Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Storm of Wednesday 12/02/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Lots of power outages around Cork now, check https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/index.html for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Thankfully the storm has passed in Dublin. Sunshine now. Apart from one wheelie bin down nothing of note here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Another tree down...
    @aaroadwatch tree down on Cobh road at wildlife park

https://twitter.com/GardaCork/status/433572233299374080

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

busymum1 wrote: »
    picking up again here in western suburbs Cork, some very strong gusts now but dry. A roof came off in one of the school buildings in Bishopstown https://twitter.com/lensdan/status/433566929144778752/photo/1
    A tree looks like it's coming down in our garden, moved the car so hopefully it won't hit anything. the one next to it looks a bit dodgy for the neighbour's roof if the wind keeps picking up. I have to head to work in about two hours, not looking forward to it.
    on a red alter the schools should have been closed poor kids, hope all are safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Bacchus wrote: »
    Looks calm and bright out here in Mahon, Cork. Hard to imagine what's happening everywhere else!

Except that tree in the back of our car park - the tree is down. :D

I'm in Mahon, Cork area as well.

P.S. Lights just went out for a sec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

155 km/h at Sherkin @ 12pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

84 Kt gust Sherkin Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Sherkin Island gusting at 84kts now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Thankfully the storm has passed in Dublin. Sunshine now. Apart from one wheelie bin down nothing of note here.

The storm hasnt really affected Dublin yet- It will in a few hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Bacchus wrote: »
    Looks calm and bright out here in Mahon, Cork. Hard to imagine what's happening everywhere else!

It might be sunny, but it sure is windy!

Power just went fully out for a second here in Southside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Speak Now

84 kts Sherkin Island :eek: 155.6 kph, not far off 100mph. Mean over 100 kph as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Eh, there's plenty more where that came from.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Passed? It hasnt even reached yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It hasn't hit Dublin yet,what we got this morning on the East coast is only the prelude to what's on the way.The worst of it is only starting to hit the South West now & will be moving across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was on the industrial estate in Tramore/waterford a little while ago and opened the car door to get in. A sudden gust of wind ripped it out of my hand and slammed it, catching quite a lot of my coat, and my bag, in the door, and flattening me against the car, but fortunately only clothing was actually caught. It was frighteningly violent, only a very minor incident but I decided that going home and hiding from the storm might be a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 corkeweather

96mph gust at Sherkin on 1200 reports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Except that tree in the back of our car park - the tree is down. :D

I'm in Mahon, Cork area as well.

P.S. Lights just went out for a sec.

I'm in City Gate. The buildings are probably sheltering the court yard from the wind a bit. Looks calm and bright from my desk but I think I'll stay indoors all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Near Macroom in west Cork...
    we seem to be in a lull phase, very gusty but some blue cloud appearing on and off, not much rain either.
    Not as bad as it peaked at in Phase 1 this morning.
    so far so good, expecting it to worsen based on the tracking of phase 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Thanks guys. Took my eye off the ball there regarding the storm in Dublin this afternoon. I hope others don't think that its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok and I'm back in action - electricity just went in work so computer shut down! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Kinsale gas rig up to 68kts now and gusting 86kts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

looksee wrote: »
    I was on the industrial estate in Tramore/waterford a little while ago and opened the car door to get in. A sudden gust of wind ripped it out of my hand and slammed it, catching quite a lot of my coat, and my bag, in the door, and flattening me against the car, but fortunately only clothing was actually caught. It was frighteningly violent, only a very minor incident but I decided that going home and hiding from the storm might be a good idea!

Had a similar experience years ago, learned to get in the "quiet side" of the car when in gusty weather from then on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Lights flickering in western suburbs cork now. Roof starting to make noise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

calm enough here in Howth at the moment... Not gusting much beyond a F5 by the looks of the trees overhead. Was easily blowing a 10 earlier. Love a bit of wind. Hope the eejits aren't on the pier...

Webcam and weather station from hill of Howth available here (but is sheltered from S & SW iirc): http://islandbawn.com/

Webcam from Aqua restaurant on the end of the west pier in Howth here: http://www.camworxlive.com/camera/63643 (almost looks tropical atm...

qozh4h.png

Webcam from Howth Yacht club here: http://hyc.ie/live/winWebcam.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,345 ✭✭✭Macy0161

SeaFields wrote: »
    Smartphone for the win!

If only batteries lasted longer!
    Last time the power went here it took put the mobile tower too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Unbelievable here in Tralee, never seen winds as bad,it's raining slates and ridge tiles!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Apparently a tornado reported in Roscommon , anyone hear anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

Tree branches flying through the air--dangerous--North Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Apparently a tornado reported in Roscommon , anyone hear anything?

Was on RTE radio earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Eerily calm here in Waterford

Advertisement