Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Previous:

============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 20 hours: 35 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.297 Mbps       41.116 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.239 Mbps       40.956 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       18.1 dB           12.6 dB
                Actual Delay:          4 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:        7.4 dBm           9.9 dBm
               Receive Power:      -13.7 dBm          -9.2 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       21.2 dB           19.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     27.321 Mbps       67.916 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  5.9    31.0    46.6     N/A    15.6    39.3    61.1   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  5.9    30.2    46.2     N/A    12.6    39.0    61.2   
            SNR Margin(dB): 18.3    18.2    18.1     N/A    12.6    12.6    12.4   
       Transmit Power(dBm):- 8.0     0.5     6.4     N/A     3.3     7.7     2.3   

Now:
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 13 hours: 26 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.238 Mbps       40.959 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.239 Mbps       40.960 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       18.4 dB           22.3 dB
                Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
              Transmit Power:        6.9 dBm          11.4 dBm
               Receive Power:      -13.9 dBm          -8.4 dBm
                  Actual INP:       29.0 symbols      29.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       20.8 dB           19.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     22.204 Mbps       72.376 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  5.9    31.0    46.5     N/A    15.6    39.2    61.0   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  5.9    30.2    46.2     N/A    17.4    38.9    61.1   
            SNR Margin(dB): 18.8    18.4    18.4     N/A    22.3    22.3     [COLOR="red"]0.0   [/COLOR]
       Transmit Power(dBm):- 8.2     0.6     5.5     N/A     8.9     7.7  [COLOR="Red"] -128.0 [/COLOR]  

Didn't make much impact on my line at all really. Bit disappointing.

Slight improvement on attainable download and a significant drop on the upload attainable rate.

Something strange happening on D3 band.

you still on the 40mb/10mb profile non vectoring profile

you need to call tech support to get it put on a vectoring profile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

vectoring is not enabled on your cab yet, when it is your attainables will effectively double

Which figures are you using to ascertain this? Just curious as I wish to compare against mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Did you guys realize that the ping times have lowered significantly yet again? Same thing happened 2 couple of weeks ago. Everyone's INP is set to zero. Anyone know whats the cause of this? (highly doubt its vectoring)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

My INP is set at 29 and the ping went from 24 to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Did you guys realize that the ping times have lowered significantly yet again? Same thing happened 2 couple of weeks ago. Everyone's INP is set to zero. Anyone know whats the cause of this? (highly doubt its vectoring)

Earlier reports of people getting "vectored" was that their attainable data rate had risen. A few of us in Cork have reported here recently that this rate has dropped/but pings better. Perhaps its some other mainteance/clean up getting done, and not vectoring yet.

• Advertisement

syboit wrote: »
    Earlier reports of people getting "vectored" was that their attainable data rate had risen. A few of us in Cork have reported here recently that this rate has dropped/but pings better. Perhaps its some other mainteance/clean up getting done, and not vectoring yet.

With the change to the INP Symbol rate, I'd say it was vectoring. AFAIK the profiles are '‘Rate Adaptive’ so I would have thought they'd increase over the next while as the line is tested and the SNR reported back that the line can support a greater down speed.

Again I'm just basing this on what I've read and I don't know for sure (please feel free to correct me), but it makes sense that turning on noise cancellation (vectoring) would drop the attainable rate (in the short term) as the line SNR has changed and so the Rate Adaptive profile will become more conservative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'll call them on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Current stats. Attainable net data rate has changed to what's in the attached image. Used to always be around 30 up/91 down.

SNR margin (downstream) has changed too. Was normally around 15dB. Experimentation by Eircom in advance of vectoring being introduced?

302718.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Im on digiweb,

Same happened to me in letterkenny, line dropped from 72mb to 47mb. Pings got lower and SNR rose.

G.INP went from 2 to 29.

I havent a clue wats going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

GIMickey wrote: »
    Im on digiweb,

Same happened to me in letterkenny, line dropped from 72mb to 47mb. Pings got lower and SNR rose.

G.INP went from 2 to 29.

