Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

pastry2010 wrote: »
    I couldn't watch one born every minute :( This one isn't about childbirth it's basically when they all bring the baby home and how the couples relationship changes etc it's very real life. I feel for them and then I thought that's going to be me in a few weeks ahhhhhh! I really haven't focused my attention onto what actually happens when you bring it home (that sounds really bad!) but these women go through the troubles of starting to breast feed, how their OH helps out, when the OH goes back to work how it changes again it's actually good to see if you get a chance especially first timers like me!!

Good luck in your antenatal! Is it all day course?

That sounds good, I must look it up. Thanks. I'm a total newbie, i've no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Couldn't believe it, my in laws and friends threw me a surprise baby shower today! Was totally blown away by everyone's generosity, and had a great time. Hubby never hinted at it either, was shocked he didn't let it slip! Baba will be well dressed!

Couldn't believe it, my in laws and friends threw me a surprise baby shower today! Was totally blown away by everyone's generosity, and had a great time. Hubby never hinted at it either, was shocked he didn't let it slip! Baba will be well dressed!

Aw, that is brilliant! Very sweet lf them to keep it a surprise too :D I'm delighted for you as I know now how much it means to moms here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Ahh that's lovely that they threw you a shower! :)

Well I can tell ye now that I am absolutely shattered after my weekend away! Its definitely so hard to just admit that you're not able for stuff. We didn't even really do that much, but just walking around and chatting and lack of sleep took it out of me ha ha. I got an earlier train home yesterday as I'd just hit a wall.

I seem to have developed some class of a summer cold - have a really dry irritating cough, and then on top of that I had a reaction on my eye and it was really sore/inflamed - it was the first time I'd worn makeup since the operation and the new skin obviously wasn't ready :o Learnt my lesson.

Oh yeah, I got a call on Friday then about my glucose test. My gp had texted me the results (5.3 & 5.8) and said they were normal. But apparently the hospital weren't happy with it because its supposed to be less than 5.1, so I now have to go in tomorrow. I don't have diabetes so I think that really I'm just going to get a lecture from a dietitian about eating sugary food (I do eat a LOT of chocolate), but its such a waste of time. I suppose its an hour or 2 off work. Such a pain though when I thought I'd gotten out of having to go into Cumh. Grr.

Karmella wrote: »
    Ahh that's lovely that they threw you a shower! :)

Well I can tell ye now that I am absolutely shattered after my weekend away! Its definitely so hard to just admit that you're not able for stuff. We didn't even really do that much, but just walking around and chatting and lack of sleep took it out of me ha ha. I got an earlier train home yesterday as I'd just hit a wall.

I seem to have developed some class of a summer cold - have a really dry irritating cough, and then on top of that I had a reaction on my eye and it was really sore/inflamed - it was the first time I'd worn makeup since the operation and the new skin obviously wasn't ready :o Learnt my lesson.

Oh yeah, I got a call on Friday then about my glucose test. My gp had texted me the results (5.3 & 5.8) and said they were normal. But apparently the hospital weren't happy with it because its supposed to be less than 5.1, so I now have to go in tomorrow. I don't have diabetes so I think that really I'm just going to get a lecture from a dietitian about eating sugary food (I do eat a LOT of chocolate), but its such a waste of time. I suppose its an hour or 2 off work. Such a pain though when I thought I'd gotten out of having to go into Cumh. Grr.

Glad to hear you had a nice weekend karmella. it is amazing how little can make us tired these days, isn't it? It'd be funny if it wasn't so annoying!

Shame they are dragging you into the hospital, hope it won't take long. mmmm, chocolate. now I want some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

God the tiredness is unnatural I am so fatigued today the bed is calling me to lie down!

Il be 34 weeks Thursday can't wait to get through another week safely.
    Trying hard not to kill myself thou as the tiredness will last for a long few months yet. :'( but I see so much things that I have to do tidying up etc!

For those of what who's first it is enjoy the last few weeks on your own. Enjoy lying down when you can and enjoy just worrying about yourselves and immediate family and friends. Soon you l have a massive life changing experience :-D all for the better!!!

monflat wrote: »
    God the tiredness is unnatural I am so fatigued today the bed is calling me to lie down!

Il be 34 weeks Thursday can't wait to get through another week safely.
    Trying hard not to kill myself thou as the tiredness will last for a long few months yet. :'( but I see so much things that I have to do tidying up etc!

For those of what who's first it is enjoy the last few weeks on your own. Enjoy lying down when you can and enjoy just worrying about yourselves and immediate family and friends. Soon you l have a massive life changing experience :-D all for the better!!!

I don't know how those with little kids get through another pregnancy as well as bring up children, I have barely enough energy for myself!

I don't know how those with little kids get through another pregnancy as well as bring up children, I have barely enough energy for myself!

I don't know either!!! And try to work too! My gp signed me off for this week I was just pure struggling I worknow.13 hr shifts 3 days a week leave hse @ 7am and back @ 10 10pm it's just difficult these days.
    My nearly 2 n 4 yr old are real excited want to keep lookin at photos of when they were babies however my 4 yr old in.past few days keeps doin her poos in her pants whether it's. A sudden urge to be a baby again gain my attention which she has for every minute I'm here anyway.
    I don't know but hopefully it was just a bad 3 day run.
    She is trained 14 months and.rarely ever had an accident so il wait n c!!!!!

I hear you ladies about the exhaustion - 34 w today on my first and I'm knackered after the weekend! I know what you mean Karmella, what would normally have been a relaxing weekend away turns into an energy draining and uncomfortable weekend!

I have to say to all the ladies here on your second and plus- my hats off to you. I get home and can barely see to dinner. Hope you ladies have support around where you can put your feet up some evenings.

Monflat, hopefully it's nothing. My manager in work had the problem with his daughter, and was told that while boys take longer to train, girls are more prone to regress for a period of time. Hopefully it is short lived!

I think in my opinion regarding the energy levels you get so used to it and nothing compared to the tiredness on my first especially at the first trimester.

I think your body just is so used to not getting a break that when you do sit down your just exhausted some days here I eat my lunch standing up cause the minute I sit there's a request to get something outhe of reach get something that's fallen down the back of the chair or whatever!!!!

At times like these thou you have to cut out things like I used to enjoy its all worth it thou!!! :-D

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm not sure how hard it'll be with two - thankfully my son is no longer in nappies - here's hoping there's no regression!! When he was a newborn I used to stay in bed until about noon but I was breast feeding so he was stuck to me every 2 hrs for a few weeks and it didn't matter whether I was upstairs or downstairs! :) I survived surprisingly well on no real sleep for those few weeks!

But this time I'll have to be more disciplined as will have to get son up and out the door to pre school! Eek! But at least he'll be out of the house for a few hours every day. :)

Karmella wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not sure how hard it'll be with two - thankfully my son is no longer in nappies - here's hoping there's no regression!! When he was a newborn I used to stay in bed until about noon but I was breast feeding so he was stuck to me every 2 hrs for a few weeks and it didn't matter whether I was upstairs or downstairs! :) I survived surprisingly well on no real sleep for those few weeks!

But this time I'll have to be more disciplined as will have to get son up and out the door to pre school! Eek! But at least he'll be out of the house for a few hours every day. :)

Yea I think you'll get into a nice routine. The first few weeks will be a necessary to get your supply built up as you know.
    Both mine were two completely different feeders
    I Hope this baby is as good as the second
    She was a great feeder

Also has anyone started to cook and freeze any food?

I have lasagne s.
    Shepherds pies

Any other suggestions???

I have lasagne s.
    Shepherds pies

Any other suggestions???

Havent started myself yet, but a friend of mine who had a baby in Feb receommended stocking the house with food with lots of fibre, in case you have stitches afterwards. So I guess load up the frozen food with veg!

Just had a minor tumble in work, sat on a high stool with a dodgy leg (no wheel on one leg) and landed on my rear with a bang. Feel ok but a bit shook, am off to call my ob office now just to make sure. I've a scan in the morning anyway, but waiting overnight would have me worried.

I have lasagne s.
    Shepherds pies

Any other suggestions???

No, this is yet another thing on my to do list but I don't even have the energy to cook dinners for myself now - never mind for the future! :)

I'd like to think of different stuff aswell. I suppose stir fries and currys etc are freezable? I can't for the life of me remember what I did last time. Maybe I just got stuck into dinners when OH came home from work. But can't rely on him much now so I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Just had a minor tumble in work, sat on a high stool with a dodgy leg (no wheel on one leg) and landed on my rear with a bang. Feel ok but a bit shook, am off to call my ob office now just to make sure. I've a scan in the morning anyway, but waiting overnight would have me worried.

Oh gosh, are you ok madeinamerica?! I'm sure everything will be fine! Baby well protected and I'd say landing on your bum was the best place on your body to fall. Take it easy tonight! Feet up! Xxx

Oh no madeinamerica! It's always a shock when you fall like that, but at least you fell backwards so baby should be absolutely fine - good that you can get it checked anyway and not have to wait til tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

God help you hope your alright but I'd say you got a fright all the same.

Take it easy now!

Hope all is okay, but baby should be fine as you landed on your bum. Hope you are feeling ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Poor you, madeinamerica. It's horrible and scary but like already said you didn't fall on your bump so should be fine x I had two falls in two days recently onto my hand and knee. The second one was in the hospital so they made me go for a scan. No damage was done but they discovered during the scan that baby's abdomen is behind the rest of her body slightly in growth so have another scan just after 32 weeks to make sure she's all caught up. So turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Oh comeongethappy did your little cat show up?

Oh comeongethappy did your little cat show up?

No not yet :( . Still holding out hope he might come back on his own one of these days. The hubby and I took turns walking the neighbourhood in the evening. I think people must think I'm some demented cat lady, walking up and.down the roads shaking a treat packet and calling for my cat! Didn't help I had a few other cats start to follow me :o

Hope all is okay, but baby should be fine as you landed on your bum. Hope you are feeling ok!

Ah thanks for the concern, ladies, ye are very good :)

Rang the ob office (although felt a bit daft saying I fell off a chair, it was quite a high chair!!) and a nurse called me back about 15 min later. She ran through a checklist of questions and said all sounded fine (no bleeding or discharge, didn't fall on the bump or my head, no dizziness, baby has been moving since, no contractions or tighness in bump etc). So, all fine :) Was feeling ok anyway but it is nice to get some reassurance. Now to find out who left that broken fecking chair in the room..

comongethappy you hit the nail on the head, I picked the best bit of me to cushion my fall, my expanding arse! :D

No not yet :( . Still holding out hope he might come back on his own one of these days. The hubby and I took turns walking the neighbourhood in the evening. I think people must think I'm some demented cat lady, walking up and.down the roads shaking a treat packet and calling for my cat! Didn't help I had a few other cats start to follow me :o

Sorry to hear that, I hope he comes home soon. Cats are great for looking after themselves when they wander though, you'd never know when he might show up.

Delighted for you madeinamerica, such a weight off your mind I bet! And great you have an appointment tomorrow anyway as you can hear the heartbeat for reassurance.

Really sorry your cat hasn't turned up yet comeongethappy. As a crazy dog lady I'd be out on the streets too xxx

Well they've decided now that I have pregnancy diabetes after all :( I now have to monitor my blood sugars seven !!! times a day. And completely change my diet and start exercising. I have to have 3 square meals and 3 snacks all at regular intervals. Cut down on carbs as they are what's causing the problems. I suppose it makes sense cos I was addicted to bread and chocolate, but I'm going to miss them!!!

In all fairness. Just waiting now for a growth scan to monitor baby's tummy size.

Sorry to hear that Karmella. I suppose in a way it is great that they caught it early (your first results were just over the border if I remember?) so you and bubs will be grand and well looked after. Such a pain though to have to follow a new regime now! Best of luck with it, I'd find the lack chocolate very hard (although the chocolate here in the states is cac, sorry comongethappy!). If you want, let us know how you get on with the exercise and you can motivate us with your example! I'm sure you'll do great Karmella, all worth it in the end :)

Edit to say: Just in case you are beating yourself up for this, from what I've been reading on the pregnancy diabetes it usually isn't anything the woman has done that causes it. They think that the placenta releases something that can interfere with your own insulin working and so your sugar levels can go up because of it, rather than the woman having a not-so-good diet and causing the problem in the first place, if you know what I mean (although I guess if the diet is absolutely atrocious then it can cause it but I'd ay you have to be really bad for that). The diet and exercise recommendations are to help your body bring those sugar levels down lower by itself despite the insulin issue.

Sorry to hear that Karmella. I suppose in a way it is great that they caught it early (your first results were just over the border if I remember?) so you and bubs will be grand and well looked after. Such a pain though to have to follow a new regime now! Best of luck with it, I'd find the lack chocolate very hard (although the chocolate here in the states is cac, sorry comongethappy!). If you want, let us know how you get on with the exercise and you can motivate us with your example! I'm sure you'll do great Karmella, all worth it in the end :)

So I had the growth scan and at 31 weeks my little man is weighing in at 4lb 13oz!! :eek: Feck that's big. But its proportionally big, like its not just his tummy which would be a major sign of diabetes (all the extra insulin can't be broken down by baby so it turns into fat around his belly).

I dunno about motivating ye with my exercise cos I am doing zip at the moment - I need motivation! I just don't have time! I get home from work at 6 and then have to look after the small fella so can't do anything in the evenings. Will just have to try and get a walk in at lunchtime.

• Advertisement

Just back from our 32 weeks scan. Bubs's kidneys were too big on the 20 week scan so they scheduled this one to see if they were still big. At the time, the doc said that it happens a lot with boys and they mostly resolve themselves by 32 weeks otherwise might need a procedure to widen his tubes or something. I've been trying not to think about it since then, but 12 weeks is a long time! we didn't tell anyone either, no point worrying families at home with a false alarm. And, today all was fine! Kidneys are normal! phew! Was great to see him again! I love the side view of the little face! They measured everything again (although the nurse was flying through it, hubby had a hard time making things out on the screen). Glad to see all was ok after my wee tumble yesterday. He is measuring on the big side, 14lb 12oz, 76 percentile I think. We have two big boys Karmella! The nurse who did the scan was actually asking me what my glucose results were (they were ok) and was a bit concerned that he was too big, but the doc that came in after said it was ok. Like your guy Karmella, he is proportionally fine but a bit big, measuring for 33w4d with long femurs apparently. So perhaps he'll be tall.

One thing that I never get a straight answer for is, how accurate the due dates are and why do they use them for these scans? They are doing all this measuring based off my Sept 16th due date, which is different from the date calculated off my last period. When they did the very first scan measurements they changed the due date to 2 weeks later (which I had expected as my periods were quite long usually). So, it seems a bit much to be sticking so closely to what he should be measuring now based off that date (32 weeks) when he may not be 32 weeks at all, and might be 33 weeks and measuring fine. If you know what I mean?? I just find it all confusing.

Advertisement