Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cadetships 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

dalyga wrote: »
    Any inside knowledge/ideas on staffing levels in the Air Corps? They run a tight ship in all the op. squadrons but have had a steady drip of 2/3 cadets over the past two years.

Knowing this for the AC, would you reckon (this is all pie in the sky too as we don't know what they're thinking) that there will be the usual 2/3 places up for grabs.

There has been more than 2/3 the last 2 years. Closer to 6/7

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dalyga

tomato1988 wrote: »
    There has been more than 2/3 the last 2 years. Closer to 6/7

Not for the AC. Was two last year if I remember correctly and three the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Not for the AC. Was two last year if I remember correctly and three the year before.

It was nine this year, five the year before that and three the year before that.

It was nine this year, five the year before that and three the year before that.

Nine in 2013? I didn't think they had taken on that many. Makes you wonder if they were taking on a good bunch last year with the view of not having a class this year, or whether they will take on another big chunk this year?

I was in the running for one of the spots last year - wonder if I was number 10! Keep knocking on the door, they'll have to answer some time I suppose!

Thanks for the heads up.

Nine in 2013? I didn't think they had taken on that many. Makes you wonder if they were taking on a good bunch last year with the view of not having a class this year, or whether they will take on another big chunk this year?

I was in the running for one of the spots last year - wonder if I was number 10! Keep knocking on the door, they'll have to answer some time I suppose!

Thanks for the heads up.

Did you get through to the medical stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

In light of the significant developments in Ukraine/Crimea, does anyone think that there will be an increase in recruitment this year and next?

I should like to think that our top brass would adapt to the the changing international enviroment.

I think over the coming years there will be quite a few conflicts in varying parts of the world and the Irish will be peacekeeping as usual. I mean places like Syria, Venezula, Possibly Ukraine, was reading new of riots in Bosnia recently as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Miceail22

Xios wrote: »
    In light of the significant developments in Ukraine/Crimea, does anyone think that there will be an increase in recruitment this year and next?

I should like to think that our top brass would adapt to the the changing international enviroment.

Thats adorable

Theres plenty of trouble in Iraq of late, I don't see them preparing to deply there. Afghanistan post ISAF pull out will be another area, Ireland will not be going there either.

Im not saying some of the rank and file wouldn't want to go. But there is more chance of Ireland qualifying for a world cup than getting sent to some of the places you mentioned.

Observers and deploying en masse for peace support operation are two very different things

Miceail22 wrote: »
    Thats adorable

Theres plenty of trouble in Iraq of late, I don't see them preparing to deply there. Afghanistan post ISAF pull out will be another area, Ireland will not be going there either.

Im not saying some of the rank and file wouldn't want to go. But there is more chance of Ireland qualifying for a world cup than getting sent to some of the places you mentioned.

Observers and deploying en masse for peace support operation are two very different things

Well, i'm not arguing that we 'will' be going to these places, just that the changing environment will have an impact on recruitment. Perhaps not this year, but maybe next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Put in an FOI (Freedom Of Information) request and ask for your transcripts. That way you'll be able to read up on where you fell down. If you were on the final panel you will also get your placing.
    Xios wrote: »

For cadets, not a hope. As mentioned in various different publications we are over strength on Jr Officers, we don't need many more. Also recruitment is limited to the cap so they can recruit up to 9500 (?) and that's it..unless WW3/z breaks out that won't be changing in the near future.

Thanks - I have done yes. Didn't get a placing though. Just an interview score sheet and testing results.

If WWZ breaks out all we need to do is recruit Brad Pitt anyway, sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Martialartman

Okay thanks guys for all the help. I've applied for both the reserves and the permanent defence forces and have passed the fitness test in both. I have my psychometric test this week, I would just like to ask is it possible to apply for a cadetship through the PDF or RDF? and should I, if I'm lucky enough to get accepted to the PDF take it or should i stay in college and finish my degree and chance it to see if they start recruiting again after I'm finished college ? I'm stuck as to what would be best for me to do.

Okay thanks guys for all the help. I've applied for both the reserves and the permanent defence forces and have passed the fitness test in both. I have my psychometric test this week, I would just like to ask is it possible to apply for a cadetship through the PDF or RDF? and should I, if I'm lucky enough to get accepted to the PDF take it or should i stay in college and finish my degree and chance it to see if they start recruiting again after I'm finished college ? I'm stuck as to what would be best for me to do.

The RDF is a different route entirely, you wouldn't do a cadetship with them, everyone starts as a recruit.

If you are successful in getting a cadetship in the PDF as a school leaver (and despite what people tell you, it does happen), you'll be sent to college to get a degree upon commissioning.

yeah I'm not planning on joining the RDF i just applied as sort of something to fall back on if anything happens. But my fear is should i defer my college and join the PDF to try and apply for a cadetship ( whenever is possible down the line )through the army or should i stay in college for another 4 years or so and get my full Level8 degree in engineering and then go for a cadetship ? what would be better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The RDF is a different route entirely, you wouldn't do a cadetship with them, everyone starts as a recruit.