I havent a clue wats going on
    Why are people not ringing the provider to explain the situation. 72 to 47 is not right.

• Advertisement

Why are people not ringing the provider to explain the situation. 72 to 47 is not right.

Quite honestly, the tech support people wouldn't have a clue. I tried.

O trust me I rang. Tech support said after checking the line, let it play out for a few days to c wat happens. As u can see I'm not the only one.

To be honest it seems very few people actually know whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

GIMickey wrote: »
    O trust me I rang. Tech support said after checking the line, let it play out for a few days to c wat happens. As u can see I'm not the only one.

GIMickey, im on digiweb also in letterkenny, the G.INP only went to 29 on my downstream but it still has a 4ms delay, G.Vector is still turned off. my sync also dropped from 61/20 with attainables of 63/23 to a sync now of just 54/13 and attainables not much higher.

Can you tell me what firmware your frtixbox has also, im running version 6.04

jimmad wrote: »
    GIMickey, im on digiweb also in letterkenny, the G.INP only went to 29 on my downstream but it still has a 4ms delay, G.Vector is still turned off. my sync also dropped from 61/20 with attainables of 63/23 to a sync now of just 54/13 and attainables not much higher.

Can you tell me what firmware your frtixbox has also, im running version 6.04

Aye I'm running 6.04 also. Everything u said is the same for me. I was bumped up to the 70/20 profile 2-3 weeks ago and I was getting 67/20, before was 50/15. Now my line will only take 48/17 max after many many reboots. Hope they get this sorted soon.

Also digiweb tech said that g.vector will turn on automatically wen vectoring is enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

My INP is set at 29 and the ping went from 24 to 11.
    Sorry my mistake, its not the INP that was set to zero but the (actually delay)
    That's what's causing the ping drop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

A lot of issues going on and no one seems to know what's causing it. Hope it gets sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roc13x

This is probably unrelated, but today my VDSL connection went to hell for seemingly no reason. It dropped from 40mb/s to about 1mb/s, then died completely for about an hour. It's now at about 7mb/s and not changing. Also my IP address changed to a Dublin one which seems completely wrong as I'm in Tralee and was always connected to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

I'd say vectoring is so technical that no one will be able to question it, ie the provider eircom will be literally be able to do as they wish. I don't think you can switch back to the old settings. The whole exercise seems to be a PR job in that eg VF on their website can now print " up to a 100mb" but the reality is for most people not a hope.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

swoofer wrote: »
    I'd say vectoring is so technical that no one will be able to question it, ie the provider eircom will be literally be able to do as they wish. I don't think you can switch back to the old settings. The whole exercise seems to be a PR job in that eg VF on their website can now print " up to a 100mb" but the reality is for most people not a hope.

Actually, quiet the opposite, from the stats most people are posting, speeds with vectoring actually look excellent. Many people will be able to get 100mb/s

Of course it is still distance based, but VDSL seems much more reliable and predictable then ADSL.

Vodafone, Eircom, etc. can even tell you what speed you will most likely get when you phone them, which is great.

My only complaint is that I wish that Comreg required them all to actually inform you upfront without asking what speed you will actually get and also the line checker should tell you.

But on the whole, Vectorised VDSL is looking great. This VDSL rollout from Eircom is looking really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

MBSnr wrote: »
    Which figures are you using to ascertain this? Just curious as I wish to compare against mine.

check his snr and net attainable rates

the higher these values the more likely vectoring is enabled

check his snr and net attainable rates

the higher these values the more likely vectoring is enabled

How do you explain the fall in most people's net attainable rate then? Mine dropped from 58Mbps to 51Mbps down and 15Mbps to 12Mbps up..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

bk can you show me a stat where it shows clearly that vectoring has been enabled? If vectoring is so good why is it causing so many problems? All I have noticed is a lower ping and speeds worse than when I first got fibre.

people don't even know if a cabinet has been enabled or not. eircom are still showing speeds of up to 70mb. not a mention of vectoring. Vodafone are now quoting speeds up to 100mb. no mention of vectoring, distance from cabinet, etc.

