Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

No, it then would have been relevant.
    Playing well against a team being trounced can be discounted. Playing badly against one is relevant however, since playing badly in that case would suggest he cant even play well against beaten teams. But he did well, so its a case of 'not proven'.

ridiculous double standards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Zzippy wrote: »
    Today absolutely was relevant. Zebo put in a good performance that Joe will have noted. Calling it world class is a bit OTT alright, it was only Sale, not the All Blacks. But it won't have done his selection chances any harm at all.

Zebo IMO is already a starter against Italy and his first half performance today was very good and his defensive display last week was more relevant. I just dont think the last 30 minutes or so today has any relevance for international selection. It looks good on the highlights reel but in real terms what did we learn about Zebo when Sale gave up? Nothing worthwhile if you ask me. The 6n wont be like that.

It was a turkey shoot for about 15 minutes.

13-10 at the break with attitude from both sides. I'm not saying that Sale team were world-beaters, but to call it an irrelevant performance is nonsense.

Would his performance have been irrelevant in your eyes, had he thrown three intercept passes, knocked on with the line at his mercy, and missed tackles left right and centre?

The last 25-30 today was a non match really. There was no intensity at all from Sale and Munster were pretty much able to do as they wished in that time. I dont see what is so hard to comprehend about that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Its not really though. If he had been terrible against a crap team with nothing to play for it would have counted pretty seriously against him. Playing well gives him some credit but not as much as playing well against a good team with something to play for would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Not really...

If Israel Dagg runs riot against Italy who really takes much notice? If Israel Dagg has a howler against Italy, I would imagine a lot of people would take notice.

So what your saying is Zebo is better than Israel Dagg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Greyian

So what your saying is Zebo is better than Israel Dagg

Indubitably!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Zebo's performance today, won't hurt his chance- 2 expert finishes that not many other wingers would pull off. I wouldn't say that they mean he'll definitely start either, but he showed what he can do... I actually think his performance against Saracens is more likely to stand to him, he was really good in a poor outfit.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Zebo's performance today, won't hurt his chance- 2 expert finishes that not many other wingers would pull off. I wouldn't say that they mean he'll definitely start either, but he showed what he can do... I actually think his performance against Saracens is more likely to stand to him, he was really good in a poor outfit.

but they were two good finishes that we know he is capable of so from that regard we learned nothing. We also know he is a good runner in space who can offload and link play.

First half today he was the best player on the pitch and that counts big time because the game was close but once Sale gave up it was more importantly a case of please nobody get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

aimee1 wrote: »
    should zebo start ... yes

does today have a bearing on it, no. It was a turkey shoot against a 2nd string side so it has no relevance really.
    aimee1 wrote: »
    The last 25-30 today was a non match really. There was no intensity at all from Sale and Munster were pretty much able to do as they wished in that time. I dont see what is so hard to comprehend about that to be honest.

Your initial post that I responded to is above, saying that the whole match was irrelevant. You then changed your position in the second quoted part, which brings you roughly into line with what I was saying, but you went ahead and straw-manned me anyway just to save face.

Your initial post that I responded to is above, saying that the whole match was irrelevant. You then changed your position in the second quoted part, which brings you roughly into line with what I was saying, but you went ahead and straw-manned me anyway just to save face.

i havent changed position. I just dont think today has any bearing on selection and cannot be used to judge a player. The first half was competitive enough but it was a non event, Munster were never going to lose today.

Zebo played very well, but I dont think it makes or breaks his selection for italy. I already think he is going to make the XV anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Zzippy wrote: »
    Today absolutely was relevant. Zebo put in a good performance that Joe will have noted. Calling it world class is a bit OTT alright, it was only SaleSale's seconds, not the All Blacks. But it won't have done his selection chances any harm at all.

FYP...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd be delighted if our brace of wings are picked from the following players (in no particular order);

Bowe
    Fitzgerald
    Zebo
    Earls

Not really bothered which ones start. All are top notch players. Some stronger than others but all more than capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Possibly already mentioned, but Peter O'Reilly reckons Ross will start both the Wolfhounds and Italy matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So with Henderson now back and playing an hour last night, is there a chance he'll start against Italy? I'd expect him to start for the Wolfhounds also to give him another good run and increase his fitness.

We have an issue in the back row with our front line options at 7 absent. Given POM has experience of playing 7, I would think there's a half decent chance that Schmidt will move POM and look to start Henderson at 6 against Italy, just as he did in the 2014 6N.

It would give us a stronger contingent as well as bringing Henderson up to speed as quickly as possible for the later games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If Henderson is anywhere near his best he has to play. Simply too destructive to leave out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »
    So with Henderson now back and playing an hour last night, is there a chance he'll start against Italy? I'd expect him to start for the Wolfhounds also to give him another good run and increase his fitness.

We have an issue in the back row with our front line options at 7 absent. Given POM has experience of playing 7, I would think there's a half decent chance that Schmidt will move POM and look to start Henderson at 6 against Italy, just as he did in the 2014 6N.

It would give us a stronger contingent as well as bringing Henderson up to speed as quickly as possible for the later games.

Kind of reminds me of my other international team: Kieran Read gets injured for example and everyone debates which of the far less capable 8s will get the nod...and instead McCaw goes to 8, and Cane gets 7. Much like Ruddock getting moved from from 6 to 7 in Autumn, I wouldn't be surprised to see a proven loosie in another role (eg POM) get moved to 7, and their place get taken by a more able back-up. Far from certain IMO that TOD or Murphy get the nod.

I must say, what luck that Italy first up. Imagine if it was England in Twickenham...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Possibly already mentioned, but Peter O'Reilly reckons Ross will start both the Wolfhounds and Italy matches.

Hmm wolfhounds yes but really don't think he should be starting against Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Henderson coming in would echo what happened in the Autumn with Ruddock, getting the best players on the pitch even if it means someone being out of position.

Neither Murphy nor TOD are particularly exciting options for 7 really, although Murphy was good yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Hendo needs to be able to play 80 mins. We will beat Italy with TOM or JM but France game is different given the physicality they will bring to game. I'd give Hendo 60 mins against Saxons, then give him 30 mins off bench against Italy where he could cause some damage if game has loosened up a bit and then I'd start him against France. POM and Hendo could play in same back row.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I must say, what luck that Italy first up. Imagine if it was England in Twickenham...

be a major bummer for the people who bought tickets to the england game in the aviva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zebo was very good today, but it needs to be held in context. The game was made for him. A 6 Nations game would be utterly different.

For me what was most pleasing was Earls' form. Again, it was a reasonably handy one for him to excel in but coming back from injury with little game time under his belt could have really hampered him and it didn't.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Zebo was very good today, but it needs to be held in context. The game was made for him. A 6 Nations game would be utterly different.

For me what was most pleasing was Earls' form. Again, it was a reasonably handy one for him to excel in but coming back from injury with little game time under his belt could have really hampered him and it didn't.

Earls hasnt completed a full 80 and he went off with an injury of sorts from what I see on twitter. Tight groin. Thats why i feel he might not feature in the 23 for first two 6n games. His line and finish for the try was excellent.

molloyjh wrote: »

Earls hasnt completed a full 80 and he went off with an injury of sorts from what I see on twitter. Tight groin. Thats why i feel he might not feature in the 23 for first two 6n games. His line and finish for the try was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'm just not buying this Henderson being nailed on thing at all, yes he has impressed at club level but his performances in green have so far been underwhelming, with defenses better set and quicker to take him down, his destructive ball carrying hasn't emerged yet at international level. Going with a more traditional 7 in Murphy or TOD and leaving POM to do his thing at six may be conservative but also the right way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

I gotta say I'm a little perplexed at how many posters here are pleased that our first match in the 6N is Italy away.
    Sure there are no easy games in the 6N anymore, but Italy first up heightens risk of us being on the receiving end of bad injuries IMO. They're big up front and usually plan to use full on battering ram tactics. This usually results in them running out of puff by 60 minutes, but not before doing someone some damage.
    The fact that we play them first means they're freshest. (If we played them later in the tournament they probably-as they usually do-lose some of their heavy hitters through injury).

Call me pessimistic, but give me (either home or away) Wales or Scotland first and I'd see at as a smoother introduction to the tournament.

We will win in Rome, I'm sure of that.
    But a real victory will be coming out of that game without fresh injuries. (To the forwards in particular.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't think we're any more likely to pick up injuries playing Italy than we are any of the other teams in the 6nations tbh. We tend to be pretty slow starters, so I'm pleased we're kicking off with a team we can afford to make mistakes against. And seeing as we are going to be without Sexton it's doubly positive. I wouldn't be at all confident of us getting a win against the other teams without him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Italy aren't the eight man team they used to be, and looking at their squad they have one of the weakest packs they've had for years.
    They're actually trying to play some expansive rugby these days and have found a half decent 10 to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So, my guess for the WH team...

01. McGrath
    02. Strauss
    03. Ross
    04. Foley
    05. McCarthy
    06. Henderson
    07. Murphy
    08. Conan
    09. Marmion
    10. Keatley