Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There are provably some installations that used direct buried cables. They won't have ducts or poles. That'll be a major challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

How fast would they be able to install this vs efibre? i.e. efibre needs cabinets, does this need something similar? Is it just a matter of pushing a fibre cable from one point, then joining the houses to a particular point?

I'm guessing they wouldn't need to permission from councils in the way efibre needed for their green cabinets so should this be faster to put in place?

Manc Red wrote: »
    How fast would they be able to install this vs efibre? i.e. efibre needs cabinets, does this need something similar? Is it just a matter of pushing a fibre cable from one point, then joining the houses to a particular point?

I'm guessing they wouldn't need to permission from councils in the way efibre needed for their green cabinets so should this be faster to put in place?

It's not directly comparable and this isn't done widely elsewhere in the world so I couldn't give you an exact guideline.

It's just being overlaid ontop of the ESB power network using the same physical ducts, poles etc.

Eircom actually used existing phone lines to access end users.

They may well need to install cabinets too at locations other than substations so it's hard to know really.

This has not been done by power companies in the UK, the US or any market I'm familiar with. So it's pretty innovative and I'm sure telcos around the world will be looking on in horror is it smashes their access monopoly very dramatically.

If ESB pull this off, I'm sure other power line operators elsewhere will follow suit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It's not directly comparable and this isn't done widely elsewhere in the world so I couldn't give you an exact guideline.

It's just being overlaid ontop of the ESB power network using the same physical ducts, poles etc.

Eircom actually used existing phone lines to access end users.

They may well need to install cabinets too at locations other than substations so it's hard to know really.

This has not been done by power companies in the UK, the US or any market I'm familiar with. So it's pretty innovative and I'm sure telcos around the world will be looking on in horror is it smashes their access monopoly very dramatically.

If ESB pull this off, I'm sure other power line operators elsewhere will follow suit

I thought it's Vodafone that will be laying the fibre + doing the broadband? ESB is just providing access is it not?

I thought it's Vodafone that will be laying the fibre + doing the broadband? ESB is just providing access is it not?

No, from what I gather ESB owns the infrastructure, Vodafone's doing the retail offering.

Here's a video they've put up into MV (medium voltage) distribution lines by the looks of it.

I'm guessing that's probably 72 strand fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

God, this can't come soon enough. Do we know which towns they'll be starting with? The day I leave the phone line behind forever will be a day to remember. Jack it straight into my veins, I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Its a joint venture 50/50 ownership and implementation

From reading the press release, the infrastructure is owned and operated by ESB/Vodafone and it will be available to all telecoms operators to wholesale it

we should also note that ESB have been laying fibre in new electricity connection ducts for years, so a lot of the ground work is done in some areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Have they closed the test phase in Cavan is it now a fully fledged service ??

dbit wrote: »
    Have they closed the test phase in Cavan is it now a fully fledged service ??

i doubt it, The Joint Venture still hasnt been given EU approval yet (due soon) and they have no mechanism set up on the retail side yet to sell it as a consumer product.

I'd imagine it will be next year before you can actually buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ukoda wrote: »
    i doubt it, The Joint Venture still hasnt been given EU approval yet (due soon) and they have no mechanism set up on the retail side yet to sell it as a consumer product.

I'd imagine it will be next year before you can actually buy it

Actually it's JUST been approved.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/38968-esb-and-vodafone-s-450m-fi

bealtine wrote: »

Great news! And they also mention again that other operators can resell it so a lot of companies will have access to it

So Id imagine a lot of the current providers will be offering this service too

Great news! And they also mention again that other operators can resell it so a lot of companies will have access to it

So Id imagine a lot of the current providers will be offering this service too

Well that finalizes it then Eircom will not be crushed , one thing is for sure I will never buy ftth from Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Well that finalizes it then Eircom will not be crushed , one thing is for sure I will never buy ftth from Eircom.

Eircom have the advantage of having a decent IPTV system already up and running

Mayo Yid wrote: »

Good to know , Only i do not subscribe to any TV service , Internet is my TV.

ture, but they also have the disadvantage of being eircom

ture, but they also have the disadvantage of being eircom

ROTFLCOPTER !!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd be very surprised if Vodafone don't launch their own IPTV system over both eFibre and FTTH. I believe they already do in other countries.

Sky will probably do the same too.

These IPTV systems aren't anything special, they are pretty much off the shelf solutions used by many similar telecos across the world.

I trialled a MPEG4 IPTV system on Smart Telecoms ADSL2+ network 6 years ago that worked very well. So I'm not surprised that Eircoms should work ok 6 years later and on VDSL2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually we aren't the first, most of the very widely available FTTH networks in Japan, Sweden, Norway and Denmark were built by their electricity companies.

It is interesting to note that all of these countries are in the top 10 (if not top 5) broadband connected countries in the world. That is why this entry by the ESB into the market is so exciting. I could easily see us jump into the top 20 in the next three years, perhaps even head towards the top 10!!!

What an incredible change in just 5 years.

I'm not one for holding grudges against telcos. Eircom will be forced to compete and could very easily start providing FTTH or much enhanced speeds on FTTC platforms.

It's putting it up to UPC too.

Competition between platforms is what will drive speeds up.

The main reason Ireland lagged behind on broadband in the early 00s was that eircom were the only show in town. The cable providers that predated UPC didn't really offer broadband on any scale and were too comfortable providing analogue access to UK terrestrial TV.

UPC driving the competition is what has driven eircom to efibre.. This ESB product will drive them all over to FTTH or very high speeds on copper and coax access.

The telcos provide a service and make a profit doing so. The regulators need to ensure the marketplace functions or they will sweat their assets.

There was way too much of a notion that Eircom still had a public body / state service role in the early days post privatisation. That mentality took a LONG time to change at the state level.

Competition is proving to be very good for end users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'm not one for holding grudges against telcos. Eircom will be forced to compete and could very easily start providing FTTH or much enhanced speeds on FTTC platforms.

It's putting it up to UPC too.

Competition between platforms is what will drive speeds up.

The main reason Ireland lagged behind on broadband in the early 00s was that eircom were the only show in town. The cable providers that predated UPC didn't really offer broadband on any scale and were too comfortable providing analogue access to UK terrestrial TV.

UPC driving the competition is what has driven eircom to efibre.. This ESB product will drive them all over to FTTH or very high speeds on copper and coax access.

The telcos provide a service and make a profit doing so. The regulators need to ensure the marketplace functions or they will sweat their assets.

There was way too much of a notion that Eircom still had a public body / state service role in the early days post privatisation. That mentality took a LONG time to change at the state level.

Competition is proving to be very good for end users.
    That isn't really true of Eircom. The privatisation of Eircom was its ruination. I know for a fact from a retired Eircom engineer that plenty of fibre was laid when it was a state company. He showed me access holes where fibre was lying unused for years, guys were sent for training in how to splice and join fibre cable. As soon as eircom was floated everything ground to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In the same breath JCA the field staffs union let them refuse DSL training for years and sit on their laurels in the exchanges having a cuppa while there was work to be done. A huge portion of eircoms staff until recently got in when it was a civil service job for life with great benefits and no performance management. The last of them are only retiring now and being replaced by younger personnel willing to work and heavy outsourcing. I'd wager this has a big part to play in the eircom behemoth getting moving again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

ED E wrote: »
    In the same breath JCA the field staffs union let them refuse DSL training for years and sit on their laurels in the exchanges having a cuppa while there was work to be done. A huge portion of eircoms staff until recently got in when it was a civil service job for life with great benefits and no performance management. The last of them are only retiring now and being replaced by younger personnel willing to work and heavy outsourcing. I'd wager this has a big part to play in the eircom behemoth getting moving again.

Very true. A few bob in the company helps too.

Interesting snippet of information from the ESB's submission to the DCENR on the National Broadband Plan:
    Services are not defined yet but it is envisaged that they will start at 200Mbps (D/S) / 100Mbps (U/S) and range up to 1Gbps symmetrical. These speeds will increase significantly in the short to medium term as the network is upgraded to NG-PON2.

Brilliant news. It seems the ESB are wisely thinking ahead and already planning for higher speeds on FTTH.

The technology they are currently using GPON, offers 2.5Gb/s downstream, 1.25Gb/s upstream, shared amongst 32 or 64 users. With NG-PON2, those speeds will increase to 40/10 Gb/s shared by 32 to 64 users.

NG-PON2 should be backwards compatible with GPON, in particular if the GPON network is designed with it in mind in the first place.

In other info from this submission, it seems the ESB are convinced that FTTH is the only solution for rural broadband and looks like it will be willing to put itself forward to offer FTTH in rural Ireland if subsidised by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

bk wrote: »
    Interesting snippet of information from the ESB's submission to the DCENR on the National Broadband Plan:

Brilliant news. It seems the ESB are wisely thinking ahead and already planning for higher speeds on FTTH.

The technology they are currently using GPON, offers 2.5GB/s downstream, 1.25GB/s upstream, shared amongst 32 or 64 users. With NG-PON2, those speeds will increase to 40/10 GB/s shared by 32 to 64 users.

NG-PON2 should be backwards compatible with GPON, in particular if the GPON network is designed with it in mind in the first place.

In other info from this submission, it seems the ESB are convinced that FTTH is the only solution for rural broadband and looks like it will be willing to put itself forward to offer FTTH in rural Ireland if subsidised by the government.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/D2786222-4075-428C-83FE-95967A370E9B/0/SubmissionstoCFIforpublication22ndOctober2014FINAL.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'd be very surprised if Vodafone don't launch their own IPTV system over both eFibre and FTTH. I believe they already do in other countries.

Sky will probably do the same too.

These IPTV systems aren't anything special, they are pretty much off the shelf solutions used by many similar telecos across the world.

I trialled a MPEG4 IPTV system on Smart Telecoms ADSL2+ network 6 years ago that worked very well. So I'm not surprised that Eircoms should work ok 6 years later and on VDSL2

In Germany and New Zealand too (and other countries aswell) BSkyB actually have a partnership with Vodafone whereby their TV service is provided over Vodafone's network and can also be bundled with their broadband service!

Be great if that happened here as no other service really has a pick on Sky in terms of content!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The technology they are currently using GPON, offers 2.5GB/s downstream, 1.25GB/s upstream, shared amongst 32 or 64 users. With NG-PON2, those speeds will increase to 40/10 GB/s shared by 32 to 64 users.

Is that meant to be a capital B for bytes. If so that's awesome. 40GBps split 32/64 ways is just insane. That's either 10 or 5 Gbps dedicated each.

Advertisement