Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Just a heads up to anyone that got offered the sky sports/sky movies offer that my discount for the free month wasn't applied again this month after contacting support last month.
    So I paid for March, and should get April and May free but I've been charged for all 3 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Well if they have changed there contract today.

they you have the right to break that contract because they have not notified you of this fact.

Happened to me with 3 network...

All I can say is thank you to the guy that told me about this or I would still be with them,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Caliden wrote: »
    Just a heads up to anyone that got offered the sky sports/sky movies offer that my discount for the free month wasn't applied again this month after contacting support last month.
    So I paid for March, and should get April and May free but I've been charged for all 3 so far.

It's not free, when you goto cancel the day before your two FREE months are up they will want to charge you 10euro downgrade fee.

Got my latest bill. They charged me for sky sports. Got onto them. They said it was a billing thing as something with dates etc and I'll get the next two months free!! I said then why was I paying for sky sports when it should of been free.

They hadn't an answer, said there was nothing they could do...I really can't understand this! Got bounced over to customer loyalty and got the same story...

I said I won't be paying it as it wasn't agreed, going to go to bank Monday and cancel my direct debit and ask them to bill me correctly!

Anyone else any experience or am I wasting my time cancelling direct debit.

Caliden wrote: »

Just wondering can you ask bank to do a direct debit charge back for money your owed? That's terrible they have charged you 3 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

This might be a bit off topic , but just wondered if anyone had gotten any deals on the sports packages recently

Currently there's a great deal for new customers whereby they can get Sky sports HD and Setanta pack for e16 for 6 mths

However for existing customers the equivalent deal works out at e47 per month

The problem with the new customer offer is that it ties you into a 18mth deal. I currently have a few existing offers on my account and dont want to extend by 18mths even if loyalty team of the e16 deal above. just wondering if anyone has successfully negotiated a sports package deal with the retention/loyalty dept recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

I currently have half price offer of €33pm on tv phone and broadband without sports package which I got thanks to this thread. Rang them up just there to enquire bout sports package and after no joy with sales team got onto customer loyalty dept. told them was getting setanta for €1 per month from sky which have at other address and €9.99 after 6months(lie !!) but he was having none of it as said that am availing of half price offer on ac and they cudnt place any further discounts on a/c so be paying full price on setanta (€16) or else setanta and sky sports for (€42 combined)

If you have availed of previous discounts it's highly unlikely that they will offer you any further discounts once they look at your account. I even mentioned moving to sky as result of this but as I'm mid contract would have to pay €200 disconnection fee.

Was worth a try though

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I didn't bother ringing up during the last increase, as I was mid way through my contract, and will be a 'free agent' in September, i'll try get a discount from UPC and if they play hard ball they can suck a bag of d1cks, i'll just cut the cord.

The Horizon box is a complete disaster, when i spoke to a UPC rep, she stated that "Only about 20% of customers have a problem with the box"... 20% of a ~ million customers is 200k... and they are the only ones who actually complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

20%! That's outrageously high! I heard rumblings of it being bad and hence declined the upgrade when they offered, despite their older system not being up to scratch. Will be steering clear until they get something better. They're cheapening out on the hardware of these too much, I think, and paying for it in the long run with pissed customers and time spent with service calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,271 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Monotype wrote: »
    20%! That's outrageously high! I heard rumblings of it being bad and hence declined the upgrade when they offered, despite their older system not being up to scratch. Will be steering clear until they get something better. They're cheapening out on the hardware of these too much, I think, and paying for it in the long run with pissed customers and time spent with service calls.

You've got to think that only a company with the 'Customer Service' track record of UPC could not consider a 20% rate of reported customer dissatisfaction in a new product/technology/service an unmitigated disaster.
    I'm a horizon customer, I don't complain because the system doesn't have a fault, it's operating as intended, it's simply badly designed. I'm not going to add to my frustration by engaging with their customer service, I'll simply see out my contract and decline any further TV service from them, not long to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

flynner13 wrote: »
    I didn't bother ringing up during the last increase, as I was mid way through my contract, and will be a 'free agent' in September, i'll try get a discount from UPC and if they play hard ball they can suck a bag of d1cks, i'll just cut the cord.

The Horizon box is a complete disaster, when i spoke to a UPC rep, she stated that "Only about 20% of customers have a problem with the box"... 20% of a ~ million customers is 200k... and they are the only ones who actually complain.

I did that and took advantage of the Eircom Friends & family efibre deal that was advertised here previously. UPC rang me back about 2 weeks later trying to get me to come back, asking would I not take a discount? I said no but I'm sure if I wanted to I could have got a good discount.

*I know Eircom isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me it's fine. The internet connection stays up all the time. With UPC I'd have to switch the modem off every 5 minutes or so. Too far from the box apparently. I'm happy enough with Eircom, for the moment, mind you the basic tv package is missing a couple of channels that UPC have.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

I called up yesterday to see if they would offer anything if I said I was leaving. Got put through to cancellations and was asked why I wanted to leave. Basically said it was too expensive I'm paying nearly €78. Got offered the same bundle for €37 a month for 12 months. Happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

CFC007 wrote: »
    I called up yesterday to see if they would offer anything if I said I was leaving. Got put through to cancellations and was asked why I wanted to leave. Basically said it was too expensive I'm paying nearly €78. Got offered the same bundle for €37 a month for 12 months. Happy with that!

Lucky paying 80 euro a month for horizon with the football season coming back wouldn't mind having Setanta, contract is up in December do you think I'd have any luck getting a deal? Fed up with new customers getting everything. US loyal customer getting taken to the cleaners!

If you're in the middle of a contract, they mightn't do anything for you. However, some people have said that UPC don't always mark when the contracts end - at least they don't always check it unless you go to the last line of cancelling (where you send them a letter). You might get something if you ring up and push for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Joo0 wrote: »
    Lucky paying 80 euro a month for horizon with the football season coming back wouldn't mind having Setanta, contract is up in December do you think I'd have any luck getting a deal? Fed up with new customers getting everything. US loyal customer getting taken to the cleaners!

Give them a bell I have Horizon complete HD , 200mb, BB home phone and multi room HD all for €67pm. Make sure you speak to the loyalty dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Give them a bell I have Horizon complete HD , 200mb, BB home phone and multi room HD all for €67pm.

That's very good. Regret opting into a 12 month contract at 80 euro a pop each month. Would love to get a good deal for Skysports/setanta but just couldn't afford a bill of over 130 each month. Setanta so my priority. Any tips for getting a good deal over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

That's very good. Regret opting into a 12 month contract at 80 euro a pop each month. Would love to get a good deal for Skysports/setanta but just couldn't afford a bill of over 130 each month. Setanta so my priority. Any tips for getting a good deal over the phone?

Tell them your leaving .

I forgot to mention in my post that also includes the Setanta pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I had to pay 200 euros as early cancellation fees because they can not provide broadband services at my new address...so bad!! :( Plus 1 month extra charges as they need 30 days for cancellation. Would be cheaper if I would have continued their services without even using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kalimera

€42 a month for 200MB broadband, horizon hd, Multiroom & any time phone worldwide. Took 2 weeks of threatening to leave and many calls. No success until very last call! That was in March this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Got them down to €36 per month for 100MB broadband, anytime phone worldwide (which includes USA apparently) and basic digital TV package - that will be about half what I'm currently paying. Had to get past initial customer services guy, and reject first offer from loyalty of €55 per month by comparing against Eircom eVision bundles - definitely worth a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Presume then that nobobdy that currently is on a UPC deal/promotion has managed to get a deal on sky sports/setanta?

