Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

FurBabyMomma: Sept 24th, Waterford Regional Hospital Domino's Scheme, possibly a girl but not sure ;-)

Omg I still have NOTHING done apart from mu deposit on buggy and Co-sleeper. Starting my antenatal classes next week so maybe that will be the wake up call!!!

Furbabymomma I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with nothing done! Our planning hasn't gone much beyond "yeah, we should talk about what stuff to get, sometime, tomorrow maybe". Except for the jogging stroller and car seat. My other half is all business about that and he's picked one out. We were very pleasantly surprised by the generosity of 2 couples we know here that have offered us the loan of some of their baby stuff, like a co-sleeper, crib, vibrating chair (which their baby loved), play center thing. Need to check the stuff out to see if it will work for us, but still it is great to know we can have some stuff ready for the baby.

Do any of ye feel a bit weird buying stuff for the baby too early? I do, which is most of the reason I haven't started getting things sorted yet. I know it is probabaly a hangup from the older generations, but it kinda feels like I'm counting my chickens, you know? we only have a 1 bed apt too, so anything I would get I'd be looking at for the next 2 months before bubs arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Furbabymomma I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with nothing done! Our planning hasn't gone much beyond "yeah, we should talk about what stuff to get, sometime, tomorrow maybe". Except for the jogging stroller and car seat. My other half is all business about that and he's picked one out. We were very pleasantly surprised by the generosity of 2 couples we know here that have offered us the loan of some of their baby stuff, like a co-sleeper, crib, vibrating chair (which their baby loved), play center thing. Need to check the stuff out to see if it will work for us, but still it is great to know we can have some stuff ready for the baby.

Do any of ye feel a bit weird buying stuff for the baby too early? I do, which is most of the reason I haven't started getting things sorted yet. I know it is probabaly a hangup from the older generations, but it kinda feels like I'm counting my chickens, you know? we only have a 1 bed apt too, so anything I would get I'd be looking at for the next 2 months before bubs arrives.

I know what you mean re buying stuff to early.I had felt very uncomfortable with reserving the buggy in April. I wouldn't have gotten so much so early, but money was an issue as my hubby has only gotten back last month to work after being unemployed for over a year, so I had to try to space out expenditure and buy when I found bargains or when I got my bonus in April.

Tbh people are very generous when you are expecting your first, so hopefully with hand me downs and presents you'll get a good bit and save money for the bigger bits you really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

73trix wrote: »
    Review of the due dates of the September 2014 Mams-to-Be:-

Hey, I've just glanced over the last few pages so not the whole thread so please add in if missing. I noticed that other groups add in what hospital and sex of baby if known and I also wondered about who are newbies like me and who are the "Pro's" ;) I think it's nice to see the group profile all together and especially "in order" for all that's worth!! ;)

Comeongethappy Sept 1st Holles St
    Monflat Sept 3rd Kilkenny

Made in America Sept 16th HUP USA, boy, Newbie
    ExcitedFM Sept 21st
    Karmella Sept 22nd, CUMH, 90% certain boy 2nd baby.
    Jelliebellie September 24th
    Karen O Sept 24th Wexford surprise
    FurBabyMomma: Sept 24th, Waterford Regional Hospital Domino's Scheme, possibly a girl but not sure
    73trix Sept 25th Wexford Surprise Newbie

Isolt September 27th in Holles St Surprise Newbie

Update! 3 babies on 24th September!! Good SE representation !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

+1 Practically nothing done either! Received a lend of a baby bath recently - first baby item in the house and also picked up a few bits from the ALDI baby day e.g. nappies, muslin sheets, small bits. That..is ..all!! We are considering re-jigging the bedrooms currently and STARTING to actually move beyond on-line research to actually physically looking at buggies! And 29 +2 now.... LOADS of time...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Yay to all the late nesters haha! Yeah I think of am still slightly wary of buying things. Plus I don't know what we'll get as presents and I don't want to waste money as I don't get paid maternity leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

There really is no problem with late nesting - as you say you don't know what you'll get as presents and people really are so generous!!

All you'll need for the first week or so is a few babygro's / vests nappies, Moses basket, and a car seat to bring baby home. And bottles / formula / steriliser if you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Karmella wrote: »
    There really is no problem with late nesting - as you say you don't know what you'll get as presents and people really are so generous!!

All you'll need for the first week or so is a few babygro's / vests nappies, Moses basket, and a car seat to bring baby home. And bottles / formula / steriliser if you need them.

I think it's easy to get carried away with the new arrival we have paid for everything over the last few months just because financially we could only do it in little bits! We were lucky that my mam and dad, OH mam and dad, my brother & sister all gave me €200 towards baby stuff we've spent about €1800 (with discounts) on everything cot, mattress, changer, pram, playmat, car seat, etc etc....it's mental!!! Probably could have got away with half the stuff until baby was 3 months but financially made more sense this way.

30 weeks today! Now the countdown really begins.... 7 weeks left at work.

30 weeks today! Now the countdown really begins.... 7 weeks left at work.

We are a day after each other Karmella! Single digits....good GOD! I have taken 2 weeks holiday and 2 weeks maternity leave so 6 weeks left in work and it can't come quick enough my back is breaking!I have a chair back support and a cushion at the moment at my desk :(

Nursery furniture being delivered tomorrow I am so excited to see it!:) It's nicer than my own bedroom furniture :p

pastry2010 wrote: »
    We are a day after each other Karmella! Single digits....good GOD! I have taken 2 weeks holiday and 2 weeks maternity leave so 6 weeks left in work and it can't come quick enough my back is breaking!I have a chair back support and a cushion at the moment at my desk :(

Nursery furniture being delivered tomorrow I am so excited to see it!:) It's nicer than my own bedroom furniture :p

Yeah I just cannot get comfortable at my desk either!!! My chair is fairly useless - even after the ergonomic assessment I had a couple months ago, and I keep meaning to bring in a cushion and I forget every day!

That's very exciting re nursery furniture! I never got any proper stuff - we just kindof re-used a tv stand/storage unit (same size as a chest of drawers) as a changing station and got a cot from in laws. I got a couple ottoman storage boxes and all the clothes went into these.

I'm trying to decide at the moment how to re-organise the bedrooms ... whether to do up the spare room and move my son in there and keep the boxroom as a 'nursery' type room, or will I keep him where he is for now and do up the spare room (this needs to be done anyway) and put baby in there in his cot after about 6 months. With a view to putting in bunk beds or something in another couple of years...

(as you can see I'm terribly productive at work! :o )

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Karmella;91268179
    (as you can see I'm terribly productive at work! :o )[/QUOTE]

Ah sure I am hopeless at work these days, it's like I actually don't care....counting every day down! Between being too hot, too uncomfortable, too full.....it's a miracle I'm still here!!hahaha;)

The concentration is gone out the window....hence why I am here having a moan!

I'm trying to train my replacement and Still helping the replacement for my colleague mat leave, and as of tomorrow I have 4 weeks of work left. I know what you mean about finding it hard to concentrate. Doesn't help that this week I've been worried about what has happened to my little man cat, just wishing he'll come home.

7 weeks till dday, but I have in my mind that I'll go over.

4 hours sleep...heartburn so bad, up since 3am,my boobs are so so itchy and I'm just too big awkward and hot! This has to be the worst part trying to juggle work and lack of sleep & appetite etc.....

4 hours sleep...heartburn so bad, up since 3am,my boobs are so so itchy and I'm just too big awkward and hot! This has to be the worst part trying to juggle work and lack of sleep & appetite etc.....

Yeah, the heartburn is back for me as well. I was taking galfer for iron, but it was killing me so my doc said I could go back to the pregnacare vits and just try to get more iron rich foods in my diet.

You can try rennie or galviscon or warm milk before bed, and sometimes sleeping proped up on the sofa helps. I often initially fall asleep on our couch and wake up at 1 to go to bed proper.

Re: itchy boobs - are you using stretch mark cream on your boobs as well? They are expanding just like the belly and a daily rub of cream can help. Having said that, if it's itchy from heat rash like I have between my cleavage (which has now turned into a wonderful combination of heat rash and spots) , I'm not sure what you can do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Pregnant or not I often get itchy skin in the heat. I put some pure (or almost pure) aloe Vera gel in the fridge and when I get home from work and take a shower rub it onto my skin afterwards.
    It's cooling, soothing, good for your skin and is a very natural product. It won't replace the full on moisturiser that is needed to combat the stretch marks on our skin but it feels so lovely. If you get it in a good sized health food store or on line it won't cost the earth either.

Thanks ladies! I'll try your ideas,One of those nights that just was never ending! On the way to work now, can't wait to get home and have a bath and sleep! X

After 2 awful days, I feel like a (relatively) new woman today. Was knackered on Monday, went for a relaxing wee swim after work but got caught in a thunderstorm on the way home and was drenched and late home. So any relaxation from the swim was gone. Woke up really early Tuesday like a hungover bear so decided a walk by the river before work would sort me out but on the way back I got a weird pain in my left side/back area. Had to stop a few times as it was a bit bad, although not massively sore was still worrisome and I was starting to feel ill again. Decided to go on home rather than into work and lay down on the apartment floor to try to ease the back. Woke up 2hrs later! Moved to the couch and slept there another bit till my other half woke me to eat lunch (he works from home). Dozed on the couch for another while then had a shower and went to our antenatal class. Still felt tired though. Weighed myself this morning and I've dropped nearly 2 lb since sat. Not good! Also think I was dehydrated so some of that could be water loss. Obvs been overdoing it but really didnt realise I was. Need to sleep more and do less, I think. And today I feel fine! Well, a 31 Weeks pregnant-version of fine! I must sleep on the floor more often! On a serious note though, I guess I wasnt really accepting that I can't do things as I used too :( better focus on the little one more!

How are ye finding slowing down recently? I feel like I've so much to do before he gets here, finish stuff in work, find a creche, sort out the apartment and stuff to buy, keep myself healthy, learn all about scary childbirth and babies, and not forget about my other half in the middle of it. and i'm falling behind on all of it. are any of ye getting a bit overwhelmed at this point? I kind of wish he was here already!

I know the feeling madeinamerica, I hate the feeling of being limited in what I do. I had my 30 week appointment yesterday and the doctor said baby has turned which I was so happy about. The only problem is the new position.has caused me wicked problems with my round ligaments as they stretch and adjust. Walking the dogs even with my support belt leaves me in agony. This morning I had to stop and sit on a footpath til I felt better.I'm hoping it'll be ok in a few days but for now I've conceded to walking slower and for 10 mins less a day. Really dreading I may have to stop though :-(

Yeah, starting to feel fed up now as well. I either have people treating me like I'm disabled or people not recognising that some things are far harder for me to do or that I'm exhausted.

Well ladies, how are we. I'm on my way to Dublin for a girls weekend and I can't wait!! Gonna be wrecked tho as I was awake most of the night between the storm and the dead heat. But I don't care! One of my friends is as pregnant as me so at least we can go at our own pace and leave the rest of them off.

• Advertisement

Yeah, starting to feel fed up now as well. I either have people treating me like I'm disabled or people not recognising that some things are far harder for me to do or that I'm exhausted.

Exactly how I feel! Everyone in work being painfully over protective and then my other half complaining when I don't 'pick up after myself':mad: Well he regretted saying that in an argument!!

Luas was out of action on the way home last night and it took me a 25minute walk, 2 buses and a luas to get home, to say I was sweating was an exaggeration, 3.5 hours later I got home...a journey that normally takes me 50 minutes. There was a poor girl killed by an oil tanker at Heuston St, so I feel terrible complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Well ladies, how are we. I'm on my way to Dublin for a girls weekend and I can't wait!! Gonna be wrecked tho as I was awake most of the night between the storm and the dead heat. But I don't care! One of my friends is as pregnant as me so at least we can go at our own pace and leave the rest of them off.

Brilliant! Enjoy your time here. What is planned re: eating and other entertainment?
    I was in Brussels last weekend (am 29 weeks now) and while it was far from a mad one I was shattered when I got home on Sunday night. Take it easy, nap when you want and enjoy your visit.

Exactly how I feel! Everyone in work being painfully over protective and then my other half complaining when I don't 'pick up after myself':mad: Well he regretted saying that in an argument!!

Luas was out of action on the way home last night and it took me a 25minute walk, 2 buses and a luas to get home, to say I was sweating was an exaggeration, 3.5 hours later I got home...a journey that normally takes me 50 minutes. There was a poor girl killed by an oil tanker at Heuston St, so I feel terrible complaining!

God that's awful pastry, that poor girl :-( deffo glad not to be in Dublin anymore, it's great not to have traffic stress in my life.

Do find people are very protective, they have your best interests at heart but sometimes they can take it too far. That said, I'm sure I'll appreciate it in my last month :-)

I know the feeling madeinamerica, I hate the feeling of being limited in what I do. I had my 30 week appointment yesterday and the doctor said baby has turned which I was so happy about. The only problem is the new position.has caused me wicked problems with my round ligaments as they stretch and adjust. Walking the dogs even with my support belt leaves me in agony. This morning I had to stop and sit on a footpath til I felt better.I'm hoping it'll be ok in a few days but for now I've conceded to walking slower and for 10 mins less a day. Really dreading I may have to stop though :-(

Great that your baby has turned! Hope your body adjusts soon and the round ligament pain goes away, it is a bitch. I've heard walking and moving is great for helping baby turn, all yr walking so far must have helped.

God that was some ordeal, even if you weren't preggers!

Have a brilliant time! Nice that you'll have a pregnancy buddy there too. Sure a change can be as good as a rest :)

Anyone watching Sky Living, it's called 9 months later....dear god I'm stressed watching it!!

Trying not to watch too much pregnancy related programmes, watched a very difficult episode of one every minute and told myself I'd stop before driving myself crazy with worry.

I have my antenatal class tomorrow, hope it will be good!

Trying not to watch too much pregnancy related programmes, watched a very difficult episode of one every minute and told myself I'd stop before driving myself crazy with worry.

I have my antenatal class tomorrow, hope it will be good!

I couldn't watch one born every minute :( This one isn't about childbirth it's basically when they all bring the baby home and how the couples relationship changes etc it's very real life. I feel for them and then I thought that's going to be me in a few weeks ahhhhhh! I really haven't focused my attention onto what actually happens when you bring it home (that sounds really bad!) but these women go through the troubles of starting to breast feed, how their OH helps out, when the OH goes back to work how it changes again it's actually good to see if you get a chance especially first timers like me!!

Good luck in your antenatal! Is it all day course?

• Advertisement

I couldn't watch one born every minute :( This one isn't about childbirth it's basically when they all bring the baby home and how the couples relationship changes etc it's very real life. I feel for them and then I thought that's going to be me in a few weeks ahhhhhh! I really haven't focused my attention onto what actually happens when you bring it home (that sounds really bad!) but these women go through the troubles of starting to breast feed, how their OH helps out, when the OH goes back to work how it changes again it's actually good to see if you get a chance especially first timers like me!!

Good luck in your antenatal! Is it all day course?

Yeah it was an all day course. The midwife giving it was brilliant, answered a lot of questions and got the men involved as well. We then had a talk from a pediatrician and baby first aid. Very tired now, but was definitely worth it

Advertisement