Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

NTMK wrote: »
    the shareholders dont seem to have the power with nintendo with the company being run like a dictatorship under iwata and the way the managers want the son of the previous CE to take over

i would like to see Ninty America gain more influence as they seem to know what they're doing

if nintendo left it to the US arm to deal with third parties things would be a lot better

If nintendo go mobile gaming to me will be dead as they're one of the very last companies that dont attempt to nickel and dime you

I wouldn't. I think that is what the Xbox and PS are. I hope Nintendo regain their past success, but I don't think Mobile phones/tablets are the way either.
    They could build a PS/Xbox type console and make some serious cash, with their own games and 3rd party on it. I'm sure they know that, and have chosen not to, yet.
    I don't think i'd like to see smash bros brawl available on Steam... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

NTMK wrote: »
    the shareholders dont seem to have the power with nintendo with the company being run like a dictatorship under iwata and the way the managers want the son of the previous CE to take over

i would like to see Ninty America gain more influence as they seem to know what they're doing

if nintendo left it to the US arm to deal with third parties things would be a lot better

If nintendo go mobile gaming to me will be dead as they're one of the very last companies that dont attempt to nickel and dime you

If I remember correctly Nintendo america were the ones who turned down on multiple occasions bringing Xenoblade chronicles, last story and pandora tower over to the us

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I doubt there's any turmoil in Nintendo management and more arguing with clueless shareholders. Nintendo are right to stay out of mobile. It's a bubble at the moment. It will burst then stabilise and that will be the time to evaluate. Their handhelds are still going strong and the success of the 3DS proves there is a market to be shared with mobile.

As for Nintendo of America being better at dealing with third parties, absolute nonsense. It's nothing to do with Nintendo of Japan being strict, that was back in 1997. Nintendo are as receptive as MS and Sony. The problem is install base. If your console hasn't a big install base then there's not many people to sell your game to so third parties won't develop for it. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Got Wonderfull 101 with my Mario Kart free game download....

There's such a reeeeek of "New Hardware Launch Title" off it that it's unbearable.

Turned it off after an hour, not sure i'll return to it

Cormac... wrote: »
    Got Wonderfull 101 with my Mario Kart free game download....

There's such a reeeeek of "New Hardware Launch Title" off it that it's unbearable.

Turned it off after an hour, not sure i'll return to it

How do you mean?

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    How do you mean?

Just the over use of the Wii U controller, having played both Marios, Pikmin 2, Windwaker HD and Mario Kart 8, it just seemed a bit over the top.

My main issue was with the making circles and shapes on the pad screen, though i will admit its obvious they were keen to show off/justify/implement the new hardware.

I just felt it wasn't for me, maybe had i played more DS/3DS it wouldn't have been as jarring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unheard that game has a bit of a learning curve.takes a while to get into it before it clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Just the over use of the Wii U controller, having played both Marios, Pikmin 2, Windwaker HD and Mario Kart 8, it just seemed a bit over the top.

My main issue was with the making circles and shapes on the pad screen, though i will admit its obvious they were keen to show off/justify/implement the new hardware.

I just felt it wasn't for me, maybe had i played more DS/3DS it wouldn't have been as jarring

Can't you use the right-analog stick instead of drawing on the touchscreen? I remember reading that before, still haven't started playing the game.

Just the over use of the Wii U controller....

I love The Wonderful 101.. I think it's an excellent game, I was just curious as to what you meant.

You'll hate the rumoured sequel (The wonderful 102 :pac:) then, as it may incorporate Mii's too.. :)

I wait with baited breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So what are people looking forward to in the coming year, I know I will be picking up Hyrule Warriors, Dex, Armikrog, Bayonetta 2, Devils Third, Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda and would love to see Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Fatal Frame 5 and Dragon Quest 10 get a localisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If interested in Hyrule Warriors, remember there's a dedicated Direct on tomorrow morning at 5am, which I guess means it'll be in Japanese.

abbir wrote: »
    Can't you use the right-analog stick instead of drawing on the touchscreen? I remember reading that before, still haven't started playing the game.

Yes you're right actually, anyway it was just a lot on the screen for me to be dealing with. If i was 10 years younger, maybe, i might give it another go sometime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

W101's controls are probably less down to the hardware, and more to do with Kamiya's interests - drawing shapes also figured in Okami, and using the analogue stick was said to be the true way to play 101, with the touchscreen a 'simplified' approach.

Its a decent game, but with numerous flaws. Personally I was OK with the shapes, but the camera, the frequent vehicle sections, unintuitive environments, repetitive enemies...not so OK with them. I usually hate decimal scoring, but W101 is a 6.9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Had my buddy over for a bit and we fired up Mariokart 8. Played online 2 player and it was some great crack.
    MK games really work only when you play with similar skill people. Playing against 3 people locally who were **** at it was boring :(.

My buddy sow Wii U for the first time and he actually liked it. Looks like we will have a lot more MK8 in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

To those unfortunates who don't have a WiiU yet, poor sad fools, here is a post worth reading from the Nintendo forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91647401&postcount=1585

A WiiU for 3DS money, €189.99 and two games as well.
    As the post says, you'll have to get a little hdd to go along with, but that's probably inevitable anyway, even the PS4 and XB1 will need expansion at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

^ good deal.

Actually whats the deal with running NetFlix on the WiiU?
    As long as you have your netflix account you are good to go? or do you have to pay for a type of 'live' service first (eg, like xbox)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

^ good deal.

As long as you have your netflix account you are good to go? or do you have to pay for a type of 'live' service first (eg, like xbox)

Your good to go, no service like that or anything.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    To those unfortunates who don't have a WiiU yet, poor sad fools, here is a post worth reading from the Nintendo forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91647401&postcount=1585

A WiiU for 3DS money, €189.99 and two games as well.
    As the post says, you'll have to get a little hdd to go along with, but that's probably inevitable anyway, even the PS4 and XB1 will need expansion at some point.

Amazon.it have been running the same deal for the last 2 weeks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I thought Microsoft got rid of that requirement in one of their latest updates. So none of the three consoles require an extra subscription on top of the Netflix one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's nice on the WiiU because you can watch on the touch pad while others watch regular TV on the, well the TV, or vice versa.
    Of course, any tablet that has Netflix as an app will do the same thing so....
    But it is kinda cool.
    Actually, I've been watching youtube videos of full Twilight Zone and Phil Silvers shows on the YouTube channel on the WiiU, throwing them onto the TV or Touchpad as required, very handy.

• Advertisement

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/21/amazon-says-wii-u-game-pre-orders-increased-the-most-after-gamescom/

Seems Nintendo momentum continues after the increasing interest after e3 for wii u gamescom showed great interest and according to amazon pre orders increased most for nintendo platform.

christmas should prove positive for nintendo as long smash bros does not get a delay , and with amiibos coming around the same time period I believe nintendo are looking to turn there toy brand into a bllion dollar industry in itself

Very interesting indeed. The Wii U really is the ideal "companion console" and I don't mean that in derisory way at all. Anyone who isn't getting value from a X-Box One or PS4 alone and doesn't want to own both, this really is a great idea. Some really fun games and for once it looks like Nintendo are going to have a lot of 1st party IP games land in quick succession

wants most interesting is there is more interest in the system now with no 3rd party support than its first for when it had 3rd party support.

wii u might make gamecube numbers but It does no matter as long as the games are great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

wants most interesting is there is more interest in the system now with no 3rd party support than its first for when it had 3rd party support.

wii u might make gamecube numbers but It does no matter as long as the games are great. :D

Looks like the other way around according to them. More publishers leaving Wii U, which is a bit stupid.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ukoyqx/gt-news-new-resident-evil-leaked-and-more-publishers-leaving-wii-u

cant compete with there install base ? hmm last time I checked wii u is hitting 7 million while xbox one just hit 5 so that excuses is not valid.

Ubisoft fiasco with ceo saying nintendo don't buy mature games and prefer games like just dance is also stupid since ubisoft best selling game is zombi u with nearly 1 million copies sold as last time I checked t was around the 700k mark. rayman legends also sold better on wii u than other consoles.

porting bad ports of franchises to a system that was new and never played previous games such as eas mass effect 3 or ubisoft assassin creed 3 and 4 I do not see how you could expect them to sell well in the first place.

then you have the case for yacht games shovel knights sales were 27 per cent of wii u and that is in north america alone as the game has not reached eshop for europe or japan yet and one of the developers said that the wii u attach rate was high when it came to game sales.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-06-shovel-knight-sales-surpass-devs-lifetime-estimate-in-one-month

Its become the case publishers do not want to risk bringing there games over and when they have they are pretty awful ports or missing features.
    so instead of trying to make there titles established on nintendo platforms and making more money they choose not to.

forgot one more point , there is a very good chance sony could go bust if its not evident enough of the billions they lost in may that they were even shocked by also the lay offs of naughty dog , infamous few days ago , closing of pc and other electronics you would think for publishers if anything happened to sony you have microsoft whos future is up in the air as we do not know do they even want to be apart of the gaming industry after xbox one so you are left with pc and nintendo and ms if they are around.

its not reliable for publishers to survive just 2 platforms and mobile is very hit or miss. so Instead of going oh we should bring our games to the 7 million install base on nintendo they are like nope we dont need em .

alot of studios went bust due to losing money , sometimes you have to take the chance to seek the rewards

It makes sense for Ubisoft and Activision to do so. I mean lets face it, who buys a wiiU to play assassins creed or Watchdogs? However I do think there is a market for a mature game on the WiiU, but one that uses the exclusive features of the system. People will just get it for the other consoles otherwise even if they own a WiiU.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not forgetting how Ubisoft have been treating the Wii U versions of their games, if they were released at the same time as the other platforms. Like announcing the Wii U version of AC wouldn't get DLC. Then they'll probably point at Watch Dogs not selling well on Wii U as a reason to not go back to it, ignoring the fact the game has been out for months on other platforms.

Its a better case to relelase games like red steel or some games to nintendo platforms than simply writing it as a place to store your shovelware crap like wii.

Is it more of a case that they do not feel there games could compete with nintendo ips as thats why the majority of nintendo consumers are ?

The WiiU isn't popular enough to support shovelware, that will be heading for the PS4 :)

• Advertisement

For anyone who still thinks Nintendo do not support mature games :)

Advertisement