Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Anyone else looking at the calendar for maternity leave?

I'm looking but not with any joy really - I'll be very lucky to get 3-4 months :( I'm pretty envious of the 6months+ in Ireland.

Here, paid maternity leave isn't protected by law (although some UNpaid leave is, whoopdeedoo) so it is up to your employer and position. I know a student on my floor got 6 weeks, while a friend who is faculty in another department just got 8 weeks, and another women just took 4 weeks :eek::eek:. WEEKS! So it is normal for babies go into daycare at 6 weeks here :eek: and there is an expectation to go back to work quickly. this is a backward country in a lot of ways. With what I can definitely take (60-70 calendar days) and adding on some public holidays, christmas, plus an understanding boss, I'm hoping to get from mid-sept to the start of Jan. As my husband works for himself here, we'll split the time between us when I go back to work and then after a few months (or as long as it works out) put bubs in a creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

How is everyone doing? Most peeps must've had the big scan by now? I'm currently 26+4. Just back from lovely week in the Algarve. V relaxing and lazy. Totally not a "me holiday" at all normally but this pregnancy lark changes everything! Really appreciated slowing things down as we treated it as our last proper "us holiday" before bubs. And fab weather so plenty of VitD.

Have to say this 2nd trimester has been so easy (touching wood). Feel so well. Hard to imagine the return of the tiredness again in a few weeks. The only pregnancy "inconvenience" at the mo' is 1. The odd round ligament pain e.g. turned too quickly in bed yest and ouchies! and 2.that it is getting increasingly difficult to bend over!! I am already struggling with taking shoes/ runners on and off and OMG what's it gonna be like as bump gets bigger?!!

Have you started thinking about travel systems yet? We have bought nothing. Only starting to THINK about research!! Amazing how many views and opinions out there.....

How is everyone doing? Most peeps must've had the big scan by now? I'm currently 26+4. Just back from lovely week in the Algarve. V relaxing and lazy. Totally not a "me holiday" at all normally but this pregnancy lark changes everything! Really appreciated slowing things down as we treated it as our last proper "us holiday" before bubs. And fab weather so plenty of VitD.

Have to say this 2nd trimester has been so easy (touching wood). Feel so well. Hard to imagine the return of the tiredness again in a few weeks. The only pregnancy "inconvenience" at the mo' is 1. The odd round ligament pain e.g. turned too quickly in bed yest and ouchies! and 2.that it is getting increasingly difficult to bend over!! I am already struggling with taking shoes/ runners on and off and OMG what's it gonna be like as bump gets bigger?!!

Have you started thinking about travel systems yet? We have bought nothing. Only starting to THINK about research!! Amazing how many views and opinions out there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Karmella wrote: »
    Yeah it's the 16 weeks unpaid ... I couldn't afford it last time as there was no way we could've paid the mortgage, I think that this time though if we could save up all the money that we are currently paying for child care while im off and a bit more then it's just about doable - I think that child care for the 2 would probably work out about the same so I'd rather stay at home if I could. Just hoping that I won't go insane!!

Furbabymomma did you bring up your iron levels? Are you really exhausted? They took my bloods for iron at my last hospital appt at 20 weeks, so maybe your doctor doesn't take them. It's a bit confusing with combined care as to who does what sometimes. And if they were ok at 16 weeks then it might be ok now?

And did he just feel around your bump for the baby? That's all my doc did yesterday. When is your next hospital appointment?

I've been feeling fine and my bloods came back fine last time they were done (actually can't remember when they were done now, maybe 16 weeks?) but my iron levels could have changed in that time so just wanted reassurance - not to just be told because I'm a veggie I must take an iron supplement when I already take an overall supplement and have a good diet.

73trix I have NOTHING for this poor baby, it will be a last minute panic! But I have researched my travel system and we're deffo going with the Uppababy Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Hey ladies, I haven't posted here in months but have been following the posts. I'm currently 28+3 and had my first antenatel appointment Monday since my 12 week checkup. Nurse said all my bloods came back fine and gave me the laminated card to take away with my blood group on. Cue another woman's name( same surname) on the card. When back in to the nurse who checked my file and had some other ladies blood results in my file. She got a bit flustered but I let her to it. I mentioned it to doctor and at reception and they said it was very rare to happen but all I want to know is where the heck are my results! Back in two weeks so I'll chase it up. This may be t.m.I but I am dying from piles. Never had them bad with my other pregnancies but I'm literally getting teary eyed from the pain. Keep bleeding and panicking its the baby but its the other thing thank God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

tishandy wrote: »
    Hey ladies, I haven't posted here in months but have been following the posts. I'm currently 28+3 and had my first antenatel appointment Monday since my 12 week checkup. Nurse said all my bloods came back fine and gave me the laminated card to take away with my blood group on. Cue another woman's name( same surname) on the card. When back in to the nurse who checked my file and had some other ladies blood results in my file. She got a bit flustered but I let her to it. I mentioned it to doctor and at reception and they said it was very rare to happen but all I want to know is where the heck are my results! Back in two weeks so I'll chase it up. This may be t.m.I but I am dying from piles. Never had them bad with my other pregnancies but I'm literally getting teary eyed from the pain. Keep bleeding and panicking its the baby but its the other thing thank God.

That's horrible about the mixup, but the I'm not surprised. According to my hospital file on the data they input, I'm a single Irish woman with no recognisable doctor, and my husband is just listed as a personal carer, and I have no next of kin. Where as the forms I filled in (which are in the middle of the file) show that I am an American married to my Irish husband who is my next of kin, and all the doc info and doc letters are included.

I hear you about the piles. My iron was at the lowest end of normal, so I have to take galfer every second day, which made constipation worse. I've started to take fibre in the morning which helps, and if it's really bad, the doc can prescribe a suppository to ease the discomfort. Mine has gotten better without but I have them at home just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

My file was mixed up too and I had to tell the consultant twice that I'm not in fact carrying twins. Those first few moments of her talking about twins had me very, verrrry confused til I realised that she'd mixed my file up with another lady!

Isolt wrote: »
    My file was mixed up too and I had to tell the consultant twice that I'm not in fact carrying twins. Those first few moments of her talking about twins had me very, verrrry confused til I realised that she'd mixed my file up with another lady!

:eek::eek::eek:

73trix wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

I hadn't a clue why she greeted me with ''and you're having two babies''. I thought the sonographer had made a mistake on my last scan or something. Then she said ''lets take a look at the little troublemakers''. And I had to stop her there and then and insist I am actually carrying ONE baby. She had the wrong person's file opened the whole time. :o

So, how are you ladies doing at getting the baby bits organised? I have the buggy reserved, crib, car seat, safety monitor, play mat, a few toys, and loads of clothes, blankets, burp cloths, and wash rags thanks to the baby shower my aunts threw me when I came home to visit! Still have to get mobile, bouncer, mattress and linens (will have to get custom made as I ordered a mini crib from the states), and probably loads of other things I'm forgetting!

We were hoping to get an extension done, but are just getting quotes in now and they are way over what we had ballparked, so not sure what will happen. I just need the bathroom done as it's tiny (and we are taking a bit of space from our baby room), so I can get the baby room organised so I have places to store everything expect in the bags they are currently sitting in. I've less than 12W to go... really starting to feel real! Anyone else starting to feel the crunch?

• Advertisement

Wow comongethappy, you're so organised! I'm terrible, I have only bought one 8 piece set (baby gro, vest, hat, pair of mittens, bib etc) and 3 muslin cloths. I am very disorganised!

I have decided on which buggy to get though :o

What buggy did you go for in the end Isolt?

I decided on the baby elegance beep twist. I love the little carrycot part of it, looks so snug! And the handle bar is adjustable so we can make it low for me (I'm 4'11) and high for my bf!

I have a deposit in a Co-sleeper and a stand for the carrycot from my travel system - which I haven't even bought yet. That's it. I think we'll end up panic buying the basics at the last minute and just play it by ear. My hubby and I are terrible procrastinators, this poor child doesn't have a hope!!!

Nothing .... nix ....nada .... Terrible at shopping. starting to "research " buggies and overwhelmed already .

Ok , nothing BOUGHT as such... have a promise of cot and Moses basket..

That's all . 15 weeks to go . Loads of time , rrr ight ??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Nothing .... nix ....nada .... Terrible at shopping. starting to "research " buggies and overwhelmed already .

Ok , nothing BOUGHT as such... have a promise of cot and Moses basket..

That's all . 15 weeks to go . Loads of time , rrr ight ??!!

Yes it IS loads of time! The only thing that needs research / ordering really is the travel system, everything else can be got anytime.

I have a bugaboo chameleon but bought it second hand (there was no way I was gonna pay over a grand for new one!!). I think it was amazing, we got so much use out of it and should hopefully get another 2 years out of it with this baba aswell. However, even at that we still got a cheap stroller for travelling aswell because the bugaboo is bulky and you have to separate it in 2 if collapsing it.

My advise would be to go to a buggy shop and try out as many as you can, opening and closing them, changing between bassinet & car seat, see will all parts fit in your car boot and so on.

There's only so much research you can do online anyway, you really need to get into the shops and see them. Ask friends and family if they have any recommendations. Also ignore any hard selling by the shop people!!

If you can get a car seat with a base that you can just click the seat in and out - saves a lot of time dealing with seat belts etc.

That was our only big purchase really. We were very lucky to be able to borrow a lot of stuff (Moses basket, bath, cot).

Clothes wise all baby will need for the first few weeks / months is babygro's and vests. Outfits are a complete waste of money and you'll prob get loads as presents! There are definitely some outfits that were never worn or used only once.

I'd recommend getting one of those 'playmats' that have little toys and other coloured stuff hanging over them. My little man used to nap on his and everything, and I'd also use it for changing him. I only bought it after he was born. You won't need a cot straight away either. Unless baby is huge and doesn't fit in Moses basket lol!! But my guy was big and he was in the Moses basket for a good few months.

Chances are that you might not realise you need something til after the baby arrives, or you could end up buying loads of stuff that just isn't necessary. So it's not a bad thing to not be organised!! I was not very organised at all, and extremely clueless.

Don't panic :D

thanks Karmella. if i wasnt so allergic to shopping , i might be further along !

Where does a Wexford mam - to -be shop for travel systems any road ? Am i best heading to Dublin ??

thanks Karmella. if i wasnt so allergic to shopping , i might be further along !

Where does a Wexford mam - to -be shop for travel systems any road ? Am i best heading to Dublin ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I got mine in Dublin but the last day I was in Wexford for my hospital Appt I took a stroll around town and was quite impressed by the nursery store at Selsker - they had some good brands of buggies!!

• Advertisement

There's a baby fair up in Dublin on the 30 + 31st Aug. They have nearly every type of buggy up there to try out and a lot of shops will have special offers. You can also get bottles, moses baskets, nursery furniture, etc . I went in April and got a few bits. You can arrange delivery with each seller for the bigger bits. It's a great way to get everything sorted on the one day.

I'm hoping to get to that fair comeongethappy, just hoping that's not cutting it too fine lol

I'm hoping to get to that fair comeongethappy, just hoping that's not cutting it too fine lol

hmmm, was also thinking the same thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

baby fairs are a great place to haggle for the big things, i got money off the quinny system and free foot muff thrown in
    clothes ect we just ordered from asda, serious savings there and plenty of good items too
    picked up moses basket, clothes and afew safety items

http://direct.asda.com/george/baby-clothes/D5,default,sc.html

The heat ladies! How are you all coping? Ice lollies are a saviour!

The heat ladies! How are you all coping? Ice lollies are a saviour!

I am finding the heat really tough going! Bought two boxes of Mr. Freezes today and had a slush puppy :P :o

Isolt wrote: »
    I am finding the heat really tough going! Bought two boxes of Mr. Freezes today and had a slush puppy :P :o

My feet, ankles and calves are so swollen :( My ankles wouldn't flex properly to go down the stairs, had to waddle down

My feet, ankles and calves are so swollen :( My ankles wouldn't flex properly to go down the stairs, had to waddle down

Ugh, it really is very uncomfortable! Lie down with your feet elevated and try get that swelling down!
    My baby's been pretty quiet today, I've had a few kicks and punches alright but I wonder can baby feel that I'm all tired and crranky?!

Also, is anybody else getting kicks to the cervix? I was watching my tummy contort earlier this evening and the next thing I got the mother of all twinges down below. In fact, I think baby often stomps a foot down there! Normal? :eek: :o

Feet up, just finished shaving. I can't see my bikini line anymore so I had to do it in the mirror!

Yeah, downward kicks are normal, feel pretty weird! I get a few of those every day, but he's always changing position every few hours. At the moment he is wedged on the right side of my stomach kicking down towards my hip.

• Advertisement

I'm fine apart from the fact that I'm finding the dog walking more difficult. Still doing around an hour and a half a day but finding some days I get ligament pains so have ordered a ridiculous looking maternity belt contraption off Amazon in the hope it will support the bump while walking. Also have finally given up and started wearing a lovely comfy maternity bra, but find my boulders are bouncing when I walk! If anyone can recommend a maternity bra that would hold them in place while exercising I would be eternally grateful!!!

Advertisement