Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cadetships 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Smurf8

According to Dail Debates on the 30th of April, Shatter confirmed that there would be,

20 Army
    9 Air corps
    11 Navy

Cadetships in 2014, I tried to past in the link but I'm not allowed as I'm a new user but if you got to dail debates and look at questions for the 30th of April you'll see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Dail report
    Minister for Defence (Deputy Alan Shatter): Information on Alan Shatter Zoom on Alan Shatter Arrangements are currently underway to hold a Cadetship Competition for the Army, Air Corps and Naval Service in 2014. It is planned to award a total of 40 cadetships from this competition comprising of twenty (20) Army, nine (9) Air Corps and eleven (11) Naval Service. Details of the competition will be made available on the Defence Forces website www.military.ie when the competition commences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SShea92

Anyone know what the stages will be like. Will it be run like the general recruitment and wil the aptitude tests be more or a less the same etc.?

SShea92 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the stages will be like. Will it be run like the general recruitment and wil the aptitude tests be more or a less the same etc.?

Probably similar to last year online test followed by the top 300 or so called for a supervised retest in Abbey street to make sure you didn’t get someone else to take the test for you, then onto the assessment centre in the Curragh, then interview, medical and if your lucky offer.

It feels like forever when your waiting to hear back between stages

Smurf8 wrote: »
    Probably similar to last year online test followed by the top 300 or so called for a supervised retest in Abbey street to make sure you didn’t get someone else to take the test for you, then onto the assessment centre in the Curragh, then interview, medical and if your lucky offer.

It feels like forever when your waiting to hear back between stages

Any idea when the compulsory attended tests will be? An online test is grand, but i'll be out of the country in the middle of june and do not want to miss the fitness test or group assesment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

Xios wrote: »
    Any idea when the compulsory attended tests will be? An online test is grand, but i'll be out of the country in the middle of june and do not want to miss the fitness test or group assesment.

Last year the supervised aptitude tests were around mid June and the overnights were the first few couple of weeks in July, can't remember exact dates

I have no clue about this year mate, its difficult to plan anything when this pops up, I had to ditch a weeks holiday last year when I got through to the 2nd stage!

Has anyone seen the "General Terms and Conditions Booklet" I can't find it on the website maybe they are only sending them out to people who submit the online application..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Duckzilla

Lads! I'm 18 on the 24th of May. Is there any way possible that I'll be looked at as an eligible candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SShea92

This is from military.ie, 'Be 18 years of age or above and under 28 years of age on the deemed as the closing date for applications.' That date is the 18th of May so id be saying its unlikely.

Duckzilla wrote: »
    Lads! I'm 18 on the 24th of May. Is there any way possible that I'll be looked at as an eligible candidate?

Apply anyway. Worst they can do is say no, best that can happen is they say yes.

• Advertisement

Anyone who applied on the 2nd, did you get a fitness test yet like the recruits(within a week of applying) or will the cadets do their fitness assessment alongside the team/group assesment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EventHorizon88

Got an email informing that for the online Psychometric Testing. Candidates will be required to have internet access for a period of time between 22 - 31 May 2014.

tomato1988 wrote: »
    Last year the supervised aptitude tests were around mid June and the overnights were the first few couple of weeks in July, can't remember exact dates

Were the overnights on a weekend? Or during the week, i'm just really hopin it doesn't fall on the 12th, as that's my sisters wedding :(

Were the overnights on a weekend? Or during the week, i'm just really hopin it doesn't fall on the 12th, as that's my sisters wedding :(

Well somtimes you have to put your career first and your personal life second:) the cadets stay in the majority of weekends on there 15 month course, but as far as I am aware they conduct the overnight during weekdays but we need to wait till June to be sure.

Well somtimes you have to put your career first and your personal life second:) the cadets stay in the majority of weekends on there 15 month course, but as far as I am aware they conduct the overnight during weekdays but we need to wait till June to be sure.

Yes, I agree, but its different being in the job and having the prospect of the job. To miss my only sisters wedding on a gamble is a big deal, so it'll be a rough decision to make.

Yes, I agree, but its different being in the job and having the prospect of the job. To miss my only sisters wedding on a gamble is a big deal, so it'll be a rough decision to make.

If you mean Saturday the 12th of July then don't worry. It won't be on a weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 salthilldave

anyone want any insde information on applying for a cadetship in the Air Corps drop me a Pm and ill fill ya in .
    Still plenty of contacts insde the Blue railings , wink wink.

anyone want any insde information on applying for a cadetship in the Air Corps drop me a Pm and ill fill ya in .
    Still plenty of contacts insde the Blue railings , wink wink.

Any insight into how challenging the online and sit down psychometric test are?

Any insight into how challenging the online and sit down psychometric test are?

If its anything like the Gardai tests, you'll be sent practice material and told what you'll be tested on. I found that once i understood what the tests were trying to determine, it got much easier, I linked the gardai practice site in this thread or another one, can't seem to find it.

Found it.
    I've applied as well, if it's anything like the Gardai application process, they'll do numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and inductive reasoning tests.

Practice them here. http://www.shldirect.com/en/practice-tests/

Got this in an email.

Anyone know what the story is with “Terms and Conditions booklet” for 2014 Cadetship competition?

They don’t seem to have bothered issuing one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 dalyga

Has anybody received any email from the AirCorps since applications closed?

I thought I had something by this time last year? I received the "reciept of application email".

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kneedown

dalyga wrote: »
    Has anybody received any email from the AirCorps since applications closed?

I thought I had something by this time last year? I received the "reciept of application email".

I've only recieved the same, but with the closing date being Sunday night i wouldn't expect to have anything just yet. It'll take a few days to line up the stages and dates based on the number of applicants before they start filtering through and sending out the invites etc.
    Only guessing though.

Just got this in an email.
    WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
    Stage 2 -Assessment Centre
    Successful candidates from Stage 1 will be required to attend an Assessment Centre during the period 30 June to 11 July 2014, in the Curragh Camp, Kildare.

Stage 3- Interview
    Successful candidates from Stage 2 will be required to attend an Interview, during the period 21 July - 15 August 2014, in the Curragh camp, Kildare. The week preceding the interview candidates will be sent a link to complete an online Occupational Personality Questionnaire during the period 15 June-17 July.

Just did my tests there. Not sure if the tests were much harder than the Gardai ones, but i only managed to get 25-30 in the verbal and numerical tests, and some were not certain answers.

Did all but the final question in the discovery rules though, that was easy enough. (or so i think)

anyone else wanna post how they've done so i can feel reasurred that i didn't **** it up :D

Just did my tests there. Not sure if the tests were much harder than the Gardai ones, but i only managed to get 25-30 in the verbal and numerical tests, and some were not certain answers.

Did all but the final question in the discovery rules though, that was easy enough. (or so i think)

anyone else wanna post how they've done so i can feel reasurred that i didn't **** it up :D

Were the verbal and numerical the same format as last year? (If you applied last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

1,800 Apply to Fill Just 42 Defence Force Posts For Cadets
    A breakdown shows that the Army was the most popular option with 997 applications received for the 20 places available.

The odds are staked even further against the 480 people who applied for the Air Corps where there are just nine places on offer – or a one in 53 chance of success.

Some 235 people applied for the 11 spaces available in the Naval Service Operations and Engineers competition while the Army Equitation received 114 applications for just two positions.

For the Army that’s better odds then last year, with 1419 people applying for 18 spots in 2013.

The independent done a article on it last year as well, but because I’m considered a new user I’m unable to post the link, but it was published on the My 30th, with the heading "Thousands battle it out for a handful of Defence Posts Auther was Sam Griffin.

For the Army that’s better odds then last year, with 1419 people applying for 18 spots in 2013.

The independent done a article on it last year as well, but because I’m considered a new user I’m unable to post the link, but it was published on the May 30th, with the heading "Thousands battle it out for a handful of Defence Posts Auther was Sam Griffin.

Smurf8 wrote: »

The independent done a article on it last year as well, but because I’m considered a new user I’m unable to post the link, but it was published on the May 30th, with the heading "Thousands battle it out for a handful of Defence Posts Auther was Sam Griffin.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/thousands-battle-for-a-handful-of-defence-force-posts-29307392.html

• Advertisement

tomato1988 wrote: »
    Were the verbal and numerical the same format as last year? (If you applied last year)

I didn't apply last year, but it was the same testing system that the Gardai used.

Advertisement