Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bored.1e

I rang UPC to cancel my Horizon package. I was told i will pay 200 for cancelling my subscription. I told them i didn't receive any email or letter from them. But they insist they did. My question is what will i do if i cancel and they charge me €200.? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Bored.1e wrote: »
    I rang UPC to cancel my Horizon package. I was told i will pay 200 for cancelling my subscription. I told them i didn't receive any email or letter from them. But they insist they did. My question is what will i do if i cancel and they charge me €200.? Thanks

I'd say don't let it get to the stage where they charge you, ring up and argue your corner sooner rather than later. Search the forum here for the loyalty department number. Ring that and you'll get either the best deal from them maybe allowed to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭madscone

Got the folks bill reduced by 50% yesterday plus 20% off sports pack, on top of reducing my own bill by 140 a year which is the guts of €500 quid in savings between the two of us, cheers op and everyone for the advice n tips, very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

I rang in February and agreed a discount of 4 months half price. Noticed that the 2 bills since then only applied a discount of about 25%. Rang today and was told there had been a billing error. Was put through to the loyalty debt., by this stage I'm ready to leave UPC for real as this is the last straw, but was told that I'm now in a 12 month contract, waiting for a manager to give me a call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Warning, the Horizon box is probably the worst piece of kit I've used for both tv and internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 R.P.McMurphy

Warning, the Horizon box is probably the worst piece of kit I've used for both tv and internet.

Its awful, the interface is sh1te. Its actually harder to see whats on now and next I find. Plus the volume on the remote doesn't work unless its a Samsung tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Exce11ent

Yes - the Horizon Box is a nightmare - it's Not intuitive or user-friendly in the least.

Tried to operate the Radio yet? 10 out of 10 if you can find it, and actually turn on a radio station.

Delete a programme in one key-depression? Not a chance.

Scroll down the channels page by page as opposed to the more time-consuming channel by channel?

Toggle between channels?

See what % of your disc/drive is free for more recordings?

Please advise how to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Its awful, the interface is sh1te. Its actually harder to see whats on now and next I find. Plus the volume on the remote doesn't work unless its a Samsung tv.
    You need the code. It works perfectly, and I have got it going on two Phillips' TVs, a Sony, a Samsung, and a Beko.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

You need the code. It works perfectly, and I have got it going on two Phillips' TVs, a Sony, a Samsung, and a Beko.

I've tried codes on both a Bush and Sony TV and neither have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Doesn't really even work with a Samsung TV tbh, It will increase it by 1, then stop for like 10 seconds then maybe go another few

• Advertisement

That is very strange lads: are they TVs made in the last five years or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

onform wrote: »
    I rang in February and agreed a discount of 4 months half price. Noticed that the 2 bills since then only applied a discount of about 25%. Rang today and was told there had been a billing error. Was put through to the loyalty debt., by this stage I'm ready to leave UPC for real as this is the last straw, but was told that I'm now in a 12 month contract, waiting for a manager to give me a call back.[/0quote]

No call back so I rang today. No record of my conversation with customer loyalty from Tuesday, was fuming with this. After I repeated my request to cancel, was offered 50% off for 12 months, but had to sign up to a triple play bundle to get this (we didn't have phone previously) so against my better judgement I accepted, €48 for phone, bb and TV with multiroom too good to pass up. Definitely leaving them next year though :-)

Right, was paying ~€86pm for Horizon TV, 200Mb, Anytime world, with a Multiroom box.
    Best offered was €73.36 staying.

I have (technically) until tomorrow to cancel the plan without penalty- so can I do better?

I am doing great at haggling, but nothing seemed to shift? Would love some help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

They offered to increase my broadband from 25 to 50 and reduce the bill by 1.50e.

Agreed to that then they said that package would be 7e dearer but I'd get a "free" modem 7x12+ mths could cost a fortune.

Current package is 64.50 digital+ select extra 25Mb broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I have been following this for a while and the general consensus is that the loyalty department 1st offer is a slight reduction followed by (including the term "I will have to talk to my manager " statement) then an offer of 50% off for 12 months.
    Offers seem to exclude sky sports and movies reductions. I have heard of the 50% off with 2 months free and also 15% off sports and movies.

I referenced this thread in my negotiation and I think if you are reasonable and appear educated on the offers available the upc team are reasonable.

One word if warning is that the wifi range on the horizon box is pants.

My 2 cents for anyone that's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Right, was paying ~€86pm for Horizon TV, 200Mb, Anytime world, with a Multiroom box.
    Best offered was €73.36 staying.

I have (technically) until tomorrow to cancel the plan without penalty- so can I do better?

I am doing great at haggling, but nothing seemed to shift? Would love some help and advice.

They've tightened up on their generosity. If you've been with them only a short while (less than 3 years), that might be the best that you can do. You might get a better deal if you push though and you've been a customer for longer. That said, multiroom and anytime are extra luxuries, so even if you got a halfprice package, it wouldn't be below around €55 - and they are reluctant to offer half-price anymore - you could always try next year if you feel that you can't squeeze anything else out, as they seem more willing to move in stepping stones.

Thanks for that.

I've been with UPC/NTL/Cablelink since 1990. Going to be blunt tomorrow and play really hard ball with the Sky offers.

Tenner off is shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Okay, in that case, I would push harder. Just push on the price, not the service. You're already on their top packages, so they can't make offers there. Don't take offers that reduce the service (unless it's especially good and you can do without). It's more than €10 off though, because if you were to order those now, you'd be talking about €100 at full price - were you already getting a small discount last year?

I pushed harder and got the package at half price, essentially.
    I dealt with the lovely member of the Loyalty Team.

200Mb Broadband, Horizon Max, Anytime World, Multiroom - €51 per month. Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I got my new deal on the 6th of March, new router, 2 free months and then a reduction of a tenner amonth after that.

No sign of the router after 2 weeks, posted on the talk to upc part here, had router within 24 hours.

Still No sign of the two free months. raised a query on the online form, got the answer that the free months are april and May,not march and april as in the phone call.

Not sure which to believe but I have both in writing so I think I will just pay the March - April bill and hope for the best come May!

So, just keep a note of what was agreed and make sure you get what was promised. Obviously it was probably the busiest time in months for UPC and this is to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Just a heads up. Got a couple of bills from UPC, deal I got wasnt applied and was being charged full price. Unreal how they cant do a credit to account on next bill. So got 2 months free sky sports and films for the hassle.

But be aware, agent said to ring up a day before two months on films and sports are up to cancel or ill be charged full price, she then stated that ill be charged a 10euro downgrade fee!!!!!! I said how is it free then for the two months.....

Check your bills!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Of the 3 houses in the family with UPC none of them have correct bills. My own is all over the place.

Seriously its been like this for years. How can their billing be so bad, for so long.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd always assumed it was legacy NTL / Chorus issues, but I've had problems on my completely new since UPC account also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

My bill was wrong too. Rang up upc got put through to loyalty dept who said they have fixed the mistakes. You really have to watch upc like hawks, you really do not know what they could be doing. I certainly do not trust them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a thread on here where someone's being charged a tiny percentage of what they're meant to be - I think its incompetence not malice in general.

That's one case of undercharging in so many posts about overcharging. They aren't honouring all the discount agreed over the phone for me anyway. A few of the houses in wider family have UPC. All have problems with their bills. Consider the poor performance of the Horizon box, I regret signing up for the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

On 30mb broadband and digital value TV for €63 atm. Rang up and after a few phone calls, got offer the 120mb horizon package for €53 per month with no upgrade fees etc. Has anyone else gotten much better recently, or do ye reckon that's the best I'll do?

Make sure the Broadband is unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

beauf wrote: »
    Make sure the Broadband is unlimited.

I have never received any letters informing me of any of these changes. I received an email that went to my junk box. It was after the 28 day period before I even saw it. Did others receive their notice by email or by snail mail. Wondering where I would stand regarding these increase as, I have received no notice of these changes as far as I am concerned.

• Advertisement

On 30mb broadband and digital value TV for €63 atm. Rang up and after a few phone calls, got offer the 120mb horizon package for €53 per month with no upgrade fees etc. Has anyone else gotten much better recently, or do ye reckon that's the best I'll do?
    Nope.

Top broadband speed, multiroom with top TV, unlimited calls. Just over forty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement