Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I'm fine apart from the fact that I'm finding the dog walking more difficult. Still doing around an hour and a half a day but finding some days I get ligament pains so have ordered a ridiculous looking maternity belt contraption off Amazon in the hope it will support the bump while walking. Also have finally given up and started wearing a lovely comfy maternity bra, but find my boulders are bouncing when I walk! If anyone can recommend a maternity bra that would hold them in place while exercising I would be eternally grateful!!!

Would you try a sports bra for your current size range?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I have got those bra extenders. Brilliant invention! Still in sports bras too and find them good.

Hi all. How about we post our due dates? Wondering who else is close to mine. I'm Sept 25th. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I'm September 27th in Holles St :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Im due 3rd sept in kk
    However was told at last appointment I could be brought in @ no more than 39 weeks .
    Have another appointment tomorrow so il see if I know more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Wow monflat, could be an August baby :)

I am due 1st Sept according to Holles St, 31st Aug according to my GP. Going on the scans, 1st Sept more accurate

My due date is the 22nd, but considering my son was 5 days early I have it in my head that I'll be gone by mid Sept :) Gonna finish the last week of august, take a week holiday and then officially start Mat Leave 2 weeks before the 22nd.

Felt a real tightness across the top of my bump this week, and oh jesus the heartburn last night - was my first real bout of it this pregnancy! Little fella is doing aerobics inside, getting punched and kicked and jabbed from all angles!! :)

I've had a really tough few weeks emotionally - I had surgery to remove a mild cancer growth from my face, and I was stuck at home in hiding for 2 weeks. Way too much time for me to ponder about how my marriage had fallen apart, and sheer panic at the thought of doing this on my own and I deluded myself into thinking that there was some bit of hope for us and we would get back together. I asked him if he'd be willing to go for counselling with me and his response was that he would if I wanted him to, but that his feelings were not going to change, its still over and he wants to move on. :( Now, this was actually the best thing for him to say because it brought me back down to earth and I have some bit of closure now and am no longer daydreaming about unlikely possibilities - at the end of the day he has hurt me so badly that I would be insane to take him back, but I think it was fear and neediness that was making me forget about all that and imagine that there was still something there. Its weird how your emotions can just play tricks on you! Its hard to let go of a 15 year relationship too though - and the reality is that we are never going to be truly separate when there are 2 kids in the picture.

Awh Karmella, you've really had a tough time. I hope you're recovering well after the procedure. As for your marriage, I can't imagine how hard it is for you. I hope you have lots of people around you to support you.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a difficult time Karmella. It's a lot on you normally, never mind being heavily pregnant on top. Really hope that the surgery went well, and I hope your ex is still supportive during this time

Ah thanks, funnily enough being pregnant is like the least of my problems :) I've pretty much had a dream pregnancy again. I have a good support network of friends and family, and to be fair to him he does take our son a lot, so I do get rest time. But I think just being at home with nothing to do started driving me a bit crazy.

The surgery actually went very well and it is healing quite nicely (according to the plastic surgeon), hopefully it will look back to normal in another few weeks.

Just stay out of the sun girls!!!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Comeongethappy You are doing great being do organized. I have bough only a moses basket and have everything else already. Got himself to take the newborn clothes out of the attic yesterday so I can wash them. Neighbors will probably think I've gone early when they see them on the washing line.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Karmella. The new little bundle will give you so much happiness it will hopefully help get you though tough times. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Excited_FTM

Im due the 21st Sept :)

Whoo-hoo! 10w to go, 8w left in work, and the start of my 4 day weeks (I had annual leave to take before finishing, so decided to cut down the weeks left to make it a bit easier). Work on the house to hopefully start this week as well.

Anyone else feeling exhausted? Not sure if it's the heat or if it's because I'm at the 30w mark? ?

Probably a bit of both comeongethappy, definitely the heat is draining. I'm 27 weeks today and just don't want to do anything!

That's a good idea about the four day weeks, might look into doing something similar, I'm beyond allergic to work!!

Anyone using extra pillows in bed yet? I 'm still sleeping grand without them. Anyone using those maternity ones, the big body ones?? I was kinda waiting to see if it got uncomfortable before looking for extra pillows etc but should we be doing it anyway as a preventative measure?? Thinking it's sooo hot at the mo', I don't really fancy any extra pillows in the bed but obviously if I needed them, i would!

I am using a body pillow, I love it. I can't get comfy at all in bed, my bump gets uncomfortable if I lie on one side too long. And baby likes to kick whichever side I'm lying on for the craic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

been reading for months but first time posting.
    i am due 24th september so i am 27 weeks at the moment.
    been having lots of movement the past 6-7 weeks, especially the last 2-3 weeks can feel it stronger and alot more often.
    last night when i got into bed i realised i hadnt really felt anything since yesterday morning / lunch time. barely slept all night.
    am feeling a bit here and there so far today but not nearly as strong as before.
    should i be worried??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

been reading for months but first time posting.
    i am due 24th september so i am 27 weeks at the moment.
    been having lots of movement the past 6-7 weeks, especially the last 2-3 weeks can feel it stronger and alot more often.
    last night when i got into bed i realised i hadnt really felt anything since yesterday morning / lunch time. barely slept all night.
    am feeling a bit here and there so far today but not nearly as strong as before.
    should i be worried??

If I was ever worried about lack of movement or anything else, I rang the maternity hospital and asked to speak to a midwife, they were great any time I called! What hospital are you with?

If you are ever worried Jelliebellie have a cold sweet drink and lie down on your side, should feel the baby moving loads. I find my little guy might have a quiet day one day and make up for it with loads of movement the next. Also if you're moving around loads you rock the baby to sleep. I think that's why my guy is quiet at work, I swivel my chair a lot. If you have any doubts though call your doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

thanks guys.
    alot more movement as the day goes on thank god.
    do any of you count kicks?

i asked my doctor and he said he didnt usually recommend it as people can get hung up on it and make them more anxious/nervous. he said as long as you get some sort of movement during every 24 hours not to worry as every baby is different. i am usually such a worrier but been surprisingly calm so far, think i am looking for stuff to worry about now?!

thanks guys.
    alot more movement as the day goes on thank god.
    do any of you count kicks?

i asked my doctor and he said he didnt usually recommend it as people can get hung up on it and make them more anxious/nervous. he said as long as you get some sort of movement during every 24 hours not to worry as every baby is different. i am usually such a worrier but been surprisingly calm so far, think i am looking for stuff to worry about now?!

No, the closer I get the more worried and emotional I am. I'm 30+3 today, and yesterday I felt like having a meltdown because work is just beginning on the house now, and I felt I would be a horrible mom if the baby room wasn't finished by the time he's born. Logically, I know he'll be in our room for the first six months, so it really doesn't matter. I think I was just pure exhausted yesterday, running errands all day, along with a couple that didn't go as planned.

I was with the midwife this afternoon and she asked about movement, and she said once you get a good few bouts of movement every day then it's fine, sometimes baby can sleep for 4 or 5 hrs before moving. She said about the cold sweet drink and laying on the left side - if you don't feel any movement after about 30 mins and hadn't previously, ring the doc just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hi ladies

haven't posted in a while as I've been traveling. Glad to hear all is well. My due date is sept 16th, but i'm trying to convince myself it is the 23rd as i'm sure I'll go over!

Re the movement, yeah it gets me worrying too if I haven't felt anything for a while. I think i'm getting more worried as time goes on. At our ante natal class on Tuesday the mid wife said the same, drink something like orange juice and lie quietly on your left for a while. Also, she said we can count for 10 movements in 2 hrs. But I think I'd prefer drinking the juice, much quicker results.

Had a bit of a worry myself lately. I found that I was leaking a tiny bit in the last week but assumed it was just the start of a leaky bladder. At the class on Tuesday, it was one of the things the midwife mentioned and she recommended to get it checked out if it happened, as it might be fluid leaking rather than just pee. Happened again yesterday evening, so I went to my ob clinic this morning and asked for a nurse. Lucky for me I got seen within about 15 min and she checked me all out down there, took some samples and baby's heart rate. All looked good, thankfully. She couldn't say what it was, but it isn't amniotic fluid and there isn't an infection. So I guess it was probably just pee! I better do those kegels...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Karmella you have had such a dose of a time of it, if anyone deserves a dream labour it's you!!!

Jelliebellie that happens me too, some days baby kicks loads, others not so much and I tend to worry. I'd be in trouble if I had to count kicks in a certain timeframe as they are sporadic and random. I'm just happy to feel the odd one a couple of times during the day to reassure me baby is alive and literally kicking!

Hi comongethappy,

I think you are American, are you? Can I ask your advice? I'm Irish and living in America. Some of my friends and some work colleagues here have offered to throw me baby showers. I resisted at first, as it feels too much of a culture shock for me (all I saw was celebrating before the baby actually gets here and also the whole thing of throwing it so people bring gifts. I know that it means more than that here but from the outside that's what it appears to be). I finally agreed as they weren't letting me away with it, and this baby will be a little American so I might as well get into the culture! However, I'm clueless and I don't want to offend any of my friends by asking them these stupid questions in case they think I don't appreciate their efforts. I was invited to one in December but couldn't make it as I was traveling, so I've no experience of them. I hope you can help, thanks.

My questions are:
    -How prevalent are the games, themes, activities etc? They seem a bit, well, OTT! Is it bad to have a baby shower without such things? Can I even say that I don't want them or will that spoil the whole thing?
    -3 different people have offered to host - one from work and 2 from outside work. Is it the norm to just have one party or do people have a work one and a personal-friends one?
    - on the 2 people who offered that are personal friends, I'm thinking it would be best to just have one party for all my non-work friends as there is some overlap between the two groups of friends. But I don't want to piss off either of the two girls who offered by choosing one. Does there have to be one host or can a couple of people co-host?
    - Does it have to be all women? I'd like my other half to be involved, as he is involved in all the other baby-stuff too. His friends are mainly within the same groups as mine, so it would be a party with friends. And I'm not much of a girly girl so the presence of a few guys might dilute the frills :)
    -Is there a usual time? I'd like to leave it as late as possible (I'm due Sept 16th) so sometime late august.
    -who supplies and pays for the food/drinks/games provided?

I've been reading this but it kind of scared me:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-shower-games_10300277.bc

Thanks a mill for any advice you can give me!

MiA

Hi comongethappy,

I think you are American, are you? Can I ask your advice? I'm Irish and living in America. Some of my friends and some work afolleagues here have offered to throw me baby showers. I resisted at first, as it feels too much of a culture shock for me (all I saw was celebrating before the baby actually gets here and also the whole thing of throwing it so people bring gifts. I know that it means more than that here but from the outside that's what it appears to be). I finally agreed as they weren't letting me away with it, and this baby will be a little American so I might as well get into the culture! However, I'm clueless and I don't want to offend any of my friends by asking them these stupid questions in case they think I don't appreciate their efforts. I was invited to one in December but couldn't make it as I was traveling, so I've no experience of them. I hope you can help, thanks.

My questions are:
    -How prevalent are the games, themes, activities etc? They seem a bit, well, OTT! Is it bad to have a baby shower without such things? Can I even say that I don't want them or will that spoil the whole thing?
    -3 different people have offered to host - one from work and 2 from outside work. Is it the norm to just have one party or do people have a work one and a personal-friends one?
    - on the 2 people who offered that are personal friends, I'm thinking it would be best to just have one party for all my non-work friends as there is some overlap between the two groups of friends. But I don't want to piss off either of the two girls who offered by choosing one. Does there have to be one host or can a couple of people co-host?
    - Does it have to be all women? I'd like my other half to be involved, as he is involved in all the other baby-stuff too. His friends are mainly within the same groups as mine, so it would be a party with friends. And I'm not much of a girly girl so the presence of a few guys might dilute the frills :)
    -Is there a usual time? I'd like to leave it as late as possible (I'm due Sept 16th) so sometime late august.
    -who supplies and pays for the food/drinks/games provided?

I've been reading this but it kind of scared me:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-shower-games_10300277.bc

Thanks a mill for any advice you can give me!

MiA

Hi MIA, I know a baby shower can feel awkward, especially when you know it's happening in advance! However, you would be amazed at people's generosity and the amount of things you will get for the baby! I was thrown a surprise shower when I went home in May - I really had no clue it was happening as normally you have the shower well into the third trimester and I thought I was just meeting my aunt's for lunch!

- games: It really depends on who is hosting it and where it's thrown. A lot of house parties will have some games, and the host will be expected to buy prizes for them. Again, it could be small cheap prizes like a bath set or some people go for gift cards. However, when I was home, we had the shower in the Olive Garden, so my mom and the hosts didn't do games (after all, there were other tables around and they didn't want to take over the area), so they paid for the guests lunches in lieu of the normal game prizes and guest bags.

Hosts : People can co-host parties. It's great as it can take the burden off of one person. My SIL here in Ireland wanted a baby shower, so I coorganised with one of her friends. You can have a separate work / friends party, or you can get the numbers for the three people and give them to one another to work together on a singular party. It all depends on the size of both groups and how you feel they would mesh together. You may be better off having separate work and friends parties. Also, most likely your MIL and any SIL you have will expect to be invited to a baby shower (if one is not being organised by his family, which your host can find out), so it might be a chance to choose which you would rather have them at by giving their details to the host.

Men at the party - traditionally, it's a ladies only affair, but more often men are being included as they are taking on a bigger role. Say it to the host that you would like the hubby and some of his friends involved too, and pass on their details. If games are involved, it could be cool to have a men vs women general baby knowledge quiz.
    Timing - most often it's late in the last trimester, 2 - 8 weeks before your due date. This is because you have an very high chance of a baby surviving if it's born early at this stage.
    Who pays - generally the hosts, but if you don't want the burden to be solely on them (example -you want to invite friends outside the hosts circle or in laws, or you know they are strapped for cash), you can offer to pitch in 50 - 100 towards food or gifts. If you think that they won't take the money, ask your husband to offer it to them as he wants to help too ;-)

Also, many gift givers will provide gift receipts for returns /exchanges. However, many mums to be will register for baby gifts. It helps against duplication and if you have a late shower, you don't want to go around trying to return items from different shops when you don't have the energy. When you find out who's hosting, go to target or walmart and register for some little bits there, and maybe a shop like buy buy baby for a couple more expensive items or group gifts. It gives the chance for people who don't have a lot to spend to pick up cheaper gifts, while a group could pitch in towards a more expensive item. Just remember to tell the hosts where you are registered so they can mention it on the invite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

If someone gives you a baby shower does that mean then they have given their gift to you instead of giving you something when baby is born?

Hi MIA, I know a baby shower can feel awkward, especially when you know it's happening in advance! However, you would be amazed at people's generosity and the amount of things you will get for the baby! I was thrown a surprise shower when I went home in May - I really had no clue it was happening as normally you have the shower well into the third trimester and I thought I was just meeting my aunt's for lunch!

- games: It really depends on who is hosting it and where it's thrown. A lot of house parties will have some games, and the host will be expected to buy prizes for them. Again, it could be small cheap prizes like a bath set or some people go for gift cards. However, when I was home, we had the shower in the Olive Garden, so my mom and the hosts didn't do games (after all, there were other tables around and they didn't want to take over the area), so they paid for the guests lunches in lieu of the normal game prizes and guest bags.

Hosts : People can co-host parties. It's great as it can take the burden off of one person. My SIL here in Ireland wanted a baby shower, so I coorganised with one of her friends. You can have a separate work / friends party, or you can get the numbers for the three people and give them to one another to work together on a singular party. It all depends on the size of both groups and how you feel they would mesh together. You may be better off having separate work and friends parties. Also, most likely your MIL and any SIL you have will expect to be invited to a baby shower (if one is not being organised by his family, which your host can find out), so it might be a chance to choose which you would rather have them at by giving their details to the host.

Men at the party - traditionally, it's a ladies only affair, but more often men are being included as they are taking on a bigger role. Say it to the host that you would like the hubby and some of his friends involved too, and pass on their details. If games are involved, it could be cool to have a men vs women general baby knowledge quiz.
    Timing - most often it's late in the last trimester, 2 - 8 weeks before your due date. This is because you have an very high chance of a baby surviving if it's born early at this stage.
    Who pays - generally the hosts, but if you don't want the burden to be solely on them (example -you want to invite friends outside the hosts circle or in laws, or you know they are strapped for cash), you can offer to pitch in 50 - 100 towards food or gifts. If you think that they won't take the money, ask your husband to offer it to them as he wants to help too ;-)

Also, many gift givers will provide gift receipts for returns /exchanges. However, many mums to be will register for baby gifts. It helps against duplication and if you have a late shower, you don't want to go around trying to return items from different shops when you don't have the energy. When you find out who's hosting, go to target or walmart and register for some little bits there, and maybe a shop like buy buy baby for a couple more expensive items or group gifts. It gives the chance for people who don't have a lot to spend to pick up cheaper gifts, while a group could pitch in towards a more expensive item. Just remember to tell the hosts where you are registered so they can mention it on the invite

Thanks a million, comeongethappy! That is a lot of great advice, just what I was looking for. Cleared up a lot. My husband is also Irish, so there won't be any family involved. I don't feel so bad suggesting to the two girls to Co-host one shower now. I think I'll keep work and personal friends separate too.

Your surprise shower in may sounds lovely, glad you got to enjoy it with your family, it must be odd for you being in Ireland where it isn't common.

Thanks a million, comeongethappy! That is a lot of great advice, just what I was looking for. Cleared up a lot. My husband is also Irish, so there won't be any family involved. I don't feel so bad suggesting to the two girls to Co-host one shower now. I think I'll keep work and personal friends separate too.

Your surprise shower in may sounds lovely, glad you got to enjoy it with your family, it must be odd for you being in Ireland where it isn't common.

Sorry, I had assumed your hubby was American when you were talking about the Irish baby names! His response to you about people not knowing the spelling just sounded very American.

Shower was lovely, was happy not to have the games. I got so much my mom has to bring some when they come over after the baby is born! I'm well used to it here by now, been here for over 10 yrs. Tbh I had been shocked when I was getting married, I had expected my in laws to throw a bridal shower, and they had expected me to invite them to my hen which you wouldn't do in the states! So learned all about it back then! Though baby showers are starting to become a lot more popular here now, my Irish sister in law had 2, one with college friends and one with her normal crowd!

• Advertisement

monflat wrote: »
    If someone gives you a baby shower does that mean then they have given their gift to you instead of giving you something when baby is born?

Often with coworkers or aquiatances, this is the only gift you'll get. However with closer family and friends, you'll often get another gift when they are born, even if it's just a little outfit or teddy.

Also, traditionally showers are only given on your first baby, as you are expected to have some bits saved for your second and not need as much. However, one of my cousins in the states threw a shower for her friends third baby, so not sure if that is changing as well!

Advertisement