Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bin collecting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

prodsc wrote: »
    They are Caddies for under your sink, for example. Then transferred to your Brown Bin to be collected.

Food waste cannot be placed in General Waste Bin. I am not sure about bringing your waste to the depots. Check it out next time you are down there. Let us all know!

What I mean is, do you need to be signed up to one of the bib companies for it to be lifted. Dont have a brown bin, only the caddie one dropped off.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    What I mean is, do you need to be signed up to one of the bib companies for it to be lifted. Dont have a brown bin, only the caddie one dropped off.

Found out the answer the other day, bin companies will lift if you have a larger brown bin for the bags to be dropped into.

Another question, did anyone else get a knock on the door from the CoCo asking which service they use for disposing of rubbish, address, No' in house, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Anyone get notice this morning of the increased charges with Barna. Rip off. Price of recycling doubled. Compost up 50%. Euro extra on black bin. Changes to their standing charge and overweight bins too

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭red bellied

barneyrub wrote: »
    Anyone get notice this morning of the increased charges with Barna. Rip off. Price of recycling doubled. Compost up 50%. Euro extra on black bin. Changes to their standing charge and overweight bins too

Absolutely scandalous, previously it cost 80 euros a year before they lifted a bin, now they have upped it to 8.50 per month or 110 for the year. The recycling bin has doubled to 4 euro. Will be switching to Greenstar in the new year, they have a package for 129 per year.

Just did a quick tot and based on our typical usage it will be 83e more a yr. And that's not including overweight charges.

I'll be making enquiries with mcgraths.

• Advertisement

Absolutely scandalous, previously it cost 80 euros a year before they lifted a bin, now they have upped it to 8.50 per month or 110 for the year. The recycling bin has doubled to 4 euro. Will be switching to Greenstar in the new year, they have a package for 129 per year.

Yes but greenstar could follow suit and up their prices too!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Can you do the bins yourself. Thinking of just using the normal bin and recycling myself and forget about the compost bin

Can you do the bins yourself. Thinking of just using the normal bin and recycling myself and forget about the compost bin

Think you can but you will need to keep receipts for the disposal of your waste if you bring it to a dump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

And where is this written down that we need to do so?

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    And where is this written down that we need to do so?

In the bye laws on the CoCo website I think.

• Advertisement

Would you point it out for me ,please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I had an argument about lifting bins. Live down a narrow road (not much more than a lane) and was told that the lorry wouldn't be able to go down to collect and I would have to bring the bin to the end of the road - which is a fair distance. Anyway, I told them that if I had to put the rubbish in the boot of the car to take it to the end of the road then I'd continue with it and bring it to the dump. If anyone comes looking for receipts I'll give them a piece of my mind as well.

If anyone comes looking for receipts and I don't have any - what's the punishment?

Rang Barna and left a message telling them where to stick their account and come and take their bins back. Greenstar are €10 for waste and €4 for recycling and the service charge is €50 for the year on prepay, so I was told when I rang them this morning.

Would you point it out for me ,please
    If anyone comes looking for receipts and I don't have any - what's the punishment?

Check the downloads at the bottom of the page

http://www.sligococo.ie/WasteByeLaws/

16. What other options are available to me if I don’t want to register with a Waste Collector?

If you choose not to register with a Waste Collector, you must dispose of your waste via Civic Amenity Sites / Transfer Station / other Authorised Facility. By going down this route, you must maintain receipts from the sites for a minimum of three years. In order to account for all households in Sligo and what is happening to the waste from each household, a Waste Enforcement Officer from Sligo Local Authorities may inspect your premises to ensure you are disposing of your waste in an environmentally sound manner. If you do not have receipts from your Civic Amenity Site / Transfer Station / other Authorised Facility to prove you are using this facility to dispose of waste, you may be issued with a Warning Letter and/or an on-the-spot fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

How many waste disposal companies have licenses in Sligo? Is it just Barna and Greenstar? I think it's ridiculous we're charged a standing charge at all.

Depending where you are Mcgraths might cover your area. They cover where I am but greenstar don't so limited to 2 options here. I've emailed Mc graths so waiting to get a price back from them

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Greenstar are €10 for waste and €4 for recycling and the service charge is €50 for the year on prepay, so I was told when I rang them this morning.
    Their website states:

Prepay
    Initial Payment: €20.00
    Monthly Charge: €6.50 (x 12 = €78)
    General Waste: €10.00
    Recycling: €4.00

I was given slightly different prices on the phone as I have already mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Maybe because of the monthly charge - it went up few weeks ago.

So overall would greenstar be recommended over Barna in pricing terms? Peed off with Barna sending a price increase letter on Xmas eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

rizzodun wrote: »
    How many waste disposal companies have licenses in Sligo? Is it just Barna and Greenstar? I think it's ridiculous we're charged a standing charge at all.

Couldn't agree more! I do my own thing, much cheaper but not convenient for everybody. I live near Greenstar so bring my own waste and keep receipts.

Couldn't agree more! I do my own thing, much cheaper but not convenient for everybody. I live near Greenstar so bring my own waste and keep receipts.

How much does it cost you?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    How much does it cost you?

6.50e per bag of waste (3 times this year). 4.00e per carload of recyclables (4 times approx.per year) and I do my own composting. No standing charge! Make sure you get receipt for waste.

Where do greenstar take general waste

Where do greenstar take general waste

Down at the docks, just past Sligo fuels. Next gate after recycling.

Down at the docks, just past Sligo fuels.

Beside the recycling place?

Beside the recycling place?

Yes, next gate after recycling.

• Advertisement

6.50e per bag of waste (3 times this year). 4.00e per carload of recyclables (4 times approx.per year) and I do my own composting. No standing charge! Make sure you get receipt for waste.
    How do you manage to produce so little waste, I seem to fill our bin every three weeks and that's even with me standing in the bin to push it in further?

Advertisement