Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

Anyone know why Tubridy was on before 9 this morning? Did something happen with the Breakfast Republic crew?

Don't worry though, from this week there is extra Breakfast Republic on the radio. Keith starts at 6am and does what was previously the early breakfast show. He does play some clips from the previous days Breakfast Republic. Bernard and Jen join him then from 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

AAAAARRRGHHHH, no!!! I actually liked the early breakfast show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

what has happened alan mcquillan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

what has happened alan mcquillan?

He has had a behind the scenes job in 2fm for years afaik,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

He has had a behind the scenes job in 2fm for years afaik,

yes of course he does. but why was he axed in that slot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I've been listening the last few mornings and enjoyed it, I think they've calmed down a bit since they started. And I actually like Jen, don't really understand the hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Frog Song wrote: »
    I've been listening the last few mornings and enjoyed it, I think they've calmed down a bit since they started. And I actually like Jen, don't really understand the hate.

I listened for a while at the start but couldn't take the BS any longer. Tuned in again this week and it hasn't changed, the three of them shouting over each other, Bernard and Jen doing the sport is that meant to be funny?
    Even the ads for the show annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Not a regular listener of 2fm but im enjoying the relay of rte pulse work station between 4am and 6am whit alan macquillan. Great to her some none comercial tunes on national fm. I was on today fm at that time but they play the tunes you hear over n over during the day. I must say it wakes you up at silly o clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I am enjoying it a lot more this week, with just Eoin running the show. He has a much better way about him, and I'd say RTE are using this as a trial run. Works 100 times better than the usual mess we have with the other 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Stevecw wrote: »
    I am enjoying it a lot more this week, with just Eoin running the show. He has a much better way about him, and I'd say RTE are using this as a trial run. Works 100 times better than the usual mess we have with the other 3.

Eoin did a far better job on "driveby" as well. He is a bit "shouty" but ain't as half as annoying as the other three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

The reason that Tubs went up 27K is they now start him at 8.45 - he gets that last 1/4 in his ratings
    It still means on paper that he had little of no increase - it's a trick to build share and headlines.
    Breakfast Republic have taken the show to 100k listeners, this is the worst & lowest figure in the history of 2FM breakfast.

The reason is simple, they are shockingly bad. The show is atrocious.

Then Dan Healy comes out with a line like ' We don't have a middle aged man on breakfast' which was a pop at Ian Dempsey.
    Healy, the head of 2fm has gave no reason for things going so bad so he childishly swipes at Dempsey to
    cushion his failings.

The mess gets messier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The reason that Tubs went up 27K is they now start him at 8.45 - he gets that last 1/4 in his ratings
    It still means on paper that he had little of no increase - it's a trick to build share and headlines.
    Breakfast Republic have taken the show to 100k listeners, this is the worst & lowest figure in the history of 2FM breakfast.

The reason is simple, they are shockingly bad. The show is atrocious.

Then Dan Healy comes out with a line like ' We don't have a middle aged man on breakfast' which was a pop at Ian Dempsey.
    Healy, the head of 2fm has gave no reason for things going so bad so he childishly swipes at Dempsey to
    cushion his failings.

The mess gets messier.

And they have had about 3 weeks holidays since the show has started. All 3 taken them at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've ended up hearing about 20 minutes of Breakfast Republic most mornings (herself prefers music radio to talk radio on drive to work, and I can't stand Ian Dempsey) and it's poor fair. Not absolutely atrocious, but not something I would listen to either. The jokes seem forced and very rehearsed, and the humour has a tendency to be a little off.

The lad who covered for them last week or the week before though (think he usually does the evening show) was great though, like a breath of fresh air coming through the place.

Surely having him on his own would end up being better than paying the 3 eejits. Wonder what their plan is for Jennifer Maguire's maternity too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longwave Listener

2fm should be simply closed down. It's disgraceful that such a station has been propped up by 11.5 million of tax payers money since 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

dulpit wrote: »
    Wonder what their plan is for Jennifer Maguire's maternity too?

Hopefully she takes early retirement. But she seems to be RTE's face of all things "funny" at the minute so no doubt they'll make a program that documents the struggles of a working mother or some ****e like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hopefully she takes early retirement. But she seems to be RTE's face of all things "funny" at the minute so no doubt they'll make a program that documents the struggles of a working mother or some ****e like that.
    if i was a betting man, i would put my house on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Or Miah Dunphy could fill in... Heaven forbid :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Although it has gone up in the recent Jnlr, it still has less listeners than Hector's worst book. Is it doing better in Dublin than Hector tho ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Not sure how it's doing on the JNLRs but the show is growing on me....

The music is a bit 'modern' for me but I think that Bernard and Joe have grown into the roll and are more relaxed now instead of pushing the humour.

Even Jennifer has grown on me - although still a bit too smutty. I like risque, but she's a bit too smutty.

What I would say is that shows do need time to bed in and be allowed some breathing space.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Not sure how it's doing on the JNLRs but the show is growing on me....

The music is a bit 'modern' for me but I think that Bernard and Joe have grown into the roll and are more relaxed now instead of pushing the humour.

Even Jennifer has grown on me - although still a bit too smutty. I like risque, but she's a bit too smutty.

What I would say is that shows do need time to bed in and be allowed some breathing space.

It's Keith not joe.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's Keith not joe.

Thanks for the correction...

"Keith... not Joe" is how I'll refer to him from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I agree the show is much more bearable now than I used find it, I think Bernard isn't acting as stupid as before and I much prefer the humour now as a result.

Agreed with the previous poster about Jennifer tho, they were even joking at how Jennifer heavy the show becomes from 8ish onwards and its around this time I usually change the channel. It just gets a bit shrill and annoying with the constantly trying to get the very very last word in but I realise they are all at that!

Is it still on air? This show has run its course. Time for another revamp to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

bbability wrote: »
    Is it still on air? This show has run its course. Time for another revamp to survive.

Judging by his numbers the biggest mistake they made was ever letting Dempsey go.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I agree the show is much more bearable now than I used find it, I think Bernard isn't acting as stupid as before and I much prefer the humour now as a result.
    !

I think that's what has improved it. He's better at comedy than acting the eejit.

As for Ian Dempsey, BBability, each to their own... personally I find him too bland / vanilla... there's no edge to the show and it always seems to me to be too promotion focussed - as in, they're always promoting some product or another.

2fm just doesn't have the same appeal or bite it used to have. It mattered a few years ago when Rick and Ruth were pulled after a few months. It doesn't seem to matter that its not pulling in the listeners anymore or providing a public service. 2fm is a bit like Irish Water. We need it but we don't want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭GSF

bbability wrote: »
    2fm just doesn't have the same appeal or bite it used to have. It mattered a few years ago when Rick and Ruth were pulled after a few months. It doesn't seem to matter that its not pulling in the listeners anymore or providing a public service. 2fm is a bit like Irish Water. We need it but we don't want it.
    No ones going to die of thirst without 2FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

GSF wrote: »
    No ones going to die of thirst without 2FM!

Ah, who else is going to employ Lottie Ryan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

lottie ryan haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

The show is grand. Jennifer is mildly annoying, which seems to be her main persona, so actually she's quite good at it.
    The two lads are good, Bernard is hot and cold and Keith is the obvious straight man.
    Two parts are poor, the bit with Lottie Ryan. Does she think people don't know she just got a load of info from the internet about the 'stars'?
    Lastly.....how many model turn fitness / health guru are they required to have on the show each week? In fairness there is no shortage of them but come on....!!

Advertisement