Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

MBSnr wrote: »
    Yes 9ms to Dublin (down from 26ms pre G.INP turn on)

9ms from Galway to Dublin, like the other stats on your 1700m line, really puts mine to shame (I'm still happy with them though - so much better than this time last year :)). I wonder if the fact that yours is a business line makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

OcocO wrote: »
    9ms from Galway to Dublin, like the other stats on your 1700m line, really puts mine to shame (I'm still happy with them though - so much better than this time last year :)). I wonder if the fact that yours is a business line makes a difference?

I can't imagine the business line makes any difference. When the line was on DSL, it suffered constant drop outs and was totally unreliable. I had Eircom out a number of times and they even swapped the pair running back to the exchange 4Km away. I also had a new run of approx 50m of Cat5 put in, due to the errors, from the wall box back to a Eircom punch panel in the riser. From there it wanders (I'm told by Eircom) between a number of cabinets. But now I'm on VDSL it's so much better.

The figures I have seem very impressive for the quoted dB. As I said, I can't say for definite I'm at 1700m from the cab but judging by the attenuation calc checker (which some say could be incorrect) it ties in. I know that I'm over 1Km from the fact that I could not initially get VDSL and also speaking to Eircom's engineer who swapped the line back to the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

4km is a really, really long long for ADSL.
    The big problem in Ireland has always been low density population leading to very long phone lines rather than poor quality plant.

The exchanges were planned to provide voice, not ADSL.

Also eircom actually has a far more distributed network of exchanges than most equivalent providers. They've plenty of tiny exchanges (some are street cabinets themselves).

The VDSL gear at least seems to be improving things dramatically for a lot of people.

Next phase will probably be even smaller cabinets to get fibre closer to end users much like what UPC have been doing. Many of their fibre nodes are down to a single block of houses by now.

I can't imagine the business line makes any difference. When the line was on DSL, it suffered constant drop outs and was totally unreliable. I had Eircom out a number of times and they even swapped the pair running back to the exchange 4Km away. I also had a new run of approx 50m of Cat5 put in, due to the errors, from the wall box back to a Eircom punch panel in the riser. From there it wanders (I'm told by Eircom) between a number of cabinets. But now I'm on VDSL it's so much better.

The figures I have seem very impressive for the quoted dB. As I said, I can't say for definite I'm at 1700m from the cab but judging by the attenuation calc checker (which some say could be incorrect) it ties in. I know that I'm over 1Km from the fact that I could not initially get VDSL and also speaking to Eircom's engineer who swapped the line back to the exchange.

By "swapped the pair" do you mean that they simply switched the connection through to a different pair of pre-existing ones or that they actually replaced/slung a new 4km run from the exchange for you? If it's the latter then it's my (admittedly uninformed) guess that that might have a lot to with the quality of your line. I have taken on board though that the 1700 figure is a nominal one based on an an attenuation/distance calc and that therefore the possibility exists that your attenuation is elevated for some reason other than distance. Still, as I understand it, the only other significant factors that affect attenuation are gauge, purity of material, and the quality of the connections/lack of fractures in the run - all of which would presumably again have an adverse effect on your connection, which is why I've always taken attenuation as a pretty solid starting point for line comparisons...

It would be pretty unusual for them to run a full new line the whole way. The lines run on multi core cables filled with compressed air to keep them dry. They're filled with air by compressors in the exchange.

Not exactly insignificant infrastructure and quite a bit more complicated than you'd think.

They would just swap you to a less noisy pair.

Noise might not be from a fault either. It could be ISDN or ADSL services located next to your pair.

This is why vectoring is such a huge breakthrough. It manages all that crosstalk for VDSL2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

OcocO wrote: »
    By "swapped the pair" do you mean that they simply switched the connection through to a different pair of pre-existing ones or that they actually replaced/slung a new 4km run from the exchange for you? If it's the latter then it's my (admittedly uninformed) guess that that might have a lot to with the quality of your line. I have taken on board though that the 1700 figure is a nominal one based on an an attenuation/distance calc and that therefore the possibility exists that your attenuation is elevated for some reason other than distance. Still, as I understand it, the only other significant factors that affect attenuation are gauge, purity of material, and the quality of the connections/lack of fractures in the run - all of which would presumably again have an adverse effect on your connection, which is why I've always taken attenuation as a pretty solid starting point for line comparisons...

As SpaceTime says, they only swapped the pair back to the exchange through the existing cable. It actually made no odds as the line kept dropping - probably due to spiking noise outside of our building on the path back (as I had the cable re-routed in the building to try and resolve to no avail).

I'm also fairly convinced that an attenuation figure you'd see on DSL should give a good indication of what you'd get on VDSL - regardless of the different frequencies involved. But I've no other references from anyone else as there has been no direct exchange connections migrated over to VDSL. Once that happens you'd have the orig dB, orig assumed distance by DSL and be able to do a straight comparison for VDSL speed/distance as the exact same copper pair is being used. Until that time though, it's all a bit of guesswork...

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It would be pretty unusual for them to run a full new line the whole way. The lines run on multi core cables filled with compressed air to keep them dry. They're filled with air by compressors in the exchange.

Not exactly insignificant infrastructure and quite a bit more complicated than you'd think.

They would just swap you to a less noisy pair.

Noise might not be from a fault either. It could be ISDN or ADSL services located next to your pair.

This is why vectoring is such a huge breakthrough. It manages all that crosstalk for VDSL2.

That's interesting - I like learning more about the infrastructure that supplies a service I've come to rely so heavily on, and the problems that can affect it.
    As SpaceTime says, they only swapped the pair back to the exchange through the existing cable. It actually made no odds as the line kept dropping - probably due to spiking noise outside of our building on the path back (as I had the cable re-routed in the building to try and resolve to no avail).

I'm also fairly convinced that an attenuation figure you'd see on DSL should give a good indication of what you'd get on VDSL - regardless of the different frequencies involved. But I've no other references from anyone else as there has been no direct exchange connections migrated over to VDSL. Once that happens you'd have the orig dB, orig assumed distance by DSL and be able to do a straight comparison for VDSL speed/distance as the exact same copper pair is being used. Until that time though, it's all a bit of guesswork...

Yes, I thought a fresh run, especially over 4km, was pretty unlikely. For what it's worth, my downstream attenuation on DSL was 30dB and, since moving on to VDSL, is now 24dB. I don't have a handle on how different frequencies might affect reported attenuation - I figured that the pertinent distance now was between my house and local fibre cab rather than between house and exchange, and that the reduced distance was responsible for the reduced attenuation. Something I read earlier in this thread seemed to support that supposition but I can't find it now :o.

If anything, moving to fibre to node / FTTC infrastructure should save them a lot of maintenance. Keeping copper cables dry in a climate like Ireland or Britain is quite challenging and requires a lot of compressed air and maintenance of leaks in cables.

Fibre can quite happily run through a puddle without any consequences as it's glass fibres with light shining through them rather than rust-prone copper.

Also it's a lot thinner than copper for the amount of data carried. So, you're talking about replacing a huge fat bundle of copper wires and complicated compression fittings with simple wiring that's not much different looking to a vacuum cleaner cable.

If anything, moving to fibre to node / FTTC infrastructure should save them a lot of maintenance. Keeping copper cables dry in a climate like Ireland or Britain is quite challenging and requires a lot of compressed air and maintenance of leaks in cables.

Fibre can quite happily run through a puddle without any consequences as it's glass fibres with light shining through them rather than rust-prone copper.

Also it's a lot thinner than copper for the amount of data carried. So, you're talking about replacing a huge fat bundle of copper wires and complicated compression fittings with simple wiring that's not much different looking to a vacuum cleaner cable.

Roll on the roll out :D
    I wonder if I'll still be around for the next phase of bringing fibre closer to the premises... Will we ever see fibre (or something similar) piped into homes in the same cable as the electric? A unified infrastructure might be viable assuming there is no interference to fibre optics (being, as you say, light based) from the electromagnetic fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

I'm still wondering when eircom plans to use the VoIP services built into the modem they're supplying. There are 2 analogue PSTN ports on every ISPs modem and only Digiweb seem to be using them so far.

I wonder if the ping times are nice and low will eircom suddenly start pushing VoIP instead of using the original TDM exchanges.

Hi,
    Eircom build new exchange only for VOIP telephony, currently they are testing whole infrastructure. should be ready to go shortly.

• Advertisement

domeld wrote: »
    Hi,
    Eircom build new exchange only for VOIP telephony, currently they are testing whole infrastructure. should be ready to go shortly.

I'm already using VoIP with Blueface though for years. Works extremely well with efibre & it's our main line for the house and the home office.

Lots more fancy features than a regular landline service.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Yes there is a cost in keeping compressors running 24/7 in the exchanges to prevent ingress of water in the cables to the cab. Cables are only pressurised from the exchange to the cab. Maintenance wise, the pressurisation staff that deal with this are small in numbers as they have minimal breakdowns. The biggest cost in relation to maintenance is from the cab to customer premises, with a lot of maintenance from the local distribution points and in customer wiring. Running fibre to the cab, in effect has brought the exchange closer to the customer, thus allowing greater attainable speed due to reduced distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Except the MDF is still in the exchange, so those lines still need to be kept in place for voice service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you are building brand new infrastructure then you are correct. It is cheaper to use fibre then copper.

A good example of this is Lithuania where they are 100% FTTH. After the collapse of the soviet union, most of Lithuania didn't have any phone lines, so it made a lot more sense to build their new network with Fibre rather then copper.

But if you already have copper in place, then it is cheaper to just maintain it, then replace it with fibre. Running fibre is very expensive. Not so much the cost of the actual fiber cable (which can be cheaper then copper), but rather the cost of the people who do the actual work of digging up the roads, etc. It is a labour intensive process and that is where the majority of the cost lies.

If your goal is to save money, then it would be better for them to just move everyone to eFibre and VoIP. They could then abandon the copper between the cabs and the exchanges and all the gear required to maintain that.

It is a pity, but this really isn't an argument for FTTH. FTTH is more likely to happen due to competition and customer demand.

Actually mightn't be that bad in housing estates where wiring is carried to houses from the cabinet in ducts.

You could probably avoid digging anything

Direct buried phone lines (line laid in soil with no duct) is not common in Ireland.

Also in overhead areas you've usually got ducts feeding the poles so only the last short run goes overhead.

It's expensive, but I think it's quite doable.

In France for example, the physical infrastructure is very similar to here and they've managed a good bit of FTTH in urban areas although Orange is now using FTTC in less dense suburban areas due to cost.

Problem is the drops from curb to MDP are often incorrect/blocked/inaccessible. Its an issue even with DSL where cabling needs replacing. So even if you can get it to the curb you still have to dig up lots of drives.

ED E wrote: »
    Problem is the drops from curb to MDP are often incorrect/blocked/inaccessible. Its an issue even with DSL where cabling needs replacing. So even if you can get it to the curb you still have to dig up lots of drives.

I think that's also what was causing major headaches in France and resulted in a rethink especially in the suburban areas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is where G.Fast and FTTdp might come in handy.

bk wrote: »

Yep, if they choose to go with it.

Wonder how it'd perform on crappy old untwisted alarm cabling because thats not uncommon due to contractors 20yrs ago having done the fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Wonder how it'd perform on crappy old untwisted alarm cabling because thats not uncommon due to contractors 20yrs ago having done the fitting.

Where would the distribution point be ? Would that be in one of the eircom maholes between your house and the copper cabinet ?

• Advertisement

The NTU filter should be taking care of most of that.

Older P&T era wiring is actually great for DSL. They tended to use grey and white very, very high quality twisted single pairs. It's sometimes tinnned copper though which may behave differently for attenuation.

That's what you'll find in a lot of 1960s-late 70s buildings.

The bad wiring is almost always DIY or electrician installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Older P&T era wiring is actually great for DSL. They tended to use grey and white very, very high quality twisted single pairs. It's tinnned copper.

My house was built in 75 and one should see the wiring and the short cuts in the wiring.

Shall not in to that now

Older P&T era wiring is actually great for DSL. They tended to use grey and white very, very high quality twisted single pairs. It's sometimes tinnned copper though which may behave differently for attenuation.

As long as the insulation is still intact ;)

Problem is a lot of it is DIY. High grade TE cabling to the street, junk bargain bin old runs after that.

The NTU will help if its inside the house, but I'm talking before that. Buried under the garden.

BT trialling G.Fast + FTTdp in the UK with Huawei:

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/huawei-gfast-fttdp-copper-bt-129855

Significant for us as Huawei is also Eircoms partner for their FTTC rollout.

BTW I'm not saying they will 100% use G.Fast/FTTdp, it is only on average 15% cheaper then FTTH. So more likely they will use it in combination with FTTB and FTTH depending on each install.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

How much has the government invested in broadband in the last 5 years or has all the investment come from the service providers?

Manc Red wrote: »
    How much has the government invested in broadband in the last 5 years or has all the investment come from the service providers?

About €80 million as part of the National Broadband Scheme, most of which was wasted on the rubbish 3 network.

Most of the investment has come from the service providers, 500 million from UPC, 500 million coming from Eircom, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

BT trialling G.Fast + FTTdp in the UK with Huawei:

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/huawei-gfast-fttdp-copper-bt-129855

Significant for us as Huawei is also Eircoms partner for their FTTC rollout.

BTW I'm not saying they will 100% use G.Fast/FTTdp, it is only on average 15% cheaper then FTTH. So more likely they will use it in combination with FTTB and FTTH depending on each install.

It's amazing to me that it's only 15% cheaper. Maybe that's only because it's not a mature technology. I would have thought in the long run it could be done significantly cheaper than FTTH.

Praetorian wrote: »
    It's amazing to me that it's only 15% cheaper. Maybe that's only because it's not a mature technology. I would have thought in the long run it could be done significantly cheaper than FTTH.

They estimate 0 to 25% cheaper then FTTH depending on the install, with 15% being the average.

The problem is that you still need to run Fibre almost all the way to the home, you are only saving on the last 50 meters or so. You still need to terminate the fibre at the distribution point. You then have expensive active electronic gear at the distribution point.

Straight fibre gear is actually cheaper and simpler then fancy new G.Fast gear.

So the only saving that you are really making is not having to dig up the persons garden, wall, etc.

Some completed installs it will make sense to use it, but for many it will make more sense to just go straight FTTH.

I don't think G.Fast will be revolutionary in the way FTTC/VDSL2 has been, I think it will just end up another tool in the FTTx rollout.

France Télécom / Orange is claiming that FTTC is costing the 10X less per customer in light-density suburban areas than FTTH!

"Autre avantage, le coût de déploiement. Couvrir un territoire urbain ou péri-urbain en VDSL2 coûte 10 fois moins cher que de le faire en fibre optique, notamment en zones pavillonnaires où, à défaut de déployer de la fibre aérienne sur des poteaux, il faut prévoir beaucoup de génie civil pour desservir un mode d'habitat qui représente une forte portion de la population française."

"Another advantage is the cost of deployment. To cover urban or quasi-urban area with VDSL2 is 10 times cheaper than laying fiber optics, notably in suburban areas, where without deploying aerial fiber on poles, it would require a lot of civil engineering work to serve a settlement pattern that is representative of a large portion of the French population."

From a French article : http://www.zdnet.fr/actualites/le-tres-haut-debit-en-vdsl2-une-fausse-bonne-idee-pour-la-france-39775634.htm

While France isn't as low-density as Ireland, it has a lot of quite low density suburban areas that wouldn't be entirely dissimilar to here.

Our quasi-rural 'urban' areas really are very extreme though and I'd say the deployment costs per customer would be off the scale.

As you head toward Eastern Europe where very dense accommodation in apartment buildings is more common, the cost goes down as you can do FTTH in a building quite easily.

Oddly enough, one of the major reason that Telecom Eireann selected Alcatel as a supplier of exchange equipment in the late 1970s was that it had specifically developed the E10 switching system to meet the challenges of a settlement pattern in rural France where you'd a lot of quite tiny villages and scattered populations. It was actually a French Government R&D driven project designed to tackle lack of telecommunications services in rural areas. So, it was ideally suited for use in Ireland. Other systems tended to assume people lived in sizeable towns and cities.

Instead of having a big central exchange, the Alcatel system was one of the first to allow distributed nodes all hooked up by fibre and microwave links to a big hub.

So, comparisons with rural France (especially Western France) are very useful for FTTH and FTTC too.

The 10X cost per customer difference is probably accurate enough when you consider just how much wiring would need to be done to serve every house with FTTH.

The key is that the FTTC cabinets can form the basis of an upgrade to FTTH as necessary by gradually replacing the local loops bit by bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

Rang eircom this morning to get them to update my line rate. Lovely gentleman popped me straight onto 100mb there and then.

============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 2 hours: 4 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.477 Mbps 102.395 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.478 Mbps 102.396 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 16.1 dB 17.4 dB
    Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
    Transmit Power: - 9.7 dBm 14.6 dBm
    Receive Power: -21.1 dBm 4.6 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 29.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 11.3 dB 9.9 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 31.951 Mbps 128.268 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3447465135.png

Advertisement