Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I did however enjoy Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 but that felt much less to am extent of a mario game you could of thrown kirby in there and it would still be a amazing.
    That is one of the points that non Ninty fans find hard to fathom, they think one Mario game is the same, when the Galaxy series are superb and it's quite independent of the character in the lead role, you could stick Bubsy in there and it'd still be great.
    Mario bros and mario 3 I still consider the best mario games , everything else I dont really care for in the mario franchise.

Mario Bros 3 is amazing, there's a sizeable group out there who rate it over Super Mario World, I'm not in that group, as much as I loved SMB3, SMW is simply perfect, never topped on any platform and I'll be surprised if it ever is.

But, we all have our crossed to bear, my favourite Sonic game is Sonic 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That is one of the points that non Ninty fans find hard to fathom, they think one Mario game is the same, when the Galaxy series are superb and it's quite independent of the character in the lead role, you could stick Bubsy in there and it'd still be great.

Mario Bros 3 is amazing, there's a sizeable group out there who rate it over Super Mario World, I'm not in that group, as much as I loved SMB3, SMW is simply perfect, never topped on any platform and I'll be surprised if it ever is.

But, we all have our crossed to bear, my favourite Sonic game is Sonic 3!

Funny enough Sonic 2 is my favourite platformer of all time though Sonic 3 is a very close second :L

isnt the way nintendo make there games is they make the game then decide which one of there characters fit best into the game ?

thats what the slpatoon team were saying at e3 , I fnd that very interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just finished Wind Waker HD. Now THAT'S a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

Does it then translate that you prefer Sonic Lost World to Super Mario 3D World?
    Say it ain't so Richie, Say it ain't so!

I definitely prefer lost world to 3dworld.
    3d adventure platformer versus a isometric(read:2d pretending to be 3d) platformer.
    They're both great, but 3dworld's crown world just let a sour taste in my mouth "this is soooo hard because you need to do 50 things in a row", I'm not a fan of dark souls style "difficulty".

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

What's the best deal on a wii u at the moment? Gamestop had a great one but looks like none now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

rafi bomb wrote: »
    What's the best deal on a wii u at the moment? Gamestop had a great one but looks like none now

Whole thread dedicated to it buddy, may have to skip back a few pages, alot of N64 reminiscing going on last few ages :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057224290&page=16

I found gamestop done the best deal with regards to getting the most games, but smyths do a decent deal too if the gamestop one has finished. You can find some decent cheap deals online too, it all depends on what games you want i guess, MK8 is a good one to get with a free game download with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

nix wrote: »
    Whole thread dedicated to it buddy, may have to skip back a few pages, alot of N64 reminiscing going on last few ages :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057224290&page=16

I found gamestop done the best deal with regards to getting the most games, but smyths do a decent deal too if the gamestop one has finished. You can find some decent cheap deals online too, it all depends on what games you want i guess, MK8 is a good one to get with a free game download with it..

Thanks. Oh Oh Most definitely getting mk8. The whole reason I'm getting one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I definitely prefer lost world to 3dworld.
    3d adventure platformer versus a isometric(read:2d pretending to be 3d) platformer.
    They're both great, but 3dworld's crown world just let a sour taste in my mouth "this is soooo hard because you need to do 50 things in a row", I'm not a fan of dark souls style "difficulty".

A 3D adventure platformer?
    As opposed to an isometric platformer?
    Both are played in a 3 dimensional space, requiring use of all cardinal directions, and I think the Mario game uses both horizontal and vertical space a bit better than the Sonic title does, in fact the latter is mostly a linear affair and there's much on rails to boot.
    Mario is played at a slower pace, slower than Galaxy, encouraging exploration of the levels, with bonuses cleverly placed to encourage.
    Sonic is, and always was, more preoccupation with dashing through at high speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Thread inspired a revisit to Lost World and, you know what, I'm really bloody well enjoying it second time around. Much more than I did originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

So, What you're saying is, these figures are meaningless and we'll wait for the June figures.