They don't offer deals on those directly as they have to pay licensing fees (although they do seem to give 2 months free and stuff like that now and again). You can get deals on the other portion of your bill though. If you've already got the best discount they can give on the rest, it's doubtful you'll do much better. No harm in asking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Contract is up early October, planning to call and cancel in a couple of weeks. Can't justify the €80 a mth. Good to hear they are making offers to retain you. Hope that's the case with me else Eircom will be getting a shout.

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Presume then that nobobdy that currently is on a UPC deal/promotion has managed to get a deal on sky sports/setanta?

I have the Setanta pack as part of my deal which is Horizon complete HD, 200mb BB, home phone, and multi room HD for €67pm. I enquired about Sky Sports HD I was offered this for €37 pm and they are giving the Setanta pack for €5 pm. I didn't take them up on it as I already have the Setanta pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thaiwolf

Been a loyal upc customer for a few years and already have some loyalty discounts on account , i like many people cancelled the skysports at start of world cup and was looking to get it reinstated at start of footy season.

rang up and spoke to loyalty department and was offered sky sports package for 29 euro a month with no signing of new contract.

Below is my current deal

Horizon Select Extra TV - Over 80 channels
    120Mb Broadband unlimited usage
    Home Phone with Freetime World
    Sky sports

Total per month is 83 euro.

Did not even attempt to get better offer as quite happy with that , but suspect you may even be able to get better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

flynner13 wrote: »

Yes, it is terrible. The interface is slow and clunky to use. To scroll through channels you can't go a page at a time so you press the down button a hundred times. We kept having problems with our broadband where we hadn't had any before when we had a separate modem. Eventually after many hours of my time wasted they gave me back a separate modem but it still has problems whereas our current non-horizon broadband was rock solid for years.

I really did intend to cancel Horizon the last time while keeping the broadband. They cut me a half price offer where basically I could have not bothered to use the TV aspect of the service. But as its so cheap, we've ended up putting up with it even though it is god awful.

Yes, it is terrible. The interface is slow and clunky to use. To scroll through channels you can't go a page at a time so you press the down button a hundred times. We kept having problems with our broadband where we hadn't had any before when we had a separate modem. Eventually after many hours of my time wasted they gave me back a separate modem but it still has problems whereas our current non-horizon broadband was rock solid for years.

I really did intend to cancel Horizon the last time while keeping the broadband. They cut me a half price offer where basically I could have not bothered to use the TV aspect of the service. But as its so cheap, we've ended up putting up with it even though it is god awful.

A lot of the issues you have describe have been fixed in the new firmware I'm currently trailing it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

So just rang up after seeing my bill jump up to 96 euro from 72 this time last year. Out of contract hence increase.

This is what I have normal fibre pack not horizon want to keep away from that
    Digital max package
    1 recording box in main room
    2 more normal boxes in other rooms
    120mb broadand
    Home phone with The Complete Bundle Anytime World bundle

First I was offered 82.00 per month for same package said go way my neighbour has all sky movies and sports for less than that a month.

Asked was I happy with UPC said yes apart from price off he went again comes back with offer of €56.00 per month if I want an extra recording box would be €3.00 per month extra.

So do I accept this or will I get more off or more for my money ?
    Would there be any hope getting decent price on sky sports would be wife of the year if I did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

deisediva wrote: »
    So just rang up after seeing my bill jump up to 96 euro from 72 this time last year. Out of contract hence increase.

This is what I have normal fibre pack not horizon want to keep away from that
    Digital max package
    1 recording box in main room
    2 more normal boxes in other rooms
    120mb broadand
    Home phone with The Complete Bundle Anytime World bundle

First I was offered 82.00 per month for same package said go way my neighbour has all sky movies and sports for less than that a month.

Asked was I happy with UPC said yes apart from price off he went again comes back with offer of €56.00 per month if I want an extra recording box would be €3.00 per month extra.

So do I accept this or will I get more off or more for my money ?
    Would there be any hope getting decent price on sky sports would be wife of the year if I did :)

I have the same as you except for the 2 boxes in other rooms.
    And I'm on €36 per month for the year.
    I also got sports and movies free for 2 months when I renewed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement