Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

bk wrote: »
    Afraid not. The message is badly worded but basically new members OR people with less then 50 posts can't post links.

This is to protect against spammers and worse!

Thanks bk, only a few more posts to go til I'm accepted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

leftfooter wrote: »
    I've tried that but this is the message I get...

'You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.'

Maybe a Mod can fix this as I'm obviously not a new user.

I think after 50 posts you are then able to post links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ooops didnt see mod post scroll up lang ball ( Me)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Looks like the ESB are happy with their trial phase. Hopefully they can push their rollout into smaller towns in the near future and break Eircom's stranglehold on these areas..

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/38958-iif14/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

lockup35 wrote: »
    Looks like the ESB are happy with their trial phase. Hopefully they can push their rollout into smaller towns in the near future and break Eircom's stranglehold on these areas..

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/38958-iif14/
    They didn't waste any time in Navan. I expect they were anxious to test the civils and how quickly and accurately they could set up the trialists and no doubt even surprised themselves.
    Once the JV/Merger is approved at the end of the month, it should be full steam ahead for the first phase of the project(barring any objections as happened prior to the efibre roll-out). The potential here is massive and way beyond our wildest dreams.
    The eircom efibre project just whetted our collective appetites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

How will this be rolled out in the towns, will they just stick a cable as far as everyone's door / meter box and then it's up the the consumer to sign up? Or will they market it and install on demand?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ukoda wrote: »
    How will this be rolled out in the towns, will they just stick a cable as far as everyone's door / meter box and then it's up the the consumer to sign up? Or will they market it and install on demand?

We don't know for a fact, however how it is normally done is that the fiber is run down every target street, but the cable only run to the last few meters into the house when it is ordered and installed.

They "might" run the fiber into every home as far as the electricity meter but then leave it unconnected until ordered, including drilling into the house.

Depends on the trade off of costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

ESB Networks, said, “We will be using our electricity infrastructure in such a way that we have made it possible to flow a fibre wire through the ducts in housing estates.

“This means the last leg of the connection will be right into the home.

“We have just concluded trials in Cavan. We were packing up to leave when a guy ran out of his house and told us that he had just downloaded an entire movie in 15 seconds.

“It will soon be the case that rural towns in Ireland will start outstripping the capital in terms of speeds.”

So is this only for housing estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Is there any reason that they wouldn't offer the full 1Gbps speed straight away? I think it's too much for the regular user. Do they even have the capacity to offer 1Gbps to every user?

I guess they will probably offer 3 tiers of 200down/100up - 500down/250up and then 1Gbps down/up for the extreme user or is that even possible with FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If every house in every estate in the country had FTTH it would be an incredibly impressive feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Manc Red wrote: »
    Is there any reason that they wouldn't offer the full 1Gbps speed straight away? I think it's too much for the regular user. Do they even have the capacity to offer 1Gbps to every user?

I guess they will probably offer 3 tiers of 200down/100up - 500down/250up and then 1Gbps down/up for the extreme user or is that even possible with FTTH?
    It's possible and quite likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

The ESB/Vodafone map tells us nothing except that those in main exchange areas who already have access to fibre already will now have increased speeds available. It tells us nothing about fibre access outside major conurbations only the press release about the trial in Cavan where existing ducting in housing estates was used to run the cable to houses. Anyone have a link to statements re fibre in townlands adjacent to major towns. How far will they run the cable from the main exchanges? Eircom seem to only offer fible up to 1-2Km. We are 5Km from the nearest exchnge, 2Km from the nearest VDSL cabinet in an area of about 20-30 houses. Max speeds here are 3857135311.png
    I would be happy if someone could give me 20Mbps & I would by very pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I feel your pain. See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057265461

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How far will they run the cable from the main exchanges? Eircom seem to only offer fible up to 1-2Km.

People really need to stop thinking in terms of Exchanges, phone lines and range limited DSL.

Fibre is completely different. The ESB won't go anywhere near Eircom exchanges or VDSL cabs. They will be running the fibre along their high and medium voltage electric pylons to the local power substation. You can think of the local substation as the "exchange". From there fibre will be run along the poles and ducts to each home.

Unlike with DSL, there is no practical limit on the distance fibre can run. Obviously it costs more to run a longer run of fiber then a short run, but there is no limitation to the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The ESB/Vodafone map tells us nothing except that those in main exchange areas who already have access to fibre already will now have increased speeds available. It tells us nothing about fibre access outside major conurbations only the press release about the trial in Cavan where existing ducting in housing estates was used to run the cable to houses. Anyone have a link to statements re fibre in townlands adjacent to major towns. How far will they run the cable from the main exchanges? Eircom seem to only offer fible up to 1-2Km. We are 5Km from the nearest exchnge, 2Km from the nearest VDSL cabinet in an area of about 20-30 houses. Max speeds here are 3857135311.png

To reiterate... (only 2 pages back)
    ED E wrote: »
    ESB fibre is totally independent of the POTS network. Forget exchanges. Forget your current connection. Fibre will be multiplexed at ESB substations and ran along their plant out to premises. If you're near enough to one of these you could get it, if not its less likely.

Whatever you do don't trust anything those reps say.

murphaph wrote: »
    It's possible and quite likely.

Well sort of, they can if it is contented.

The ESB seem to be using GPON which gives you 2.5Gb/s for 32 customers. So that would only be 78mb/s uncontented per customer. Actually less then what you would get from VDSL running at 100mb/s!

Of course rarely are all 32 neighbours using the full speed at the same time, so much higher speeds will be possible with contention and in time the fibre can be upgraded (new lasers, etc.) to allow for higher speeds. But this shows why they might only start with selling 200mb/s or so at the start.

Eircom have opted for 150 symmetric. TBH Id be very happy with that for 2-3 years. Thats 18 or more simultaneous Netflix HD streams. Few households need more than that.

It would be interesting to find out from their build crews how many ways theyre splicing it. If they do one core for 15 or 20 say then theres loads of room. The glass isnt expensive really and its not super thick either so they could feasibly run 4 or 5 feeds to the entrance to an estate and put 20 homes or less on each.

The nerd in me would still love direct fibre. Unlimited upgradeability.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

ESB fibre is totally independent of the POTS network. Forget exchanges. Forget your current connection. Fibre will be multiplexed at ESB substations and ran along their plant out to premises. If you're near enough to one of these you could get it, if not its less likely.

Whatever you do don't trust anything those reps say.

Thanks for the clarification but my question again is how far are ESB/Vodafone willing to string the connections from their sub-stations? If distance isn't an issue then it must be down to population density for them to make it worth while for them to 'hook' up an area (it would then be fair to conclude that the service wouldn't go too much further than the town limits in any area). I seem to remember reading somewhere on Boards that an option was using wireless to enhance the reach of their service into the broader rural community, is this correct?

Nobody knows there. As bk has posted before BT in the uk will connect FTTH on request but you pay per meter, so if you really want it you can have it.

Realistically if you're a ribbon development you'll be waiting longer than small towns/large villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Nobody knows there. As bk has posted before BT in the uk will connect FTTH on request but you pay per meter, so if you really want it you can have it.

Realistically if you're a ribbon development you'll be waiting longer than small towns/large villages.

Damn it, around 10Km from the substation, that'll be fairly pricey then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Damn it, around 10Km from the exchange, that'll be fairly pricey then.

Exchange? This is ESB, they will not use the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Exchange? This is ESB, they will not use the exchange

Meant to say substation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

How would it work in an housing estate would they connect to the ESB boxes (the big green yokes) that people thought where the cabinet s
    For the fiber through eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Meant to say substation

That's an electrical substation, we have no idea how this network will be built

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Anyone know what is needed to be done to take the fiber connection from the High voltage lines to the Fiber that enters the home? I'm asking cause I have a High power pile on traveling 300m from my house but im 5km to nearest substation. I know I can dream on if I hope to get connected to the pile on wire but a boy can dream :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

corkoian wrote: »
    Anyone know what is needed to be done to take the fiber connection from the High voltage lines to the Fiber that enters the home? I'm asking cause I have a High power pile on traveling 300m from my house but im 5km to nearest substation. I know I can dream on if I hope to get connected to the pile on wire but a boy can dream :rolleyes:

Pile on? Is that some sort of group sex scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

For ribbon development they could do a single shared trunk along a route that's tapped at each home. That's quite possible with fibre nowadays. Similar topology to UPC just with fibre to the end user.

You'd possibly just have small aggregation / splitter nodes every so often and individual fibre to houses from there.

My guess is that they'll try to match the power line layout as closely as possible.

They've a lot of ducts, poles and spacious underground vaults compared to eircom or UPC

This may prompt speed increases from UPC and eircom too.

UPC can deepen their fibre footprint and easily get up to 500mbits+

Eircom can rollout pair bonding, D.FAST and then FTTH too.

Topology for power distribution here in Ireland is something like this:

Transmission Lines (High Voltage) these are Eirgrid lines usually at 110kV, 220kV and one or two lines at 400kV. These are the power network backbone.

Distribution (Medium Voltage). The HV lines are stepped down to 38kV at substations and those lines feed smaller substations that drop it down to 20kV and 10kV (old network being replaced) underground cables and overhead lines. These feed local substations which connect power to end users at 230V single phase and 400V three phase.

In rural areas you may be connected to a 10kV or 20kV overhead line that is tapped with a pole mounted transformer to get 230V/400V.

Some distribution in Dublin and Cork cities is 100kV underground and some industrial customers are connected at 20kV, 38kV or even to 110 kV in huge cases. I think Irish Steel may have even been connected at the 220kV network directly!

I would assume they'll put aggregation nodes in the HV to MV substations and that they'll have smaller nodes at the distribution substations stepping down to normal mains voltage. These could serve several streets in a city, a housing estate etc.

In rural areas the network steps down with small transformers on poles so I guess they'll run fibres along side the 20kV wires and so some kind do some kind of pole mounted node along side the pole mounted transformers. So maybe serving a small cluster of homes or even just one home. The economics of this would be dictated by how much the node costs and how much work is involved. I could see it incurring a fee much like rural power hook ups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Advertisement

yuloni wrote: »

Thats what GPON is about. You have a single connection at the OLT and that fibre runs out beside premises and users are patched on at an angle like a slipway off a motorway (at least how I understand it) so theres no kit there and then each tap off the main ends in an ONT (fibre modem) in the customers house. This would allow a range of a few km from the OLT with no powered muxs or splitters.

Im not sure how miniaturized they can be, but the power draw wont be high. Presumably they could be placed in pole mounted cabs easy enough and feed a few spurs.

Advertisement