Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I honestly don't think this will affect his Ireland chances. Joe is his own man and Feek will be able to tell very quickly if Ross is up to it or not. It may simply be the case that Leinster want to start Moore and don't regard Ross as dynamic enough to be a bench option, something Furlong definitely is.

I think Joe will be most interested in Payne at 15 and Earls at 13 this week. I'd expect Earls to have a field day against the Sale seconds so it might be of limited benefit, but even if he can run for 80 minutes and not get injured, that's great for Ireland.

Yeah the thing I'm most nervous about this weekend is seeing both Fitzy and Earls getting injured ahead of the 6 Nations again. That would be quite upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah the thing I'm most nervous about this weekend is seeing both Fitzy and Earls getting injured ahead of the 6 Nations again. That would be quite upsetting.

Add Bowe to that too, his last 6N was 2012 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Do people expect Earls to be considered for the centre or wing with Ireland??? For me, I think he's better on the wing so I'd like to see him start on the wing for the Wolfhounds with Payne, who needs the game time, at 13.

Too many better option at 13 for Earls to be in consideration. He's had a few shots at it already as it didn't really work out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

S12b wrote: »
    Do people expect Earls to be considered for the centre or wing with Ireland??? For me, I think he's better on the wing so I'd like to see him start on the wing for the Wolfhounds with Payne, who needs the game time, at 13.

I have a nagging feeling Schmidt will go for Payne at 13 again like vs SA with Henshaw at 12 and Fitz at 11. But I would love to see a Fitzgerald-Henshaw midfield and Zebo at 11, with Earls potentially coming in for Zebo as the tournament progresses and Payne waiting in the wings as a hell of an impact sub/injury cover

Tox56 wrote: »
    I have a nagging feeling Schmidt will go for Payne at 13 again like vs SA with Henshaw at 12 and Fitz at 11. But I would love to see a Fitzgerald-Henshaw midfield and Zebo at 11, with Earls potentially coming in for Zebo as the tournament progresses and Payne waiting in the wings as a hell of an impact sub/injury cover

Hmm unfortunately you could well be right. Like most Irish fans, I'd love to see a Henshaw/Fitz midfield.....I also think Fitz has done more at 13 in the last 6 weeks than Payne has ever done there so give us the midfield we all want and stick anyone of Zebo/Earls/Kearney at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

I honestly don't think this will affect his Ireland chances. Joe is his own man and Feek will be able to tell very quickly if Ross is up to it or not. It may simply be the case that Leinster want to start Moore and don't regard Ross as dynamic enough to be a bench option, something Furlong definitely is.

I think Joe will be most interested in Payne at 15 and Earls at 13 this week. I'd expect Earls to have a field day against the Sale seconds so it might be of limited benefit, but even if he can run for 80 minutes and not get injured, that's great for Ireland.

Surely it has to affect it to some degree. By the time of the Italy game, Ross won't have played a match for, what, a month? I wonder is there any chance they might give him a run for the wolfhounds?
    He's just been leapfrogged by two guys; you'd think that would hold some sway with the Irish coaches in what was already a close call.

Flipper22 wrote: »
    Surely it has to affect it to some degree. By the time of the Italy game, Ross won't have played a match for, what, a month? I wonder is there any chance they might give him a run for the wolfhounds?
    He's just been leapfrogged by two guys; you'd think that would hold some sway with the Irish coaches in what was already a close call.

Most of the papers are suggesting Ross and White will be involved with the Wolfhounds.....could actually be a very strong front row for that game.....McGrath + Healy at loosehead with Ross + White at tighthead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't think it's that clear cut between Marmion and Boss. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Schmidt opt for Boss in the case of injury. Marmion gets a lot of praise because he's electric in open play, but I still think the technical aspects of his game need work.

Boss's form and execution has fallen off a cliff this season, we can only assume that come the WC it will have declined even further. His pass was never great but it has deteriorated rapidly this season, his decision making is ponderous and suspect, pretty much all he has left to offer is a strong defense at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think Joe is a fan of Luke at 13, he mentioned him when BOD retired, given the length of Paynes lay off and the fact he hasn't been playing 13 would leave Luke ahead of him in the pecking order. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Luke at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ireland Injury watch

31 mimutes into 320 minutes of European rugby and already Dave Kearney and Eoin Reddan have had to leave the field.

McFadden making a big impression today. Might be nailing down the jersey for Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

bilston wrote: »
    McFadden making a big impression today. Might be nailing down the jersey for Rome

Murphy as well, some very nice carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

murray and reddan out would be a disaster

Murphy as well, some very nice carries.

Yeah some noticeable carries. One silly penalty when Wasps were under pressure is one black mark against him, but a 7 who gives away no penalties isn't doing his job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

i would be hopeful reddan isnt too bad, it looks more like a knock , hopefully anyway

Yeah some noticeable carries. One silly penalty when Wasps were under pressure is one black mark against him, but a 7 who gives away no penalties isn't doing his job!

Was that him specifically? Ryan, Toner and him and also McFadden I think were all borderline at that ruck to say the least

I still think if Hendo is fit he'll play 6 and POM 7 v Italy

Was that him specifically? Ryan, Toner and him and also McFadden I think were all borderline at that ruck to say the least

I still think if Hendo is fit he'll play 6 and POM 7 v Italy

I thought he interfered with Simpson when he got off the ground. You might be right though. Maybe it was just a coincidence that Garces blew his whistle at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Is Murray out of the Italy game?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,209 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bent has been HUGE today! !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,027 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I can't see past Fitz for the 13 shirt after this defensive display. He's been outstanding. Reading the Wasps attack like a cheap novel.

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lucky Leinster.

awec wrote: »
    Lucky Leinster.

Fitzgerald SURVIVED and that's all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,829 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Some good performances from Mc Fadden and Jordi Murphy. They've done their international chances no harm here. I think Fitz has cemented his place in the 23 bar another injury. Heaslip, I think, is the best back row in Ireland by a distance right now and had another monster game.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

why did Heaslip leave the pitch after 60 min for Conan though? still not 100%?

Clegg wrote: »
    Some good performances from Mc Fadden and Jordi Murphy. They've done their international chances no harm here. I think Fitz has cemented his place in the 23 bar another injury. Heaslip, I think, is the best back row in Ireland by a distance right now and had another monster game.

But was Heaslip injured when he went off?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Fitzgerald SURVIVED and that's all that matters

I won't stop worrying until he's home safe and gets wrapped in cotton wool and tucked into bed 'til February.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,829 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I hope not.

I don't think they mentioned it in the BT commentary but I'm pretty sure I saw Heaslip laying on the ground in discomfort right before they cut to a replay. By the time the replay was over Conan was on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,027 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That shoulder is still troubling him. Two weeks now before the 6N so hopefully it heals up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement