Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

No need for a full bladder at this stage furbabymama as your uterus would be slightly above your bellybutton at this stage! My scan is Wednesday, fingers crossed for us both!!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Best of luck with your scans ladies ... I've mine on Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Ooh exciting week for all of us! Good luck to you too Karmella!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Enjoy your scans, ladies! It is pretty special to see the little one up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I think it's so hard to get nice maternity clothes, I'm getting my sister to send over some from the States.

Have an anomaly scan at 21 weeks on Thursday. Should I drink lots of water before this one too or does that only apply to the dating scan???

Try Jo Jo Maman Bebe on Wicklow Street. If Dublin isn't handy for you they have an online ordering service with free delivery. I bought the first (and so far only) set of maternity clothes there about 10 days ago and found the shop great. I got 3 pairs of jeans in various styles, white trousers for the summer and a few tops- casual vest tops x2 and a nice summer top. I also got a black dress for work.
    I was pleasantly surprised at how affordable the clothes were too.
    I had a quick look in H&M too and their stuff seems nice. I need to get trousers for work and some shorts and a swimming suit/ bikini for holidays this week and will try Jo Jo again and Next and New Look.
    I will also try this site- www.boobdesign.com . It's not cheap but the tops do for breast feeding as well as maternity wear, I like their t shirts in particular and the clothing gets very good reviews in terms of washing and wearing well.
    Good luck with your shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Officially back in Sept thread! Until early scan, our dates put us 25/09 then that first scan put us back a week -Oct 1st- which i thought odd as we found out straight away. So since then i've been straddling Sept and Oct threads. Last week, had the anatomy scan and were put back to our original dates again! Consultant said they shouldn't have changed our own dates unless their discrepancy was more than 7 days. At the time it was 6 days.

So we are delighted to be a week further on! Today, I'm 20+5. Feeling great. The scan was sooo cool. Only the 2D but we saw loads and the nurse spent 15-20mins with us so saw plenty. Quite emotional seeing the little bubs. He was only a little "blob" to see (sorry babba) at 8(actually 9 weeks). Couldn't get over the detail. And so much movement too. So reassuring too. We were so happy to reach another milestone plus find out we were really halfway that we celebrated with tea out!

The last 10days or so, i've been feeling the "bubbles/ popcorn" people talk of. At first i wasn't sure what is was and didn't get what people were talking about but it is very distinct now and very cool as my OH can also hear it when he puts his head to the bump.

I'm going public and had 1st antenatal hospital visit last week. Consultant has suggested i go with the mid-wife led unit now as, despite my age, she considers me "low risk" which is good. She has given me the option but said tbe midwives can give me more time and if necessary will refer me back to her so i think i'm good with that!

Love reading all the posts. Best of luck to those getting scans this week. Such a special time x

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Thanks for the reply Isolt and good luck with your scan tomorrow, you must be so excited!

Penny Dreadful thanks for taking the time to suggest maternity clothes, I didn't realise there was a JoJo Bebe in Dublin, I just ordered a maternity bra from the UK!

73trix welcome back to the Sept thread and congrats on your little boy. I am counting the sleeps to my scan, I've just got to know!!!

73trix welcome back to the Sept thread and congrats on your little boy. I am counting the sleeps to my scan, I've just got to know!!!

Thanks Furbabymama. I just say "he" and my OH says "she" rather than it/ the baby but we didn't find out so all a big surprise ahead!One of us gotta be right! ;) Major popping going on as I type. So cool. Does anyone actually know what the popping sound actually is? Apart from baby of course! Is it just baby moving in the fluid? Such a funny but reassuringly, lovely, little sound! :)

I never can hear the popping, only feel it. I'm jealous! and I'm sure my other half would be even moreso! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im due on the 22nd sept, finding out if its boy or girl on tuesday..... Excited and nervous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Im due on the 22nd sept, finding out if its boy or girl on tuesday..... Excited and nervous!!

