Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky News just reporting that 110mph winds recorded from a ship off the Irish coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

Remember when a few years ago there was heavy rain in dublin that flooded dndrum centre, it was headline new.
    This just shows what contempt RTE hold the rest of the country.

With respect, that's just bs. There's been extensive coverage of the effect the weather has had on Limerick, Cork, Galway, Kerry & Waterford over the last number of weeks. This storm landed about an hour ago - guaranteed it will be on all the main news items today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Ouch!! Will that even be covered? Act of God etc

Storm damage is covered, unless your house is basically built on a river, with some exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looks like the eye is finally moving away from Mayo, winds have been steadily picking up since launch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭roosterman71

No issues here in athlone. Just a normal february day - cloudy skies, light breeze, no rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Courtneys's circus tent blown down here in Waterford at Butlerstown Retail Park. Just passed 20 mins back; fire brigade en route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

In fairness, the track of this has been handled very well over the past 48 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Lights flickering now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Amazing reports. Quite sheltered here by the Wicklow mountains, nothing more than a breezy day here with sun and showers currently.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

homolumo wrote: »
    Courtneys's circus tent blown down here in Waterford at Butlerstown Retail Park. Just passed 20 mins back; fire brigade en route.

Circus tent? Why was it even up? :eek:

• Advertisement

No issues here in athlone. Just a normal february day - cloudy skies, light breeze, no rain

I'd say it'll pick up in the next hour or two, but not to the extent that further south is seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Yup all UCC students just recieved this by text, facebook or email

"Due to deteriorating weather conditions and dangers associated with the risk of falling slates, branches and debris please do not leave the building you are in.

The lecture timetable is suspended until further notice."

A couple of trees have gone down on campus and roof girding off some buildings (watching it come off the building across from me).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

mike65 wrote: »
    Circus tent? Why was it even up? :eek:

went up earlier in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I wish met.ie stations updated every ten minutes. Waiting an hour is too long on days like today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Had time to do a bit if a survey outside by ours. Few trees down, lots a debris. No traffic moving at all. Hearing reports of a tree down main Street Cahersiveen. Took telephone pole with it. Two ESB poles knocked by in laws house. Two trees down in their driveway.

All south kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Still gusting here in Kinsale but eased off a bit - power flickering

Glass on a bus shelter has just been smashed by the wind in Cobh (near the Cross River Ferry) Glass all over the road

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

power dipping on and off in East Clare/South Galway now.... wind seriously picked up in last 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Power gone in National Technology Park, Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kilkenny city centre,

Really after getting up the past hour (Kilkenny is one of the most sheltered areas in the country), lights flickering which never happens. Say it must be awful down the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I have to head out at 5:30.

Will it be safe? I'm in Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't risk Carlow. Have you considered relocating?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

Shannon airport closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Power dipping on/off in raheen limerick, generators could kick in here yet. Office windows flexing like mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Super-Rush wrote: »

You going to the game Super? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Sea crossing reports updated:
    Sea Crossings
    State of sea until 1200 Friday 14 February 2014
    Dublin - Holyhead High or very high, decreasing moderate to rough tomorrow.
    Rosslare - South Wales High or very high, decreasing moderate to rough tomorrow.
    Cork - South Wales High or very high, decreasing moderate to rough tomorrow.
    Rosslare - France Very high to phenomenal, decreasing rough or very rough tomorrow.
    Cork - France Very high to phenomenal, decreasing rough or very rough tomorrow.

Never ever seen "phenomenal" used before. :eek::eek:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/coastal.asp

Approx. 100,000 without power at present. Haven't seen that many since 97'.

I think it was 200000 in the Jan 74 storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

zerks wrote: »
    Sky News just reporting that 110mph winds recorded from a ship off the Irish coast.

that SHIP was a gas rig :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

25,000 without power in Kerry, many roads in north Kerry unpassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

like others have said on here, once it arrives the change in the conditions is sudden and dramatic.... safe to state that Galway City is now feeling the full effect of this storm....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

hawkwing wrote: »
    Am 9 years monitoring an Irish IT network and never saw so many sites go down in Cork/Kerry and now Limerick,Waterford--crazy :eek:

Now taking out Clare,West Tipp, and more Waterford Sites-some serious work for the ESB boys for days --and it keeps spreading :eek:

Advertisement