Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Ordin73 wrote: »
    At the moment I have still have my Eircom fibre Broadband AND the new Esb/Vodafone Fibre as advised by the installers. The main reason for this is the service is still in its early stages and the connection "may" be inconsistent as testing and maintenance continues.

The installation was very efficient, the conduit was previously installed and they just had to feed the connecting cable thru to the ESB meter box. Then a outside box was installed. A single hole was drilled into the house, the cable passed in, and then fitted to a simple white wall plate. This is then connected to the "Alcatel Lucent" ie the black box in the photograph. I was told that this is where the light is converted to data and in-turn this connects to the router.
    The router used is a white Huawei HG659.
    I haven't done any proper speed tests as yet but when I can I will let you know all the results :)
    Jaysus we're feckin dyin here..... Speedtest, speedtest, speedtest..... It looks like a really neat installation. I spent months eyeing the vdsl cabinet thinking I'd never get it. I have it 10 months now but I feel the 1 year better BB itch coming on:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

Woah! You're so so lucky!

So exciting even seeing the setup you have!

What's it costing ye may I ask?

Time to move myself and the gf to Cavan haha.

LOL the whole thing is free for a year...just had to agree to participate in surveys, one a month apparently. :cool: Fair enough I recon.
    Though I am getting phone calls already, checking do I fit a certain demographic and would I be willing to attend a focus groups.
    I AM surprised that more people haven't already signed up for this as yet...recon that they think its too good to be true and there is some kind of catch to it..I've asked alot of questions and so far I've found none..appart from the surveys that is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Time to move myself and the gf to Cavan haha.

Christ Alan, you'd want to get the 'oul Leaving Cert finished first!

*Not that I can talk...

LOL the whole thing is free for a year...just had to agree to participate in surveys, one a month apparently. :cool: Fair enough I recon.
    Though I am getting phone calls already, checking do I fit a certain demographic and would I be willing to attend a focus groups.
    I AM surprised that more people haven't already signed up for this as yet...recon that they think its too good to be true and there is some kind of catch to it..I've asked alot of questions and so far I've found none..appart from the surveys that is :rolleyes:

Gis a wired speedtest, make sure you've a gigabit card it the computer... Who'd have thought five years ago that we'd actually be talking to someone in Ireland about Gigabit BB in 2014.. I think its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Speedtest.net !!!
    jca wrote: »
    Gis a wired speedtest, make sure you've a gigabit card it the computer... Who'd have thought five years ago that we'd actually be talking to someone in Ireland about Gigabit BB in 2014.. I think its great.

Speedtest.net servers arent rated for more than 100Mb(They can do it, but not always).

Best bet would be find a 50GB disk image or something and see how fast you can pull it down xD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ED E wrote: »
    Speedtest.net servers arent rated for more than 100Mb(They can do it, but not always).

Best bet would be find a 50GB disk image or something and see how fast you can pull it down xD

A linux iso from heanet.ie would do the job perfectly.

Jaysus we're feckin dyin here..... Speedtest, speedtest, speedtest.....
    LOL I will, I will...but I'm waiting till I'm told its full functional. One of the engineers who fitted it is ment to call back and sign off on it tomorrow.

Maybe someone can tell me but they said that some laptops can only handle a limited amount..My device manager says I have Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller as my network adapter. Can this manage 1gig??
    Just so I can supply you all accurate info :D

LOL I will, I will...but I'm waiting till I'm told its full functional. One of the engineers who fitted it is ment to call back and sign off on it tomorrow.

Maybe someone can tell me but they said that some laptops can only handle a limited amount..My device manager says I have Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller as my network adapter. Can this manage 1gig??
    Just so I can supply you all accurate info :D

Yep that network card will do nicely. Have you got a connection with them yet or will you have to wait until tomorrow?

A linux iso from heanet.ie would do the job perfectly.

981 meg in less than 3 mins for me on eFibre 70/20, in the stone age (DSL) the latest ubuntu always took 40-50 Mins, imagine what it would be like on ftth..

Yep that network card will do nicely. Have you got a connection with them yet or will you have to wait until tomorrow?

Yes its up and running but I think its a limited connection :(

• Advertisement

If the fibre link has 1GB goodput you'll actually limit it with GigE as you'll only get 90-95% of the 1000Mbps most of the time....nothing to do but go and buy a 10Gb NIC! :pac::pac:

(I'm joking, really dont do this).

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

I know speedtest.magnet.ie is good for half a gig, give that a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

How certain are people that this is going to be gigabit speeds at launch? In his interview in July with Pat Kenny the ESB CEO Pat O'Doherty quoted speeds of 200 Mbit download and upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Whopper. Fitted the exact same way as eircom are doing it only with an Alcatel ONT.

Only thing thats disappointing is who theyve contracted in....

What's wrong with KN, they're fairly flying through the eircom NGAs, I've not read of many problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

How certain are people that this is going to be gigabit speeds at launch? In his interview in July with Pat Kenny the ESB CEO Pat O'Doherty quoted speeds of 200 Mbit download and upload.

Still bi directional (synchronous) 200 MB will be a first in Ireland , i was under the impression in areas that they cannot route fibre to the home (ftth) that they were going to adopt a similar approach to upc where they may set up cmts styled units to run the last stretch to the home from the transformers , As the copper core the esb send to your house is much thicker than the coax core upc use. Dont know if this is correct only i cannot see them deploying ftth in every home as that will take an absolute age to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

dbit wrote: »
    Still bi directional (synchronous) 200 MB will be a first in Ireland , i was under the impression in areas that they cannot route fibre to the home (ftth) that they were going to adopt a similar approach to upc where they may set up cmts styled units to run the last stretch to the home from the transformers , As the copper core the esb send to your house is much thicker than the coax core upc use. Dont know if this is correct only i cannot see them deploying ftth in every home as that will take an absolute age to complete.

the whole point of the venture tho is to bring actual fibre to the home, thats the name of it! bare in mind, ESB aren't starting from scratch here, they've been laying fibre for years along side their electricity cables and its just been dormant

There should be no scenario where they can't get a fibre cable directly into someones home, basically, if they can get an electricity cable in (either under or over ground) they can get the fibre along side it fairly easily.

Also its not to every home, its targeted to initially be 50 towns

ukoda wrote: »
    the whole point of the venture tho is to bring actual fibre to the home, thats the name of it! bare in mind, ESB aren't starting from scratch here, they've been laying fibre for years along side their electricity cables and its just been dormant

There should be no scenario where they can't get a fibre cable directly into someones home, basically, if they can get an electricity cable in (either under or over ground) they can get the fibre along side it fairly easily.

Also its not to every home, its targeted to initially be 50 towns

Im aware its not every home - end game is targeted for every home as per any isp , but costs and logistics of runs , disruption to roads and so ......

The figure of "8" that runs around our country - the metro backbones belongs to ESB this is am aware of.

Yes im hoping they will run ftth im just thinking this will take some amount of time to complete ..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Most speedtest servers won't go above 600mb/s trust me I have tried all of them from a 1GB port :)

In Spain and other regions where it has not been viable to run fibre to sparse areas they have adopted a fibre to docsis approach to deliver High speeds of 100MB to those they cannot run fibre direct to homes. ( Vodafone have been involved int hat too). ITs cheaper to drop in a system that serves less population and use the technology(Medium) already in place - this is obviously only open to the power companies though.

Villain wrote: »
    Most speedtest servers won't go above 600mb/s trust me I have tried all of them from a 1GB port :)

Private torrent tracker , Newsgroups (NZB's) and public distro's of linux should max it out .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In Spain and other regions where it has not been viable to run fibre to sparse areas they have adopted a fibre to docsis approach to deliver High speeds of 100MB to those they cannot run fibre direct to homes. ( Vodafone have been involved int hat too). ITs cheaper to drop in a system that serves less population and use the technology(Medium) already in place - this is obviously only open to the power companies though.

What you are talking about is Broadband over Powerline (BPL). Unfortunately BPL is pretty much a failed technology. It was found to have lots of issues due to noise interference you typically find in power lines and the large number of transformers.

It also causes interference to other radio applications that would be against Comreg rules.

The really hasn't been any large scale rollout of BPL anywhere in the world and I doubt very much that ESB will go down this route.

ESB did once trial BPL here in Ireland and consider using it, but I believe the trial was a failure and this is why they are now doing FTTH instead. dbit I guess you are getting confused with this previous trial.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ordin73 awesome pictures and information, thanks.

So the setup looks like (please correct me if I'm wrong):

- Push fibre through the duct from outside the house to the power meter on the wall of you house.

Question, was this done on the day of the install or had this been previously done?

- Drill a new hole in your wall, with a metal (weather proof) covering on the outside and another "white" plastic covering on the inside. Route the fibre from the power meter through this duct and coverings.

- Fibre then goes to the ONT (the black box).

- The ONT then transfers to ethernet to the router.

So some questions for you:

- How long did all the above take?

- Speedtests please, you are the biggest tease in Ireland today Ordin73 :)

- Can you try plugging the ethernet from the ONT directly into your laptop (bypassing the router)? The reason I ask, I wonder if the wireless router is doing anything special. If it isn't and you just have a plain broadband connection at the ONT, then you could replace it with any better router of your choice.

- Is it just broadband? Any indication of them also offering TV and phone services?

Again thanks for taking the time to post those lovely pictures and answering all our excited questions.

bk wrote: »
    What you are talking about is Broadband over Powerline (BPL). Unfortunately BPL is pretty much a failed technology. It was found to have lots of issues due to noise interference you typically find in power lines and the large number of transformers.

It also causes interference to other radio applications that would be against Comreg rules.

The really hasn't been any large scale rollout of BPL anywhere in the world and I doubt very much that ESB will go down this route.

ESB did once trial BPL here in Ireland and consider using it, but I believe the trial was a failure and this is why they are now doing FTTH instead. dbit I guess you are getting confused with this previous trial.

No not really confused i did post the previous trial info somehwere that was written off due to SNR drops outs and all of the above you mentioned. I just find it amazing to see someone actually running a fibre into a house in Ireland , its a reality its coming , and i see it killing off eircom and pushing them to rural supply only - possibly when everyonr on big towns change over isps itll make things flow more easily in rural areas with less contention and line noise on pstn networks.

Agggghhh FAP ! FAP! FAP! @ Ordin73 pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

I just find it amazing to see someone actually running a fibre into a house in Ireland

It should be noted that eircom Wholesale have been running FTTH in Sandyford and Wexford for almost 18 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Hackery wrote: »
    It should be noted that eircom Wholesale have been running FTTH in Sandyford and Wexford for almost 18 months now.

It should also be noted that eircom are adamant they want wholesale access to ESB/Vodafone fibre, Which as far as I'm aware, will be open for wholesale purchase and resale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Hackery wrote: »

And have all but deemed it commercially unsound as a product. I'm sure they'll change their tune at some point in the future. One of the guys in our office has 150Mbit/s FTTH but the CPE only had 100Meg ports. LOL.

flamegrill wrote: »
    And have all but deemed it commercially unsound as a product. I'm sure they'll change their tune at some point in the future. One of the guys in our office has 150Mbit/s FTTH but the CPE only had 100Meg ports. LOL.

He's trialling through Vodafone so with their gimped Huawei unit. Trialists with eircom retail get F1000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

He's trialling through Vodafone so with their gimped Huawei unit. Trialists with eircom retail get F1000s.

The Eircom stuff was trials they ran before the current eFibre roll out...

• Advertisement

ukoda wrote: »
    It should also be noted that eircom are adamant they want wholesale access to ESB/Vodafone fibre, Which as far as I'm aware, will be open for wholesale purchase and resale

That seems to be a bit of an open question.

ESB/Vodafone say that their FTTH network will be open to be used and resold by all operators in the style of Eircoms Bitstream service (ADSL & VDSL).

But what Eircom say they want is access to the ESB's power lines and ducts, so they can lay their own fibre more easily. Which is different to what the ESB are offering.

Advertisement