Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Snowmaker wrote: »
    Cool, I know when I can take my smoke break.. nice little break in the weather just above my office at 2pm :-)

293503.JPG

Just went for a smoke break here in Bishopstown...bad idea. Tree down ten minutes ago which missed the smoking hut by about a foot. Stood there for 2 mins closely watching the rest of the trees before deciding discretion is the better part of valour and going back inside...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Zoney wrote: »
    Hope building site across the way secure, they're still hoisting up wall panels by crane and attaching them.

That's nuts,there are h&s regulations about lifting with a crane during windy weather.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ludo wrote: »
    Just went for a smoke break here in Bishopstown...bad idea. Tree down ten minutes ago which missed the smoking hut by about a foot. Stood there for 2 mins closely watching the rest of the trees before deciding discretion is the better part of valour and going back inside...

When people say smoking is bad for your health, I don't think they meant from falling trees! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

95,000 people without power according to the ESB.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/433584687898845184

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

OK it's here!! Bits flying off the building site. Not popping out for lunch!!

Raheen, Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Tree down in Milltown, Dingle blocking the road: https://twitter.com/dinglenews/status/433580690769444864

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Defo in the eye here now. 955.8 and falling more slowly. Sunshine with sporadic heavy showers. SSW veering SW

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

just lost power in ballincollig

just lost power in ballincollig

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

reports of roof off Cork Con

• Advertisement

Reception doors just blew in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think Twitter might be better off reporting where trees in Cork/Kerry HAVEN'T fallen :eek:

Stay safe everyone down south - wind ramping up here again in Stepaside, and spitting rain - my journey around the M50 at 3pm should be fun.....

only once though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Very calm here in mayo, it's actually turning into a nice day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Been stuck in the same building for the last 3 hours, not a sound to be heard. Missing it all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The southwest is certainly feeling the sting of the tail at the moment. Strongest winds at the most intense phase of the storm heading straight into Kerry/Cork :

http://sat24.com/en/gb?ir=false

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Power just gone here outside of macroom. Must gave been one of the last places locally still with power. Going offline to save the phone battery. Stay safe folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

alfalad wrote: »
    Looking at sky news in work, and given the fact they have only picked up how bad this is getting in the last half hour shows this seems to have caught most by surprise. A lot of south west UK was in massive trouble with flooding already so if they thought it would be this bad earlier they would have flagged it.

I have to agree with this and previous posters of the opinion that the warnings in place (boards and IWO aside) have been significantly lacking. From the amount of structural damage already reported and falling trees & obstructions I don't think enough was done. Most people I spoke to this week were not at all aware of the possibility of this event.

Hats off and a big thanks to everyone on the forum for fantastic weather forecasting. I follow regularly and recommend whenever I have an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

IT HAS STARTED...INTO THE WILDERNESS WE GO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Storm still in full force here - trees down everywhere - about 12 in my own garden so far. One blocking the road just outside the house. Easily the most frightening thing I have ever seen. As for anyone who wants a video of it -- sorry lads - life is too precious - it really is life threatening if you venture out.

• Advertisement

Tree down at Clonard Road Wexford - road closed until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

lottpaul wrote: »
    Storm still in full force here - trees down everywhere - about 12 in my own garden so far. One blocking the road just outside the house. Easily the most frightening thing I have ever seen. As for anyone who wants a video of it -- sorry lads - life is too precious - it really is life threatening if you venture out.

Window :)

Doesn't feel too safe even in a big office building here in Limerick. Windows buffetting inwards, more debris from building site next (lads have stopped hoisting stuff up needless to say!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

If someone knows how to embed this then please do

Cork.

BgRmWkmIEAABLFa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Suddenly ramping up here in Limerick City Ennis Road area. Wooden panelling at the back of the house swaying. Stuff that should have been secure having fun in the garden. Not pleasant.

There's a howl like an express train.

God Help anyone homeless in this.... Can you imagine how hard it must be not having an office or a bedroom or a living room to hide in.

Getting worse now. That panelling that I don't like (not mine, a neighbour's) is well put up but doing a haka.

How long should it last? Scared of wind and bar the dog, I'm on my own!! :(

Have to do a school run along a road with lots of tall trees at 3pm :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saorview just went off for a moment - so its not all bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Power just gone here outside of macroom. Must gave been one of the last places locally still with power. Going offline to save the phone battery. Stay safe folks!

Still have it here strangely enough. Between Bèal na Bláth and Coppeen so quite high up. Not as wild here now as it was earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Like someone flicked a switch here. Calm, even glimpses of sun and blue skies and them whoosh, the rain came in and the wind just took off. I have never seen the weather change so quickly not even during the worst squalls we have experienced here.

NW Clare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

RedFM 10 to News ‏@RedFM10toNews 3m
    The entrance to Cork Airport is closed as debris is falling from the roof

just read that on twitter :eek:

Advertisement