Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

What time do you ladies stay awake till in the evening?

17 weeks in & I'm still struggling to stay awake past 10pm.

Will this pass?

I have found that since 12 weeks approx, I had a good return of energy. Back to my old bedtime of betw 11.30 and 12 so happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Will this pass?

I was lucky to be up past 7 for several weeks! Managing til 10pm now although I'm up late tonight as have weird pains in my belly and can't make out if they are cramps or trapped wind or what 😧

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Will this pass?

I'm still falling asleep earlier than usual I start to droop around 9.30 and I'm 16 weeks now. It is pretty annoying, I'm only in the door a wee while and then off to bed, don't get much time with the other half. The flip side of that is I'm wide awake at 5 the next morning, which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I'm managing to stay up until 11 occasionally but it was really only because I was watching a TV show and simply 'had' to watch the next episode! (Darn Netflix :-) )

Generally I'm heading for the bed around 10. But not sleeping terribly well so it doesn't really matter what time I go! Still exhausted in the morning!

I was at yoga last night which was lovely and relaxing - my favourite bit is at the end where you pretty much just pan out and 'go to sleep' for 10 minutes. Tis fab. Although you do have to kinda snap out of it to drive home after :P

Its just all stretching and breathing and relaxing for an hour and 15 minutes. I would definitely recommend it to all of you ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I was lucky to be up past 7 for several weeks! Managing til 10pm now although I'm up late tonight as have weird pains in my belly and can't make out if they are cramps or trapped wind or what 😧

Braxton hicks maybe ?

• Advertisement

monflat wrote: »
    Braxton hicks maybe ?

Turned out to be round ligament pain. I was confused as before that I'd been having cramps in the pubic region but yesterday I was out walking the dogs when I started to get a dull ache in my left side. Couldn't straighten up properly after a few hours. But it was gone by morning. Apparently this type of round ligament pain is very common in weeks 14-18.

Turned out to be round ligament pain. I was confused as before that I'd been having cramps in the pubic region but yesterday I was out walking the dogs when I started to get a dull ache in my left side. Couldn't straighten up properly after a few hours. But it was gone by morning. Apparently this type of round ligament pain is very common in weeks 14-18.

Ah grand at least u know now

Yup I'm very relieved :-) They're coming back as we speak though, imagine they will last a few days.

On a side note, has anyone noticed their increase in heart rate? I'm feeling like it's beating really fast the last few days!

Wow, that's good to know! I had a couple of weird twinges today and was paranoid wondering what they were. They didn't last. All these weird sensations take getting used to!

There are so many changes to get used to. The only symptom I knew about before getting pregnant was morning sickness and that's the only symptom I haven't had! *why did nobody tell me about the other stuff???*

• Advertisement

There are so many changes to get used to. The only symptom I knew about before getting pregnant was morning sickness and that's the only symptom I haven't had! *why did nobody tell me about the other stuff???*

Haha! I'm the same. I feel like I had no clue at all "as long as I'm not puking I'll be grand", NO! It's like a big secret that only women who have been pregnant know about, and only talk to other pregnant women about it. When I told my friends, the ones without kids said the stuff I used to say (congrats! When are you due? boy or girl?) The new mums were all 'how are you feeling? How is this, how is that, I had such and such and I found this helped.' Mountains of sympathy and support. It's like an underground society! Which makes me wonder why.

What an afternoon. Was walking the dogs on a patch of grass alongside a path when I failed to notice a 6 inch hole in the ground. My foot went straight in and as I was holding leads I didn't put my hands out to protect myself and landed on the right side of my chest and belly. Was in a right state thinking I'd hurt the baby and had to call the hubby to come collect me. Went to the doctor and thankfully everything is fine, we got to hear the heartbeat. Even though I am a somewhat reluctant and nervous mammy to be I would have been gutted if anything had happened. Having an evening on the couch with lots of cake til I get over the shock. Wish I could knock back a bottle of wine after that :-)

What an afternoon. Was walking the dogs on a patch of grass alongside a path when I failed to notice a 6 inch hole in the ground. My foot went straight in and as I was holding leads I didn't put my hands out to protect myself and landed on the right side of my chest and belly. Was in a right state thinking I'd hurt the baby and had to call the hubby to come collect me. Went to the doctor and thankfully everything is fine, we got to hear the heartbeat. Even though I am a somewhat reluctant and nervous mammy to be I would have been gutted if anything had happened. Having an evening on the couch with lots of cake til I get over the shock. Wish I could knock back a bottle of wine after that :-)

Ah god help u you must have got some shock.
    Thank god everything is ok i suppose better protected at this stage than later on nonetheless thank god alls ok
    Enjoy relaxing !

Ah god help u you must have got some shock.
    Thank god everything is ok i suppose better protected at this stage than later on nonetheless thank god alls ok
    Enjoy relaxing !

Oh my goodness you'd get an awful shock alright, great that you got to the doctor and all is well! Just try and relax now. I had an incident at 15 weeks on my last pregnancy (I was up in the attic, missed my footing and my foot went through the ceiling, and my belly kinda stopped me falling all the way through!!) scared the bejaysus outta me & himself! I rang the maternity a&e and they said if there was no pain or bleeding that everything was likely to be fine as baby has plenty cushioning at this stage, and I went to my doc first thing the following morning and got the heartbeat so all was well.

You'd be so freaked!

Thanks monflat and karmella, I did get an awful fright. My mother in law told me afterwards it's worse to fall on your back and baby is well cushioned at thus stage but I didn't know that at the time. Karmella what happened to you sounds awful, I would have freaked!

On a side note when I went to the doctor I assumed he looked over my notes and remembered I was pregnant but he thought I was in trying to set up a compo claim for a fall! I was so shook I didn't wonder why he was asking questions about the whole, my husband actually had to remind him I was pregnant and get him to check my belly!

That would be some shock! Glad to hear both you and bubs are safe and well. Isn't it mad that something like a simple trip has us like this. Lol at the doc and the claim though!

Can I ask about weight gain? I am a person who has struggled with my weight and self image since my teens and am finding it hard to put these thoughts aside during pregnancy. I'm 16 weeks today and at only 5"1' I've already put on half a stone. I'm trying to stay active and eat well but the chocolate is really calling to me :-)

Can I ask about weight gain? I am a person who has struggled with my weight and self image since my teens and am finding it hard to put these thoughts aside during pregnancy. I'm 16 weeks today and at only 5"1' I've already put on half a stone. I'm trying to stay active and eat well but the chocolate is really calling to me :-)

Hey furbabymomma. I am kind of in the same boat as yourself with the weight and food issues. It is one of my big concerns going into pregnancy. At 5'7" I'm not massively tall but I am a bit self conscious of being taller than most other women, and when I've a bit of weight on I feel like an elephant. So I'm kind of dreading getting bigger; I'll be no dainty pregnant lady! On the food side of things, I am worried about that too. I would comfort/binge eat now and again, especially if under stress. I used to smoke for a few years in college and I think I eat now to replace the smoking when stressed!

Up until now I've had no stomach for food so I've been eating very healthy and not too much. But once my appetite comes back I'm worried that it will be very hard to stop myself pigging out at times. I know there is all the talk about not getting too heavy so you won't have post-pregnancy weight and easier labour etc but while I'm worried about myself, what I hope will keep me away from food is the thought of what it will do to the baby. I don't want to scare you here but there are real issues that can happen with a bad diet in pregnancy. This is not medical advice, just a few points on what info is out there. Look away now if you don't want to know :).

Bigger babies (bigger than 9 pounds at birth I think), from gestational diabetes or just poor maternal diet, have a higher risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease when they grow up.
    A high fat maternal diet (pretty much our 'western' diet) can affect certain brain development and lead to issues with attention and appetite/food behaviour. I'm sure there are other ones too, these are just the ones I know about. Effects like these are observed in people and the causes behind them are being worked out in animal studies. It is starting to get a lot of attention as there are more pregnant women who are overweight nowadays. Something like over 50% of pregnant women :eek: I've put a few refs below for the two points.

So, when I am absolutely dying for a load of chocolate I hope I'll remember some of this. I don't want to set my poor little mite up for a life of being unhealthy and not being able to stop eating either. One trick I was hoping to fool myself with was trying to think of it as feeding a little baby. Would I feed a little new born baby a whole pack of biscuits? Kinda turns me off. Having said all that, it was free cone day at the Ben & Jerry's shop in my work building yesterday and I went back for seconds rolleyes.png

Refs
    Large for gestational age:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fetal-macrosomia/basics/complications/con-20035423
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15741354

maternal high fat diet or obesity and neural development:
    A summary from a researcher on this: https://www.med.upenn.edu/apps/faculty/index.php/g5455356/p8127438
    http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v39/n4/full/npp2013193a.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23924601

Girls - you really should not put so much pressure on yourselves (and seriously stay away from google!!!) Yes it is very difficult to cope with putting on weight and there are times when you'll feel like a beached whale or whatever, but remember its only temporary!!

Also at the beginning of the second trimester you are still in the 'not really having a bump yet but just looking fat' stage and its the worst time I think.

Just continue to eat as healthily as you can, and don't beat yourself up when you pig out, - remember happy mama makes a happy baby!

You are naturally going to get heavier, especially as you wouldn't be exercising as much.

In my last pregnancy I did get a wicked sweet tooth, and I ate a lot of cakes and chocolate but I had a relatively healthy diet otherwise so it balanced out. I'm 5'6 and my weight tends to fluctuate between 11 and 13 stone. My last baby was big enough (9lb6) but he actually got very tiny very quickly if that makes sense - there isn't a pick on him! He's been below average weight at every check since. Of course he eats feck all aswell so that's why! Very picky little eater.

I was 12 - 12.5 st when I got pregnant this time I think, so already 1.5 stone heavier than I was last time. And almost instantly I was craving more chocolate and biscuits! But also with everything that's been going on, I'm finding that eating healthily is taking a back seat. I have to really push myself to cook and make nice food. But that is something i'll get over soon when I've a routine in place. I've a tummy bug this week too so haven't actually eaten at all in 2 days :-/

Anyway, I think I'm rambling now. But all I'm saying is don't worry too much - we all have enough to worry about!!

• Advertisement

Karmella wrote: »
    Girls - you really should not put so much pressure on yourselves (and seriously stay away from google!!!) Yes it is very difficult to cope with putting on weight and there are times when you'll feel like a beached whale or whatever, but remember its only temporary!!

Also at the beginning of the second trimester you are still in the 'not really having a bump yet but just looking fat' stage and its the worst time I think.

Just continue to eat as healthily as you can, and don't beat yourself up when you pig out, - remember happy mama makes a happy baby!

You are naturally going to get heavier, especially as you wouldn't be exercising as much.

In my last pregnancy I did get a wicked sweet tooth, and I ate a lot of cakes and chocolate but I had a relatively healthy diet otherwise so it balanced out. I'm 5'6 and my weight tends to fluctuate between 11 and 13 stone. My last baby was big enough (9lb6) but he actually got very tiny very quickly if that makes sense - there isn't a pick on him! He's been below average weight at every check since. Of course he eats feck all aswell so that's why! Very picky little eater.

I was 12 - 12.5 st when I got pregnant this time I think, so already 1.5 stone heavier than I was last time. And almost instantly I was craving more chocolate and biscuits! But also with everything that's been going on, I'm finding that eating healthily is taking a back seat. I have to really push myself to cook and make nice food. But that is something i'll get over soon when I've a routine in place. I've a tummy bug this week too so haven't actually eaten at all in 2 days :-/

Anyway, I think I'm rambling now. But all I'm saying is don't worry too much - we all have enough to worry about!!

Hey Karmella, thanks for your reply. Like I said, I wasn't aiming to scare anyone (and I did say look away now :)). It was my two cents in reply to FBM, I'm sorry if it worried you. For me, it is not about putting pressure on myself or anyone else, it is about being healthy for my child. Beyond myself and my own issues around it, it is a real and growing problem in many countries including Ireland that needs to be addressed without fear of hurting people's feelings. Firstly, some women are afraid of getting fat. That is an issue in itself. Secondly, getting fatter than is necessary while pregnant can increase the risk for certain conditions during pregnancy and for the child as they grow up. Note that I say 'increase the risk', it doesn't mean every child will have it, just that there is a higher risk of them having it. I'm delighted that your baby is perfect and both of ye are doing great, but that may is not the case for everyone. That has been shown in human and animal studies and is not just Dr. Google talking (although I agree google is a heartscald, need to be careful of the sources).

This is what I am using as a guide for my weight gain. It gives a break down of what all the different bits and bobs contribute to the weight and how much fat should contribute. I'm trying to keep in mind that I need to put on weight, but not too much.
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

I know what you mean with Happy Momma, but Happy Momma does not always mean Happy Baby, I'm happiest when full of vodka! ;)

Edit to say: I am no skinnymalink myself, I'm 5'7" and fluctuate between 10.5 and 11 st. I was 10 st 11 lb when I got pregnant. I have plenty of issues with food and weight and I'm dreading when my appetite comes back full on as it will be a daily struggle for me, it is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Jaaayzus, I do wish I had have looked away now.

I'm 4'11 and any weight gain is noticeable. I already feel like a frumpy mess at 16 weeks.

Thanks for the info, very interesting! I'm trying to be healthy and my dinner had 5 types of veg in it but I also ate an easter Egg, a milky bar cow and two biscuits between meals so need to get a handle on myself! I do hope it will all balance out though, hopefully tomorrow I'll be better behaved lol. I find it hard to think the baby isn't loving all the sugar though :-P

I know I shouldn't worry that much about weight Karmella but it's hard to change the habit of a lifetime in 16 weeks :-D

Hi ladies.

Have any of you still got v sore boobs? I am just gone 15 weeks and there appears to be no end to it. In fact, for about 2 days there recently I thought this symptom had passed (as most other symptoms have gone now :D and i feel more like my old self, bar the bump and weight :eek: ) but the sore boobs are back and even more painful than ever! Another growth spurt?? They sure are getting big though!

Isolt wrote: »
    Jaaayzus, I do wish I had have looked away now.

I'm 4'11 and any weight gain is noticeable. I already feel like a frumpy mess at 16 weeks.

isn't the frumpiness the worst? I wish I looked more properly pregnant, rather than this barrel shape I have going on.

isn't the frumpiness the worst? I wish I looked more properly pregnant, rather than this barrel shape I have going on.

This...

It does pass though! In another 4 weeks ye should be properly bumpy - hopefully anyway! Ate some proper food today for the first time since Monday. Tummy Bug has passed thankfully. Although son has full blown fever since last night, so had to stay home from work today (tragic! ;) )

73trix wrote: »
    Hi ladies.

Have any of you still got v sore boobs? I am just gone 15 weeks and there appears to be no end to it. In fact, for about 2 days there recently I thought this symptom had passed (as most other symptoms have gone now :D and i feel more like my old self, bar the bump and weight :eek: ) but the sore boobs are back and even more painful than ever! Another growth spurt?? They sure are getting big though!

Ow that is annoying! Mine have eased off the pain, I hope it doesn't come back again. On the boob thing, I'm usually pretty flat and now that they don't hurt anymore I'm lovin' my new boobs! I wish they would stay like this!

Hi ladies how are ye all this week? I'm 18Weeks tomorrow. Symptoms easing off for you by now? Any new ones appear?

I survived an American hen weekend without booze :) it was fun, off in a wee touristy town in the mountains near us. Was a bit odd not to be drinking at all. I actually forgot for a second near the end of dinner and was going to pour myself a glass of wine before I realised what I was doing :O the bridesmaids were making fresh mojitos back in the hotel room, very hard to resist! the bride-to-be is an outdoorsy type so we got in 2 hikes and a run, it was gorgeous to be out there. I really noticed my balance has gone funny on the first hike, it was up a rocky path by a water fall and I was going to turn back but one of the girls took my bag for the uphill bit and my balance wasn't so bad then without it swinging of me. i'm not one for taking help from people easily, I'll have to adjust that bit of my brain for the next while!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Hi madeinamerica,
    I'm good, bump is really noticeable this week. I'm 16+2 now. Are you feeling full of energy again? Oh are you feeling the baby kick yet? I'm not , I thought I had a few little bubbles but it might be indigestion! :o

• Advertisement

Hi all its good to hear that some are feeling a bit better and more energetic.
    Im just short of 20weeks and i feel good.
    I work out once a week with personal trainer- the only thing that i spend on myself lately.
    I was there today. He concentrates a lot on core exercises .
    However just since yesterday im after ballooning.
    You would have to be blind not to notice.

Im feelin a few flutters but obviously thrres a lot more there but im kept goin i cant feel them.

This is the enjoyable time so it is. For once today i didnt have the urge to lie down !!

Advertisement