Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ninty wrote: »
    How soon do they cut u off if you just get rid of analogue tv part of package

Generally never. The notch filtering required to take away the TV and leave broadband is too complicated to bother with and may need to be changed if they move channels etc so its not done.
    hfallada wrote: »
    You have to question why are they giving a ton of price increases in the last few years when Sky is launching their fiber broadband next month. UPC had to gain their customers from Eircom. They will happily move on if they can get a similar service elsewhere

Sky cannot offer you more than 100mbits when they get VDSL going, most people will be below 70. UPC could offer 400mbits in the morning if they felt they had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

No email here yet. Are the price hikes on the website yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭chases0102

Got an email yesterday that my price is going up a euro for just Broadband.

They're an awful cheeky shower in my view.

Would love to cancel them...does anyone know of a strong, reliable and non-contract Broadband alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    No email here yet. Are the price hikes on the website yet?

The emails are taking time to go out. From a upc rep, it depends when your bill is due. I'd give it a few more days, it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Looking at other people currently charged the same as me. It looks like they will ask me for a €7 increase. The can fook right off. A near ten percent increase, when inflation this year was basically zero. (-0.29% as far as Nov 2014)
    Paying too much as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

Same here no email but I called them and they said I was due an increase. They mush of been overwhelmed yesterday as there VoIP system was breaking up and the site giving errors most of the day. Am going to cancel my tv sub and get rid of this awful horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Could anyone tell me where I need to go, or whom I need to talk to, in order to get a Sky TV-only set up? I've only ever had UPC or their predecessors, so have no clue how to go about transferring to Sky.

Do I have to have a dish? Will they install this for me? Will they do the whole set-up start to finish? (I presume they will, for a price, but will this bankrupt me?)

I have no interest in BB or phones, I'm only looking for the equivalent to my current UPC set-up (Horizon).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭BEB

Just wondering if its true that if your on a reduced rate then no increase, I got them down to 34euro good few months ago over all the faults and issues the box was having.. If not then im going to cancel asap.. The service isnt worth more than 34 per month tbh... I'd prefer to pay for stand alone broadband and use an android box..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me where I need to go, or whom I need to talk to, in order to get a Sky TV-only set up? I've only ever had UPC or their predecessors, so have no clue how to go about transferring to Sky.

Usually just give Sky a call, however it might be worth going into Carphone Warehouse as they can have good deals with Sky. In most cases, Sky will give you a box with installation (including the dish) for free if you are a new customer.

• Advertisement

P.S. It's worth noting Sky have also increased their rates too, starting in February I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

BEB wrote: »
    Just wondering if its true that if your on a reduced rate then no increase, I got them down to 34euro good few months ago over all the faults and issues the box was having.. If not then im going to cancel asap.. The service isnt worth more than 34 per month tbh... I'd prefer to pay for stand alone broadband and use an android box..

Am in same situation as yourself. Got the half price offer for year from loyalty dept which many on here received. Will be cancelling if they revert to original price plus increase

Benzino wrote: »
    P.S. It's worth noting Sky have also increased their rates too, starting in February I believe.

If that was directed at me, it's not only the price increase that's goaded me into action - it's a combination of the increase, the size of the increase, and the fact that the UPC box failed on me, yet again, less than 12 hours after the notification of the increase. Think I've reached a tipping point.

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking into it all next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Sky have increased their prices every year as well lads, they are all at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭BEB

mjp wrote: »
    Am in same situation as yourself. Got the half price offer for year from loyalty dept which many on here received. Will be cancelling if they revert to original price plus increase

yea just wondering if in fact we will stay at the reduced rate! as far as i can remember it was gauranteed for one year at 34euro, well thats what ill be saying otherwise ill cancel and get stand alone broadband..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Do I have to have a dish? Will they install this for me? Will they do the whole set-up start to finish? (I presume they will, for a price, but will this bankrupt me?)

I have no interest in BB or phones, I'm only looking for the equivalent to my current UPC set-up (Horizon).

Go to www.sky.com

All the info there

glic83 wrote: »
    Sky have increased their prices every year as well lads, they are all at it
    Sky boxes seem to just work, though.

That'd make all the difference for me.

Unless anyone reading this has tales of Sky box failures? There's a few hundred pages of UPC complaints on various threads of boards.ie which make for very depressing reading. Why we're all still paying them money (including me) is beyond me, except that the prospect of switching over is a daunting one, intertia and hoping it doesn't happen AGAIN is much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

BEB wrote: »
    yea just wondering if in fact we will stay at the reduced rate! as far as i can remember it was gauranteed for one year at 34euro, well thats what ill be saying otherwise ill cancel and get stand alone broadband..

I was in the same boat, had my package reduced to 45 euro. However received an email yesterday to say that my bill will increase by 10 euro per month. Will be downgrading to broadband only.

Why we're all still paying them money (including me) is beyond me, except that the prospect of switching over is a daunting one, intertia and hoping it doesn't happen AGAIN is much easier!

Speaking for myself, UPC are the best broadband provider in the country imo. I've been with Vodafone, Eircom, Digiweb and some other wireless broadband provider whose name I forget and non come close to matching UPC in terms of speed, price and uptime.

I don't have TV with UPC, mainly due to all the horror stories on here, instead I have Sky, so I can't comment on that aspect.

Benzino wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, UPC are the best broadband provider in the country imo. I've been with Vodafone, Eircom, Digiweb and some other wireless broadband provider whose name I forget and non come close to matching UPC in terms of speed, price and uptime.

I don't have TV with UPC, mainly due to all the horror stories on here, instead I have Sky, so I can't comment on that aspect.

I'm looking for TV only - have broadband sorted elsewhere to my satisfaction, so just looking for the best telly deal I can find. Preferably one that works reliably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Unless anyone reading this has tales of Sky box failures? There's a few hundred pages of UPC complaints on various threads of boards.ie which make for very depressing reading. Why we're all still paying them money (including me) is beyond me, except that the prospect of switching over is a daunting one, intertia and hoping it doesn't happen AGAIN is much easier!

Agree with you on the issues with the horizon boxes, we always had sky untill we moved house last year and upc were able to install before christmas, was ready to move back to sky when wegot notified of the price increase, but rang upc and got a great deal. Sky have been ringing us ever since but under contract untill next month so will see what happens then.

I do find the basic packs with sky is a lot of repeats and no great value unless its an offer you are on with them. Upc's bb can't be faulted for me personally though never had an issue and wifi around the house is fine so maybe I'm just one of the lucky one's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

A lot of the issues you have describe have been fixed in the new firmware I'm currently trailing it now.

What's it like? What are the changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Haven't got the email yet but I am one of those who negotiated a better price last year and was preparing for battle before March when my 12 months was up. Looks like I will be starting my negotiations early to maintain my 12 month half price contract :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Thinks it's also time for me to move away from UPC TV and get a freesat box.

My new bill works out at €1020 a year from them...eeek..and I don't even have any sports or movie channels.

Not sure why I stayed this long to be honest. I have been with them 10 years and loved them until the Horizon box came out. Having never had to call UPC before the new box I find myself on to them every 2 or 3 weeks now. Nothing works as it should and the GUI is cumbersome.

I have just been in the UK and used a friends BT TV and Internet service. The difference in the user interface and experience is miles apart. UPC could learn a thing or 2 from them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mine going up by €11 a month. My bill is now meant to be €130 odd a month (€1500 a year)! Thankfully on a very subsidised offer. If that goes, I'll be off to Sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I'm a huge fan of Sky'a UI and general service., but I've had 3 sky boxes replaced in the last 12 months. I was on the Horizon pre-launch trial and it was awful. UPC's broadband is the best by far. They have a monopoly on high speed internet effectively.

Half price Sky plus discounted UPC Broadband is the best way to go.

I'm a huge fan of Sky'a UI and general service., but I've had 3 sky boxes replaced in the last 12 months. I was on the Horizon pre-launch trial and it was awful. UPC's broadband is the best by far. They have a monopoly on high speed internet effectively.

Half price Sky plus discounted UPC Broadband is the best way to go.

Once again, though, I have my broadband sorted, so am not looking for, or able to, bundle up.

Just looking for a TV service that works reliably.

Am slightly depressed at the 3 Sky boxes in one year story...... what issues did you have that necessitated that level of replacements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

gandalf wrote: »
    Haven't got the email yet but I am one of those who negotiated a better price last year and was preparing for battle before March when my 12 months was up. Looks like I will be starting my negotiations early to maintain my 12 month half price contract :)
    They're no longer giving 12 month loyalty discounts - just 6 monthly ones so when the time comes for you to try to renew/negotiate they'll renew your existing discounts which will expire after 6 months though you'll be locked into a new 12 month contract with the 'promise' that they'll 'look at your account at that stage' but no solid guarantee.

It looks as if they're hell bent on getting everyone to switch to Horizon & will offer a decent deal for 6 months on that, but the net result is you'll be paying more no matter what you do.

I'll be downgrading to one of the new broadband & phone bundles (€40 or €45) & ditching their tv offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Once again, though, I have my broadband sorted, so am not looking for, or able to, bundle up.

Just looking for a TV service that works reliably.

Am slightly depressed at the 3 Sky boxes in one year story...... what issues did you have that necessitated that level of replacements?
    if you're considering Sky for tv you should consider biting the bullet & getting satellite installed instead for a once off financial outlay. You can check out the satellite forum for suggestions here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55 & be done with subscriptions once & for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

One could go down the road of having a dish installed.

For another room in the house I have dish with a Free Sat box and an indoor antenna for RTE.

Can switch over in matter of seconds.

Besides the TV total cost for installation and box €190.

Have all the UK Channels. One can check the frees at channels on the Freesat website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement