Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

bilston wrote: »
    What has he scored a hat trick or something?

He's waiting until the Italian game :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wang King wrote: »
    A 13 who knows how to score :)

Who, Darren Cave?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Hope we see Earls on Wing for Wolfhounds

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wprathead wrote: »
    Hope we see Earls on Wing for Wolfhounds

I'd say he will get gametime at both 13 and wing. McFadden, Zebo and Bowe are probably favourites for the wings with Henshaw and Fitzgerald as the preferred centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »
    What has he scored a hat trick or something?

:pac:

I'd put Earls in the category of player we cannot afford to leave out of the 23 if available, but I'd also put Fitz and Payne in that category. With Henshaw nailed in for one of the centre spots we're kind of running out of space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

EARLS FOR IRELAND!

it today the longest earls has played on his comeback so far? he needs to get a few 80s under his belt possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tox56 wrote: »
    :pac:

I'd put Earls in the category of player we cannot afford to leave out of the 23 if available, but I'd also put Fitz and Payne in that category. With Henshaw nailed in for one of the centre spots we're kind of running out of space.

A great complaint to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I'd feel more comfortable having Payne on the bench rather than Earls but I can see Earls starting on the wing anyway. It does feel a bit wrong to have someone as good as Payne sitting on the bench though. Hopefully we'll get to see him start against Scotland at least.

By the way, I think it was last week i mentioned here that Henderson could likely be at 6 for Italy with POM at 7 and it was dismissed by others. Seems even more likely to me now!

11. Earls
    12. Luke
    13. Henshaw
    14. Bowe
    15. Payne

would be an outrageous backline. Can't see Payne ousting Kearney just yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's unfortunate for Earls that he came back a bit too late. Fitzgerald has played well in all his games and even got motm in yesterday's do or die game with Wasps. Earls is right in the reckoning for the 23 though.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    It's unfortunate for Earls that he came back a bit too late. Fitzgerald has played well in all his games and even got motm in yesterday's do or die game with Wasps. Earls is right in the reckoning for the 23 though.

I wonder will Earls start the WH game with a view to him playing the full 80 to get his match fitness up a little?

aimee1 wrote: »
    I wonder will Earls start the WH game with a view to him playing the full 80 to get his match fitness up a little?

I was looking at it from the view of Earls as a centre. I think Henshaw and Fitz have the starting jerseys for the Italy game. Earls could easily start in the wing but I reckon Zebo, Bowe and Kearney will make up the back three. They're all in reasonably good form and have credit in the bank from their November test performances. Payne, Earls and Mc Fadden will scrap it out for the 23 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I'd feel more comfortable having Payne on the bench rather than Earls but I can see Earls starting on the wing anyway. It does feel a bit wrong to have someone as good as Payne sitting on the bench though. Hopefully we'll get to see him start against Scotland at least.

By the way, I think it was last week i mentioned here that Henderson could likely be at 6 for Italy with POM at 7 and it was dismissed by others. Seems even more likely to me now!

Well I will admit that I dismissed it.

After last night I'd say it's very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Williams for ireland.

Potential team to face Italy?

McGrath, Best, Moore, Toner, POC, Henderson, POM, Heaslip, Murray, Madigan, Earls, Fitz, Henshaw, Bowe, Kearney

Bench: Healy, Cronin, Ross, Foley, SOB, Marmion, Keatley, Payne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Potential team to face Italy?

McGrath, Best, Moore, Toner, POC, Henderson, POM, Heaslip, Murray, Madigan, Earls, Fitz, Henshaw, Bowe, Kearney

Bench: Healy, Cronin, Ross, Foley, SOB, Marmion, Keatley, Payne

Can't leave Zebo out of the side. He been playing very well season, was very good in the Autumn, and was world-class out of position today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd be shocked if SOB was on the bench so quickly, but maybe!

I don't know who I'd pick between Zebo, Earls and McFadden. Harsh to leave any out, but if Earls goes well for the WH, I'd nearly have to opt for him.