If you are successful in getting a cadetship in the PDF as a school leaver (and despite what people tell you, it does happen), you'll be sent to college to get a degree upon commissioning.

Less and less often. And given the available crop of talent for the current competitions, youd have to imagine a degree will become almost standard issue rather than a tie-breaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Finish your degree and aim to get the best possible classification from it - it'll make you more 'attractive' as a candidate and if the while thing goes arse about, you'll have a qualification to fall back on.

What's the degree in and do you have a final project / dissertation to do? If you do maybe pick something with a nod towards the military sciences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

hi i am currently 17 years old and really have little to alright knowledge about applying or selection for the cadets for the Irish defense forces and also im brand new to forums and boards so im sorry if i posted it in the wrong place or something.
    basically i want to know
    - is it hard .. how hard to get picked
    - im worried about my vision capabilities ive good vision but my right eye just a bit weak ?
    - im also planning on joining the FCA/RDF and applying and then to PDF then applying again because i have one less honors subject in C3 from my LC and how long or who does the LC results or requirements stand for or is it for everyone not just school leavers (im currently in college)
    so yeah please help what does the application require and such thanks for any help ..

Op, Are you grape by any chance ?

Jawgap wrote: »
    Finish your degree and aim to get the best possible classification from it - it'll make you more 'attractive' as a candidate and if the while thing goes arse about, you'll have a qualification to fall back on.

What's the degree in and do you have a final project / dissertation to do? If you do maybe pick something with a nod towards the military sciences.

The course im doing is Computer and Electronic Engineering Lvl8 HO Bachelors degree and yes there's an end of year personal project in 2nd year and Final year i think. So should i go for the RDF while i stay in college to have an income to help me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The course im doing is Computer and Electronic Engineering Lvl8 HO Bachelors degree and yes there's an end of year personal project in 2nd year and Final year i think. So should i go for the RDF while i stay in college to have an income to help me ?

Good luck with the studies - it sounds like a good qual to take forward into the selection process.

I'll leave the question about the RDF to someone who knows about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TacAide

My opinion,

Apply for everything with regards, to the PDF (both Cadetship and General Service), and RDF, as a current reservist and as ex-PDF man, and ever hopeful cadet, if you apply for all it shows interest, and depending on how many applications, persistence. When I was in PDF I had high ranking officers tell me more and more regular soldiers are being selected and becoming cadets (Point to note; I've been told that the current cadet class has 10 general service personal in it at the moment, out of 18 places).

College is an important aspect too, if you have a degree you get a plus 10% bonus in the final interview, and when you get commissioned you are promoted straight to the rank of full lieutenant, instead of a second lieutenant, but in saying that I have a degree and was placed 22nd on the medical reserve panel if anyone dropped out. But it is always good to have a fall back plan if the Defence Forces doesn't work out for you too.

Best of luck with whatever you find yourself doing or end up.

TacAide wrote: »
    (Point to note; I've been told that the current cadet class has 10 general service personal in it at the moment, out of 18 places).

I don't think it's quite that large a number and you might be surprised to hear that there are actually more school leavers than former PDF personnel currently, not that I'm saying that there isn't a trend going the other direction, I just don't think people should be discouraged because they don't have a degree.

OP, as others have said, I'd recommend you keep going with your degree but you can still apply for a cadetship while you do it. If you are awarded a cadetship before you finish, I'd take it and finish your degree after commissioning. If you don't get a cadetship by the time you finish college you can keep applying and have the 10% bonus marks and you'll have a degree to fall back on should you still not get a cadetship.

And each year you go through the cadetship competition process, you'll gain some experience for the next time you apply...unless of course you are successful first time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gillmelly

County GAA player or such like and all honours subjects in the leaving, at least a b1 in all subjects and bob's your uncle.
    That'll get you in, but to endure staying in, for a lifetime commitment you need to be a hard worker, not too intelligent, enjoy office politics and have a good set of blinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

So should i go for the RDF while i stay in college to have an income to help me ?

You will not get an income from RDF membership. If your lucky you'll get a couple of weeks paid camp each year.

It's open guys - closing date the 18th May. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Smurf8

Does anyone know the numbers break down?

Smurf8 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the numbers break down?

Bit early for any guesses on that, but similar to last year I would imagine

tomato1988 wrote: »
    Bit early for any guesses on that, but similar to last year I would imagine

And what was it last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Smurf8

It was 18 for the Army, not sure about Aircorp or Navy....

Smurf8 wrote: »
    It was 18 for the Army, not sure about Aircorp or Navy....

9 for the AC I do believe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 salthilljourno

Hi , OP please PM me and I will fill you in on the whole routine ,

I was a member of the reserves here in Galway for years ,

I have applied unsuccessfully for an Air Corps Cadetship for 6 years in a row , I even got to the interview stage a couple of times .

It really helps to have people on the inside helping you ,

Unfortunately my mental health issues have been my stumbling block , still doesnt stop my obsession with the guys in the flight suits .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

^^^^^^
    OP under no circumstances contact this poster.

Advertisement