Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cadetships 2014

Options
  • 25-11-2013 5:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hi i am currently 17 years old and really have little to alright knowledge about applying or selection for the cadets for the Irish defense forces and also im brand new to forums and boards so im sorry if i posted it in the wrong place or something.
    basically i want to know
    - is it hard .. how hard to get picked
    - im worried about my vision capabilities ive good vision but my right eye just a bit weak ?
    - im also planning on joining the FCA/RDF and applying and then to PDF then applying again because i have one less honors subject in C3 from my LC and how long or who does the LC results or requirements stand for or is it for everyone not just school leavers (im currently in college)
    so yeah please help what does the application require and such thanks for any help ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Before you go much further you'll need to do some remedial work on your written use of English.

...and now, I'll just sit this one out.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

hi i am currently 17 years old and really have little to alright knowledge about applying or selection for the cadets for the Irish defense forces and also im brand new to forums and boards so im sorry if i posted it in the wrong place or something.
    basically i want to know
    - is it hard .. how hard to get picked
    - im worried about my vision capabilities ive good vision but my right eye just a bit weak ?
    - im also planning on joining the FCA/RDF and applying and then to PDF then applying again because i have one less honors subject in C3 from my LC and how long or who does the LC results or requirements stand for or is it for everyone not just school leavers (im currently in college)
    so yeah please help what does the application require and such thanks for any help ..

My recommendation is get your college degree first because it will greatly improve your chances. Work on your fitness while doing that and get involved in some sports teams or activity groups. Everytime the PDF recruits nowadays there seems to be thousands apply for just a handful of places so you really want to try and shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Go on to the military.ie careers page and you'll get most of your information there, from entry requirements (including vision), to application process and what's involved in the cadetship.

Is it the Army, Air Corps or Navy you're interested in? There's a lot of competition for all three branches but there's usually more places in the Army than in the Air Corps and Navy.

Even as a graduate you'll still need to meet the minimum Leaving Cert requirements although they are very slightly different than for school leavers insofar as if you're missing a subject you can complete it in a separate sitting and it will count. School leavers have to have all the subjects in one sitting.

Not sure how much help trying to join the RDF would be as there's such a long wait for recruitment you'd be more likely to get a cadetship sooner.

And if you're applying next year, the likes of KC Training and testpreparations.ie do courses to prepare you for the aptitude tests and Carr Communications do training courses for the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭colm911

Anybody know if the defence forces are running these for 2014? All areas, air, army and naval ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I just head about this here, http://www.thejournal.ie/army-recruitment-march-1306318-Feb2014/

Not sure if i'm reading the table right, but i think they need 70 new privates and 80 new lieutenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Xios wrote: »
    I just head about this here, http://www.thejournal.ie/army-recruitment-march-1306318-Feb2014/

Not sure if i'm reading the table right, but i think they need 70 new privates and 80 new lieutenants.

The table was accurate before the last commissioning, a few weeks ago. If are already 73 cadets in training(who class as privates for stats purposes) so there are in reality currently only 7 lieutenant vacancies.

The table was accurate before the last commissioning, a few weeks ago. If are already 73 cadets in training(who class as privates for stats purposes) so there are in reality currently only 7 lieutenant vacancies.

Well, there goes all my optimism for the cadetship this year.

There has been cadetships every year, regardless of whether there is recruitment or not. The Class size is the only variable.

There has been cadetships every year, regardless of whether there is recruitment or not. The Class size is the only variable.

Aye, but the smaller the class, the fiercer the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

There has been cadetships every year, regardless of whether there is recruitment or not.

We always need more officers too. :rolleyes:

Indeed. I could never understand how when there is an officer:non-officer ratio of 1:7, you can take on new officers every year, yet only take on new non officers sporadically.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

General Service Rec is starting and need 280 Rec's for Navy Air Corp and Army. Cadets are takeing ever years just the Cadet class change.

General Service Rec is starting and need 280 Rec's for Navy Air Corp and Army. Cadets are takeing ever years just the Cadet class change.

So what does that mean numbers wise for the cadetship. And what you're saying is that there'll be 280 recruits brought in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

So what does that mean numbers wise for the cadetship. And what you're saying is that there'll be 280 recruits brought in 2014?

Just under 280 for General Service in 2014 starting soon, Cadets will be took on ever year numbers change vastly tho, The exact amount i am unsure contact DFTC Manpower Office, Or Irish Defence Forces on Facebook or email one of the Defence Forces Manpower repersentives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

To me, that article discussing the job vacancies in the DF says that there are currently TOO MANY lieutenants. It states there are 84 vacancies at captain level. The minus indicates to me that there are no vacancies?

Also, does anybody know if you have already completed a level 8 degree and manage to get into the cadets, can you then go to the military college and do another degree?

I imagine that you'll need to apply for courses normally, but you'd be a lesser priority over cadets/officers without a degree.

