Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is this the end of the Storm Conveyor belt? or is there more potential storms lurking out there in the mid Atlantic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It's absolutely pouring rain in Cork City right now and the wind is howling.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's flooding.

If this becomes the new normal, I'll have to emigrate. I don't think I could actually live in this kind of weather long term. It's starting to really become more than just 'interesting'.

The summer was good though. If we had good summers I wouldn't mind bad winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

After the threat of Snow before the rain in this part of the country, i can confirm that........there is no Snow, it is the Good old Rain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is this the end of the Storm Conveyor belt? or is there more potential storms lurking out there in the mid Atlantic?

This looks like the end of it for the near term anyway. Things can change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I was talking to a guy from England who lives in the Thames Valley yesterday, he's under threat of evacuation and he said there's an apocalyptic mood. A feeling that it's almost something biblical or medieval, that it's that bad, the slow rising of the rivers...jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I was talking to a guy from England who lives in the Thames Valley yesterday, he's under threat of evacuation and he said there's an apocalyptic mood. A feeling that it's almost something biblical or medieval, that it's that bad, the slow rising of the rivers...jaysus

I know we have had flooding over here but the sheer scale of the floods over there is unreal ,

Scary stuff , we think we can control nature but in truth it controls us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Cork and its ****ty windy wet weather!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This looks like the end of it for the near term anyway. Things can change though.

Until the jetstream moves back to its normal trajectory, it's possible and likely this will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Looking at rain today radar and it looks like where I am in Bray might get off lightly from this. Only spitting rain ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

In Cork, Windy as hell. Some big enough gusts. Had to move a tree away from the front of the estate earlier with a few other lads. Big estate with one way in and out. Workers were all thanking us, school kids were giving us the evils!! Ha.

• Advertisement

Gusting to 90 km/h in Waterford now.

The heaviest rain over the southwest now will be moving eastwards over the morning and early afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

no power in cork city on and off what is going on, could there be more trees falling please not ,
    ESB workers are great fair play to them hard workers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Foul wet and windy weather in Limerick. Damage not over yet, lots weakened from the storm. Woke this morning to find fascia from neighbours gable in bits over our garden. A lot of roofs with holes for the wind and rain to get into, loose slates ready to fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

dave1982 wrote: »
    Cork and its ****ty windy wet weather!!

Never seen so much surface water in the city. In a 10 minute walk I was completely drenched, cars also played a part in it but I don't think i remember driving rain/hail and wind like it.

Definitely time for the spare change of clothes at work.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

Wind and rain has changed to wind and snow. Miserable out there.

North Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

56kt gust at Valentia. I wonder if it being an Easterly gale - complete opposite from Wednesday - has an even more weakening effect on loose trees or structures particularly in the South and Southwest?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Just started to snow here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

Planning to drive from Limerick to Mayo this evening, think it'll be OK or advise against it? It'd be motorway as far as Gort.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

It's not as bad as Wed!

CORK AIRPORT 31 Gust 52

Kinsale Energy 45 gust 59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Very heavy rain on the way to Carrick-on-Suir this morning, a few fairly strong gusts as well but nothing very bad. About a half hour ago there was a heavy rain shower with some hailstones but it's died back to rain now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

D.Campbell wrote: »
    no power in cork city on and off what is going on, could there be more trees falling please not ,
    ESB workers are great fair play to them hard workers

for average wage of 85K, id be out there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

SpaceTime wrote: »
    If this becomes the new normal, I'll have to emigrate. I don't think I could actually live in this kind of weather long term. It's starting to really become more than just 'interesting'.

It will for a while it's just another pattern change, they happen all the time, we've been in a relatively benign pattern for the last twenty years, at varying times children grow up never knowing a fine summer, I was lucky as my own childhood was filled with very warm summer [thought I did not appreciate it then].

They say that this pattern is more suited to Iceland, but one will find evidence around our coast that would suggest this is not so robust an idea.

We have left a period of 'cold' and are entering a period of warm, warm bring more wet and stormy weather interspaced with blinding scorching sunshine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Bad morning out there,thank god i didnt make any repairs from the last one!! my heating is on full blast but my house is still freezing from the wind gusts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Fierce wind and rain in Waterford City at moment. Sat in car waiting for a lull to get out. Car is shaking with force of wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Red Nissan wrote: »
    It will for a while it's just another pattern change, they happen all the time, we've been in a relatively benign pattern for the last twenty years, at varying times children grow up never knowing a fine summer, I was lucky as my own childhood was filled with very warm summer [thought I did not appreciate it then].

They say that this pattern is more suited to Iceland, but one will find evidence around our coast that would suggest this is not so robust an idea.

We have left a period of 'cold' and are entering a period of warm, warm bring more wet and stormy weather interspaced with blinding scorching sunshine.
    Yep, I'll take that. I can handle a wet and windy winter if I get a warm sunny summer.

I'm old enough to remember long hot summers here in Ireland. I got the worst sunburn of my life as a young lad.... at Easter! My Birthday is very early May and I remember many a birthday party in the garden in warm sunshine.

I lived in southern Spain for many years and you get to the stage where you yearn for a good winter spell with air that you can takle a deep lungful of, and feel that you've just had a refreshing cold drink. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Is this expected to carry on all day in Cork? Or is the system expected to pass fairly quickly? Horrible rain up at the airport, wind doesn't seem to be as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Its coming down like a monsoon in cork.
    Surface flooding is very bad.
    Tonight is a cert for tidal flooding perhaps the worst yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Turning to wet snow here now west of Arklow.
    Rain/wet snow mix just 2 miles inland meaning snow highly likely in west Wicklow kildare and hills.
    Very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Rain is very bad here in Ringaskiddy. Still no power in the house at home!!!

• Advertisement

33kt crosswind at Waterford airport.

Advertisement