Ah congrats good times ahead

We are waitin for the big surprise !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Ah congrats good times ahead

We are waitin for the big surprise !

First kicks tonite, folks! Felt like muscle spasms at first and put my hand on belly and reckon it has to bubs. Still accompanied by pops aplenty! Good times...

Wow ladies, just had my anatomy scan this morning - it was amazing!!! I didn't have one on the last pregnancy so it was lovely to just lie there and look at every little bit of my baby :) normally the scans at the antenatal appointments are just very quick and you don't get to see anything.

And it looks very like it's a little boy! He's breech at the moment but there's still plenty time for him to turn so not worried about that. Everything else looks absolutely perfect.

So glad to have a little bit of good news ... I had myself worked up into a total tizz as I was convinced that they would find something gravely wrong.

Aww that's fab Karmella, glad you enjoyed it :-) Had my scan on Wednesday, teared up for a lit of it as things finally became real for me! Scary times but just relieved baby is Ok. And if course baby had hand right between the legs which made determining the sex really difficult!!! However she told us what she thought it was but we're going to get a private scan at 28 weeks to check on progress and try to get confirmation of the sex. But even having a cautious estimate of the sex is making me feel closer to baby.

I got a little jumper here! Friday night I was lying down with my bump bare, and I could see the bump move with a kick! Happened a couple more times till he changed aim. Pretty bloody cool to see that. And last night Id my phone resting on my bump when sprawled out on the couch, the phone twitched from a little kick! It was only a tiny twitch, but still!

My little fella is fierce active aswell, but because of the way he's positioned I'm getting all the kicks downwards - there is an occasional punch at the top of the bump alright.

Getting a lot of stretchy pains at the moment, was very uncomfortable yesterday evening sitting down, could barely get off the couch (not a god omen if I'm finding that hard already lol).

Am completely allergic to work - September cannot come quick enough - although I may be starting on a new project next week which will improve things ... my brain cells are deteriorating rapidly and I feel stupider by the day :)

Any of ye first timers starting to experience the wonders of Baby Brain yet?!

No baby brain thank goodness! But deffo getting the stretchy pains again and baby is super active. I'm 22 weeks now and up 15lbs so feel like the baby is heavy when I walk. Still managing an hour and a half a day with the dogs but wondering if I should invest in some sort of support belt???

My latest craving is for freshly baked white bread and real butter ... I could buy a loaf and have it polished off in a day :O

so between that and the chocolate and muffins my diet has gone to pot altogether.

But strangely enough despite this I haven't put on any weight whatsoever, I have actually lost weight!? I still weigh less than I did at my 12 week booking appointment. The baby was measuring 1lb1oz at the anatomy scan 2 weeks ago and that was actually measuring big.

So its all backwards :) I'm not complaining about the weight - far from it! - its just strange. Its probably all the stress of the last few months I guess....

How is everyone doing? Looking forward to the bank holiday weekend? Me and son are going to Kerry with friends and I can't wait. I've booked next week off work as I am getting a mole/sun damage/skin cancer yoke removed from my face (eek!) on Tuesday. So I'll probably look like I've been in the wars - bought big sunglasses specially. :)

I've a full pedicure booked for the end of the week so can finally release my feet to the world lol :)

Oh yum, nice fresh bread and butter, I could live on that. And then there is also toast! I tried doing Atkins once years ago, couldnt last without bread. The bread here is cack, I miss normal Irish bread. Been having a few very strong cravings for junk food in the afternoons as well as nausea after eating lunch. Awful hard to ignore, I try to eat fruit but its not the same. I ended up eating a pint of Ben & jerry's one day :O damn I've cream shop in my building! It hit the spot though... I've put on 14lb so far which is fine but I better lay off the daily junk so it doesn't sky rocket :(

Hope ye are enjoying the bank holiday and ye get noce weather wherever ye are. Its not a holiday here. But I can't complain as we'll be in Boston for a wedding next weekend and in Yellowstone National Park in Montana for a conference starting the weekend after and then taking 4 days to ourselves in the park after (hubby coming along to mind me/offspring). Really looking forward to the wedding, the girl is one of the really good friends I've made here and it'll be fun to see an American wedding (although the invite says it finishes at midnight, we'll have to see about that!). Only problem is, what to wear?! Great excuse for shopping :D

Having a bit of a row with the hubs at the mo over baby names. We haven't really talked about it till now, just been collecting names in one spread sheet. thurs night he asked, so what names do you like? I listed off three that I like that are in the spread sheet and at the last one of them he gave a snort-laugh and said, and I quote, 'that's a stupid name!' followed by 'how do you even spell that?'. Em, fcking moron. It is only Daithi. We've both put mostly Irish names in the list, the other two I mentioned were fiachra and conal (which he also likes), so its not like an irisb name is totally alien. But still, even if he thought it was an awful name, his reaction was totally crap and hurtful! And narrowminded. Soo mad at him. After I got annoyed a lot he said sorry, but with a 'but' attached - sorry but it just came out, but it was a knee jerk reaction, but but but. I think I need to teach him what is an actual apology before I have another one picking up his habits. We didn't resolve it in the morning (i may have told him he sounded like his mother, who looks down her nose on anything Irish and had said similar things about Irish names before) and I stayed in work late last night, partially as I had something to finish and partially because I didn't want to talk to him. Now this morning he's mad that I stayed in late and didn't tell him when I'd be home (that happens a lot with me, in fairness). Trying to get out of one argument by starting another, me thinks.
    Lovely :(
    edit to say: i'm mostly annoyed that this has put a dampner on the whole name thing for me now, how can I be open with him about what names I like when he might just laugh? :(

anyway, off to buy shoes for the wedding now. Its in a garden so need to get nice wedges so I wont sink into the lawn with the belly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hey ladies! I haven't been on in a while, hope everyone is doing well! I wouldn't worry too much madeinamerica, I would say your hubby will come out with a few names of his own that you wouldn't entertain! My hubby and I discussed names a couple years ago and found names we both loved. You will too ☺. I saw in earlier threads you were having trouble finding maternity clothes. Try target online (store doesn't have much), old navy, and motherhood had a 4 for 3 offer when I was there, and I got a freebie bag with a soother and coupons for free slings, nursing covers / pillow, and car seat cover.

Baby is moving lots now, I can see my stomach move when he kicks! I've been craving
    Still lemonade since I was home, so hard to get here! But I found m&s sell it 😊 . I don't know what I weigh now at nearly 27w, but I was up 5kg at 23w.

Hey ladies! I haven't been on in a while, hope everyone is doing well! I wouldn't worry too much madeinamerica, I would say your hubby will come out with a few names of his own that you wouldn't entertain! My hubby and I discussed names a couple years ago and found names we both loved. You will too ☺. I saw in earlier threads you were having trouble finding maternity clothes. Try target online (store doesn't have much), old navy, and motherhood had a 4 for 3 offer when I was there, and I got a freebie bag with a soother and coupons for free slings, nursing covers / pillow, and car seat cover.

Baby is moving lots now, I can see my stomach move when he kicks! I've been craving
    Still lemonade since I was home, so hard to get here! But I found m&s sell it 😊 . I don't know what I weigh now at nearly 27w, but I was up 5kg at 23w.

Thanks comongethappy. Yeah i'm sure we will get over it and find a name we both like, it just really stung!

Thanks for the advice on maternity clothes, old navy is my friend now :). I don't like to buy clothes online as I've an odd shape with wide shoulders (from swimming i'm told) and the other stores' maternity stuff are way out in suburbs (where all the pregnant women live, apparently) But we are going on a trip to an outlet store park and I'll stock up :D

Aren't the kicks and movements sooooo cool?!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭thebomb

Hey guys iam also due in September the 19th with my first baby :) found out iam having a boy! Iam 24 weeks and a few days and still zero movement had a check up Friday gone and all is well anybody else not feel movement at this stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭thebomb

Hey guys iam also due in September the 19th with my first baby :) found out iam having a boy! Iam 24 weeks and a few days and still zero movement had a check up Friday gone and all is well anybody else not feel movement at this stage ?

thebomb wrote: »

Congrats thebomb! welcome to the thread. I've read that it can really vary when women start to feel it. Like it can depend on where the placenta is for one thing. And that first timers feel it later than those who've had kids before or perhaps we just don't know what it is! The first movements I felt were like tiny soft tappings in below my belly button. Some people think the early movements are just gas moving inside, so perhaps you've had them but don't realise. I'm sure it'll happen soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Excited_FTM

Hi Ladies,

I havent posted here in a really long time but I've been reading your posts. I hope you're all keeping well. Im 24wk 2days now and have quite a little kicker in my tummy. On my first it took me a long time to really feel movement so don't worry.

Anyone else looking at the calendar for maternity leave?

Oh yes I've been planning my mat leave since my 12 week scan :o

My due date is 22sept, but my son came 5 days early so I think I'll probably work the first week of sept and finish then. Or else just finish the last week August. Might be a smoother finish I guess.

I'm trying to limit my holidays this year so that I can put them towards my time off aswell. I'd like to take the unpaid leave this time. I have it worked out that if I take the full 26 + 16, and have 15 holiday days from this year and 15 from next year plus the 7 bank holidays I could just about be off until my son starts big school!! May have to take a bit of parental leave aswell.

But then again last time I was really ready to go back to work after the 26 weeks. I think it would be just bizarre to not be at work for a whole year! Would also have to save very hard to be able to afford the mortgage for the few unpaid months. I'm very lucky that my company will pay me for the 26 weeks (they pay the difference between my normal salary and the maternity benefit so I'll have the same money). So it's a decision to be made but at least won't have to decide til march. Will just take it as it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I wouldn't worry too much about the movement thebomb, I found at 24 weeks I really didn't feel strong movements. At 25/26 weeks I started to feel proper movements, so hopefully in a couple weeks you'll feel your baby going mad :).

I'm in the same boat as you Excited FTM & Karmella, I'm hoping to take the 26 + 16, plus accrued annual leave and bank holidays. If I can afford it, maybe some parental leave. I'm glad my company pay the 26W as well, couldn't afford it if they didn't! I'm due the 1st Sept, so the latest I can work is the 15th Aug. I'm thinking of finishing on the 13th though as I have some AL that I have to take before I head off! On the count down now though!

Sorry ladies can you tell me what the + 16 you're talking about is? Is that unpaid? My work don't pay anything so dreading the finances :-(

24 weeks today and had a docs appointment. Doc told me I was measuring a bit small and he wants to keep an eye on me to make sure baby is growing. But I told him I've gained 17lbs already! Ok so my bump isn't huge but my waist was always small as I'm hourglass shaped. Well at least I was ha!

Also I wanted a blood test to check my iron levels as am a vegetarian but he wouldn't do it and just said I deffo need an iron tablet. I thought that was very old school as my blood tests at 16 weeks came back fine. Left feeling annoyed tbh :(

• Advertisement

Yeah it's the 16 weeks unpaid ... I couldn't afford it last time as there was no way we could've paid the mortgage, I think that this time though if we could save up all the money that we are currently paying for child care while im off and a bit more then it's just about doable - I think that child care for the 2 would probably work out about the same so I'd rather stay at home if I could. Just hoping that I won't go insane!!

Furbabymomma did you bring up your iron levels? Are you really exhausted? They took my bloods for iron at my last hospital appt at 20 weeks, so maybe your doctor doesn't take them. It's a bit confusing with combined care as to who does what sometimes. And if they were ok at 16 weeks then it might be ok now?

And did he just feel around your bump for the baby? That's all my doc did yesterday. When is your next hospital appointment?

Advertisement