Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

accensi0n wrote: »
    Jackson and Henshaw

I was talking about fresh injuries hence name checking the 3 games so far this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

corny wrote: »
    Starting Darcy would be a backward step of epic proportions. No joy in saying this but he's is a hindrance in attack he's that ponderous.

Also, experience is way overrated in this country. In my opinion younger lads tend to cease their opportunity if given half a chance.

Its his defensive quality and his footballing brain that will keep an inexperienced back line ticking over.
    It's ok throwing the odd new player or combo together.. But both half backs and 2 centers who have never played together, it could be very messy indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

bilston wrote: »
    I'd say just about anyone could start on the left wing out of the above.

Zebo is the man in possession and played well last week.
    McFadden was excellent today.
    Gilroy was very good tonight and is in a good run of form.
    Earls is a proven finisher
    Fitzgerald is a Lions test winger

Oh and then there is Joe's curveball...

Possession counts for nothing. Zeebs was given a runout in the Autumns to assess how well he was progressing with Joe's work-ons.
    McFadded was good. But was in the reckoning all ready.
    Gilroy is not on the radar for the 23. Still a nice player and shows the reasonable level strength in depth there at the moment.
    Earls will not be considered at the earliest until game three, and needs to show something special as well as his competition failing.
    Fitz is in without a doubt.

And Joe doesnt throw curve balls. Those seeing a selection as a Joe curveball are reallyt just seeing the gulf between their rugby knowledge and Joe's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's unfair tbh...

It is correct - he isnt great.
    But he is good at all of inside centre, outside centre, and wing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    How'd he get on?

Was it at 6?

Started at 6 and was beast-like for his entire performance. I dunno if it was the hair or the beard but he seems like a massive unit right now and was causing the Tigers all sorts of problems.

Did some cracking work at the breakdown, I'd say the Tigers were glad to see the back of him when he went off.

Honestly, another performance like that and he's definitely going to be in the plans for the 6 nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Possession counts for nothing. Zeebs was given a runout in the Autumns to assess how well he was progressing with Joe's work-ons.
    McFadded was good. But was in the reckoning all ready.
    Gilroy is not on the radar for the 23. Still a nice player and shows the reasonable level strength in depth there at the moment.
    Earls will not be considered at the earliest until game three, and needs to show something special as well as his competition failing.

And Joe doesnt throw curve balls. Those seeing a selection as a Joe curveball are reallyt just seeing the gulf between their rugby knowledge and Joe's.

Wouldn't agree with that, Zebo has started the last 5 tests for Ireland. Yes there may have been injuries but he is definitely in the driving seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I dread the thought of Ian Keatley getting any sort of significant game time in the 6N. He's not crap, but rather just average.

Earls is an interesting one though. He's a very good wing and has proven so with Munster and Ireland but never with Schmidt. He's only just back from injury too so he probably won't be brought straight into the 23. Think his return may have come a bit late for any sort of significant 6N campaign. He's probably our quickest back though, or at least he was before his last injury. Speed is something Ireland lacks. He could be an asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

With our depth at second row - POC, Toner, McCarthy, Foley, Tuohy, Ryan (when back fit) I really think Henderson should be kept at 6 for the time being. For all our depth in the back row, we don't really have that much a 'beast' factor. A backrow of Henderson, POM and Heaslip has a very nice balance to it, for example. I some people don't like the idea of shifting POM across, but in my mind he is a 7 playing with 6 on his back.

After POC retires we could re-evaluate, but for now, I'd be very excited to see:

McGrath
    Best
    Moore
    Toner
    POC
    Henderson
    POM
    Heaslip

Bench: 19: McCarthy or Foley, 20: Murphy or TOD

And then when Healy, Ruddock and SOB are back fit:

Healy
    Best
    Moore
    Toner
    POC
    POM
    SOB
    Heaslip

Bench: 19: Henderson, 20: Ruddock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Neil3030 wrote: »
    With our depth at second row - POC, Toner, McCarthy, Foley, Tuohy, Ryan (when back fit) I really think Henderson should be kept at 6 for the time being. For all our depth in the back row, we don't really have that much a 'beast' factor. A backrow of Henderson, POM and Heaslip has a very nice balance to it, for example. I some people don't like the idea of shifting POM across, but in my mind he is a 7 playing with 6 on his back.

After POC retires we could re-evaluate, but for now, I'd be very excited to see:

McGrath
    Best
    Moore
    Toner
    POC
    Henderson
    POM
    Heaslip

Bench: 19: McCarthy or Foley, 20: Murphy or TOD

And then when Healy, Ruddock and SOB are back fit:

Healy
    Best
    Moore
    Toner
    POC
    POM
    SOB
    Heaslip

Bench: 19: Henderson, 20: Ruddock

Couldn't Henderson still play 6 and have 7 on his back like Ruddock in the AI's? There only numbers at the end of the day anyway.
    Would love to see that back-row though, Henderson is a beast of a man and we badly need ball carriers. Great to see him back tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

case885 wrote: »
    Couldn't Henderson still play 6 and have 7 on his back like Ruddock in the AI's? There only numbers at the end of the day anyway.
    Would love to see that back-row though, Henderson is a beast of a man and we badly need ball carriers. Great to see him back tonight.

A 6"6, 19 stone 7. LOL.

But yeah, sure, whatever gets him on the field!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Wang King wrote: »
    Its his defensive quality and his footballing brain that will keep an inexperienced back line ticking over.
    It's ok throwing the odd new player or combo together.. But both half backs and 2 centers who have never played together, it could be very messy indeed.

Sorry but thats right. His defensive quality is a marginal call; Madigan, etc. are very capable defenders. His football brain? I don't know what that means but his footballing brain hasn't stopped him losing his place at Leinster and not putting in one decent performance (that i can recall) all year. On the contrary, his play has been stifling others all season.

Also, Darcy/ Henshaw is every bit as untested a combination as Fitz/Henshaw or any other combination. So i don't know about your point of not playing together. The lads pushing ahead of him are not untested debutantes either. Doubting their ability to adapt does them a big disservice imo.

Bar the intangible rhetoric i see no case for Darcy making the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Who'll replace DK and Reddan?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Who plays 13 then?

I realise that there is a lot of love for Fitzgerald on this MB but not even the most ardent fan can believe he can play both 13 and 11 at the same time!

Everyone knows that only BOD could do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

If Kearney is out for the whole tournament does Healy get a call up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

MattD wrote: »
    If Kearney is out for the whole tournament does Healy get a call up?

Unlikely. They still have Bowe, Zebo, McFadden and Earls, plus Fitzgerald if needed. Gilroy more likely than Healy too I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I think the wolfhound pack could be very strong with players needing game time. Could have a front row of healy,strauss,ross. Henderson and sob might also be involved. Mccarthy and Foley too. Should be a bloody good game if we have a fit out half to direct things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Now that Bent has straightened out his game and seems to be improving month on month I wouldn't be surprised to see him move up the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jacothelad wrote: »
    Now that Bent has straightened out his game and seems to be improving month on month I wouldn't be surprised to see him move up the pecking order.

If Ed Byrne had stayed fit this season Bent could well have been 4th choice for Leinster. It's crazy how much talent there is around the country at loosehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

If Ed Byrne had stayed fit this season Bent could well have been 4th choice for Leinster. It's crazy how much talent there is around the country at loosehead.

...and that's not even considering Black and Warwick. Warwick is a real find and it's really nice to see a prop play the game with a smile on his face as if he's really enjoying it. He has also played tight head a few times for Ulster. It's a shame that he isn't being developed there but at loose head he is going to be a beast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

jacothelad wrote: »
    ...and that's not even considering Black and Warwick. Warwick is a real find and it's really nice to see a prop play the game with a smile on his face as if he's really enjoying it. He has also played tight head a few times for Ulster. It's a shame that he isn't being developed there but at loose head he is going to be a beast.

Hard to believe we signed Maks Van Dyke and Jamie Hagan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hard to believe we signed Maks Van Dyke and Jamie Hagan

Healy, Byrne and Moore injured at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

bilston wrote: »
    I'd say just about anyone could start on the left wing out of the above.

Zebo is the man in possession and played well last week.
    McFadden was excellent today.
    Gilroy was very good tonight and is in a good run of form.
    Earls is a proven finisher
    Fitzgerald is a Lions test winger

I actually would have zero concerns about any of them. Schmidt will pick the one who fits his gameplan best, I have a sneaky feeling it might be McFadden but I couldn't call it.

No 3, No 7 (potentially No 6 if POM is moved to 7) and No 11 are the three positions that are up for grabs. They are all tight calls.

Oh and then there is Joe's curveball...

9 if Murray and Reddan are both out by the time the Italy game comes :)

stephen_n wrote: »
    9 if Murray and Reddan are both out by the time the Italy game comes :)

ulsters new scrum half to get his debut, Ruan O'Pienaar is his name

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

What's the story with Sexton? He's due to miss the Italian game but he's had no game time I gather since the Australian game.

How many games realistically will he start and finish for Ireland in the 6 Nations?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He'll start the second he is available I imagine. He's ludicrously far ahead of his next nearest rival for the jersey.

Coburger wrote: »
    What's the story with Sexton? He's due to miss the Italian game but he's had no game time I gather since the Australian game.

How many games realistically will he start and finish for Ireland in the 6 Nations?

excellent interview with him in the indo today by kimmage

EARLS FOR IRELAND!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

EARLS FOR IRELAND!

A 13 who knows how to score :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wang King wrote: »
    A 13 who knows how to score :)

What has he scored a hat trick or something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement