Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bin collecting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

zorro2566 wrote: »
    How do you manage to produce so little waste, I seem to fill our bin every three weeks and that's even with me standing in the bin to push it in further?

I suppose it depends on how many people live in house. There are only 2 of us. And I do a lot of composting and recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I'd only have that amount of waste and there are 5 of us in the house. The amount can be kept well under control if you recycle and compost. I literally have only a couple of bags of pure, disgusting rubbish every 3 or 4 months that I have to bring to the dump. I fill my car up to capacity about 3 times a year with recyclables, give clothes to school collections and everything else grows veggies for me during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

KatyMac wrote: »
    I'd only have that amount of waste and there are 5 of us in the house. The amount can be kept well under control if you recycle and compost. I literally have only a couple of bags of pure, disgusting rubbish every 3 or 4 months that I have to bring to the dump. I fill my car up to capacity about 3 times a year with recyclables, give clothes to school collections and everything else grows veggies for me during the summer.
    Agree with all that, amazing what you can do when you put your mind to lt!!

I signed up to greenstar and I am just awaiting their pay card and the new bins. I also rang Barna to cancel my account with them and found the lady who took my call to be quite snotty and defensive when I told her my reasons. I would imagine that she took a lot of calls from irate customers, hence her mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Does anyone know the price structure with McGraths? Can't find any pricing details on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

'The 140L waste bin and 240L recycling bin costs €298 for 2015 or The 240L waste bin and 240L recycling bin costs €338 for 2015'

I got quoted this from mcgraths when I emailed. They don't charge per lift. Said they will be charging by weight from next year due to new guidelines

barneyrub wrote: »
    'The 140L waste bin and 240L recycling bin costs €298 for 2015 or The 240L waste bin and 240L recycling bin costs €338 for 2015'

I got quoted this from mcgraths when I emailed. They don't charge per lift. Said they will be charging by weight from next year due to new guidelines

That is expensive, works out at €28 per month for the €338 amount!

It was too expensive for us last yr but after the barna price hike they're much the same.
    102 standing charge. If put bins out once a month it's 204, plus any overweight charges.

With mcgraths I can out the bin out every week and not be standing on it trying to get the value out of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I was given slightly different prices on the phone as I have already mentioned.
    Yeah and I was just mentioning that the prices you were given are incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭red bellied

These gangsters should be putting on more recyclable collections, something like three a month and one a month for general waste. Often in our household the recycling bin is full after a week and this leads to throwing plastic into the general waste bin. Obviously that's why Barna have doubled the cost of the recycling bin.

• Advertisement

Got charged 34.75 for an over weight bin, shower of fcuks.

That's crazy! Did they give you a weight of it?

That's crazy! Did they give you a weight of it?

They updated my balance by text which was in minus after I added credit, it just shows the balance on the account after the latest lift, nothing about the weight.

Charged me €17.75 for my lift today, I usually pay 9.00 and 11.50 if it goes over the weight. My account is in debit now but they can fcuk themselves as I am joining greenstar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

This is all very relevant, interesting and confusing to me at this time. I have just moved into a rented property in Town where waste disposal is not included and we have to select a waste disposal company in the next few days. We have recycled for the past few years in our previous place but haven't a clue what composting a out of waste we produce. We are a couple with our first child on the way and are very confused with are the different charges. Can anyone please advise which company is best value, ie lots of nappies to be disposed.

This is all very relevant, interesting and confusing to me at this time. I have just moved into a rented property in Town where waste disposal is not included and we have to select a waste disposal company in the next few days. We have recycled for the past few years in our previous place but haven't a clue what composting a out of waste we produce. We are a couple with our first child on the way and are very confused with are the different charges. Can anyone please advise which company is best value, ie lots of nappies to be disposed.

They are both a shower of fcuks but Greenstar is the lesser evil at the current time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Was the €20 quarterly charge included in this amount?

red sean wrote: »
    Was the €20 quarterly charge included in this amount?

No it was just for the lift, just checked again, they have now added on the 8.50 charge as well.

Wow, how heavy was your bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkPGlVqqEP0

• Advertisement

Just signed up with Greenstar on their yearly 129 euro plan. For this you get free recycling lifts. Then you are charged 24 cents a kilo on general waste and 18 cents a kilo for compost. This should keep me at under the 200 mark for bin charges for the year. Considering Barna are charging 102 per year in service charges and if you were to use their recycling every two weeks this would come to over 200 for the year and this is before they screw you on their general waste and their little excuse of a compost bin.

As long as I don't get a letter from Greenstar next Christmas Eve I won't complain. In all fairness that was like something out of a Dickens tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Just signed up with Greenstar on their yearly 129 euro plan. For this you get free recycling lifts. Then you are charged 24 cents a kilo on general waste and 18 cents a kilo for compost. This should keep me at under the 200 mark for bin charges for the year. Considering Barna are charging 102 per year in service charges and if you were to use their recycling every two weeks this would come to over 200 for the year and this is before they screw you on their general waste and their little excuse of a compost bin.

As long as I don't get a letter from Greenstar next Christmas Eve I won't complain. In all fairness that was like something out of a Dickens tale.

Is there anything to say that you can't just have a general waste and recycling bin and not a compost bin? It is one less bin but the compost would cost 6c per kilo more to dispose of in the general waste bin.

Is there anything to say that you can't just have a general waste and recycling bin and not a compost bin? It is one less bin but the compost would cost 6c per kilo more to dispose of in the general waste bin.

They will just issue you with the three bins, they probably have to comply with legislation, although I see your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

whats the average weight of a full wheely bin though?

I signed up to the pay as you go option with greenstar! If you join over the phone you don't have to pay the € 20 ' up front 'payment .

I'd be interested to see how the cost of the bins are when being charged per kilo on the overweight with barna or with the greenstar plan.

I signed up with mcgraths yesterday. Need to cancel Barna today. My prob now is that I have an almost full black barna bin and don't want to pay them their over priced charges and monthly fee for the privilage of taking one bin away

I'd be interested to see how the cost of the bins are when being charged per kilo on the overweight with Barna or with the Greenstar plan.

I signed up with McGrath yesterday. Need to cancel Barna today. My prob now is that I have an almost full black Barna bin and don't want to pay them their over priced charges and monthly fee for the privilege of taking one bin away

0.25c per kg on Barna and Greenstar,think Barna told me you are charged for weights over 35 kgs.The Greenstar 'pay as you go' plan is a flat €10 for the lift.I rang McGrath too and they will be charging by weight in 2016

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    whats the average weight of a full wheely bin though?

I asked this and was told it was around the 30kg mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

I think it depends what You will put in it;)

• Advertisement

I'd be interested to see how the cost of the bins are when being charged per kilo on the overweight with barna or with the greenstar plan.

I signed up with mcgraths yesterday. Need to cancel Barna today. My prob now is that I have an almost full black barna bin and don't want to pay them their over priced charges and monthly fee for the privilage of taking one bin away

You don't you will just go into minus on your credit, ring them up then and cancel.

Advertisement