Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Cork Airport - 25045G67KT - Wind from 250 degrees, 45knots gusting 67 ...

124.08400 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Bright & breezy here----FOR NOW

News on Rte reporting "mini tornado"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Paschal Sheehy reporting damage in the SW,also mentioning another storm on the way in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

WOW, just saw a big branch (around 6-7 foot long) fall off a tree, and was propelled through the air like a missile, before crashing down, luckly it missed the cars and nobody is out. Amazing power in those gusts.

Stay inside, it is not worth going out in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Star Rise

Jesus... I've flinched once weather wise the past two months. The past hour I've been on the floor twice cuddling my dogs. It's borderline criminal to have the small ones in school this afternoon. God bless everyone. (Curraheen Road , Cork)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Completely calm and sunny in west Dublin. I still think talk of severe winds here are overhyped.

Has anyone else noticed that on the news when they show reports with falling trees etc the weather is always calm... take today for example... if the storm is at its height now then how come the reports showing trees down in cork depict just blustery looking weather? Is it stock footage they show?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

zerks wrote: »
    Paschal Sheehy reporting damage in the SW,also mentioning another storm on the way in the next couple of days.

I'd forget about that Friday storm for the moment, it won't be anything as severe as today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Window :)

Good idea - but my OH (+camera) is stranded somewhere in Dingle - but will try later if we can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭jirafa

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

My sister just rang me from Newcastle West in Limerick and tiles are off the roofs in most of her estate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Still very windy in Carrick-on-Suir, the rain has died away almost completely but the lights are flickering constantly, every 10-15 minutes they flicker, this has been going on since around 11a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Completely calm and sunny in west Dublin. I still think talk of severe winds here are overhyped.

Has anyone else noticed that on the news when they show reports with falling trees etc the weather is always calm... take today for example... if the storm is at its height now then how come the reports showing trees down in cork depict just blustery looking weather? Is it stock footage they show?
    Come down to cork and keep a straight face saying that.

There are dozens of trees downs, rakes of power outages and the wind is stronger than at any other time this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Bicycle wrote: »
    Suddenly ramping up here in Limerick City Ennis Road area. Wooden panelling at the back of the house swaying. Stuff that should have been secure having fun in the garden. Not pleasant.

There's a howl like an express train.

God Help anyone homeless in this.... Can you imagine how hard it must be not having an office or a bedroom or a living room to hide in.

Getting worse now. That panelling that I don't like (not mine, a neighbour's) is well put up but doing a haka.

How long should it last? Scared of wind and bar the dog, I'm on my own!! :(

Have to do a school run along a road with lots of tall trees at 3pm :(:(

Going by the short range forecast, the worst should be over by 4.30pm ish. Any chance of calling the school and getting them to hang on to the kids for an extra hour and a half and telling parents to wait until 4.30pm to collect kids? Ya know, seeing as it was they who decided to have school today and bring people out on the roads... why put all the kids and all their parents at risk when hanging on for a little bit would make matters much safer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I think you just haven't experienced them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

This tree took down phone lines and is blocking the Lee Road in Cork. Just beyond the UCC Environmental Research Institute. The power brownouts are killing the instruments.

Mental wind.

w7bu5w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Gone absolutely mental in East Limerick. Watching a crane swaying in the distance, horizontal rain... Proper, proper storm now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭jirafa

leahyl wrote: »
    If someone knows how to embed this then please do

293506.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Front blown off the Venue bar Ballintemple Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ignore SnowStorm2013, he is just a wind-up merchant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

some_dose wrote: »
    Eerily calm here in Waterford

Wondering how long it would take for a troll to arrive. Calm here but dont for one second doubt the ferocity in the south west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

South Tipp - stuff moving in my garden that hasn't moved before - bins are bungeed down but have broken loose.

Most amusingly, my car is like a bucking bronco in the driveway, looks like it's going to take off!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Part of Waterford City has lost power now. Still ok here for the moment anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

The entrance to Cork Airport is closed as debris is falling from the roof

I wonder is there debris falling off the roof of the old Airport which sits idle next to that monstrous waste of tax payers money that is the bright new modern,shiny,disfunctional and not-windresistant NEW airport building..... thats a discussion for another day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Star Rise wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Just signed up to say a massive thank you. Have been glued to this forum for past two months and really appreciate all the actionable advice given here. The local radio station here in Cork are only NOW alerting people. Crazy.

have to agree, great forum, I am learning so much about the weather thanks everyone.

really helped pass the time this morning when I was up with the baby :)
    Villain wrote: »
    Tullow 98.2 km/h at 10:09am, I expect Phase 2 to be higher
    really starting to build up here now, I am in Carlow town

just saw this on facebook

UPDATE: Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail say no services are currently operating between Mallow/Cork, Mallow/Tralee and Cork/Cobh/Midleton due to debris on the line.

We also have multiple reports of trees down and vehicles overturned on roads in Cork, Kerry and Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Image at 1208UTC.

293507.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Powerback here in Tramore, fair play to the ESB guys in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

jirafa wrote: »
    293506.jpg

is that brookfield??:eek:
    hope no one was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We should all consult this person on what god they pray to, how in the name of (insert later) did that miss the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Part of an old oak tree down in back garden....east Limerick....horrendous winds.

Advertisement