Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bin collecting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

glaswegian wrote: »
    does anyone know what would happen if you don't register with any waste company.i compost/feed the hens with most of my waste
    (not that there's much of it)and i don't fancy being steamrollered into signing up to a contract i neither want or need through fear of prosecution.

You can bring your waste to a recycling centre/waste disposal site (like greenstar have on the Quays), you must keep all receipts for 3 years and be able to present them if asked. AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I got another leaflet in the door from McGraths today. This one had prices on it; there's only 2 options:
    • Option 1- €275 (€27.50/m) 1x 240L Green bin, 1x240L Blue bin, 1x240L Brown bin
    • Option 2- €240 (€24/m) 1x140L Green bin, 1x240L Blue bin, 1x240L Brown bin

Note this is for March-December

I have a feeling they were waiting for Barna to release their prices. Either way I'm not signing up with them as they're more expensive than Barna. Do Greenstar collect south of Sligo town?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Ya, mcgraths are only offering a flat fee which they're not supposed to. I emailed the council and got this reply :
    'We are still in discussions with some of the Waste Collectors in regard to their payment structures and offering more options for their customers in compliance with the new regulations.  It is a requirement of the Bye-Laws to offer a ‘pay per weight’ and ‘pay per lift’ option.  McGraths at the moment seem to be offering only the flat fee which is something they will need to address. 
    However, if you wish to register as soon as possible, perhaps you might consider Barna Waste?  They have a range of options available in compliance with the new requirements.  Whoever you decide to go with, I would advise you to buy a surplus supply of pre-paid bags from your retailer before Monday as they will not be available following this.  Bags can be presented for Waste Collection until your supply runs out or alternatively if the required bins have been delivered to your home and you still have bags, your Waste Collector will take your bags off you and credit your account in return.'

Greenstar don't operate out here and I'm waiting to see if mcgraths come back with anything better before signing up with Barna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Looks like someone paid the council:)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

The council are directly advertising Barna? Something fishy there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I got another leaflet in the door from McGraths today. This one had prices on it; there's only 2 options:
    • Option 1- €275 (€27.50/m) 1x 240L Green bin, 1x240L Blue bin, 1x240L Brown bin
    • Option 2- €240 (€24/m) 1x140L Green bin, 1x240L Blue bin, 1x240L Brown bin
    Note this is for March-December

I have a feeling they were waiting for Barna to release their prices. Either way I'm not signing up with them as they're more expensive than Barna. Do Greenstar collect south of Sligo town?

I got the same leaflet too and when I saw the prices I threw it straight in the bin. Its nothing short of a bloody joke and the waste companies must think that all their Christmasses have come at once if they honest to God think we can even afford to pay these absolute ridiculous prices. I dont know about a green bin, a blue bin and a brown bin, for 240 Euro I would want a 24 carot gold bin!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

whatswhat wrote: »
    I got the same leaflet too and when I saw the prices I threw it straight in the bin. Its nothing short of a bloody joke and the waste companies must think that all their Christmasses have come at once if they honest to God think we can even afford to pay these absolute ridiculous prices. I dont know about a green bin, a blue bin and a brown bin, for 240 Euro I would want a 24 carot gold bin!!!!

That's only for part of the year. It's 330 for the full year.

Crazy prices. As was said up thread it's those with less waste that will be worse off now

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

barneyrub wrote: »
    That's only for part of the year. It's 330 for the full year.

Crazy prices. As was said up thread it's those with less waste that will be worse off now

Well in that case I would want a 24 carot gold bin, encrusted in diamonds!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am still yet to see any literature from Greenstar on their charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Can't understand why they aren't out there competing with Barna! If you go on website it only mentions 2 bins for my area in town!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I know, and neither barna or greenstar have the info for domestic customers on their websites. This whole thing is so stereotypically Irish it's almost funny. But anyway greenstar is now 4euro something per month standing charge which is a rise, and the food bin is meant to be six euro which is a joke. When the thirty odd euro I have with greenstar runs out I'll probably switch to barna as their food bin is 2 euro.

But I am really interested to see what happens if you don't put out your food bin as regards your account balances with each company. Since you are 'obliged' to put it out every two weeks, will they just be deducting this automatically regardless of whether the bin is put out. Because I am not putting it out if it is not full or if I am away for a few days, etc. I still maintain that the only way to do this fairly and to get people to cooperate is include the feckin food bin in the standing charge. Simples. It's biodegradable waste anyway, and many households won't even fill them in two weeks. But then again, common sense does not enter into the decisions of the council or EU, with their lovely jobs they won't be burdened by an increase like this.

And as has been said, for people like myself who produce little waste as it is, this is a major increase, but for those who produce a lot of waste, it is much cheaper. Great job EU, great job Co. Council! I think I'll have to start producing more waste somehow to get my money's worth of these standing charges and 'obliged' bin collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Does anyone have a link to anywhere that says you have to put out the food bin every two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

AgileMyth: "The state of the Irish public. Complain about every new tax and price hike for about two days then go and queue to sign up for it."

Read somewhere that only 42% of us inform ourselves through on-line newspapers (and I suppose forums also). Pretty telling. But then James Watson , NObel Winner did say lately that the downfall of the Irish is ignorance..

Please read the article below carefully. Jim O'Sullivan dissects these bye-laws, maybe calls their bluff.

Very good comment , opinion follows the article worth a read. People are cottoning on gradually.

www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=29621

had no idea that foreign Risk Capital firms are buying out our waste collectors. V bad for the future - poor service, only the bottom line matters to these quick-buck merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to anywhere that says you have to put out the food bin every two weeks?

http://www.sligococo.ie/media/FAQs_WasteManagment.pdf

page 2, q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

This thread reminds me that Tony Soprano's official job title was waste management consultant, he would have loved this racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It's an €80 per year tax. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

More like a protection racket, pay for a service you don't require or face the consequences.

The upshot its that many people will burn some will dump and the refuse companies make more money for less work, that the important thing, it won't be them picking hazardous rubbish out of split bin liners in inaccessible parts of scenic areas.

another legacy of Hubert's reign of error, surely the worst man to come to Sligo since Sir Frederick Hamilton burnt the town and abbey in Cromwellian times.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

It's an €80 per year tax. That's all.

I was told the white bin bags can still be bought in Sligo Town. Anyone know where?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

You don’t actually need to sign up with a waste company.

I rang the environmental section of the council and had a long conversation with the environmental officer.
    First off I explained my situation at the moment, I recycle everything I can at the local amenity site, I have a garden composter (they are in Aldi this week for €20) and foods scraps are given to the dog, I put a bin out about four times a year.
    I was annoyed at the idea of doing my best to “reduce, reuse recycle” and being forced to sign up with a contractor and pay flat fees before bins are emptied. Also the bye laws stated that the contractors must offer a pay per weigh system which some are not, they are taking up that issue with them.

Anyway she explained that I can continue as I am and instead of putting out a waste bin the few times a year I do, I would have to bring it to the civic amenity site, questioned on where these are, the only one that accepts waste (as opposed to recycling) is on Deepwater Quay, however if there was demand it is possible it could be rolled out in Tubbercurry also.

Doing this I was assured would keep me compliant with the new bye laws and yet I don’t have to sign up with an operator.
    Also bin sharing is allowed, you and a neighbour / family member can share a bin, thereby halving the standing charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

No sign of any brown bins in town yet, Greenstar haven't delivered any to our house even though we've been signed up with them for over a year and we are supposed to be complying with these new regulations by 4th March, which is middle of next week.

• Advertisement

I'm with Barna and we got the brown bins. I'm in town.

I got a 5 litre kitchen caddy and biodegradable liners from Amazon.

You don’t actually need to sign up with a waste company.

I rang the environmental section of the council and had a long conversation with the environmental officer.
    First off I explained my situation at the moment, I recycle everything I can at the local amenity site, I have a garden composter (they are in Aldi this week for €20) and foods scraps are given to the dog, I put a bin out about four times a year.
    I was annoyed at the idea of doing my best to “reduce, reuse recycle” and being forced to sign up with a contractor and pay flat fees before bins are emptied. Also the bye laws stated that the contractors must offer a pay per weigh system which some are not, they are taking up that issue with them.

Anyway she explained that I can continue as I am and instead of putting out a waste bin the few times a year I do, I would have to bring it to the civic amenity site, questioned on where these are, the only one that accepts waste (as opposed to recycling) is on Deepwater Quay, however if there was demand it is possible it could be rolled out in Tubbercurry also.

Doing this I was assured would keep me compliant with the new bye laws and yet I don’t have to sign up with an operator.
    Also bin sharing is allowed, you and a neighbour / family member can share a bin, thereby halving the standing charges.

That's correct. I've been telling people that for weeks. Remember, you must keep receipts for 3 years. Evidence for inspector if he ever calls!

It's working out cheaper for me.

It's working out cheaper for me.

Cheaper than what?

Cheaper than what?

Than what I paid previously.

Than what I paid previously.

Oh right, I thought you meant cheaper than not registering.

Oh right, I thought you meant cheaper than not registering.

No, I want the collections.

It was costing me €36 a month, now it should be €26ish a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Does anyone know if Greenstar in Deepwater Quay has a general waste drop off, or is that the same place as the Civic Amenity Site, and what the costs are.

Cant see anything on the Greenstar website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Does anyone know if Greenstar in Deepwater Quay has a general waste drop off, or is that the same place as the Civic Amenity Site, and what the costs are.

Cant see anything on the Greenstar website.

They do, its a bit further down from the recycling site AFAIK, no idea on price, someone mentioned here €5 per bag, which sounds expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

So I'm wondering about this 35kg and how likely it would be to go over it?? 2 adult 1 toddler still in nappies and our ashes from fire need to go in bin.
    We would have put our bin out once every 4 weeks and it would be full to the brim, pretty heavy but no idea on weight. Might just go with mc graths if we'd be over the 35kg???

Advertisement