Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

Tried to post the image but been told I can't cos I'm a new user (member for 7 years!)

Anyway....

1 sec ping time, 670mb down & 646mb Up

Delighted with my Speeds in Cavan :)

These speeds were achieved with hardwired CAT 5 & Gigabit ethernet port.

A quick question....Is it possible to get a gigabit wireless router & have a gigabit wireless card in my laptop to achieve these speeds wirelessly? Or is the wireless technology not quite there yet?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

that is some incredible speed.!!!!
    well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Crazy stuff, post the URL with a space at the end if you wish and someone here will insert it for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

leftfooter wrote: »
    Tried to post the image but been told I can't cos I'm a new user (member for 7 years!)

Anyway....

A quick question....Is it possible to get a gigabit wireless router & have a gigabit wireless card in my laptop to achieve these speeds wirelessly? Or is the wireless technology not quite there yet?

Thanks.

When you reach 50 posts you'll be allowed to posts links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Elbow slips off table , punches self inadvertently in face. I want my little tubular glass pipe . :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Had a Vodafone rep call to the house at 7pm the other night trying to sell landline & broadband bundles (I'm with a local wireless provider) and he said this VF/ESB fibre product would be available in our area within the next 9 months. Our local exchange, Ballymacelligott, is between Tralee & Killarney but not listed on the above coverage/location map. Does this mean his information is inaccurate, or is this technology entirely different and not limited to Eircoms network structure of exchanges?

Thanks
    seamu$; They seem to only give the main exchange locations for ESB/VF fibre map & I like you live a few Km beyond Tralee (just beyond the Blennerville area where they have 70Mb, I'm on .5Mb!). I can't find anywhere docs to state how far from the main exchanges this delivery method will work. I'm about 4.5/5Km from the main exchange in Clounalour. I'd figure you may be something similar in Ballymac. If it's similar to existing delivery methods as to distance from the main exchange I'm afraid it's gonna be the same ol' story - too far/non standard delivery. I'm concerned that availability/reach will end up the same as existing wired services i.e. they can supply you superfast fibre only if fibre is already available in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

seamu$; They seem to only give the main exchange locations for ESB/VF fibre map & I like you live a few Km beyond Tralee (just beyond the Blennerville area where they have 70Mb, I'm on .5Mb!). I can't find anywhere docs to state how far from the main exchanges this delivery method will work. I'm about 4.5/5Km from the main exchange in Clounalour. I'd figure you may be something similar in Ballymac. If it's similar to existing delivery methods as to distance from the main exchange I'm afraid it's gonna be the same ol' story - too far/non standard delivery. I'm concerned that availability/reach will end up the same as existing wired services i.e. they can supply you superfast fibre only if fibre is already available in the area.

well its a totally different service to the current exchanges and they can bring this service to any house that has electricity running into it, its wheather they choose to or not is the question, but it has nothing to do with whats existing in the area in terms of phone line broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ESB fibre is totally independent of the POTS network. Forget exchanges. Forget your current connection. Fibre will be multiplexed at ESB substations and ran along their plant out to premises. If you're near enough to one of these you could get it, if not its less likely.

Whatever you do don't trust anything those reps say.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

How far will they take a line up to a house?

I would imagine most other people live in estates and only need a few meters of cabling. We live a good distance off the main road (150M) however there are overhead cables which come up along side our lane.

Manc Red wrote: »
    How far will they take a line up to a house?

I would imagine most other people live in estates and only need a few meters of cabling. We live a good distance off the main road (150M) however there are overhead cables which come up along side our lane.

The line goes directly in to the house either strung on the overhead cable or pushed into the meter box via the existing underground electricity ducts and then a hole drilled into the house and a modem mounted in the house somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

ukoda wrote: »
    The line goes directly in to the house either strung on the overhead cable or pushed into the meter box via the existing underground electricity ducts and then a hole drilled into the house and a modem mounted in the house somewhere

Does the fibre optic cable connect to the router or does it terminate at a socket inside the house?

Does the fibre optic cable connect to the router or does it terminate at a socket inside the house?

go back a few pages in the thread to have a look at the set up

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92544927&postcount=795

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

ukoda wrote: »

I wonder how far they will push the cable tho. Our house would need more fibre cable than the conventional house in an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyway....

Thanks.

there was me think 50/20 was fast.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

You coukd try an ac wireless router and ac wireless card in laptop. I'm not sure but I dint think you would even max out your throughput with them.

Laying some Ethernet cable might be your only option to get the most from your speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

BArra wrote: »
    You coukd try an ac wireless router and ac wireless card in laptop. I'm not sure but I dint think you would even max out your throughput with them.

Laying some Ethernet cable might be your only option to get the most from your speed

Agreed personally i would never use wifi due to its security risks . EOM is not an option either as most units tap out at 500MBs - never thought I would have to type that EVER in Ireland. Go Go gadget spider man mode and crawling around roof space to do some cat 5 drops .

They fit an OLT, its a fibre modem basically. Then a router connects to that with ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ED E wrote: »
    They fit an OLT, its a fibre modem basically. Then a router connects to that with ethernet.

I really hope they fit an ONT and not an OLT....otherwise, you're going to need a bigger house :) or at least an ETSI rack!

crawler wrote: »
    I really hope they fit an ONT and not an OLT....otherwise, you're going to need a bigger house :) or at least an ETSI rack!

Derp, true that. Too many acronyms ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

bk wrote: »

Hold on a minute the list has changed, Sallins was on the original with Naas and they removed it! Say it ain't so!

http://www.vodafone.com/content/index/media/vodafone-group-releases/2014/esb-vodafone-ireland.html

Edit, the omission is on the ESB page: http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pr-4074.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Seems ESB are going head-to-head with Eircom and UPC in some locations, according to that map

http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pr-4074.jsp

A few that stand out

Shannon ...... Eircom e-fibre and UPC
    Ennis .......... Eircom e-fibre
    Tramore ...... Eircom e-fibre

Most likely there are many more ... I have not checked.

I thought ESB were going to avoid competing with Eircom & UPC at least initially ..... obviously I was wrong .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Greystones. Can't wait for the trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Seems ESB are going head-to-head with Eircom and UPC in some locations, according to that map

http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pr-4074.jsp

A few that stand out

Shannon ...... Eircom e-fibre and UPC
    Ennis .......... Eircom e-fibre
    Tramore ...... Eircom e-fibre

I thought ESB were going to avoid competing with Eircom & UPC at least initially ..... obviously I was wrong .....

Cork City is listed. That's full scale urban rollout in market with heavy UPC penetration and almost universal e fibre.

Galway and Limerick cities are also listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

I've gone through the lists line by line and there is only one difference between Vodafones list and the ESB list and that was to remove Johnstown and Sallins from the first phase.

Any idea on the reasoning behind this difference and is there any point asking either company or will the call centres have no idea about this scheme?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You might possibly max it out with 802.11ac wifi router and a new card or usb dongle in your laptop.
    I'm concerned that availability/reach will end up the same as existing wired services i.e. they can supply you superfast fibre only if fibre is already available in the area.

FTTH is completely different, it basically has no limitations on distance. (For instance it is fiber that we use to connect the US to Ireland under the sea).

The type of technology that the ESB are using should be good for out to 20km's and you can extend that further with repeaters.

However that isn't to say they will do that, that length of fiber would be very costly to lay due to the amount of labour involved. But in the long term FTTH is the solution to the crappy rural broadband problems.
    crawler wrote: »

Haha, I wouldn't mind hosting one! :D

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Cork City is listed. That's full scale urban rollout in market with heavy UPC penetration and almost universal e fibre.

Galway and Limerick cities are also listed.

They said they are avoiding competition with UPC, but not Eircom. They are definitely going head to head with Eircoms VDSL/FTTC. They can't avoid it really as Eircom will be covering most of the country with eFibre anyway.

As for places like Shannon and Cork City on the list. They also said that they would choose to service areas down to the street level. So if one street has UPC but the neighbouring street doesn't, then they will service the neighbouring street. I don't know about Shannon, but I know Cork City well and there are many areas/streets in Cork that still don't have UPC broadband.

I'm sure there will be some overlap and some very lucky people will be able to choose between UPC, Eircom and the ESB FTTH. But the general principal is to avoid competition with UPC, in the initial phases anyway.

tvc15 wrote: »
    I've gone through the lists line by line and there is only one difference between Vodafones list and the ESB list and that was to remove Johnstown and Sallins from the first phase.

Any idea on the reasoning behind this difference and is there any point asking either company or will the call centres have no idea about this scheme?

Unlikely the call centres will even know about the scheme itself let alone the reason for the removal of the 2 towns

I'd say try tweet ESB's corporate Twitter account and ask, those accounts are usually managed by PR people or they have a direct line to them, and companies usually don't like unanswered tweets floating around on their accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bk wrote: »
    I'm sure there will be some overlap and some very lucky people will be able to choose between UPC, Eircom and the ESB FTTH. But the general principal is to avoid competition with UPC, in the initial phases anyway.
    They say they're going to cover Bray, which is pretty much covered by UPC, and recently upgraded too, so I wouldn't be too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Like areas like Bray and Cork City the area where I live (Naas, Kildare) is too served by UPC. However not all of the town is and will not be covered and the company seem not to want the business. So I hope The ESB will fill the gaps with hopefully another ISP apart from Vodafone, as it is supposed to be available to other telcos like Eircom, Digiweb, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

Nolars wrote: »
    Crazy stuff, post the URL with a space at the end if you wish and someone here will insert it for ya.

I've tried that but this is the message I get...

'You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.'

Maybe a Mod can fix this as I'm obviously not a new user.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've tried that but this is the message I get...

'You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.'

Maybe a Mod can fix this as I'm obviously not a new user.

Afraid not. The message is badly worded but basically new members OR people with less then 50 posts can't post links.

This is to protect against spammers and worse!

Advertisement