Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options
1808182838486»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

A comment about trees mostly down in Munster.

Munster does not experience the brunt of weather events in general, so when a big wind blows our way in ernest, we get substantial damage as the young trees may never have experienced a high wind and thus grow thinner and taller, ie, straighter.

Back in the 70's [72~73] I was a young lad training with the then FCA and our annual camp was relocated from Mallow forests as we physically could not cut our way through the fallen tress after a similar type of storm hit us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Back in the 70's [72~73] I was a young lad training with the then FCA and our annual camp was relocated from Mallow forests as we physically could not cut our way through the fallen tress after a similar type of storm hit us.

1974 I reckon:

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Jan1974_Storm.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

I thought I read on the main thread about the storm here on boards.ie that the plentiful rainfall in previous weeks had made the trees more prone to be knocked over in these officially-2kts-from-being-classed-as-a-hurricane winds ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

His annual camp would most likely have been in the summer.

Advertisement