Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

vicwatson wrote: »
    How is Kilkenny and environs today people?

Kilkenny city centre, 2pm heavy rain showers, nothing much in the wind department. Temp seems to have risen a little over the morning, feeling milder now.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Gonzo wrote: »
    clearing up now all of a sudden and breaks in the clouds and feeling milder over past few minutes. Temperatures are into double figures over parts of Cork and Kerry and these temperatures are spreading north so any snow in low lying parts of the north and west won't last long.

actually snow getting heavier in mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

http://77.74.50.157/cfw/

Cork Flood Watch website. If the level of the river goes over 5 metres then there may be significant flooding.

From Cork City Council Web site
    n association with the forecast storm conditions for Friday 14th February, a predicted storm surge to coincide with the astronomical high tide may give rise to flooding of streets in the City.

High Tide is predicted for 17:36

During this period, prior to and after this tide, there is a risk of Tidal Flooding in the City as indicated.

Heavy rain is also predicted for Friday from 6.00 am to 6.00 pm. This will lead to additional ponding on streets while the river levels are high.

The estimated period of most Flood impact on the city is between 16:00 and 19:00 Friday

It is possible that flooding may occur in the low lying areas of the City Centre including in particular Infirmary Road, South Terrace, Trinity Bridge, Rutland Street, Sawmill Street, Cotter Street, Union Quay, Morrisons Quay, Proby’s Quay, Crosses Green, Sharman Crawford St, Wandesford Quay, Lavitts Quay, Kyrls Quay, Coal Quay and Lapps Quay.

Other Areas at potential risk are South Mall, Oliver Plunkett Street, Pembroke St., Winthrop Street, Kennedy Quay, Centre Park Road, Monahan’s Road, Georges Quay, North Mall, Penrose Quay, and the low lying areas of the City Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like that band of showers coming up from the south are intensifying. Dry here for about half an hour. Light rain again now.
    Lashing near Arklow.
    Genny going full belt,still no sign of Esb to fix power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

whitebriar wrote: »
    Lashing near Arklow.
    Genny going full belt,still no sign of Esb to fix power.

I was thinking *what a dirty b*****d!? :eek: ...oh wait...*

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

actually snow getting heavier in mayo!

the mild air will be with you very shortly, at the moment Galway city to about Dundalk and southwards is very mild, north of that is still very cold, the mild air should eventually reach you and other parts of leitrim, Monaghan, Cavan within the next hour or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

snaps wrote: »
    Good for morale, even if they just done a walk around, but problem is the press focus on them and not what's going on around them.
    Say what you want about the Brits, but my god they have it bad. Something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.
    They love the old 1940 Churchill, Blitz, Battle of Britain spirit don't they. :D
    But seriously though I'm glad for their sake that the heaviest of the rain (so far) stayed to the south out in the English Channel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain here again but much milder than earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Perhaps an improving trend on this mornings gfs ensembles towards the end of the month with pressure rising .

293999.png

The country really needs some dry cold frosty weather now to draw out the moisture in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Image at 1322 UTC.

294008.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Low centre is now moving into west Munster and will drift northeast this evening reaching the Isle of Man by about midnight. Some gusty showers and isolated thunderstorms with hail may develop through the inland southeast from now to about 7 p.m., followed by an interval of slack winds in that region.

Northwest winds will develop overnight on the west coast reaching peak gusts of perhaps 120 km/hr in exposed parts of Mayo, Galway, Clare and Kerry, 100 km/hr in Donegal. There could be some minor tree damage given the after-effects of the stronger storm on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A slighter tighter squeeze in the gradient over the far south overnight than on some previous output but just small changes.

gfs-0-12.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Parked on the front strand in Youghal, sea is very rough but staying where it's supposed to! Very heavy showers but not lasting long thankfully. Really hoping for some dry, settled weather in the coming weeks, the entire country needs to dry out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Its coming down like a monsoon in cork.
    Surface flooding is very bad.
    Tonight is a cert for tidal flooding perhaps the worst yet!

FYI, we've had a massive 27mm of rain since midnight, that almost aLL FELL IN A SHORT TIME. My PC rebooted for undates so I don't have over night real time data.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Parked on the front strand in Youghal, sea is very rough but staying where it's supposed to! Very heavy showers but not lasting long thankfully. Really hoping for some dry, settled weather in the coming weeks, the entire country needs to dry out

Looks like more rain on the way on Monday. But sure it's winter and Ireland, its never too far away. :pac:

gfs-2-66.png?12

Cork :
    Anglers Rest station offline due to power failure after storm and land is too flooded to get in to repair or for us to install battery pack.

At approx 14:00 on Feb 14th water level is very high with all fields downstream substantially flooded - rough estimate suggests flow is well above 200m3/s at this site at around this time.

Anglers%20View2.jpg
    The Station at the Angler's Rest is located downstream of where the river Shournagh joins the Lee. Water Levels here are greatly influenced by discharge rates from Inniscarra Dam. Again, this station uses a local datum. A water level of 2.5m at this station is associated with flows in excess of 150m3/s and normally involves flooding of the Lee fields. High flows at this site influence high water in the downstream tidal zone.

http://77.74.50.157/cfw/default.aspx

at this stage ive lost my interest in have a cold easterly it can now wait till next winter. There is nothing I want more now than a few solid weeks of dry, sunny conditions with frosty nights and crisp air. I have hardly had the chance to go for a nice walk/spend time outside since the beginning of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

calm and dry now in limk spring like
    heavy rain early on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Gonzo wrote: »
    at this stage ive lost my interest in have a cold easterly it can now wait till next winter. There is nothing I want more now than a few solid weeks of dry, sunny conditions with frosty nights and crisp air. I have hardly had the chance to go for a nice walk/spend time outside since the beginning of December.

Here ya goes Gonzo !

Hope ya feel some warmth from this ! :P

294028.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Horrible filthy evening in Monaghan/Cavan with 2 inches of water underfoot that can't get away through the slush. Would prefer almost any other kind of weather to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Here ya goes Gonzo !

Looks like Cork city is escaping with just minor flooding.

Looks like Cork city is escaping with just minor flooding.

Very few reports so far, Sharman Crawford Street and Proby's Quay but no report of ingress [yet].

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gerald Fleming was on radio while ago talking about another storm for Wednesday?? Apologies, I haven't had a chance to read through last few pages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Relative calm here now after some downpours this afternoon. Rainfall since Midnight 19.8mm. Max gust was 94.5km/h.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

leahyl wrote: »
    Gerald Fleming was on radio while ago talking about another storm for Wednesday?? Apologies, I haven't had a chance to read through last few pages.

Looks like something kicking out from that main low out in the atlantic. Too soon to say though I'm sure, 126 hours out...

gfs-0-126.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flemishgael

Carrigaline dry so far but tide exceptionally high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

:rolleyes::rolleyes: think the county council may have gone a little bit over board.

• Advertisement

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes: think the county council may have gone a little bit over board.

City Council certainly did anyway, closed the City effectively and announced road closures from a time, flood or no flood.

I'm fuming as I had a job cancelled this evening that I now have to do tomorrow which would have been my only night off.

Advertisement