Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭ooter

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    It used to work out more expensive for bb as a standalone product. But now upc insist of you having a landline with bb.

cheers, and do you know if that works out cheaper than broadband and basic digital, i presume it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

hi ive been thinking aobut getting UPC as my internet with 3 is so slow in my new house. do you get faster speeds with wired connection as compared to wireless? i was thinking of the 200mb package but realistically is there any big difference between that and the 120mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I allegedly have UPC 200mb but I rarely get more than 30. Eircom's tv phone and 85mb bb is cheaper than the UPC basic bundle so if upc don't make me an offer I can't refuse I'm off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

dorito92 wrote: »
    hi ive been thinking aobut getting UPC as my internet with 3 is so slow in my new house. do you get faster speeds with wired connection as compared to wireless? i was thinking of the 200mb package but realistically is there any big difference between that and the 120mb?

A wired connection will always give a better speed than wireless. Tbh in terms of speed I am on 120mb, I was on 60 before and notice little difference. Again this is down to what you use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ooter wrote: »
    cheers, and do you know if that works out cheaper than broadband and basic digital, i presume it is?

I'd imagine it would, but I don't have tv with them and am not too sure of the bundles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

athtrasna wrote: »
    I allegedly have UPC 200mb but I rarely get more than 30. Eircom's tv phone and 85mb bb is cheaper than the UPC basic bundle so if upc don't make me an offer I can't refuse I'm off

Is that via wireless or a wired connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

glic83 wrote: »
    Is that via wireless or a wired connection?

Wirelessv via Horizon Box, checked with several devices but only when a single device is connected

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi

What's the email address to cancel your subscription again?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wirelessv via Horizon Box, checked with several devices but only when a single device is connected

Getting more than 50mbits on 2.4Ghz wifi and 120 on 5Ghz wifi is realistically impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd get it fixed first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

dorito92 wrote: »

That depends what you are doing and how you are connecting to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭ooter

Hi

What's the email address to cancel your subscription again?

I think it's resolutionteam@upc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

watching movies, youtube videos and general web searches

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Hi

Current deal:

120MB broadband (poor range but have extra router which rectifies)
    Digital select TV DVR (their middle package I believe) no sports/movies
    some phone package maybe 100min calls (not used - no handset)

Currently paying 52.30 per mth on deal negotiated last yr

What sort of deal are people getting for this type of package or what should i aim for.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi

Current deal:

120MB broadband (poor range but have extra router which rectifies)
    Digital select TV DVR (their middle package I believe) no sports/movies
    some phone package maybe 100min calls (not used - no handset)
    Currently paying 52.30 per mth on deal negotiated last yr

What sort of deal are people getting for this type of package or what should i aim for.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Im on the same deal i pay 34 a month.and they want 9.99 extra

massy086 wrote: »
    Im on the same deal i pay 34 a month.and they want 9.99 extra

34euro really? Is that a deal that you negotiated last year as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

34euro really? Is that a deal that you negotiated last year as well?
    yes it is 33.32 a month

UPC BUNDLES
    Description Quantity Dates Amount
    The Essential Bundle Anywhere 150 1 28 Dec - 27 Jan 2015 € 73.50
    Total € 73.50
    SAVINGS AND DISCOUNTS
    Description Quantity Dates Amount
    Self-serve Discount 1 27 Dec 2014 € -3.51
    Home Phone offer - 12 month discount 1 28 Dec - 27 Jan 2015 € -7.69
    TV offer - 5 euro off for 12 months 1 28 Dec - 27 Jan 2015 € -5.01
    Broadband offer - 5 euro off for 12 months 1 28 Dec - 27 Jan 2015 € -5.01
    Total € -21.22
    This month total € 52.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

L1011 wrote: »
    Getting more than 50mbits on 2.4Ghz wifi and 120 on 5Ghz wifi is realistically impossible.

Which is why much of UPC's pushing of higher broadband speeds is really mis-selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

I'm paying 80 a month for just Tv and internet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

RainyDay wrote: »
    Which is why much of UPC's pushing of higher broadband speeds is really mis-selling.

Not really. They deliver the fast speed and on a wired connection, you can make use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Has anyone not got an increase ?

My email only said phone charges were going up. (numbers I don't call anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

OU812 wrote: »
    Has anyone not got an increase ?

My email only said phone charges were going up. (numbers I don't call anyway).

Yep. Im getting hit with an extra 10EUR per month from 1st Feb onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Yep. Im getting hit with an extra 10EUR per month from 1st Feb onwards.

What I mean is I've not got an increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

if your direct debit is the 19th of every month that is the only time they can take the money out in February and not the first ?

and to be honest just haggle u will get what u want

can peopel here just show what there on and how much a month they pay so people will have an idea what to look for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

I had 120mb and phone. Originally 47.50 and had it down to just under 26. Rang to cancel as discounts are up next month. Offered 22.50 for 6 months and 45 for other 6months. Cancelled anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RainyDay wrote: »

You (should - I do) get the advertised speed when using a cable; that's all that matters.

Its realistically pointless for paying for more than the 60 or 120mbit package if you don't intend to use wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

JDxtra wrote: »
    Not really. They deliver the fast speed and on a wired connection, you can make use of it.

Except the vast majority of people using UPC would use it wireless ie between 10 to 50Mb, Im sure UPC bank on this, can you imagine if everyone on UPC started to use wired connections to the modem how congested it would get quickly. I only know of one person who uses the modem wired and avails of the 120Mb connection, I would have in the past but now 30Mb is more than fast enough for me and the vast majority of people out there, so their yearly speed increases only make a difference to a small percentage of their customer base, but its a good excuse to keep upping the price and shouting about how much faster they are compared to the competition.

I think UPC is going the same way Intel did years ago with their constant speed increases, when AMD came in with cheaper Budget CPUs and took a big market share from Intel, people just wanted an affordable PC/Laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

My last bill was 60 quid, that's being reduced to 45 as I'll now get free landline and mobile calls all the time rather than just at weekends, and 240 internet. That's not bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Automan wrote: »
    Except the vast majority of people using UPC would use it wireless ie between 10 to 50Mb, Im sure UPC bank on this, can you imagine if everyone on UPC started to use wired connections to the modem how congested it would get quickly. I only know of one person who uses the modem wired and avails of the 120Mb connection, I would have in the past but now 30Mb is more than fast enough for me and the vast majority of people out there, so their yearly speed increases only make a difference to a small percentage of their customer base, but its a good excuse to keep upping the price.

I think UPC is going the same way Intel did years ago with their constant speed increases, when AMD came in with cheaper slower CPUs and made a fortune from people who did not care how fast the processors were, just wanted an affordable PC/Laptop.

Must agree with what you say about speed.
    Unless you are using the Internet fir business one does not require over 50 M.

I believe that IPS's would be better off providing us with a constant speed.
    Have SamKnows Box fitted to my line and to see the speed variation on in congested lines is beggars belief

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement