Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Often with coworkers or aquiatances, this is the only gift you'll get. However with closer family and friends, you'll often get another gift when they are born, even if it's just a little outfit or teddy.

Also, traditionally showers are only given on your first baby, as you are expected to have some bits saved for your second and not need as much. However, one of my cousins in the states threw a shower for her friends third baby, so not sure if that is changing as well!

Ah I was wondering they are not really an irish thing are they

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Often with coworkers or aquiatances, this is the only gift you'll get. However with closer family and friends, you'll often get another gift when they are born, even if it's just a little outfit or teddy.

Also, traditionally showers are only given on your first baby, as you are expected to have some bits saved for your second and not need as much. However, one of my cousins in the states threw a shower for her friends third baby, so not sure if that is changing as well!

Ah, I wasn't sure about this either. For my friend's shower in December that I missed, I sent the host a large-ish gift from the registry and some of the game things she rrquested (future birthday cards for the baby, whicb was nice). Then when the baby was born I felt very weird not bringing anything with me on the first visit so I got some small things and flowers. Felt like I was over doing it a bit, but I couldn't go empty handed! I've been kinda surprised by the cultural differences I've found here in general, I didn't think there would be that much different between Ire and US but there is. Like I didn't know ye'd have bridal showers too!

Sorry, I had assumed your hubby was American when you were talking about the Irish baby names! His response to you about people not knowing the spelling just sounded very American.

Shower was lovely, was happy not to have the games. I got so much my mom has to bring some when they come over after the baby is born! I'm well used to it here by now, been here for over 10 yrs. Tbh I had been shocked when I was getting married, I had expected my in laws to throw a bridal shower, and they had expected me to invite them to my hen which you wouldn't do in the states! So learned all about it back then! Though baby showers are starting to become a lot more popular here now, my Irish sister in law had 2, one with college friends and one with her normal crowd!

No, he's just an ignorant paddy! He was in the dog house for a few days but we've got it sorted out now :)

It can be dodgy navigating cultural differences alright. The line 'i'm foreign, I know nothing!' works most of the time.

You must have started a trend with baby showers in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Hi ladies

haven't posted in a while as I've been traveling. Glad to hear all is well. My due date is sept 16th, but i'm trying to convince myself it is the 23rd as i'm sure I'll go over!

Re the movement, yeah it gets me worrying too if I haven't felt anything for a while. I think i'm getting more worried as time goes on. At our ante natal class on Tuesday the mid wife said the same, drink something like orange juice and lie quietly on your left for a while. Also, she said we can count for 10 movements in 2 hrs. But I think I'd prefer drinking the juice, much quicker results.

Had a bit of a worry myself lately. I found that I was leaking a tiny bit in the last week but assumed it was just the start of a leaky bladder. At the class on Tuesday, it was one of the things the midwife mentioned and she recommended to get it checked out if it happened, as it might be fluid leaking rather than just pee. Happened again yesterday evening, so I went to my ob clinic this morning and asked for a nurse. Lucky for me I got seen within about 15 min and she checked me all out down there, took some samples and baby's heart rate. All looked good, thankfully. She couldn't say what it was, but it isn't amniotic fluid and there isn't an infection. So I guess it was probably just pee! I better do those kegels...

Thank god it's not just me! Was in the Coombe for 5 hours last week, went to the toilet on my lunch break and my underwear was wet, I called midwife and because the little fella was quiet that day they told me to come straight in but 4 doctors were in emergency c-sections for hours and we ended up waiting so long, was eventually checked and they said the same thing that cervix was closed and fluid on scan looked fine, it's happened again yest morning, feel like I'm being a paranoid Polly because I could have sworn it wasn't pee!! It's totally clear it's a strange one! 28 weeks yesterday-third trimester here I come!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

What's the story with driving while pregnant, few people said that in the third trimester your not covered, seems a bit harsh, I thought it was only if you had a c section your not allowed to drive

• Advertisement

What's the story with driving while pregnant, few people said that in the third trimester your not covered, seems a bit harsh, I thought it was only if you had a c section your not allowed to drive

I checked with my insurance company and they said it's fine but if I have a c-section it's invalid for 2 weeks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I was reading what to expect, and they advised for any leakage, to have a whiff of your panties. If you smell ammonia, then it's most likely urine. If it smells slightly sweet, ring the midwife as it could be amniotic fluid.

Not the most pleasant thing to do, but it might save you worry / hassle.

It's hard to tell you think you can smell one thing and then you get paranoid and think what if it is something I should go back into hospital with, I'm sure we're all going through similar worries about different things.
    I've noticed my appetite has decreased as well since the second trimester, anyone else?

Ordered all my furniture for nursery should arrive next week, so excited to get everything together!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Kicks getting stronger all the time. Get the odd one that's so strong it takes me quite by surprise! Up til now, bubs was always hanging out over the the right side of the bump but he finally moved over to the left side and middle in last day or two. One time i thought I could feel the outline of the baby, felt soo odd, like I could feel a limb or something! My OH and I were just about to go to sleep but I was so blown away by this that I had to talk about it for another 20mins Wouldn't you love to have a little peep hole to look through and see the gymnastics! I had a very dull training day today but bub's kicks kept me nicely distracted and entertained and got me thro'. Was great! :D

I have just realized that I have only 10 weeks left in work, official finish date tomor 10 weeks!:D :eek: :D :eek: :D

Hope everyone's well. :)

73trix wrote: »
    Kicks getting stronger all the time. Get the odd one that's so strong it takes me quite by surprise! Up til now, bubs was always hanging out over the the right side of the bump but he finally moved over to the left side and middle in last day or two. One time i thought I could feel the outline of the baby, felt soo odd, like I could feel a limb or something! My OH and I were just about to go to sleep but I was so blown away by this that I had to talk about it for another 20mins Wouldn't you love to have a little peep hole to look through and see the gymnastics! I had a very dull training day today but bub's kicks kept me nicely distracted and entertained and got me thro'. Was great! :D

I have just realized that I have only 10 weeks left in work, official finish date tomor 10 weeks!:D :eek: :D :eek: :D

Hope everyone's well. :)

Love the kicks!! Mine has been totally over on my right side too since a bump appeared, sometimes to the middle but never on the left. Felt a bit weird about it so I'm delighted to hear I'm not alone in my lopsidedness!

+1 on the peep hole - more like a window in an oven ;)

I love that lying-in-bed-before-sleep time with bubs as he moves around lots then. Not so much kicking, more swooshing around. My other half puts his hand on the bump, nice connection between the three of us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

pastry2010 wrote: »
    I checked with my insurance company and they said it's fine but if I have a c-section it's invalid for 2 weeks;)

I think they don't recommend you to drive. I've never heard anything about not driving in.third trimester that's just madness. I'd love to have that excuse and get a chauffeur to ferry me around.

Anyways after a section the last thing you want to do is drive. Well in my opinion anyways. I was 5.weeks n 6 days on.second.
    However I've heard stories of women going back driving after 2 weeks. Depends on.the individual and their recovery rate.

My sister in law had twins planned c s... And was driving 2 weeks later. ...

Belated happy 4th July, comeongethappy! Hope you've fun celebrating, nice long weekend :)

Belated happy 4th July, comeongethappy! Hope you've fun celebrating, nice long weekend :)

Happy belated 4th of July to you too madeinamerica! Hope you were able to relax out of the heat :-)

Happy belated 4th of July to you too madeinamerica! Hope you were able to relax out of the heat :-)

Thanks! The pregnancy goddesses were good to me! Temp dropped after a thunderstorm on Thursday and we'd a refreshing 22C/70F with a breeze yesterday. So I could enjoy the city's outdoor celebrations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Karen_O_

Hi ladies, this is my first time posting but I have been popping into the thread over the last while. I'm single and pregnant for the first time my edd is the 24th September. I'm so excited it's getting so close now :-)

Karen_O_ wrote: »
    Hi ladies, this is my first time posting but I have been popping into the thread over the last while. I'm single and pregnant for the first time my edd is the 24th September. I'm so excited it's getting so close now :-)

Congrats and welcome to the thread Karen! Sept 24th is a great date, its my birthday! Hope all is going well for you.

Welcome Karen O! Congratulations I am due the 21st so just on front of you :)

Welcome aboard Karen. I'm 25th day after you! Hope your pregnancy has been going well for you.

thanks everyone!! Congratulations to you all as well. Everything has been great so far, bit of heartburn today but that's normal.

Congrats and welcome Karen! I hear you with the heartburn, I had it with a vengeance the 1st trimester and it's reared it's head again. I am due 1st Sept, hopefully won't go too far over!

• Advertisement

Review of the due dates of the September 2014 Mams-to-Be:-

Hey, I've just glanced over the last few pages so not the whole thread so please add in if missing. I noticed that other groups add in what hospital and sex of baby if known and I also wondered about who are newbies like me and who are the "Pro's" ;) I think it's nice to see the group profile all together and especially "in order" for all that's worth!! ;)

Comeongethappy Sept 1st Holles St
    Monflat Sept 3rd Kilkenny

Made in America Sept 16th HUP USA, boy, Newbie
    ExcitedFM Sept 21st
    Karmella Sept 22nd, CUMH, 90% certain boy 2nd baby.
    Jelliebellie September 24th
    Karen O Sept 24th
    73trix Sept 25th Wexford Surprise Newbie

Isolt September 27th in Holles St

73trix wrote: »
    Review of the due dates of the September 2014 Mams-to-Be:-

Hey, I've just glanced over the last few pages so not the whole thread so please add in if missing. I noticed that other groups add in what hospital and sex of baby if known and I also wondered about who are newbies like me and who are the "Pro's" ;) I think it's nice to see the group profile all together and especially "in order" for all that's worth!! ;)

Comeongethappy Sept 1st Holles St
    Monflat Sept 3rd Kilkenny

Made in America Sept 16th, HUP USA, boy, Newbie
    ExcitedFM Sept 21st
    Karmella Sept 22nd,
    Jelliebellie September 24th
    Karen O Sept 24th
    73trix Sept 25th Wexford Surprise Newbie

Isolt September 27th in Holles St

Thanks 73trix.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Karmella 22 Sept, CUMH, 90% certain boy ;) 2nd baby.

Karen_O_ 24th September surprise wexford

Girls I went up to the attic last night to rummage around and look for clothes and things for baby - just stuff that will be needed straight away.

Well I never realised just how mad I went buying babygros and vests for the first 6 months! I found loads that were never even worn, or maybe just worn once. Have put all the 0-3 mth stuff in the wash anyway so that's one job done.

Getting a moses basket and a few other bits n bobs from a friend at the weekend.

Was trying to take the cover off the car seat so I could wash it and I ended up breaking a bit of the safety foam at the head rest part - so annoyed! And I still didn't even get the cover completely off!! I'm not sure if the seat is even safe to use anymore now (the bit that broke is for shock absorbing in case of impact). To be fair it is about 7-8 years old because we bought it 2nd hand (got a whole bugaboo travel system and the maxi cosi seat & base together). Was looking around on adverts to see can I get the same seat type and there are a few for sale for a good price, so it might not be too bad.

I'm really over being pregnant now, still have 7 weeks of work left and it feels like it'll take forever. Hitting the 30 week mark on Monday, so that's the start of the final countdown.

Has anyone looked into packing a bag or anything like that yet? I'm making a list of what I need, but haven't exactly done anything about it. I really should get my plan into gear because I have to work out what to do with my son aswell! I'm an awful procrastinator though.

I didn't get much of a nesting buzz last time round but I do have a lot of things that I want to do this time. They are really just jobs like clearing out old furniture and rubbish from the attic and garden, which would need to be done anyway, not so much setting up of a new room for baby or for son to move into. I figure baby is going to be in with me for 6 months anyway, so there's plenty time to come up with a plan.

Karmella wrote: »
    Girls I went up to the attic last night to rummage around and look for clothes and things for baby - just stuff that will be needed straight away.

Well I never realised just how mad I went buying babygros and vests for the first 6 months! I found loads that were never even worn, or maybe just worn once. Have put all the 0-3 mth stuff in the wash anyway so that's one job done.

Getting a moses basket and a few other bits n bobs from a friend at the weekend.

Was trying to take the cover off the car seat so I could wash it and I ended up breaking a bit of the safety foam at the head rest part - so annoyed! And I still didn't even get the cover completely off!! I'm not sure if the seat is even safe to use anymore now (the bit that broke is for shock absorbing in case of impact). To be fair it is about 7-8 years old because we bought it 2nd hand (got a whole bugaboo travel system and the maxi cosi seat & base together). Was looking around on adverts to see can I get the same seat type and there are a few for sale for a good price, so it might not be too bad.

I'm really over being pregnant now, still have 7 weeks of work left and it feels like it'll take forever. Hitting the 30 week mark on Monday, so that's the start of the final countdown.

Has anyone looked into packing a bag or anything like that yet? I'm making a list of what I need, but haven't exactly done anything about it. I really should get my plan into gear because I have to work out what to do with my son aswell! I'm an awful procrastinator though.

I didn't get much of a nesting buzz last time round but I do have a lot of things that I want to do this time. They are really just jobs like clearing out old furniture and rubbish from the attic and garden, which would need to be done anyway, not so much setting up of a new room for baby or for son to move into. I figure baby is going to be in with me for 6 months anyway, so there's plenty time to come up with a plan.

I am the same time as you and the antenatal classes told me to pack at around 34 weeks......but I think i'll pack sooner, better safe than sorry!

Do you think you'll go sooner??

pastry2010 wrote: »
    I am the same time as you and the antenatal classes told me to pack at around 34 weeks......but I think i'll pack sooner, better safe than sorry!

Do you think you'll go sooner??

I'm not sure. I went nearly a week early with my son so who knows really! I wasn't very prepared last time at all as a result! I got caught out because I started my mat leave just before Christmas and so spent those few weeks organising for Christmas, telling myself I'd loads of time after - due date wasn't til 10th January. But my waters broke the morning of the 4th! It had also been really icy so didn't get out much to get the last few things. I think I had the bag kinda packed but not really and the house was in a total state, hadn't really unpacked any of the stuff I'd bought! When we got home from the hospital I didn't really know where anything was and had no food in the house! Ah sure, nothing like a baptism of fire :D

I haven't packed my bag yet, but I think I have all my bits. The only problem is work is being done on the house at the moment (moving wall from tiny bathroom into baby's room and gutting both, on top of a kitchen extension), so I have no where to put the baby's clothes. Bags are piled in the corner of our bedroom at the moment, and I haven't washed them yet as there is a lot of dust. I really want to start nesting soon, just want everything to be ready for our little man!

Was at the doc today, and I went up half a stone in 4 weeks :o ! I didn't think I was eating loads or large portions, but I will really have to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Great idea 73trix, thanks for doing that! I am a newbie too and this baby's gender is a surprise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

FurBabyMomma: Sept 24th, Waterford Regional Hospital Domino's Scheme, possibly a girl but not sure ;-)

Omg I still have NOTHING done apart from mu deposit on buggy and Co-sleeper. Starting my antenatal classes next week so maybe that will be the wake up call!!!

Advertisement