Clegg wrote: »
    I was looking at it from the view of Earls as a centre. I think Henshaw and Fitz have the starting jerseys for the Italy game. Earls could easily start in the wing but I reckon Zebo, Bowe and Kearney will make up the back three. They're all in reasonably good form and have credit in the bank from their November test performances. Payne, Earls and Mc Fadden will scrap it out for the 23 jersey.

im thinking that JS might be reluctant to start a guy who hasnt played 80 minutes this season. How much gametime has Payne had the last few weeks?

Zebo Bowe Kearney is the back 3. I cant see that changing barring injury.

Henshaw and Fitz for me in the centre. Fitz has put in big 80 minute shifts lately and his defence yesterday was brilliant. I dont know where people think we will go looking to tear it up in Rome. We will go there looking to win.

Murray hopefully and Madigan at half back

The bench will be Keatley, Marmion and one of McFadden, Earls, Payne and I think McFadden might get it for Italy.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if SOB was on the bench so quickly, but maybe!

I don't know who I'd pick between Zebo, Earls and McFadden. Harsh to leave any out, but if Earls goes well for the WH, I'd nearly have to opt for him.

If we're playing fantasy rugby,

11 Zebo
    12 Earls
    13 Fitz
    14 Bowe
    15 Kearney

Can't leave Zebo out of the side. He been playing very well season, was very good in the Autumn, and was world-class out of position today.

Who would he replace though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

TOD must be nailed on for the 7 jersey until SOB returns. He was always the obvious choice, but he had a brilliant game today which should quieten some doubters/critics.

aimee1 wrote: »
    im thinking that JS might be reluctant to start a guy who hasnt played 80 minutes this season. How much gametime has Payne had the last few weeks?

Zebo Bowe Kearney is the back 3. I cant see that changing barring injury.

Henshaw and Fitz for me in the centre. Fitz has put in big 80 minute shifts lately and his defence yesterday was brilliant. I dont know where people think we will go looking to tear it up in Rome. We will go there looking to win.

Murray hopefully and Madigan at half back

The bench will be Keatley, Marmion and one of McFadden, Earls, Payne and I think McFadden might get it for Italy.
    Payne's been fullback for Ulster's last two European games. Don't think he's had a run out in the 13 jersey since returning from injury, but maybe someone who follows Ulster more closely can clarify. He played well against South Africa, but not well enough that Schmidt will throw him straight back into into the starting 15, especially after an injury and little game time at outside centre.

Schmidt sees the centres as interchangeable so we may see Fitz and Henshaw change positions during certain moments of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kearney and Bowe are pretty much nailed on I'd say. For me there is no way we should ever consider omitting Henshaw either. That leaves 1 winger and 1 center.

With Trimble and Kearney out it'll be Earls or Zebo for the wing spot, Earls would be preferable for me if he was fully fit, but I'd doubt that will be the case so it'd be Zebo there in that case and he'll be absolutely fine there.

The other center spot would go to Fitzgerald for me. Henshaw playing inside Fitzgerald in the defensive line.

TOD must be nailed on for the 7 jersey until SOB returns. He was always the obvious choice, but he had a brilliant game today which should quieten some doubters/critics.

Jordi Murphy has just as good a chance I think.

If Murray is out, I can't see Henshaw and Fitz starting together

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Given Schmidt talks about gametime a lot in terms of selection decisions, could he justify selecting Mike Ross if he is suddenly 3rd choice TH at Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Well his direct competitor, Jordi Murphy, was also very good yesterday and importantly, that match was a proper one unlike today's non-event. TOD is certainly right there to start at 7 but nailed on, no chance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Wang King wrote: »
    If Murray is out, I can't see Henshaw and Fitz starting together

What's your thinking there?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Murphy also played well yesterday against a better side. I wouldn't rule him out just yet, Murphy has the physical edge which is often the difference maker for 7s at international level.

I personally think TOD is in danger of ending up as Munster's Shane Jennings, and the Sarries game is an example of how that happens to these guys. Talented opensides who begin to struggle against well structured physical opposition at the elite level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Carrying aside I thought he was poor at the breakdown today. Very rarely does he get his head down in there before the opposition. His clear outs are mediocre. If we have in there for a dynamic carrier then fair enough, but other than that I'd have murphy in as he's a more all round open side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement