Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Looking at the 12:30/12:45 CET frame on the sat, there is a very definite eye. It's beautiful on sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

96 knot gust at Kinsale Energy! 178 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just outside Limerick. Wheelie bin has just been blown about 150 yards away into a field. Luckily it didn't do any damage on the way. The sheer force of the wind is something I haven't seen in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky News reporting it,forecaster correcting their reporters saying the rain that's passed over the UK isn't the worst of this and highlighted the strong winds hitting us atm.
    She also alluded to Friday with 40mm of rain mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Not too many Cork Kerry peeps on now - power outages knocking the net also it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

79kts @ Sherkin at 1 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Violent here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

96 knot gust at Kinsale Energy! 178 km/h

:eek::eek:
    Out of curiousity what is the strongest wind gust on record for Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Power out in Bishopstown, lights really flicking here but the gusts don't seem as strong in the last few minutes. Looking at Met Eireann short range forecast then the strongest winds should be nearly through the Cork city area by two o'clock.. Is that still correct or will the very strong gusts last longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Not too many Cork Kerry peeps on now - power outages knocking the net also it seems.

18 hours of fuel in the generator and a UPS on the PC.. we will not be taken down! :D

293508.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Sherkin still gusting 79kts. In complete contrast, Belmullet virtually calm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Absolutely mental here in Plassey, Limerick at the moment. Never seen weather like it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

79kts @ Sherkin at 1 pm.

I looked at Met.ie 5 mins ago and it was 84kts at 12:00

Deank wrote: »
    [/B]

It doesn't count because it's on a gas platform above sea level. Still, very very strong for the south coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I'm in Cork at the Airport Business park. It's incredible! Lights flickering on and off but holding out so far. I don't like the look of the lamp-post swaying around beside my car though. :(
    I also have to drive home to Tipp this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Glad I decided to re-roof my shed,the original roof would be in Gorey by now.

Belmullet 957hpa and 3kts :) In the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm in Dublin but contacted my parents in Cork a few times now this morning.

Right now, they said they have never seen anything like it. My mother, in particular, has said its frightening stuff.

Can only imagine. Wish I was there with them now though, as mad as that may sound.

Can't believe that tree fell down in Brookfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Still have power here in Tralee.

From Kerry's Eye Facebook page, O'Donnells Bar in Tralee.
    1601593_10151854194445806_750486181_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

West Clare ****in scary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Shannon is very very windy now. The airport is probably recording some pretty impressive wind speeds
    (anyone know where we can get this info?)

I looked at Met.ie 5 mins ago and it was 84kts at 12:00

Yeah just giving the next report.

No records broken at 1pm at the Met Eireann stations. Seems it peaked on the 12pm reports at the coast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Kerry county council says Tralee town is cordoned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

In CIT bishopstown posting at the moment, plenty of flickering lights etc, but no outages yet in this part of the campus.

Serious weather though hopefully that last 2 hours was the worst of it and we get a gradual easing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Deank wrote: »
    [/B]

124mph(200kmph) kilkeel county down 1974

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭tphase

cranking up in the west in the last few minutes. just had a gust of 39.8m/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Max of 79kts at 1pm, oddly Roches and Sherkin the only stations above gale force 8. From reports here and the forecasts I was expecting much more than that by now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Cork Con Rugby club has cladding blown off the new extension.
    999 system overwhelmed.km/h Cork Airport, my sheltered WS has 66km/h my other one has a flat battery.

63kts Gusting at Airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Don't understand how it's only 27kts no gusts at Shannon :confused: or maybe it's because I'm a bit further south, could be very marginal where the winds are blowing. Very violent gusts alright with even sleet in the mix:eek:

Advertisement