To me, that article discussing the job vacancies in the DF says that there are currently TOO MANY lieutenants. It states there are 84 vacancies at captain level. The minus indicates to me that there are no vacancies?

Also, does anybody know if you have already completed a level 8 degree and manage to get into the cadets, can you then go to the military college and do another degree?

You're right, there are 101 too many Lieutenants as is (including the 21 who were recently commissioned) but there's space for 84 of them to be promoted to Captain and then a further 9 spaces after 9 Captains are promoted to Commandant etc.

The Military College only provides in-house courses for officers and NCOs, not level 8 degrees. Newly commissioned officers attend universities to attain degrees and this is only available to school leavers.

On commissioning, if a graduate wants to do another degree, it'll be on their own time and at their own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vwhead

im going for this years general service competition for the navy as i was in the last one but got to my interview and didnt pass it probly because i was only 17 and didnt have the leaving done ( i hope thats it) but anyway when i was doing fitness test and phscyo there were lads with me that were going for cadets but i heard that they are gunna do recruits and cadets seperate from this year on weither this is true or not im not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 13 looking887

vwhead wrote: »
    im going for this years general service competition for the navy as i was in the last one but got to my interview and didnt pass it probly because i was only 17 and didnt have the leaving done ( i hope thats it) but anyway when i was doing fitness test and phscyo there were lads with me that were going for cadets but i heard that they are gunna do recruits and cadets seperate from this year on weither this is true or not im not 100% sure

As far as I'm aware the Cadet and Recruit competitions have always been separate from each other. There is a Recruit competition due shortly, however there is no word on a competition for Cadet places this year.

• Advertisement

looking887 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the Cadet and Recruit competitions have always been separate from each other. There is a Recruit competition due shortly, however there is no word on a competition for Cadet places this year.

in the 2012 competition i was going as a recruit and i done my fitness with cadets involved, physcometric and the interview there was always a handful of cadets with us i dont know if that was a once off.

in the 2012 competition i was going as a recruit and i done my fitness with cadets involved, physcometric and the interview there was always a handful of cadets with us i dont know if that was a once off.

The competitions for Recruits and Cadets are completely separate. What those guys you met meant was that they were in the other competition as well. Either that or they were talking crap.

And there's no overlap with the competitions. If you pass your fitness test for Recruits you'll still have to do another one for the Cadets.

The competitions for Recruits and Cadets are completely separate. What those guys you met meant was that they were in the other competition as well. Either that or they were talking crap.

And there's no overlap with the competitions. If you pass your fitness test for Recruits you'll still have to do another one for the Cadets.

maybe your right never asked were they doing both. anyone know if the physcometric test is on the charts this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

maybe your right never asked were they doing both. anyone know if the physcometric test is on the charts this year ?

There will most certainly be Psychometric testing again this year, in the form of Verbal and Numerical reasoning tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Hi guys, I'm looking to go into the air corps as a airplane pilot and I'm just wondering how I go about doing this? Can I apply directly as a pilot or would I need to serve as a soldier for a period of time before applying for a pilot position?
    Thanks in advance

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking to go into the air corps as a airplane pilot and I'm just wondering how I go about doing this? Can I apply directly as a pilot or would I need to serve as a soldier for a period of time before applying for a pilot position?
    Thanks in advance

Oh dear Jebus.

To become an air Corps Pilot you have to first become an air corps cadet. I suggest you have a good look at http://www.military.ie/careers/air-corp/cadetships/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dalyga

You're right, there are 101 too many Lieutenants as is (including the 21 who were recently commissioned) but there's space for 84 of them to be promoted to Captain and then a further 9 spaces after 9 Captains are promoted to Commandant etc.

The Military College only provides in-house courses for officers and NCOs, not level 8 degrees. Newly commissioned officers attend universities to attain degrees and this is only available to school leavers.

On commissioning, if a graduate wants to do another degree, it'll be on their own time and at their own expense.

So that leaves us with a surplus of 8 Lieutenants? I presume/hope that the DF will run a competition as normal for all corps this year again - seeing as they let the numbers build up so much the last time?

Numbers have been pretty steady for the last few years from what I can remember.

Piggybacking on this thread, but i want to clarify something.

On military.ie it states that the fitness test is a pass/fail test. Does this mean that once you pass, the extra time and effort you put in doesn't count towards your application? Or does it mean the fittest and strongest will be seen in a better light?

I aim to be running the 2.4km in under 9:30mins, and just wanna know if i should be really pushing it for the fitness test.

So are you graded on your times and the amount of reps you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

No you aren't given any extra marks, it's simply pass or fail. When you do the 20 press ups and sit ups they tell you to stop.

• Advertisement

tomato1988 wrote: »
    No you aren't given any extra marks, it's simply pass or fail. When you do the 20 press ups and sit ups they tell you to stop.

Thanks, but just to be certain, does the time you complete it in matter?

Advertisement