Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bin collecting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

With Greenstar what is the annual fee for? I own my own bins and would just want to pay for whenever they lift it.

What is the cheapest option in Sligo?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm not sure with Greenstar, maybe if you give them a ring they'll tell you. I think each area of the County has a specific bin company. For instance, my area is covered by McGrath - I rang them last week and I was told I have to supply my own bins; the fee for the collection service for the rest of this year would be €197, for the whole year it's €338, otherwise you can buy packs of 4 labels to hang on the bin which cost €60 for four, and a roll of 10 bags for the recyclables costs €35. For the amount of waste I produce, I'd say the labels would be my best option. Perhaps Greenstar have a similar scheme set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

New Home wrote: »
    ... otherwise you can buy packs of 4 labels to hang on the bin which cost €60 for four, and a roll of 10 bags for the recyclables costs €35. For the amount of waste I produce, I'd say the labels would be my best option..

No contract? Pay per lift bags and labels?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep, that's what I was told - I asked them what the options were, including for holiday homes.

I'll get my labels and bags Monday week, they'll deliver them to the house. I also asked them about the colour of the bin, they told me it can be any colour as they'll look at the labels when they collect them. I suppose the labels would be more expensive for a large family, it would work out at €780 a year if the bin was left out every week, and that's just for the normal waste, without taking into account the recycling bags/bins. I can't remember if they said they collect weekly or fortnightly, though, but I'll get my calendar with the rest of the stuff, so I'll find out soon enough.

• Advertisement

Very interesting indeed , would they care about overweight bin in this case

No idea - I guess all will be revealed when I get the labels, they'll probably have instructions, rules, regulations, terms, conditions and all sort of small print attached to them.

I phoned them them at 5:20 on the Friday of a bank holiday weekend, I suppose they were in a hurry to go home, I know I would have been...

Please keep us updated. Thanks!

Will do. :)

(As I said, it may vary from company to company)

So...how did it went?

• Advertisement

Well, it went great - they dropped off labels, bags, instructions and receipts on the Saturday instead of the Monday (the chap said he was in the area). I filled the recycling bag as per instructions, and it got collected - no hassle. They misspelt my surname, but aside from that no prolem at all. Hope that my saying it won't come back to bite me you-know-where...

Next week it's 'normal bin' time, we'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sometimes you just have to speak to someone in person.

Was trying to get greenstar to send me a compost bin. Wanted to charge me €30, despite already having an account wth them, and never availing of one before. After two calls, their stance was not changing.

Called in person into their office in Sligo, sorted in a few minutes, charge only applies if needing a replacement bin, not clear why their Dublin office is giving this wrong information.

Probably hopeing people will pay and not argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

I closed my account with them. I am moving outside Sligo and don't need compost bin anymore - rest can be taken to depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

New Home wrote: »
    Well, it went great - they dropped off labels, bags, instructions and receipts on the Saturday instead of the Monday (the chap said he was in the area). I filled the recycling bag as per instructions, and it got collected - no hassle. They misspelt my surname, but aside from that no prolem at all. Hope that my saying it won't come back to bite me you-know-where...

Next week it's 'normal bin' time, we'll see...

Hi - Just wondering how you are getting on with McGraths, We are with Barna & getting sick of the monthly standing charge. Is it possible to just get the Tags for the landfill ? Was thinking of just taking all the recycling stuff into the Greenstar plant in Tubbercurry.

Would be interested to hear how it is going for you ?

To be honest I haven't put out a normal bin yet, it'll take me until the end of the month to fill my first one, but I had no problems at all with the recycling bags. When I rang up to get the tags for the normal bin I had to request the recycling bags separately, they do seem to consider them as separate 'headings', so to speak, so yes, I do think you can get the tags on their own, and the Greenstar plant is a great facility. When I rang McGrath first they mentioned the normal charges/set up, but then I asked them specifically what arrangements they had in place for places like holiday homes, and it was at that point that they mentioned the tags, so I told them I'd go for them instead - it would probably be more expensive with the tags if you were to put a bin out at every collection, but I don't produce enough waste to do that. I have some relatives coming to stay with me for a month and they have a baby, so I'll see what happens once the bins are put our more regularly because of the nappies, but I don't expect any hassle.

Just give McGrath a ring and see what they say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Yep, I'll ring them this week. We tend to recycle most of our stuff so not a whole lot goes into the landfill bin - It is going out this week but hasn't been put out for almost 10 weeks so maybe the tag system will work best for us. I have a system in the shed for segregating the various recycling bits and then I load up the car and go to greenstar every few months.

I just looked at my Barna account earlier and the bulk of the charges is the monthly standing charge

That's what I'm doing too, it's a system that works so why change it... I ordered the recycling bags just because they're handy if I know I won't get to the recycling facility for a while, but they are much more limiting in terms of what they accept, so the bulk of my recycling would still be brought to Greenstar.

Those monthly charges, to me, are completely unfair, there's no reason for them to be in place. Daylight robbery, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Anyone got idea of new pay by weight charges from any of our local companies? Due to be implimented at start of next month but nothing from my current provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

prodsc wrote: »
    Anyone got idea of new pay by weight charges from any of our local companies? Due to be implimented at start of next month but nothing from my current provider.

I'm with Barna myself and have been checking the website every week since March to try find out the new charges. There is a section that covers "Frequently asked questions" but no indication given as to what the cost will be.
    I find it all a bit "cloak and dagger" as I am damn sure "How much?" would be a frequently asked question at this late stage!! They have to know but they just aren't telling us.

Been checking both Greenstar and Barna for some time myself. Greenstar say they will be writing to people in a few days. No word from my provider, Barna.

Not liking some of the charges I am seeing from a few areas!!!

Update;

Barna contacting households 'shortly'

• Advertisement

Got a letter from Greenstar yesterday. Only to say some of their collection days had been changed, no mention of pay by weight.

Barna
    Service charge €17 pm
    Waste 22c per kg
    Compost 12c per kg
    Recycle free

Based on my previous 12 months I will be paying much the same. The only concern I have is my compost always shows 7kg when it always feels a lot heavier!!!! I don't believe they have been weighed to date.

Any news from Greenstar anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Barna
    Service charge €17 pm
    Waste 22c per kg
    Compost 12c per kg
    Recycle free

Based on my previous 12 months I will be paying much the same. The only concern I have is my compost always shows 7kg when it always feels a lot heavier!!!!

Are you sure about the €17 pm? My service charge is €8.50 pm but we dont have a compost collection.

red sean wrote: »
    Are you sure about the €17 pm? My service charge is €8.50 pm but we dont have a compost collection.

Thats info I got from them. My SC is currently €8.50pm also.

Just heard from Greenstar;

Service charge €13pm
    Waste 25c per kg
    Compost 16c per kg
    Recycling foc

Based on my 12 monthly with Barna, Greenstar are €35 cheaper.

Just heard from Greenstar;

Service charge €13pm
    Waste 25c per kg
    Compost 16c per kg
    Recycling foc

Based on my 12 monthly with Barna, Greenstar are €35 cheaper.

13 a month before I even put my bins out? I might not even put mine out once a month!

:(

Barna
    Service charge €17 pm
    Waste 22c per kg
    Compost 12c per kg
    Recycle free

Based on my previous 12 months I will be paying much the same. The only concern I have is my compost always shows 7kg when it always feels a lot heavier!!!! I don't believe they have been weighed to date.

I rang Barna and my waste output is similar,so little difference in the charges for my household.Glad the recycling is free,about time,it will encourage more people to recycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dk1979

Does anyone know of any way to measure the weight of your refuse bin. When I log on to my Greenstar account on their website it gives you a history of your refuse lifts with weights included. They do not seem to be very accurate - Does anyone know if they are??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

dk1979 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any way to measure the weight of your refuse bin. When I log on to my Greenstar account on their website it gives you a history of your refuse lifts with weights included. They do not seem to be very accurate - Does anyone know if they are??

If you don't have a scale, how do you know they're not accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

red sean wrote: »

Here in Meath it is €15 service charge per month up from 13, General waste is 25 cent / kg and compost 15 cent /kg.
    It is a licence to print money, wonder if those Tipp heads would have voted for Kelly if they knew what was coming!

Advertisement