Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Ordin73 wrote: »
    Ok bk I will try and answer all your questions and relate the process it as it was done :)

Last year the majority of the ground work for this was done, and an electrical conduit was left between the manhole and my ESB meter box see first pics 2 & 3.

The Fibre cable was then fed thru this and the grey "TE" outside box was placed on the wall as in pic 1 in the second batch I posted .
    Next a hole was drilled through wall and the white faceplate was put on the inside wall of the house. If you see pic 2 in the second batch you will notice a green adapter head, this has a long wire that is passed out to the "TE" box.
    Apparently this is the difficult bit as the outside fibre cable is spliced together with the indoor cable in the grey "TE" box. I didn't see what this involved so I cant tell you guys any more :)
    After that it was a simple thing to put the Alcatel ONT unit on the wall and connect it to the faceplate then run a ethernet cable to the Huawei router..plug all in and GO!
    Now this whole process did take awhile..there were a few stop/starts for various reasons. For example the day before health and safety decided they needed to turn the power off to the house before ANYTHING was touched and they had to wait for the ESB tech to arrive. He did arrive but then the powers that be decided turning the power off was unnecessary. Then the ONT unit hadn't arrived so they had to call back a little later..Then the tec who had to check the installation and stability of the connection was delayed until the following day. All just little teething problems as everyone involved was learning as they were doing lol.
    As for the router it just seems to be a just standard router and the setup could be attached to what ever you want, but from what Ive read the Huawei is quite good.
    Finally there was no mention of other services, not yet at least. The whole focus seems to be on the Fibre

we can be sure in the background they are drumming up plans for 3 in 1 styled services, They must have a rock solid stable platform before pushing on into media and voice i guess.

I cant get over the 1 ms ping that's data-center level throughput your getting pissing myself with envy .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ok bk I will try and answer all your questions and relate the process it as it was done :)

Thanks Ordin73, all very informative.

Just one last question if you don't mind.

So did they dig a new trench from the path outside to the power meter or did they just push the fibre through an existing duct?
    Ozziejoe wrote: »
    I would suggest that you all take 15 minutes to read about TWDM-PON(XG-PON2) that will be available in the next two years. this will deliver 10Gbps speed across the same fibre infrastructure that ESB and eircom are trialing at the moment. The beauty of this next generation PON is that you have 4 x 10Gig wavelengths on the one fibre – that means that in theory esb, eircom, UPC and another operator can deliver FTTH to the same home on the same fibre – we were researching this in OZ before I left – I tell you this is the future.

Haha, yeah, up till now we normally just talk about FTTH like it is one technology and that it is the be all and the end all of broadband.

In reality there are lots of different ways and different standards for FTTH, which deliver different speeds, different costs etc.

Now that we are starting to actually get into FTTH, we will probably start discussing the technologies being used and the trade offs. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Ozziejoe, TWDM-PON looks very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

bk wrote: »
    So did they dig a new trench from the path outside to the power meter or did they just push the fibre through an existing duct?
    They pushed the conduit through an existing duct, my guess it was the same one that connects my house ESB Meter to the main ESB trunking. This was all accessed thru the manhole shown in the photos..
    Hope this helps :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Christ Alan, you'd want to get the 'oul Leaving Cert finished first!

*Not that I can talk...

Haha well of you've FTTH I doubt ye need the Leaving Cert ;)

I live in an estate in Carlow and Carlow is on the list so I can only hope...

A quick question for you, were you on Vodafone FTTC before you got FTTH like do you think they'd allow Vodafone FTTC customers to join the FTTH rollout without facing penalties for leaving?

As for a triple play service, in Germany and a few more countries Vodafone offer TV through Sky so you'd have your Vodafone FTTH with Sky TV provided through that.

Honestly, I could see that happening here and I hope it does.

Sky are the best with TV and I feel use of an FTTH network would benefit their services greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They pushed the conduit through an existing duct, my guess it was the same one that connects my house ESB Meter to the main ESB trunking. This was all accessed thru the manhole shown in the photos..
    Hope this helps :)

Yes, very good to know.

It makes the job much easier, faster and less costly if they don't have to dig up peoples drive ways to lay new duct.

A quick question for you, were you on Vodafone FTTC before you got FTTH like do you think they'd allow Vodafone FTTC customers to join the FTTH rollout without facing penalties for leaving?

I doubt you would be allowed to break your FTTC contract early. More to do with Eircom and the charges they level on Vodafone, which Vodafone would have to make back first.
    As for a triple play service, in Germany and a few more countries Vodafone offer TV through Sky so you'd have your Vodafone FTTH with Sky TV provided through that.

Sky are the best with TV and I feel use of an FTTH network would benefit their services greatly.

I hope not, Sky already dominate the Irish pay TV market too much. A new provider would be welcome competition in the pay TV market.

On the other hand the ESB has said that other operators will be able to operate as wholesale providers on their network, so Sky themselves might decide to directly offer broadband and TV services as they do on the Eircom ADSL network.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Ok guys first off I swear that I wasn't just teasing you with these speed tests!!
    The problem was they are just so inconsistent!!
    On my laptop the speeds wired and wirelessly were just not right so I waited and let the engineers confirm what I thought. Anyway here is what they got!!
    324726.jpeg

The following tests were all the same and I was told that this is the average they are expecting as it rolls out.

324727.jpeg

Fuuuuuaaaarrrrkkk.

Thank you for sharing all the info ordin, we appreciate it a lot.

just one more thing.
    If its not too much of a hassle for you could you post some speed/ping tests results from Uk, Germany and France servers. would love to see them cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I live in an estate in Carlow and Carlow is on the list so I can only hope...

Will be a while before Carlow gets it , the ESB fibre network doesn't go near Carlow at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Villain wrote: »
    Will be a while before Carlow gets it , the ESB fibre network doesn't go near Carlow at present.
    Relatively speaking getting fibre "to" Carlow is the easy bit...it's getting it "around" Carlow (and everywhere else) that is hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Can anyone point me to the list of locations? Went back a few pages but no sign, and I CBA looking through the entire thread because unlike Ordin my internet is slow and has usage limits

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Can anyone point me to the list of locations? Went back a few pages but no sign, and I CBA looking through the entire thread because unlike Ordin my internet is slow and has usage limits

Here you go:

http://www.vodafone.com/content/index/media/vodafone-group-releases/2014/esb-vodafone-ireland.html

And yes Carlow is on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Here is the locations details.

Vodafone-ESB-Network-Map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

cunnijo wrote: »

Link not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

bk wrote: »

Damn, so close to Castlebar and Westport, and used to live in Sligo, but as for where I am now, still no dice...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Have about 6 months left in the contract with eircom and my town is on the map any idea when the rool out starts nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

naughto wrote: »
    Have about 6 months left in the contract with eircom and my town is on the map any idea when the rool out starts nationwide
    They have to get over the EU mergers hurdle first. That decision is due shortly after the 31st of this month.
    Letterkenny is at the end of the northern spur of the ESB fibre ring. This terminates at Lurgybrack near the 110Kv end point, some 3km or so from the town centre (as the crow flies). The fibre terminated at that location some years ago. The 38Kv lines run overhead to the local MV/LV sub-stations where it branches off to take the 230v power from local transformers, underground to mini-pillars, and from there to your home meter box. The fibre will follow the same route as the power line and I expect that it will be spliced off along the way as needed. It should make for a relatively quick rollout. There should be few difficulties blowing it through the existing ducting right to your white box.
    My contract ends in March next but I'm in no hurry to move... yet!!!

Random question, is thepiratebay blocked on Vodafone/ESB FTTH?

Just curious to know considering it is on their FTTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

even if it is just stick proxy after it in google to get access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Random question, is thepiratebay blocked on Vodafone/ESB FTTH?

Just curious to know considering it is on their FTTC.

It's the law that they have to block it, not that it's a very good block, Google gives the answers on how to get around it, the tracker isn't blocked

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This could be handy when higher speeds come into play: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2790843/download-film-just-three-seconds-samsung-develops-wifi-five-times-faster-existing-systems.html

I recently got my broadband with VF upgraded from 50Mb/s to 90 & while talking to them,I asked about the FTTH plans.I was told that I would be contacted when the scheme is up & running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

zerks wrote: »
    That looks more like something that would replace Bluetooth...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

cunnijo wrote: »

Hi folks,

Had a Vodafone rep call to the house at 7pm the other night trying to sell landline & broadband bundles (I'm with a local wireless provider) and he said this VF/ESB fibre product would be available in our area within the next 9 months. Our local exchange, Ballymacelligott, is between Tralee & Killarney but not listed on the above coverage/location map. Does this mean his information is inaccurate, or is this technology entirely different and not limited to Eircoms network structure of exchanges?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The door to door crews are scam artists. They dont work for Vodafone directly and will tell you literally ANYTHING to get a commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Had a Vodafone rep call to the house at 7pm the other night trying to sell landline & broadband bundles (I'm with a local wireless provider) and he said this VF/ESB fibre product would be available in our area within the next 9 months. Our local exchange, Ballymacelligott, is between Tralee & Killarney but not listed on the above coverage/location map. Does this mean his information is inaccurate, or is this technology entirely different and not limited to Eircoms network structure of exchanges?

Thanks

The rep could be telling you a load of baloney but yes, the esb/vf venture is entirely independent of the eircom phone network. The fibre cable will follow the route of your esb cable to get into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

ED E wrote: »
    The door to door crews are scam artists. They dont work for Vodafone directly and will tell you literally ANYTHING to get a commission.

I was thinking that, alot of it seemed to be typical sales guff. He had a big bright red VF jacket on but when I asked for the business card it showed he didn't work directly for them. Thanks.

Yup What Ed says they'd sell they're grannies for a subscription. They are sales people and will say what ever it takes to get you on board. Kinda like irish Bankers, Water companies and car sales men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Don't ever buy anything on your doorstep, no matter how good it seems

• Advertisement

Some lovely carpet out in the Van love .........

Advertisement