Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterford in the clear, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Heavy driving rain,not looking forward to have to go out in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some hefty rainfall rates if these are accurate , radar can have trouble in this big frontal rain events.

293941.png

Dark reds are 25mm + / hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mike65 wrote: »
    Waterford in the clear, is that it?

it has not started yet,
    i think we are about to get a beating this evening,
    needle on barometer is not on way up yet, when that starts going up, the wind will start.
    needle low at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

there was not a leaf moving 10 minuits ago, but they are starting to shake now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

Craigels wrote: »
    Relatively calm here on limerick, is it the calm before the storm or are we been given a break for once

Just wondering the same thing myself..........

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Lashing rain and wild wind here - the birds are having skit by the looks of it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

So the front of our house faces south... The long side of it faces east. Directly east of the property boundary is a field full of old trees in very waterlogged ground. Strange sounds being heard at the moment, hoping it's odd sounding thunder!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

This type of weather is depressing... you only get wet snow from a westerly direction anyway...to get any meaningful snow you have to have an east/northeast set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Rain all morning has turned to sleet here now.
    Not as blustery as earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Its absolutely bucketing down here for the last hour, ive escaped flooding so far this winter, not sure how long that will last if this keeps up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

So the front of our house faces south... The long side of it faces east. Directly east of the property boundary is a field full of old trees in very waterlogged ground. Strange sounds being heard at the moment, hoping it's odd sounding thunder!

It is a worrying time for a lot of folks with trees around their property.
    Lots of high winds the last few months and now a lot of rain makes for very loose trees :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

There won't be tidal flooding tonight in Cork, the wind will be westerly by tonight and the storm depression will nave moved NE reducing the risk of a tidal storm surge. I think the greatest risk of flooding in Cork city centre is now with E/SE gales and pressure at it's lowest but I've no idea what time high tide is in Cork?

I am relatively new to reading charts, so apologies in advance for my ignorance! I'm just looking at the Met eireann short range charts and trying to reconcile these with the comment above. It looks to me as if the centre of the system will pass over the south coast at Kerry and Cork from 6pm-8pm, with stronger gusts and possibly squalls to follow judging by the tight gradients behind it. With high tide in Cork at 18.35 and high tide in Limerick at 18.49, I'd have thought further flooding in these areas is a strong possibility later this evening? Would be very happy to stand corrected on this.

As an aside, thanks so much to all on the Weather forum and this thread in particular for the fascinating input and discussion over the last couple of months - now back to lurking :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

We're heading to Cork tomorrow and staying in the Clarion which is right on the water. I'm just wondering if anyone has any local knowledge on the best place to park our bikes that will be close to the hotel so we can keep an eye on them but away from any potential flooding.
    There is parking at the hotel but I'm assuming that's underground and probably not the best idea?
    I'd really appreciate a reply if anyone has any suggestions.
    Thanks

Birdster wrote: »
    Just wondering the same thing myself..........

Yous are under the low centre now , wont get much worse , just more rain perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

We're heading to Cork tomorrow and staying in the Clarion which is right on the water. I'm just wondering if anyone has any local knowledge on the best place to park our bikes that will be close to the hotel so we can keep an eye on them but away from any potential flooding.
    There is parking at the hotel but I'm assuming that's underground and probably not the best idea?
    I'd really appreciate a reply if anyone has any suggestions.
    Thanks

Clarion underground carpark has never flooded as far as i am aware, I have worked in the hotel in the past.
    Then again,You never know what could happen and yes it is right on the riverside.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

It's come to something when the AA warn us of Dry conditions :Dhttp://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=23179

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

zerks wrote: »
    Posted in the Wexford forum that the Slaney is rising but all the sandbags that were deployed for the last threat have been removed,I've a feeling the town won't be so lucky this time.

Tonights tide will be below this mornings and by evening wind should have changed to a more westerly direction so less chance of a significant tidal surge.

Saturday morning is the highest tide of the current cycle which might cause an issue up river in Enniscorthy if there was more continuous rain upstream in Wexford/Carlow. That said level of river at Enniscorthy is over a metre below the level which gave cause for concern last Wednesday. We'll have a better idea of the amount of rainfall this afternoon but I think we'd need a lot more before flooding would be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Heaving landing snow here in Monaghan/Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

It's come to something when the AA warn us of Dry conditions :Dhttp://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=23179

My friend's dad said that it can actually be lethal on the roads when it dries up after a rain shower. There is some grime on the road that can cause accidents. This could be the reason for the warning. :s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Smidge wrote: »
    It is a worrying time for a lot of folks with trees around their property.
    Lots of high winds the last few months and now a lot of rain makes for very loose trees :eek:

Yep, I think a lot of weakened trees will come down today in this wind.

Take care folks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

clearing up now all of a sudden and breaks in the clouds and feeling milder over past few minutes. Temperatures are into double figures over parts of Cork and Kerry and these temperatures are spreading north so any snow in low lying parts of the north and west won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Sky news- prince harry & william are helping with sandbags (no comment):rolleyes:

Good for morale, even if they just done a walk around, but problem is the press focus on them and not what's going on around them.
    Say what you want about the Brits, but my god they have it bad. Something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I can see clearly now the Rain has gone, i can see all obstacles.....ah ye know the rest.

Brightening up and rapidly getting milder now, enjoy the snow while it lasts, Floods are sure to follow.

Some strikes near Omagh .

293964.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Ah haha i laugh in your face storm....

76d3d34937ec5f9cef780917ba01faaf651b76ea8705a6d49accf9e3e804c6b2.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dry here now with even a glimpse of sun. 14.4mm of rain this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How is Kilkenny and environs today people?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well right this minute, the sun is out, all is calm and lovely. I can get to the bottom of the garden to retrieve the pots with the daffs all blooming!

But for how long?

Hope rest of the country is getting some respite.

Am in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like that band of showers coming up from the south are intensifying. Dry here for about half an hour. Light rain again now.

Advertisement