Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cadetships 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

Xios wrote: »
    Thanks, but just to be certain, does the time you complete it in matter?

No, those who complete the run will stay down in the Curragh and the few who fail will have to go home. Some people will run it in 8 minutes, some within a few seconds of the cut off. Either way, no extra marks for finishing faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dalyga

What are peoples thoughts on a competition being run this year? I know an Army competition has been run almost every year (if not every year?), but in 2009 they didn't run an Air Corps competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vwhead

dalyga wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on a competition being run this year? I know an Army competition has been run almost every year (if not every year?), but in 2009 they didn't run an Air Corps competition.

this one i think is going to be very very tight especially at interview me thinks :/

vwhead wrote: »
    this one i think is going to be very very tight especially at interview me thinks :/

I have that gut feeling too..

I have that gut feeling too..

yeah no doupt there will be thousands in for under 300 jobs but we just haveta push on and give it our best go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 smalls90

yeah no doupt there will be thousands in for under 300 jobs but we just haveta push on and give it our best go :)

There wont be 300 cadets taken on. I'd say your thinkin of recruits.

Yes, give or take 20 cadets. Split between all 4 services (including equestrian). As long as they open up the Air Corps, please god let them open that competition up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smalls90

Just curious... Is it possible to get a cadetship while still in college?

smalls90 wrote: »
    Just curious... Is it possible to get a cadetship while still in college?

Yes, but if you have not completed your degree you won't get the extra marks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Yes, give or take 20 cadets. Split between all 4 services (including equestrian). As long as they open up the Air Corps, please god let them open that competition up.

I'd say it's more like 20 cadets for the Army and then add on a few Air Corps and Navy cadets to that and possibly an Equitation cadet or two.

• Advertisement

smalls90 wrote: »
    There wont be 300 cadets taken on. I'd say your thinkin of recruits.

yes sorry i ment recruits :P either way its going to be tight!

I'd say it's more like 20 cadets for the Army and then add on a few Air Corps and Navy cadets to that and possibly an Equitation cadet or two.

I hope your right! We just have to play the waiting game now for another few months. I'd advise anyone who seriously wants this to hit the DATS books and study up on the roles. Better than rushing it in a few months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maxvan

my brother is currently in the cadets at the moment, he got the cadets in September and he said to me that there class was told that their will be an increase in the cadet class this year because they need more officers in the army due to the amount that are retiring soon.

maxvan wrote: »
    my brother is currently in the cadets at the moment, he got the cadets in September and he said to me that there class was told that their will be an increase in the cadet class this year because they need more officers in the army due to the amount that are retiring soon.

Lucky man. How is he finding it if you don't mind me asking?

ye he said the first 4 months are really tough, very little sleep and long days, but he said after Christmas it settled down and he loves it now, said it is very good now very good stuff after you get use to the marching and busy schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EncinoMan

tomato1988 wrote: »
    Yes, but if you have not completed your degree you won't get the extra marks

What would happen, if I were to get a Cadetship before finishing my course? Would I have to start some other degree from scratch, as if I had entered as a school leaver?

In the unlikely event I was accepted the next time the competition opens I'd be leaving a degree course I thoroughly enjoy and want to finish.

In the unlikely event I was accepted the next time the competition opens I'd be leaving a degree course I thoroughly enjoy and want to finish.[/QUOTE]

if you are accepted and are in the middle of your degree, then you would do your cadetship and you will be given a choice after it to return and finish ur degree and the army would pay for it but you will be excepted to train a unit one weekend a month and also would have to wear your army uniform to college sometimes or you can leave it and just go straight to training your unit.

can you still apply for cadetships as a school leaver ? sorry if its a stupid question but i dont really know that much about cadets as i was always set on rec campaigns i never really had the intention of going to college but i am intrested in engineering and i like the sound of the engineering corps and would happily study a degree in that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

yeah, but its very difficult. you have to remember, in these economic times when the army is looking to save as much money as possible, a graduate is very attractive as they do not have to pay their wages and costs associated with educating,housing while in college etc. plus your up against people who have earned the extra 10% bonus points for having a degree. Its tough, but theres a slim chance they will take you

The 89th class definitely had 1 school leaver and the 90th class definitely has one too, possibly more

• Advertisement

1 school leaver out of around 21 cadets, from 3K applicants......you get the idea

Not impossible though!

ahh yea i realise it wont be a walk in the park from any aspect but think if it this way, last recruit campaign i was one chance out of 600 or so places that were going but if i go for cadets aswel as recruits its an extra chance :)

Hence the "slim chance" I mentioned above. You have to be the best schooleaver out of the best 21 applicants. A difficult task to say the least :P :P

wel one thing i can be sure of is id probly be the worst school leaver out of 600 applicants but hey if ya dont get it theres always next time :P like i got my LC but its nothing glorified its just below average as i had enough if it again i got to 5th year :P is there any difference between a recruit and cadet campaign ? :)

wel one thing i can be sure of is id probly be the worst school leaver out of 600 applicants but hey if ya dont get it theres always next time :P like i got my LC but its nothing glorified its just below average as i had enough if it again i got to 5th year :P is there any difference between a recruit and cadet campaign ? :)

http://www.military.ie/careers/army/cadetships/qualifications/ their is a link to the minimum qualifications that you are required to have before applying for the cadets and if you meet these requirements, well then u have the same chance as the rest of us at getting in

thats me out of there anway :P didnt do any higher levels :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

maxvan wrote: »

Not true at all to be honest with you. Yes there are more officers retiring but if you look at the stats there are over 84 Lt's waiting for promotion...so if an Lt Col retires all that happens is a vacancy is made available and a Comdt will go for it. Then when enough Comdt positions are available Captains will be bumped and so on down the line. Also bear in mind that promotion works off the cadet class system eg. all Lt's from the 81st cadet class will be eligible for promotion to captain at the same time. You are not going to have someone from the 86th getting promoted to capt ahead of the 81st.

With the current back log there is no way they will be increasing the cadet intake over what it already is.

RE leaving cert. Your actual results matter very little once you've been selected as one of the finalists. Once you meet requirements you're in. It makes no difference if the person behind you has 600 and you have 450.

• Advertisement

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Not true at all to be honest with you. Yes there are more officers retiring but if you look at the stats there are over 84 Lt's waiting for promotion...so if an Lt Col retires all that happens is a vacancy is made available and a Comdt will go for it. Then when enough Comdt positions are available Captains will be bumped and so on down the line. Also bear in mind that promotion works off the cadet class system eg. all Lt's from the 81st cadet class will be eligible for promotion to captain at the same time. You are not going to have someone from the 86th getting promoted to capt ahead of the 81st.

With the current back log there is no way they will be increasing the cadet intake over what it already is.

RE leaving cert. Your actual results matter very little once you've been selected as one of the finalists. Once you meet requirements you're in. It makes no difference if the person behind you has 600 and you have 450.

Any inside knowledge/ideas on staffing levels in the Air Corps? They run a tight ship in all the op. squadrons but have had a steady drip of 2/3 cadets over the past two years.

Knowing this for the AC, would you reckon (this is all pie in the sky too as we don't know what they're thinking) that there will be the usual 2/3 places up for grabs.

Advertisement