its only people on here who are aware of vectoring. And the posts about it are usually useless, no mention about distance from cabinet in all but one or 2 posts.

there should be a separate thread for vectoring that is enabled and those who don't post distance from cabinet, location, provider, old and new should be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

bk can you show me a stat where it shows clearly that vectoring has been enabled? If vectoring is so good why is it causing so many problems? All I have noticed is a lower ping and speeds worse than when I first got fibre.

people don't even know if a cabinet has been enabled or not. eircom are still showing speeds of up to 70mb. not a mention of vectoring. Vodafone are now quoting speeds up to 100mb. no mention of vectoring, distance from cabinet, etc.

its only people on here who are aware of vectoring. And the posts about it are usually useless, no mention about distance from cabinet in all but one or 2 posts.

there should be a separate thread for vectoring that is enabled and those who don't post distance from cabinet, location, provider, old and new should be deleted.
    Exactly. We're going round and round in circles here. No one really knows what they're talking about. All I can see on my connection is a slight rise in snr better pings in fairness but the pings needed improving as I had much better pings on adsl, also a 27 meg drop in attainable DL speed, hardly much of an improvement.

Yep, I still am no wiser why my improved SNR has led to reduced sync and attainables.

I used the Eircom checker for my number here (https://www.eircom.net/broadband/home?r=y)
    then clicked a product then entered my number and then clicked "Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home".

The value they give ties in with my new max attainable data rate of 50Mbps - based on my distance from the cabinet (over 1km more like 1.7km if using the attenuation checkers). However I do not know what it said before... Perhaps someone else can check theirs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89645425&postcount=374
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89629783&postcount=332
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89635183&postcount=337
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89624960&postcount=313

And plenty more examples from earlier in this thread.

My own parnets connection has jumped to 130mb/s attainable.

Remember the upgrade is only happening at the moment and Eircom hasn't announced anything yet. Maybe there has been a bug or some other issues in some of the cabinets, wouldn't be surprised at all, pretty normal for any major technology upgrade.

Please do remember this is one of the first rollouts of vectoring in the world!! Eircom/Huawei really are on the cutting edge here. I'd be shocked if some issues don't pop up.

Just calm down and give it a few weeks for it to all settle down and for Eircom to announce that the upgrade is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

All ISP"s are at it again.

This "up to" and the speeds that are never realisable.

Why they cannot give realisable speeds and maintain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

All true BK. Things should settle down soon hopefully. My own cab was vectored and I got a 4-5 db increase in SNR but no difference in attainable somehow and apparently Vodafone can't boost my speed yet either (92m/bit attainable) . So I'm hoping their APQ isn't upto date, or there is some other bug in the system. Awesome pings now though :)
    bk wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89645425&postcount=374
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89629783&postcount=332
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89635183&postcount=337
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89624960&postcount=313

And plenty more examples from earlier in this thread.

My own parnets connection has jumped to 130mb/s attainable.

Remember the upgrade is only happening at the moment and Eircom hasn't announced anything yet. Maybe there has been a bug or some other issues in some of the cabinets, wouldn't be surprised at all, pretty normal for any major technology upgrade.

Please do remember this is one of the first rollouts of vectoring in the world!! Eircom/Huawei really are on the cutting edge here. I'd be shocked if some issues don't pop up.

Just calm down and give it a few weeks for it to all settle down and for Eircom to announce that the upgrade is complete.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    Awesome pings now though :)

That is a very good point. To be honest, most people won't really even notice much of a real world difference in increasing download speeds.

To be honest a person on 70mb/s probably won't notice any real world difference in increasing to 100mb/s. It is more about bragging rights then anything else. To be honest, given that most people are using wifi, wifi in the real world tops out at about 70 to 80mb/s, so they won't even notice the upgrade.

Of course it will make a bigger difference for those on lower speeds and in particular it makes Eircoms eVision service more feasible.

However this significant decrease in ping times is really good news as that will actually make quiet a difference to the speeds web pages actually load and good news for latency sensitive applications such as gaming and VoIP.

Advertisement