Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭BEB

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm 6 months into my current contract and ive been offered 120mb with free calls for basically 3euro more, as they don't offer my package anymore.

If i accept this, do I get put into another 12 month contract?

Is it worth my while ringing on Monday and saying i'm thinking of cancelling to see if i'm offered anything else?

Its always worth phoning them to say you are going to cancel.. esp now that you can opt out due to t&c changes on their part.. Ill be doing it on Monday too.. I really need it confirmed that the current bundle I was gauranteed for 12 months @ €34 p/m will be kept, I know its only an extra €7 they are increasing but the tv service is barely worth paying extra for..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 maryown

hi,
    my UPC broadband contract is going to be finished in 6 weeks. Any ideas what number to call and what to say to get best deal for broadband only? I have 120Mb, I was paying 24.99 for the first 6 months and 36.99 for the following months..

Regards

maryown wrote: »
    hi,
    my UPC broadband contract is going to be finished in 6 weeks. Any ideas what number to call and what to say to get best deal for broadband only? I have 120Mb, I was paying 24.99 for the first 6 months and 36.99 for the following months..

Regards

Just ring them and ask to be put thru to cancelation team!

BEB wrote: »
    Just ring them and ask to be put thru to cancelation team!

tell them you want to cancel due to the price, you cant afford it blah blah.. they will offer you a deal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

hi,

Regards

From those figures, one has a very good price.

• Advertisement

36.99 is the regular price for broadband, not a great price! a normal price i would say...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is no broadban only option, you ahve to get a phone, so your price will be 40E.

Dont worry about signing 12 month contracts with them, they change the prie much more frequently than that so it is never really 12 months ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 maryown

Thanks for replies. Yes it is with the phone, however I don't use the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

antodeco wrote: »
    Mine going up by €11 a month. My bill is now meant to be €130 odd a month (€1500 a year)! Thankfully on a very subsidised offer. If that goes, I'll be off to Sky!
    Care to elaborate on the "very" part ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for replies. Yes it is with the phone, however I don't use the phone.

I don't use it either, don't even have one but I get charged for it . :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

I don't use it either, don't even have one but I get charged for it . :(
    If I remember correctly, not so long ago with UPC, it was cheaper to avail of BB & Phone that just BB alone. Their obvious thinking was that if people got the phone, someone in the house would use it. And as you say, nowadays, its a variety of BB & phone only: no other options exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 4oyo

Hey Guys,
    I'm on contract with UPC for 12months, I moved house 3 months ago and they don't offer any UPC where I live and the price to cancel was greater then letting my package run down, it worked out at €200 to cancel or €205 to just let the contract run down. So I have been paying for a service I do not have from UPC. With all of these price changes I am hearing about, I have not received an email about anything like this,although I do not live at the same address where they would send the letter and my online account shows no changes. I am keen to cancel this still having over €180 to pay for nothing. Has anyone got any advice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

4oyo wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    I'm on contract with UPC for 12months, I moved house 3 months ago and they don't offer any UPC where I live and the price to cancel was greater then letting my package run down, it worked out at €200 to cancel or €205 to just let the contract run down. So I have been paying for a service I do not have from UPC. With all of these price changes I am hearing about, I have not received an email about anything like this,although I do not live at the same address where they would send the letter and my online account shows no changes. I am keen to cancel this still having over €180 to pay for nothing. Has anyone got any advice ?

Ring them on Monday morning and ask to be put through to cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They're no longer giving 12 month loyalty discounts - just 6 monthly ones so when the time comes for you to try to renew/negotiate they'll renew your existing discounts which will expire after 6 months though you'll be locked into a new 12 month contract with the 'promise' that they'll 'look at your account at that stage' but no solid guarantee.

It looks as if they're hell bent on getting everyone to switch to Horizon & will offer a decent deal for 6 months on that, but the net result is you'll be paying more no matter what you do.

I'll be downgrading to one of the new broadband & phone bundles (€40 or €45) & ditching their tv offering.

I'll cancel it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Can anyone clarify something for me? My bill is negotiated down to around 60 something for the horizon max package. Even though they state that the price will not be affected (other than the 5er they're adding on) will these previously negotiated deals be affected? Should we ring up just to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

4oyo wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Ring them first thing Monday ,they have changed the terms of your contract so you have the right to cancel it outright,state this in the call so they know you are aware of this clause in their T&C's Beware though as they will probably put you through to their loyalty department to try to tie you in for another twelve months but that is no use to you so insist on them cancelling it at no further cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

brainiac wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify something for me? My bill is negotiated down to around 60 something for the horizon max package. Even though they state that the price will not be affected (other than the 5er they're adding on) will these previously negotiated deals be affected? Should we ring up just to be safe?

It will add on €5. So it will affect your contract. Ring them up and see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

This 60mb Limited Broadband + Phone package? Anyone know what the usage limit actually is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Another bloody increase!

Thinking of moving to Sky. Only thing that has kept me with UPC is their broadband is really good for gaming.

Anyone have any experience of their broadband in Dublin 15 area? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

Corholio wrote: »
    This 60mb Limited Broadband + Phone package? Anyone know what the usage limit actually is?

30GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Another bloody increase!

Thinking of moving to Sky. Only thing that has kept me with UPC is their broadband is really good for gaming.

Anyone have any experience of their broadband in Dublin 15 area? Cheers.

Same boat ,sad to say nobody can touch UPC for broadband speed,although i have found it isn't half as good since i got that bloody Horizon box in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'll be downgrading to one of the new broadband & phone bundles (€40 or €45) & ditching their tv offering.
    BEB wrote: »
    36.99 is the regular price for broadband, not a great price! a normal price i would say...

I got them down to €36 for basic TV, landline and 120Mb broadband during the last round of changes, which I was pretty pleased with. I kept referring them to the Eircom TV/broadband bundles for comparison, so after 3 attempts, they eventually beat Eircom.

The UPC bb is good, but the quoted speeds verge on misselling. If you're running wireless and not wired for most purposes, you won't be getting anything like the 120 Mb speed. I wouldn't be sure that an upgrade to 200Mb would make much difference for a wireless user.

RainyDay wrote: »
    I got them down to €36 for basic TV, landline and 120Mb broadband during the last round of changes, which I was pretty pleased with. I kept referring them to the Eircom TV/broadband bundles for comparison, so after 3 attempts, they eventually beat Eircom.

The UPC bb is good, but the quoted speeds verge on misselling. If you're running wireless and not wired for most purposes, you won't be getting anything like the 120 Mb speed. I wouldn't be sure that an upgrade to 200Mb would make much difference for a wireless user.

True, I got them down to €34 for TV landline 150 and 120mb.. And thats all its worth with all the issues and stalling the box has..

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mrs. Doyle

hi,

Regards

Loyalty Dept. are at 061-272190. Pays to haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Still can't get onto their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Found that last evening also.

Just got onto it now. Maybe parts of the site is overloaded since the announcement of their price changes.

There is a new web page and lay out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

chases0102 wrote: »
    Would love to cancel them...does anyone know of a strong, reliable and non-contract Broadband alternative?
    No.

Unless you live in a few specific areas your options are re-sold eircom copper.

And the speed is distance limited if you are more than a Frisbee throw from the nearest exchange / cabinet.

New line is 12 month contract and if you go fibre then it's 18 month contract.

Reliable wireless needs an antenna so install costs and/or contract.
    3G / 4G / wireless box are for when all else fails or your BB needs are very limited.

http://irelandoffline.org/map/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Do I have to have a dish? Will they install this for me? Will they do the whole set-up start to finish? (I presume they will, for a price, but will this bankrupt me?)

I have no interest in BB or phones, I'm only looking for the equivalent to my current UPC set-up (Horizon).
    Had you interest in BB then another option would be to look at Eircom / Magnet? who have some TV over their BB offerings. But you'd have to weigh that against Saorview/FreeSat/UPC Analog.

In some parts of the country there are local options. For example Dungarvin have cablesurf and if you live near the Border / overlook the Irish Sea FreeView may be an option too ( hint - do your neighbours have really big TV aerials ?)

Now back to SKY. If you live in an apartment or don't have a view of the sky to the south then it's pretty much Do Not Pass Go.

Check for SKY bargains, in the past this meant signing up to the highest package for free install and then cancelling to standard package after a month.

If you cancel SKY after 11 months ( one months notice) you keep the equipment. This means you get a good few Free To Air channels. It also means you can't record or see and recordings not on your current subscription. You can also sign up for one a single month later, in the past this would have been for Christmas movies but these days most people have already seen them.

After a year you can also hook up a freesat box or other satellite receiver to the SKY cables. This will get you back some HD channels and the ability to record. Or used to haggle for a lower price from SKY.

But regardless make a list of what channels/programs are absolutely essential, desirable or whatever and see how far you get on Saorview / FreeSat. Then you only need to pay for what's missing - work out who gives you the rest and how much they charge for them. With BB you have options like online subscritions to Neflix & co.

For specific sports/teams you might even be able to get a non-SKY solution.

Yes it's handy having UPC or SKY because it's just one remote control. But unless you watch a lot of the non-free programs you are paying about €20 a month for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭ooter

quick question lads if anyone can help,i have broadband which i'm happy with but wanted to cancel my tv service in 2013 (basic digital package in 1 room) because i got a satellite dish installed but UPC told me they charge extra for just broadband on its own, the price they quoted me for broadband on its own wasn't much less than what they were offering me to stick with the tv service for another 12 months so i decided to stay with it.
    that 12 months is up now and i definitely want to get rid of the tv this time, would it work out cheaper for me to sign up for the broadband and home phone and just not use the phone rather than pay the extra charge for just broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ooter wrote: »
    quick question lads if anyone can help,i have broadband which i'm happy with but wanted to cancel my tv service in 2013 (basic digital package in 1 room) because i got a satellite dish installed but UPC told me they charge extra for just broadband on its own, the price they quoted me for broadband on its own wasn't much less than what they were offering me to stick with the tv service for another 12 months so i decided to stay with it.
    that 12 months is up now and i definitely want to get rid of the tv this time, would it work out cheaper for me to sign up for the broadband and home phone and just not use the phone rather than pay the extra charge for just broadband?

It used to work out more expensive for bb as a standalone product. But now upc insist of you having a landline with bb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement