Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bin collecting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

zorro2566 wrote: »
    0.25c per kg on Barna and Greenstar,think Barna told me you are charged for weights over 35 kgs.The Greenstar 'pay as you go' plan is a flat €10 for the lift.I rang McGrath too and they will be charging by weight in 2016

Ya Mc Graths said it will be charge by weight from next yr.

What I meant was I'm interested how much it will actually cost people to put out their bin now when overweight. I have no idea how much our bin would have weighed but it was always overweight

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I'd like to know how Barna were allowed to send out letters on Christmas Eve, which were dated the 18 December, notifying customers of an increase on the 1st January. Do they not have to give a minimum notice to customers?

Say I get my bins lifted on a Thursday, so the day after the notice came out would be my last chance to leave out my recycling/compost bin before the new rates, obviously can't as its Christmas Day.
    The last chance to leave out my general waste would be the week previous as the next Thursday was the first date of the new rates.

Had my bins delivered today after I signed up to Greenstar but they were filthy and previously used, I had asked for new bins! So I brought them straight back to the Greenstar Depot in Sligo where I was told that they are awaiting new bins,so I will just wait for them!
    When I was there the lady I spoke to told me that they are getting a lot of new customers who are leaving Barna due to the new cost structure and that they ran out of bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Stargazing79

I just checked my Barna account and see I have been charged €3 for compost lift on 22/12/2014 i.e. before new charges were supposed to commence on 1st Jan - WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

I just checked my Barna account and see I have been charged €3 for compost lift on 22/12/2014 i.e. before new charges were supposed to commence on 1st Jan - WTF?!

Just logged on to pay them some money as my account needed topping up to discover a charge of €3 for Compost lift on 24/12.
    WTF????
    Anyone got an email address for them, can't find it and I believe they are difficult to get on phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Barna charged us 22.50 for a bin lift on the 31st.

Does anyone know if the Greenstar €129 yearly package would cover overweight bins? I can't see on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

That's crazy price for bin. Was it very full if you don't mind me asking?

Afaik that greenstar plan charges per kilo for the waste after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Yes, this one charge per kilo which is f..... stupid tbh - but they as well as council know that You still will have to pay it one way or another. Maybe instead of protesting against water charges ppl should do the same with bin charges - which may be more than for water.

Thanks, yes it was very heavy. Greenstar PAYG seems to be the way to go.

If it's of any help to anyone, I've worked out the prices for two different households.

House A: bins go every week - normal weight

Yearly cost:

Barna - 505
    Greenstar PAYG - 442

House B: bins go every 8 weeks - very heavy

Yearly cost:

Barna - 341
    Greenstar PAYG - 186

EDIT: Neither includes compost bin

• Advertisement

Greenstar seem to be the best but all they have if you sign up,is second hand bins which aren't too clean.I insisted on new bins but I was told by the Sligo depot that they wont have any until Sept/Oct,which seems odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Signed up for greenstar today. How long does it take for the bins to arrive. Dont want to cancel Barna till I get them

Signed up for greenstar today. How long does it take for the bins to arrive. Dont want to cancel Barna till I get them

Mine were delivered in one week but they were filthy and previously used so I returned them to the sligo greenstar depot as I was told I would be getting new bins. They didn't have any and I am now awaiting a response from greenstar.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Mine were delivered in one week but they were filthy and previously used so I returned them to the sligo greenstar depot as I was told I would be getting new bins. They didn't have any and I am now awaiting a response from greenstar.

Not too worried about the bins. Just want to have them before I cancel Barna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Spoke with both Barna and Greenstar today. Didn't find Greenstar all that friendly or professional to be honest, kinda put off the company after talking to the lady there. I brought up issue of the dirty used bins and she seemed to get offended.

I got prices for the prepay option from both and I am looking at going with the prepay option with Barna.

I have tried to work out our likely waste amount (two adults with a child on the way). I work it out to be about €350/year (€6.73/week) but I am hoping that I have overestimated the amount of waste.

So is there any point leaving one bin company to join another when they are all going to start charging by weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Like a Irish Water topic ,there is no very clear answer, yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

Does anybody know how much it costs to leave waste directly to the Greenstar facility in Finisklin? I’m getting different information from various sources and its all contradictory! I tried ringing them but its going through to a call centre and they’re not answering.
    All I want to know is if I bring for example 6 bags(in clear sacks)of recyclable waste-i.e., paper, cardboard and plastic and 2 bags (in black sacks) of general waste i.e., food waste how is this charged? Is it per bag or per car-load?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

johnire wrote: »
    Does anybody know how much it costs to leave waste directly to the Greenstar facility in Finisklin? I’m getting different information from various sources and its all contradictory! I tried ringing them but its going through to a call centre and they’re not answering.
    All I want to know is if I bring for example 6 bags(in clear sacks)of recyclable waste-i.e., paper, cardboard and plastic and 2 bags (in black sacks) of general waste i.e., food waste how is this charged? Is it per bag or per car-load?
    Thanks!

4.00 euro for carload of recyclables, 6.50 for 1 black bag of waste. Don't know if it's cheaper if you have several bags of waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

That's a lot for black bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I just pull up and ask can i use the weigh bridge. €5 for every 20kg of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

Do you mind me asking if that includes both recyclable and general waste?
    Someone told me that they thought it was €4.00 per car load but just for recyclable and that they charge €6.50 per bag for general waste?
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I just pull up and ask can i use the weigh bridge. €5 for every 20kg of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Do you mind me asking if that includes both recyclable and general waste?
    Someone told me that they thought it was €4.00 per car load but just for recyclable and that they charge €6.50 per bag for general waste?

Just for general waste. There is a sign at the desk stating 6.50 per bag, but i have never been asked what i was dumping or how many bags i had any time i have gone up. Infact, first time i went up, told them i had a mix of recycling and general waste, and was told i couod use the weigh bridge. Then throwed all the black bags on all the general waste pile, put all the recyclables along with another pile that appeared to be recyclables, went back on the wweighbridge, paid at the above rate, got my receipt, and headed on my way.

Have also gone to the recycling section several times, and was not charged on half the occasions, ie, if they thought i was also going to general waste section, or if i only had a small amount, ie, a couple of boxes/crates of recycling.

I doubt Barna will do a U turn and delay their new pricing structure until 2016.Having spoken to McGrath and Greenstar,they will also bring in a pay by weight system so its difficult to know which waste company to sign up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Thanks!

I bring mine down, I spent about €50 last year in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

I bring mine down, I spent about €50 last year in total.

Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Its nothing short of criminal what the waste companies have done. In the space of about a year we have gone from an average 10 euro bag for general waste when needed, to firstly a quarterly charge, joke, just pure profit for them and now a monthly charge and hiked up fees to empty bins. These companies are laughing all the way to the bank. They kinda have you over a barrel and they know it. With all the controversy about water charges and the opposition rallies the waste companies have sat under the radar plotting and seized their moment, the water charges took the heat off them. For the average family, I bet waste will end up costing more than any water charge in the not too distant future.
    The annoying part is that we are being told "there is nothing we can do about the waste company charges" Bull. They are getting away with murder.
    The able bodied ones amongst us may be able to store, keep and transport our waste down to the quays for disposal but for some, this is not an option. I know elderly people who have no chance of doing this and they cannot afford all these extra charges. Dont even get me started on the waste companies next plot of "Pay by Weight" Their greed seems never ending as it will not stop there either!
    What would they do if everyone said "Take yer bins way, we will all go down to the quays and sort our own rubbish." They would be out of business.
    At the end of the day, its pure greed and 100% wrong that they can get away with it. It is absolutely disgusting and God help them knocking on my door wanting my vote at the next election, whenever that be.

For these waste management companies and their supposed environmental care it will backfire as people will turn to illegal dumping, it's started already. Easy to getaway with as well, as long as there is nothing with names and address' in the bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Pay-by-weight is coming much sooner than the summer of 2016.
    Don't heed Indo's inaccurate reporting: It has not been postponed!

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/leitrim-ahead-in-implementing-new-refuse-systems/

Advertisement