Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

240 mbps will only work on wired connection....61 Mbps max i get on my wifi for a 200 Mbps connection !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RainyDay wrote: »
    Please point me to one current car advert which quotes a speed that you can't actually achieve in Ireland?

Every car brochure ever printed has a top speed printed. 90% of cars have top speeds in excess of 120km/h. Go to your local car dealer and read a brochure for anything, expect maybe a Reva G-Wiz
    I would suggest that their advertising would point out that the actual speed achieved will depend on the end user's equipment and configuration.

This is on a par with a car ad having to tell you to obey the laws in whatever country you drive in, a food ad telling you that you may want different portion sizes to what they say on the box, etc, etc. Completely pointless and serving no purpose.

Anyway, as pointed out - their T&Cs which are mentioned in adverts do point this out. You referenced financial ads - all they do is mention T&Cs which you have to look up yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

http://puu.sh/e7fPj/cd01a585ef.png

Right there when you scroll down to terms on the broadband and phone page.
    Thanks - they could hardly have made it more difficult to find and understand. I'd say maybe 1 in a 100 potential customers actually finds this, and about half of those understand what it means.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Every car brochure ever printed has a top speed printed. 90% of cars have top speeds in excess of 120km/h. Go to your local car dealer and read a brochure for anything, expect maybe a Reva G-Wiz
    Who mentioned brochures? I'm not talking about brochures. I'm talking about high profile TV advertising, like this;

Speed of service is a key feature of the advert "5 times faster than Sky" - but how many customers will actually achieve the "5 times faster than Sky"?
    This is on a par with a car ad having to tell you to obey the laws in whatever country you drive in, a food ad telling you that you may want different portion sizes to what they say on the box, etc, etc. Completely pointless and serving no purpose.
    There are lots of similar provisos on other ads, including food ads which warn you about obesity, and drink ads with warn you about drunkenness.
    Anyway, as pointed out - their T&Cs which are mentioned in adverts do point this out. You referenced financial ads - all they do is mention T&Cs which you have to look up yourself.

Financial ads often do a lot more than this. They highlight key issues in the provisos in the ads, such as 'Your home is at risk if you don't keep up repayments" or "The value of your investment may fall as well as rise".

UPC aren't doing this. They are advertising key benefits of a service which they know won't be achieved by many of their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Who mentioned brochures? I'm not talking about brochures. I'm talking about high profile TV advertising, like this;

Speed of service is a key feature of the advert "5 times faster than Sky" - but how many customers will actually achieve the "5 times faster than Sky"?

There are lots of similar provisos on other ads, including food ads which warn you about obesity, and drink ads with warn you about drunkenness.

Financial ads often do a lot more than this. They highlight key issues in the provisos in the ads, such as 'Your home is at risk if you don't keep up repayments" or "The value of your investment may fall as well as rise".

UPC aren't doing this. They are advertising key benefits of a service which they know won't be achieved by many of their customers.

First off, it's an up to xMbit service not a guaranteed bandwidth. Secondly, they never say that even if every Kb was available to use you can use it on any one device. The bandwidth is sent to your router which in turn is allocated to various devices connected.

The fact of the matter is that they are providing what they are advertising to your router. It is up to you after that on how it is used. You can connect more than once device and saturate the entire amount of available bandwidth or you can connect a single wifi device and be subject to physical limitations outside of UPC's control.

Go wired if you want to get the most out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The Upc forum and cable forums are covering the latest changes and are more suitable.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement