Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

I am paying 24.50 for same package:-)
    Same case.........200 MB broadband and 150 calls cor 26 EUR !

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

Avengers wrote: »
    I am paying 22 euro for 120mb BB + 150 anytime mins on a 12 month half price offer :)

Loyalty team offered me 2 packages 1: 120BB+300 international minutes+off peak landline calls for 22.50, 2nd was with 400 int minutes + anytime landline calls for 24.50.i went for latter because i was already paying €25 for broadband only. Now i will be talking with them in jan next year to get half price again:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mirec

just got from them 50mb broadband only with phone for 29e for 12 months. they were really not nice when I mentioned boards webpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I ended up calling the 061 # twice. On the first occasion I got my current €47 bill (would be increased to €54) reduced to €45.50. The next day I again asked for the email address to cancel, and she reluctantly offered me the same deal with 2 months free.

My package is 30mb bb and basic TV, no phone. I'm happy enough so I went with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

mad m wrote: »
    Let's say you get your deal from UPC and agree that's it's for next 12 months, are you locked in or is there a 30 day cooling off period before it's no going back?

You have 7 business days cooling off period. After that you are locked into a 12 month contract with a 200 euro fine to leave early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thronegames

Loyalty team offered me 2 packages 1: 120BB+300 international minutes+off peak landline calls for 22.50, 2nd was with 400 int minutes + anytime landline calls for 24.50.i went for latter because i was already paying €25 for broadband only. Now i will be talking with them in jan next year to get half price again:-)

Can I ask what you mean by "Loyalty team" and how I contact them? I've been with them for years and was on the phone to them recently looking for a cheaper deal but they just bamboozled me!

I'm paying 78 / mth for basic TV, 120mb broadband and Anytime World phone. ALL I want is the basics and no frills. I know I'm paying too much.

Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Has anyone cancelled their phone and BB and signed back up again as a new customer? Is there any waiting period or can i sign back up the following day. Also when signing back up would it be hard to get my current number back?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

I'm in the process of doing that now, I'll let you know how I get on. Got a mail about setting a date for equipment collection but no date to indicate when my service is actually going to stop. Shouldn't be surprised really. No idea about the phone number situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can I ask what you mean by "Loyalty team" and how I contact them? I've been with them for years and was on the phone to them recently looking for a cheaper deal but they just bamboozled me!

I'm paying 78 / mth for basic TV, 120mb broadband and Anytime World phone. ALL I want is the basics and no frills. I know I'm paying too much.

Any advice?

The loyalty team is the cancellation department. After you ring up and threaten to cancel they will put you through to the cancellation/loyalty department where you will get some sort of offer. You can take what they offer or stand your ground until you get a good offer or go ahead with the cancellation if the offer is crap. I rang 2 days ago and was offered a fiver off so i said no give me the cancellation email details, i then rang back 2 hours later and talked to another person who gave me half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Has anyone cancelled their phone and BB and signed back up again as a new customer? Is there any waiting period or can i sign back up the following day. Also when signing back up would it be hard to get my current number back?
    AFAIK once you cancel the account the number is gone (unless you arrange a port to another provider). It's meant to be 90 days before you can sign up as a new customer, but if you got someone else at your address to sign up for an account in their name you could do it within a couple of days but you'd lose your number.

Why don't you get back onto loyalty/cancellations & just ask them to save you both the hassle of cancelling & signing up again could they at all see their way to accommodate you. You coulld try contacting loyalty using the three different ways: 1908, 061272190 & 1890940140. A call to them using those numbers could end up being answered in Cork or Limerick or possibly somewhere else. I have an idea that they have been using extra staff over the last month or so due to the large volume of calls, so if you get talking to some of the 'originals' who have more discretionary powers you may well get what you're looking for in the end.

If you ring each at least twice & get speaking to different agents I'd be surprised if you didn't get one that would see their way to giving you what you want. Vary your approach on each call - you could be lucky & push the right buttons with the right agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Also if you stand your ground and go through with the cancellation be aware that yet another person with even more power to give you the best possible offer will call you after a couple days. This is their last-ditch effort to keep you from cancelling and the very best offer you're likely to get.

This didn't happen to me when I sent in my cancellation mail - only other contact since was from the equipment collection team.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭yomamma

I signed up for upc over the phone 5 months ago. 50 euro a month offer for 6 months. Next month my bill will be going to standard 80 euro a month.

My question is. Can I cancel or Am I on a 12 month contract with them? I never signed any contract or forms. It was all done over the phone and cant remember if I signed up for 12 months.

Cant afford 80 euro a month. Any tips on getting amount reduced? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,146 ✭✭✭✭L1011

yomamma wrote: »
    I signed up for upc over the phone 5 months ago. 50 euro a month offer for 6 months. Next month my bill will be going to standard 80 euro a month.

My question is. Can I cancel or Am I on a 12 month contract with them? I never signed any contract or forms. It was all done over the phone and cant remember if I signed up for 12 months.

Unless you get a price increase letter and use that to break the deal, you're in a 12 month contract. Why did you sign up to something you couldn't afford?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Yes you are under contract. You would have been made aware at the time of joining that you would be under contract and I'm sure you were also aware that the joining price would be only for a short period.

You have a few options, a) pay the full price and continue with your service, b) pay the 200 euro cancellation charge, c) Ask for a recording of the call where you signed up to the deal. If you weren't told that you would be on a contract then you might be able to get out of it. Or if you weren't made aware that the price you were quoted was an introductory offer.

or if you have received notification that the prices for your services are going up, (not the increase due to introductory offer being over) then you are out of contract and can leave free of charge.

Companies like UPC that deal over the phone work with verbal contracts.

All of UPC's contracts are 12 month periods. You can't just sign up for a good offer and then leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

Heres how i got on yesterday. I'm currently paying 65.99 going up to 73.00 or 70.00 really with the self service sign up.

I rang got through after 25 mins and said i'm not happy with the rise and was looking at evision(never going to change to them) and was wondering how i cancel because i was moving to them. The lady asked how much they cost and i said about €50 a month but i was going to ring them to verify.

I was then transferred to loyalty and aas offered €56 a month for the year.

I wonder.could i do better? but honestly i'm happy with that price.

I presume you have a phone in your bundle? If so you can give 30 days notice of contract cancellation on the grounds that you don't agree to the upcoming out of bundle telephone rate changes (even if you have Anytime World the rate for calls to directory enquiries is increasing & you don't have to agree to this). It's up to them if they want to make you an offer to remain as a customer & up to you if you want to accept that offer but if you do you wilol be agreeing to a new 12 month contract.

baldbear wrote: »
    Heres how i got on yesterday. I'm currently paying 65.99 going up to 73.00 or 70.00 really with the self service sign up.

I rang got through after 25 mins and said i'm not happy with the rise and was looking at evision(never going to change to them) and was wondering how i cancel because i was moving to them. The lady asked how much they cost and i said about €50 a month but i was going to ring them to verify.

I was then transferred to loyalty and aas offered €56 a month for the year.

I wonder.could i do better? but honestly i'm happy with that price.
    Realistically that's as good as you're going to get unless you were prepared to change to horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 robbi32

i got 120 bb and phone for €36 and two free months. down from €56 so was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

My bills are usually 84 euro with the Setanta/BT package and everything else. Got two months free and the bills reduced to 74 euro, happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

newkie wrote: »
    Also if you stand your ground and go through with the cancellation be aware that yet another person with even more power to give you the best possible offer will call you after a couple days. This is their last-ditch effort to keep you from cancelling and the very best offer you're likely to get.

Did not happen to me either. A call to confirm my cancellation and the termination date. Even though I have 3 weeks service left I am plagued with emails texts and calls to get the equipment back even though I still need it for the remainder of the contract.

Just need to do a good deal with sky for the tv now.

Yes I don't understand that, I didn't even get a call confirming it - just mails/texts asking for my equipment (ooer missus). No idea when my service is finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PeterBr

It's a complete joke. I phoned last week about the price increase letter after reading this thread with interest. When I tried to negotiate a better deal, a couple of UPC reps basically told me to get lost and gave me the cancellations details. Another rep offered me two month free. I said I still wasn't happy and I went ahead and cancelled my package. I rang a few days later and spoke to a really chirpy woman who gave me the 50% discount deal for tv and broadband ie €35/month for 12 months. Initially when I quoted the deals I read about on boards.ie, one rep said "really??!" and sounded incredulous. Initially, the last rep I spoke to said the 50% discount deal is only for new customers but when I said that I had heard about many existing customers getting such deals she put me on hold and a minute later she said "sure, I can give you that deal!"

Basically, it's a game that you have to play along to. Be persistent and call back until you get the offer you want but always be polite with the reps and put a positive spin on everything.

The funny thing is when I subsequently called back after I had emailed to cancel my package, the rep said that my cancellation email would now be void as I had signed up for a new deal. However, during the week UPC rang me to see if they could offer me a better deal as they did not want to lose me as a client. I explained that I had signed up to the 12 month €35/month package and the rep apologised and said he had called me inadvertently and that the 12 discount deal was listed on my account. Perhaps, I could have negotiated an even better deal with him if I said that I was going to cancel but I'm really happy with €35 for 12 months tv and internet.

This thread has highlighted UPC's inconsistencies in dealing with customers. The moral of the story is to play along to the game with UPC.

Thanks OP, you have helped lots of us get better deals! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Here goes,

I've the following package :
    30mb broadband
    Home phone (no calls included but that's our fault)
    Digital max tv and 1 extra tv point

We're currently paying €85 pm (I think) ex phone calls and I'm just wondering what offers people have been receiving for a similiar package?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,146 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'd get Horizon Max, Anytime World call package, 200mbit BB and the extra point for that price more or less now (86, rising a bit to 88.50). Even taking in to account that there's areas that can't get 200, you're on such a legacy package that you should be able to either get a hell of a lot more for the same money, or still something better for less.

I'm on that (Horizon Complete) but going to something cheaper as 88.50/month makes it the dearest bill in the house by a huge margin. Going to see what's available on threatening to go to eVision on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Here goes,

I've the following package :
    30mb broadband
    Home phone (no calls included but that's our fault)
    Digital max tv and 1 extra tv point

We're currently paying €85 pm (I think) ex phone calls and I'm just wondering what offers people have been receiving for a similiar package?

This was pretty much my package(no phone) and I got a letter saying my bill was going up to e90!

I now have Horizon Complete,Anytime phone,and a HD recorder for the second point for 77 a month with the first 2 months free.
    So for a year this works out at 64 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Check the terms and conditions - but I'm pretty sure you can downgrade at any time for a 10 euro fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Two weeks after cancelling got a phone call from loyalty. Half price for a year with all channels except sports and movies for 48 euro a month. Happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

duffman13 wrote: »
    Two weeks after cancelling got a phone call from loyalty. Half price for a year with all channels except sports and movies for 48 euro a month. Happy enough

That's TV & Broadband yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭schadenfreude8

the letter said i was to be upgraded from 50mb ro 120mb on the first of march...but...
    i am still getting same results on speed test.... i have restarted router and still nothing

any ideas how to get th upgrade to kick in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement