Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭accensi0n

andymx11 wrote: »
    So 3 games down and the "only" injuries we are looking at are DK & ER correct? I think Jamie is ok going by what MOC said. Reddan will be the biggest worry if Murray is out.

Hopefully Munster will get through tomorrow without any major injuries. They have fewer players (say than Leinster) that will potentially be in the 23 so it a lower risk from a national POV.

Jackson and Henshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

How'd Payne get on?

Played well, defensively was immense, but he was at 15 and has no chance of usurping Kearney in the short term. I think he will be No.23 against Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm expecting McFadden on the bench, Murphy to start at 7 and a Henshaw/Fitzgerald centre partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Holy sh*t. So Murray a doubt, Reddan a major doubt.

It's Boss time baby! WOOOO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm expecting McFadden on the bench, Murphy to start at 7 and a Henshaw/Fitzgerald centre partnership.

Yep unless Henderson starts at 6 and O'Mahony at 7 with Murphy getting the 20 jersey.
    The backs options look tasty.
    Henshaw/Fitz in midfield
    Zebo or McFadden at 11?
    If Zebo, then McFadden on the bench or maybe Payne at 23 instead?
    Or Henshaw/Payne in midfield and Zebo at 11 with McFadden on the bench.
    Oooooooorrrr
    D'Arcy/Henshaw in midfield?
    I think Boards.ie would explode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

aimee1 wrote: »

Terrible for the two lads, but it shouldn't have too much of an effect 6N match-day squads. Marmionn will now get a well-deserved opportunity to nail down the bench spot before the RWC, and its likely that Kearney would have only featured in the wolfhounds game. Murray's fitness is now a huge worry, as Boss benching in the 6N is a huge worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah bad news for the two. It's like the worst time of the year, as they might find it hard to make the matchday 23 now for the season, if Marmion gets ahead of Reddan, and any of the multitude of wingers ahead of Kearney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

If Murray is out, I can't see a centre partnership of Fitz and Henshaw starting the game.
    Too many new partnerships, new positions and new faces all at once imo. Would be of the opinion that Darce is a show in to start ......and Jones for 23 ahead of Payne

Terrible for the two lads, but it shouldn't have too much of an effect 6N match-day squads. Marmionn will now get a well-deserved opportunity to nail down the bench spot before the RWC, and its likely that Kearney would have only featured in the wolfhounds game. Murray's fitness is now a huge worry, as Boss benching in the 6N is a huge worry.

DK had a shot at starting in the italy game. Reddan would definitely be in the 23 so it does affect things. Kearney played all 400 minutes last year [Heaslip and R Kearney the only other two players to do so] so he most definitely would be considered a XV contender.

If Murrays injury doesnt clear up we are [it could be argued] without first and second choice 9 and 10 ... Murray, Reddan, Sexton, Jackson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Murray & Sexton are both out, we're in big trouble. And then Reddan & Jackson out too... disaster.

Henderson, Earls, possibly Healy all have a chance to lay down a marker in the WH game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Payne too good a player to not be involved in an Ireland 23. He probably needs another run out next week to improve his fitness but if he doesn't start he must be on bench. McFadden is a fine player but not in same league as Jared Payne. Payne covers fullback and centre comfortably, if Fitz starts he can cover wing if needs be. McFadden covers wing and centre so no real advantage of having McFadden on bench at expense of a superior footballer ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,027 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Wouldn't be surprised if McFadden started tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I think its between Earls and Payne for 23, theres a good chance they will start the WH game so it will be interesting.
    Zebo and Bowe will retain wing spots.

Brewster wrote: »
    Payne too good a player to not be involved in an Ireland 23. He probably needs another run out next week to improve his fitness but if he doesn't start he must be on bench. McFadden is a fine player but not in same league as Jared Payne. Payne covers fullback and centre comfortably, if Fitz starts he can cover wing if needs be. McFadden covers wing and centre so no real advantage of having McFadden on bench at expense of a superior footballer ??

JS might decide he needs McFadden's directness on the bench? Its so hard to know, its good though that we have so many options.

Even with Kearney and Trimble out, you've got a choice between Zebo, Earls, McFadden, Fitzgerald and Gilroy for that spot. Gilroy was supposed to have been in good form today, Fitz did very well in the centre, McFadden was excellent, Zebo excellent last week and Earls has proven quality if he can get back up to speed.

The selection will be interesting.

I think McFadden will be somewhere in the 23. The big unknown is who plays centre, it will all cascade from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,027 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Even with Kearney and Trimble out, you've got a choice between Zebo, Earls, McFadden, Fitzgerald and Gilroy for that spot. Gilroy was supposed to have been in good form today, Fitz did very well in the centre, McFadden was excellent, Zebo excellent last week and Earls has proven quality if he can get back up to speed.

It's not to do with quality but purely down to lack of rugby I can see Earls missing out when you've the other options in good form. Bowe is going to start obviously and I'd bet the house on Henshaw starting in the centre. So you're left with who plays one of the centre spots and who plays the other wing.

McFadden can goalkick which is definitely a point in his favour for the 23.

Fireball07 wrote: »

I'd say just about anyone could start on the left wing out of the above.

Zebo is the man in possession and played well last week.
    McFadden was excellent today.
    Gilroy was very good tonight and is in a good run of form.
    Earls is a proven finisher
    Fitzgerald is a Lions test winger

I actually would have zero concerns about any of them. Schmidt will pick the one who fits his gameplan best, I have a sneaky feeling it might be McFadden but I couldn't call it.

No 3, No 7 (potentially No 6 if POM is moved to 7) and No 11 are the three positions that are up for grabs. They are all tight calls.

Oh and then there is Joe's curveball...

bilston wrote: »
    I'd say just about anyone could start on the left wing out of the above.

Zebo is the man in possession and played well last week.
    McFadden was excellent today.
    Gilroy was very good tonight and is in a good run of form.
    Earls is a proven finisher
    Fitzgerald is a Lions test winger

I actually would have zero concerns about any of them. Schmidt will pick the one who fits his gameplan best, I have a sneaky feeling it might be McFadden but I couldn't call it.

No 3, No 7 (potentially No 6 if POM is moved to 7) and No 11 are the three positions that are up for grabs. They are all tight calls.

Oh and then there is Joe's curveball...

Has POM got an injury? Saw a post on here earlier saying he might have.

Curveball could be Michael Bent.

• Advertisement

It's not to do with quality but purely down to lack of rugby I can see Earls missing out when you've the other options in good form. Bowe is going to start obviously and I'd bet the house on Henshaw starting in the centre. So you're left with who plays one of the centre spots and who plays the other wing.

I'd agree that he is at a disadvantage. But like Healy & SOB, the fact that he was called up at all gives him some sort of opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Brewster wrote: »

McFadden covers a lot of positions, but he isn't great in any one of them. Both Earls and Fitzgerald are much better players in every position from 11 to 15.

If we don't get any more injuries before the 6N, we'll be able to throw some exciting/brilliant backlines and benches together. Just think of all the permutations available using Zebo, Henshaw, Fitzgerald, Earls, Payne, Bowe and Kearney :eek:.

The only glaring weakness is at 12. While I'd love us to try find a way to successfully shoe-horn all of our best players on to the pitch, it might be worth having a look at Madigan in the 12 jersey. Provided he remains at Leinster, its likely that Madigan is going to play almost all of his rugby at 12 for at least the next 4 years, and a distributor at 12 would allow us to get more from our outside backs. Olding would be able to bring a similar skillset to the 12 jersey too.

The following backline could tear Italy apart if they clicked:
    9 - Murray
    10 - Keatley (Sexton when fit)
    11 - Zebo
    12 - Madigan
    13 - Henshaw
    14 - Bowe
    15 - Kearney

21 - Marmionn
    22 - Fitzgerald
    23 - Earls
    24th man - Jared Payne

Is it though? How often has he kicked in the last couple of years? Murray and Kearney can both kick if Madigan were to have a 'mare, or Keatley could come on if it got really bad, and to be fair other than today has there been any reason to think Madigan's goal kicking has been this season?

In saying that I think McFadden might start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

Wang King wrote: »
    If Murray is out, I can't see a centre partnership of Fitz and Henshaw starting the game.
    Too many new partnerships, new positions and new faces all at once imo. Would be of the opinion that Darce is a show in to start ......and Jones for 23 ahead of Payne

Starting Darcy would be a backward step of epic proportions. No joy in saying this but he's is a hindrance in attack he's that ponderous.

Also, experience is way overrated in this country. In my opinion younger lads tend to cease their opportunity if given half a chance.

McFadden covers a lot of positions, but he isn't great in any one of them. Both Earls and Fitzgerald are much better players in every position from 11 to 15.

If we don't get any more injuries before the 6N, we'll be able to throw some exciting/brilliant backlines and benches together. Just think of all the permutations available using Zebo, Henshaw, Fitzgerald, Earls, Payne, Bowe and Kearney :eek:.

The only glaring weakness is at 12. While I'd love us to try find a way to successfully shoe-horn all of our best players on to the pitch, it might be worth having a look at Madigan in the 12 jersey. Provided he remains at Leinster, its likely that Madigan is going to play almost all of his rugby at 12 for at least the next 4 years, and a distributor at 12 would allow us to get more from our outside backs. Olding would be able to bring a similar skillset to the 12 jersey too.

The following backline could tear Italy apart if they clicked:
    9 - Murray
    10 - Keatley (Sexton when fit)
    11 - Zebo
    12 - Madigan
    13 - Henshaw
    14 - Bowe
    15 - Kearney

21 - Marmionn
    22 - Fitzgerald
    23 - Earls
    24th man - Jared Payne

i cannot see us putting our only 2 likely 10s on the pitch at the same time

for me its

Murray [hopefully], Madigan, Zebo, Henshaw, Fitz, Bowe , Kearney

Bench is Marmion, McFadden and Payne/Earls

i cannot see us putting our only 2 likely 10s on the pitch at the same time

for me its

Murray [hopefully], Madigan, Zebo, Henshaw, Fitz, Bowe , Kearney

Bench is Marmion, McFadden and Payne/Earls

Who'd cover at 10?

Who'd cover at 10?

Sorry should say Bench: Marmion, Keatley, McFadden/Payne/Earls

The actual quote from O'Connor isn't too definite about Reddan, if it's just a strain then he might be ok for Rome.

It was obvious straight away that DK was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

McFadden covers a lot of positions, but he isn't great in any one of them.

That's unfair tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's unfair tbh...

It is simply plain wrong. Cracking winger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement