Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Great to hear people are feeling better. I feel great, now. Nearly 16wks. Did a 10mile walk along the beaches yesterday. Didn't set out to do that distance but was feeling so good, I kept going. My OH was struggling a bit towards the end. Gave him quite the slagging, falling behind the pregnant lady!

No new symptoms at all. Loving it all now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Isolt wrote: »
    Hi madeinamerica,
    I'm good, bump is really noticeable this week. I'm 16+2 now. Are you feeling full of energy again? Oh are you feeling the baby kick yet? I'm not , I thought I had a few little bubbles but it might be indigestion! :o

Yeah, I've had a few little bubbles alright in the past few days and I think it might be bubs! Very exciting :D Only feel it when I sit down. It seems kind of inside and below my belly button. I felt a bit bad telling my other half that I could feel it inside, as you can't feel it on the outside yet so he is missing out :( Not long till he can feel them too, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Hi ladies, 17 weeks today. Great to hear you're all keeping well and getting some energy back. Very impressed with all you're activities too, I think walking is the only thing keeping me sane :-)

I ate a grapefruit yesterday and the bubbles were going nuts afterwards! either baby really likes grapefruit or hates it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I ate a grapefruit yesterday and the bubbles were going nuts afterwards! either baby really likes grapefruit or hates it :)

Ah tis a lovely feelin
    Im.20 weeks now n last weekend i felt i just ballooned overnight up until that you could not tell. Now its so obvious and i can feel my stretch marks tinglin......
    Aaaah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I am 16+4 and I'm not sure if I'm feeling baby or not. It's deffo not a regular feeling anyway. Are you girls all feeling movement now?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭d4b

Hey girls. Sorry I haven't been on in ages
    I am 16+3 and think ive had movement the last 2 days its quite a strange feeling :-) like bubbles bursting lol. Hope everyone doing ok. The wees are flying by thank god xx

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭d4b

Hey furbabymomma. I am kind of in the same boat as yourself with the weight and food issues. It is one of my big concerns going into pregnancy. At 5'7" I'm not massively tall but I am a bit self conscious of being taller than most other women, and when I've a bit of weight on I feel like an elephant. So I'm kind of dreading getting bigger; I'll be no dainty pregnant lady! On the food side of things, I am worried about that too. I would comfort/binge eat now and again, especially if under stress. I used to smoke for a few years in college and I think I eat now to replace the smoking when stressed!

Up until now I've had no stomach for food so I've been eating very healthy and not too much. But once my appetite comes back I'm worried that it will be very hard to stop myself pigging out at times. I know there is all the talk about not getting too heavy so you won't have post-pregnancy weight and easier labour etc but while I'm worried about myself, what I hope will keep me away from food is the thought of what it will do to the baby. I don't want to scare you here but there are real issues that can happen with a bad diet in pregnancy. This is not medical advice, just a few points on what info is out there. Look away now if you don't want to know :).

Bigger babies (bigger than 9 pounds at birth I think), from gestational diabetes or just poor maternal diet, have a higher risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease when they grow up.
    A high fat maternal diet (pretty much our 'western' diet) can affect certain brain development and lead to issues with attention and appetite/food behaviour. I'm sure there are other ones too, these are just the ones I know about. Effects like these are observed in people and the causes behind them are being worked out in animal studies. It is starting to get a lot of attention as there are more pregnant women who are overweight nowadays. Something like over 50% of pregnant women :eek: I've put a few refs below for the two points.

So, when I am absolutely dying for a load of chocolate I hope I'll remember some of this. I don't want to set my poor little mite up for a life of being unhealthy and not being able to stop eating either. One trick I was hoping to fool myself with was trying to think of it as feeding a little baby. Would I feed a little new born baby a whole pack of biscuits? Kinda turns me off. Having said all that, it was free cone day at the Ben & Jerry's shop in my work building yesterday and I went back for seconds rolleyes.png

Refs
    Large for gestational age:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fetal-macrosomia/basics/complications/con-20035423
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15741354

maternal high fat diet or obesity and neural development:
    A summary from a researcher on this: https://www.med.upenn.edu/apps/faculty/index.php/g5455356/p8127438
    http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v39/n4/full/npp2013193a.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23924601

Sweet lord this has put the fear of god in me! I too am 5'7 and by no means skinny and aint nothin wrong with my appetite. Trying to be as good as I can. Guess ill be skipping my tea lol .

16 weeks today. No sign of movement yet but can't wait. Lucky you who have that already!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I'm 17 weeks and not really feeling much, I suppose it is that kinda bubbly feeling alright occasionally. But I didn't feel much last time until 20 weeks at least if I recall. Don't let it worry you if you can't feel it, it used to bug me when people kept asking, that eventually I used to say yeah just to shut them up :)

I was at the gp last Friday and she found the heartbeat which was cool :) it was gas cos I had my 3yr old with me and his face at the noise coming from the Doppler was hilarious! He's still pretty clueless, I told him that mommy had a baby growing in her belly and he was saying I have baby in my belly too?! :)

Finally have energy too yippee! Have Friday off and planning to do a big big clear out and clean up of the house. Basically catching up on months of housework and also clearing out a lot of my husbands stuff. He has moved into his own place finally. Well he'll be packing up and clearing out and I will just clean up after. It will be sad, but therapeutic too I think... Spending Easter with my family and friends then... Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

d4b wrote: »
    Sweet lord this has put the fear of god in me! I too am 5'7 and by no means skinny and aint nothin wrong with my appetite. Trying to be as good as I can. Guess ill be skipping my tea lol .

Sorry ladies, didn't mean to put the wind up ya :/

There are a couple of labs on my floor that work on this so I hear about it a lot in work but not much out in the real world. It looks like it will be the next big issue with pregnancy in the future, like smoking was a few years ago, as people are getting heavier in general.

I'll shut up now and I'll tone it down a bit in future :)

Omg I deffo overindulged over Easter, you can tell I'm pregnant now! Didn't help that I've been eating Easter eggs the last fortnight :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

73trix wrote: »
    16 weeks today. No sign of movement yet but can't wait. Lucky you who have that already!

Me neither and I am absolutely dying to feel the baby move. I'm 16+4 today so getting close to the time when I will.
    I went on a big walk yesterday and thought I felt something once or twice but that might just have been wishful thinking---actually it must have been because I haven't felt anything since. :(

I started feeling something at 17 weeks. You wouldn't define it as movement as such, more like a little flutter or an internal tickle as I've been calling it. It only happens in the evening when I'm sitting still on the couch, particularly if I've just eaten. I first felt it after I got my hands on some sour vegetarian jelly beans :-) But my friend told me she felt nothing til 23 weeks first time around so everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I started feeling something at 17 weeks. You wouldn't define it as movement as such, more like a little flutter or an internal tickle as I've been calling it. It only happens in the evening when I'm sitting still on the couch, particularly if I've just eaten. I first felt it after I got my hands on some sour vegetarian jelly beans :-) But my friend told me she felt nothing til 23 weeks first time around so everyone is different.

But 23 weeks seems forever away:o:D

But 23 weeks seems forever away:o:D

Lol it sure does. I'm feeling like the 21 week scan will never come!

Lol it sure does. I'm feeling like the 21 week scan will never come!
    Me too, mines on May 14th and I actually feel like I'm losing my mind sometimes. Like 'howl at the moon' losing my mind... :o

Hi ladies, how are we all doing? I'll be 19 weeks on Monday, practically half way yippee!! I have to say I'm feeling great at the moment, so much energy!

Went out last night for a lovely meal with 3 friends, and today am getting my hair done, and actually have a night out tonight aswell! Leaving drinks for a guy at work. My son is with his dad since yesterday evening so I'm having a lovely break for myself. Felt like I got no rest last weekend because I did so much spring cleaning and also had no lie in. Still lazing in bed now this morning which is almost unheard of!

My son is starting to get clued in about baby now, he calls it his baby and he wants to share things like treats with baby. He keeps saying he wants the baby to come out of my belly, probably so he can see it and play with it. :). I laugh and say I want the baby to come out now too, but we have to wait another little while until it grows a bit. I've got a grand bump now, my neighbour actually asked me was I pregnant the other day! She'd be well clued in though, has a load of grandchildren and is a childminder. People at work are afraid to ask me I think, I've been wearing fairly obvious maternity bump hugging clothes and they still say nothing, I find it quite amusing. :)

Anyone any inklings re gender? I feel like its another boy ... Though I would love to have a girl. Too many men and boys in my life!

Hi Karmella, great to hear you're in top form ☺ I have to say I'm hoping for a girl but feeling like it's a boy, but sure who's to know? Cannot WAIT for my scan in 3 weeks. Gonna get a 3D scan too later in the pregnancy just to make sure they got it right the first time lol

Hey ladies how are ye all doing? I've just hit the 20 week mark, can't believe how fast the first half has gone! In Feb it felt like the first trimester would never end.

Had our 19 wk general appointment last week with the Ob, all fine except for this rash I've had on my right hand and both shins. Ob recommended referral to a dermatologist. Taking forever to get an appt and it is nearly gone by now so I'm not sure if I'll bother going to the derma after all. Anyone else get odd skin issues? I've also gone quite spotty and all my skin care stuff that works has salicylic acid in it, which I found out recently I shouldn't use anymore :(

Have ye had the big anatomy scan yet? Are ye finding out the sex? On Tuesday we had the big scan which turned out to be a big event.

First - the sex. Before hand we were debating whether we'd find out the sex or not. I'd felt that I don't mind waiting and I've no strong feelings either way, but hubby wanted to know. He has said from the start he would like a girl and wants to find out early so he can adjust if it is a boy. But then, after all that, in the waiting room before hand he was having second thoughts, saying he'll find out but as I don't really want to know that I should wait. Eh, no! If he knows and I don't, that'll be annoying and also a difference between us. So when the nurse asked during the scan, I said yes we want to know. We are having a boy! Got a great shot of the family jewels :D Looked over at hubby and he was trying to smile but didn't look over the moon. He's been pretty quiet and disappointed since then about it, which is unlike him to get upset about anything. I don't really know what to say to him to help him, apart from saying positive things about having son which don't seem to help. He feels that a son will be more distant than a daughter would be, perhaps that is a reflection of his own family life. 'Gender disappointment' seems to be a common thing for parents-to-be, going by a quick google. Now, he is thinking that it would have been better for him to wait till the baby arrived, because at least when the baby is here you have your own fabulous little baby in your arms and that would overcome any feelings about the sex. Hindsight is a great thing. I'm sure he'll be ok and will love his son when he arrives, I just feel a bit sad for him at the moment. I'm glad that we both know though, rather than just him. At least I can try to help him a little, rather than him just being by himself with his disappointment.

second - the kidneys. So it seems little yankee has slightly larger than normal kidneys. They are measuring between 4 and 5 when they should be max 4. The doc came in after the scans and gave us a good spiel about what it was and what it meant. Apparently, it is an enlargement due to more fluid in the kidneys, it is quite common at about 20 weeks, more common in boys. Ours is on the milder end of the scale (7 would be high). Could be due to narrow tubes or a block in one of the tubes downstream of the kidneys, but cannot tell from the scans. A good thing is that he has normal amount of amniotic fluid, which is a sign of how the kidneys are doing, so that is good. Of those with larger kidneys, most will resolve themselves before birth with about 5% having issues after birth. Risks after birth would be kidney infections or narrow plumbing which can be dealt with by minor surgery. We've been rescheduled for another scan to check on them at 32 weeks to see if they've gone down a bit. There is nothing we cant do in the meantime and he said that it is not due to anything we might have done. The doc was very keen to emphasis that it usually goes away and that there is no need to worry at the moment. He said a lot of people freak out when they hear it, which is totally understandable. I was pretty ok about the whole thing as my friend who had her son 9 weeks ago in the same hospital also had this kidney thing. They didn't tell anyone at the time, but after the 32 week scan she told me that they were really freaked out and worried for the 12 weeks between scans but then all was clear and he was fine. Her husband said he nearly wished they hadn't been told at the 20 wk scan, as it was such a common thing and it usually goes away by itself so it really gave them unnecessary stress but they didn't really know that at the time and were worried for 12 weeks that he might need surgery or something. So, I'll try to put it out of my mind till the 32 wk scan. Hubby was fine about the kidney thing, I think he was more shocked about him being a boy. A boy with dodgy boy-kidneys! Pah! :D

We had decided beforehand not to tell anyone about the sex, to keep that for ourselves. And I think it is best to keep the kidney thing quiet too for now. I don't see any point in worrying our families when all might be just fine.

Phew that was a long one! Glad of the anonymity here to be able to post about it :)

• Advertisement

First off - congrats on the boy! (I'd have said the same for girl lol). That was interesting to hear your hubby's reaction. I have a 20 week appointment on Tuesday and would be very interested to see if they can tell either way. But I don't know if the scan I have will be particularly detailed (if any). I think the way it works on the public system now is that you have to be referred for an anomaly scan, they don't do it for everyone. At my booking appointment the midwife referred me for one (due to a congenital abnormality that I was born with - even though I know it's not hereditary, it was just one of those things) so I may or may not get one, don't know!

Second, sounds like the kidney issue may be nothing to worry about, but good that they will keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed that all will be well with your little man :)

Also my skin allergies have been flaring up like mad the last few weeks and I rang my doc today and she said no to antihistamines which is a total drag as hay fever is going to rear it's ugly head soon. Grrrr.

Congratulations on your baby boy, I'm sure it must be super exciting despite the hiccups of your hubby and his kidneys. But I'd say both things will resolve themselves soon enough :)

I have to say unfortunately I'd be like your husband and that's due to family issues too. But I'm sure as soon as the baby is born there will be a love like no other and all disappointment will feel silly and be forgotten x

ugghh I've had shooting pains down below literally all day. I had this before & think it was a growth spurt. This pregnancy thing can be painful!!

Isolt wrote: »
    ugghh I've had shooting pains down below literally all day. I had this before & think it was a growth spurt. This pregnancy thing can be painful!!

Me too, s'times. Do these "growing pains" last all the pregnancy? Currently 18+3.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Haven't been on in a while good to see everyone that I was talking to at the start getting on well with their pregnancies! Things greatly improved for me after 16 weeks or so. Energy, been able to eat again, not to mention my appetite between the sheets (TMI😂) I'm 20 weeks today! Big scan 12th May and we decided to find but not tell anyone hope I'm able to keep it a secret and not blurt it out! We are easy either way we've picked a few names but disagreeing on a few and my other half doesn't like my favourite! Arghhhh! Has anyone started buying stuff? I've picked my pram and cot and putting down a deposit after our big scan on a list of things we need from Eurobaby.

Anyway all good here, love reading your posts ladies!💕

Thanks for your kind replies Karmella and FurBabyMomma! I'm sure we will be grand and all loved up when the little fella arrives :)

Have ye found some nice maternity clothes? I went shopping for my first maternity clothes on Saturday. My jeans were getting a bit uncomfortable as my bump just seemed to pop out of nowhere in the last week and the combinations of clothes that fit were looking a bit odd (thankfully it doesn't matter what I wear to work). Tried a few shops but there's no way I'm paying 80 - 100 quid for a top or jeans I'll only wear a few months. I'd love to have a Pennys or Dunnes here now! I found Old Navy though, and nearly bought the maternity section. Got a few nice maternity tops, jeans, tunicy-dresses and a couple of sun dresses. TBH, I was feeling kinda pudgy and frumpy and out of sorts for the last week or so in my regular clothes, but after finding some nice clothes that fit me and fit the bump I feel so much more positive about the bump and myself, and ready for it to get bigger! :)

Have ye found some nice maternity clothes? I went shopping for my first maternity clothes on Saturday. My jeans were getting a bit uncomfortable as my bump just seemed to pop out of nowhere in the last week and the combinations of clothes that fit were looking a bit odd (thankfully it doesn't matter what I wear to work). Tried a few shops but there's no way I'm paying 80 - 100 quid for a top or jeans I'll only wear a few months. I'd love to have a Pennys or Dunnes here now! I found Old Navy though, and nearly bought the maternity section. Got a few nice maternity tops, jeans, tunicy-dresses and a couple of sun dresses. TBH, I was feeling kinda pudgy and frumpy and out of sorts for the last week or so in my regular clothes, but after finding some nice clothes that fit me and fit the bump I feel so much more positive about the bump and myself, and ready for it to get bigger! :)

That's great that you found someplace reasonable! It's a killer to spend money on clothes that you are potentially only going to get a few months out of. However, I'm doing ok at the mo as thankfully the jeans I bought last time fit me again! I got 3 pairs in h&m and 2 skirts and so far are working out fine. However as my last baby was a winter pregnancy some of the clothes I bought won't suit when I'm huge and it's summer! But on the plus side, it's summer so can wear leggings and dresses so should be ok hopefully! I have a load of maxi / sun dresses. Not sure how suitable they'll be for the office but I'll make it work somehow.

It makes a huge difference when you get the proper 'bump' clothes because you finally can stop feeling frumpy :)

Anyway, I'm halfway there now 20 weeks!! I had an antenatal today, total bore. CUMH is so fricking busy!! I was there for 3.5 hrs. I thought I was doing very well to be seen by the midwife after about 20 minutes, but then had to wait a little bit to get bloods taken (for iron levels), so that was all done and then I was waiting over an hour and a half to be seen by the doctor!!!!! And that consult lasted all of 5 minutes. Very quick scan only didn't see much. But have been referred for an anatomy scan so I'd say that's why which is fair enough.

Funny thing is they said that there wasn't any record of the referral so they organised it today and said that I'd get an appointment in the post for a scan in the next 3 weeks. Grand I thought, that's perfect. Then I got home today and found not 1 but 2 letters of appointments for anatomy scans that were sent out on the 1st May. One for this Friday, and one for next Friday! The letters were printed within minutes of each other and posted in separate envelopes!! :-) methinks they are a tad disorganised. Anyway I'll just give them a call in the morning and find out what's going on.

Another positive though was that my blood pressure was normal - the lowest reading I've had in years so I was really happy with that. And also they said that they'd be happy enough if I attended the satellite midwives clinic next time (@ 32 & 36 weeks), so at least I won't have the 3 hr appointments, and it's much closer to my house too.

So good day all round despite the boring wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

I got a few pairs online on New Look, the elastic one that goes over your bump, they are so comfy! I've got a few long tank tops from Dunnes that go under everything, some of baggy tops still for but bought a few tops again in New Look to keep me going in work, not going to mad on clothes.

• Advertisement

I think it's so hard to get nice maternity clothes, I'm getting my sister to send over some from the States.

Have an anomaly scan at 21 weeks on Thursday. Should I drink lots of water before this one too or does that only apply to the dating scan???

Advertisement