Though, yes, WiiU owners are, in general, having a pretty damn good time.

A game as hyped as Mario generally would ship most of the new units in the first day or two. It looks as if software sales are very good but mostly by existing Wii U owners and that would make sense considering their most loyal fans have already got it.

Have you got the game and if so are you enjoying it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just finished Wind Waker HD. Now THAT'S a game.

Hey I'm only an hour in. Any idea how many hours it took you? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Mario's objection to Lost World.

14503618393_07476fa7fb_c.jpg

Why did Nintendo not do an official Mario 3d world bundle like they did with MK8?

Just thought it would have made sense with it being the most popular game on the system so far.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    A game as hyped as Mario generally would ship most of the new units in the first day or two. It looks as if software sales are very good but mostly by existing Wii U owners and that would make sense considering their most loyal fans have already got it.

Have you got the game and if so are you enjoying it?

I don't know anything about the sales figures tbh, I'm only taking the Internet at its word, this doesn't always end well!

And, yes, I have it and it's excellent.
    I had my two teenage nieces over and they haven't played anything bar Skyrim, Portal and Tomb Raider in a couple of years, they spent 2 hours playing Mario Kart 8 and loved it.

But it really is something special, it's just unfortunate that most people probably won't get to even try it.

It is remarkable that a console no more powerful than a PS3/360 should be able to produce a title that simply has no equal on the PS3/360 , despite those consoles considerable life spans.

I don't know anything about the sales figures tbh, I'm only taking the Internet at its word, this doesn't always end well!

And, yes, I have it and it's excellent.
    I had my two teenage nieces over and they haven't played anything bar Skyrim, Portal and Tomb Raider in a couple of years, they spent 2 hours playing Mario Kart 8 and loved it.

But it really is something special, it's just unfortunate that most people probably won't get to even try it.

It is remarkable that a console no more powerful than a PS3/360 should be able to produce a title that simply has no equal on the PS3/360 , despite those consoles considerable life spans.

It's a pity the Wii and the Wii U couldn't have swapped places. Imagine if the Wii U had the Wii's sales figures with that game out. My sister had a Wii so if a game came out for it that i wanted I'd buy or rent it. She's moved onto games like gta now so no Wii U so people like me won't ever get to play it.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    It's a pity the Wii and the Wii U couldn't have swapped places. Imagine if the Wii U had the Wii's sales figures with that game out. My sister had a Wii so if a game came out for it that i wanted I'd buy or rent it. She's moved onto games like gta now so no Wii U so people like me won't ever get to play it.

Unless you do the unthinkable... And buy one!
    All it takes is one or two games, one or two must haves that do it better than anyone else.
    I would argue that Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 fulfil that requirement but you'll have two of your own I presume, and then you'll be compelled to buy a WiiU.
    Maybe a new F Zero, maybe Metroid Prime returning, perhaps the teased Legend of Zelda title is one of them, but it'll be something you just can't get anywhere else.

It's reminiscent of owning a Megadrive and seeing no reason to ever get a Snes before seeing Super Mario World, Super Metroid and Star Wing and having your mind made up then and there.

Unless you do the unthinkable... And buy one!
    All it takes is one or two games, one or two must haves that do it better than anyone else.
    I would argue that Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 fulfil that requirement but you'll have two of your own I presume, and then you'll be compelled to buy a WiiU.
    Maybe a new F Zero, maybe Metroid Prime returning, perhaps the teased Legend of Zelda title is one of them, but it'll be something you just can't get anywhere else.

It's reminiscent of owning a Megadrive and seeing no reason to ever get a Snes before seeing Super Mario World, Super Metroid and Star Wing and having your mind made up then and there.

Honestly is no point. I just spent 400$ on a PS4 and I don't have enough time for it even. I could have easily waited till next year with how little free time I have. And now the summer is here the weather is class and I don't feel like gaming at all! If you can find me a well paid low hour job I'll buy one straight away lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Myself and the missus are gonna go splits on a WiiU soon after playing one in GameStop.

We decided it right after we disinfected our hands and vowed never to touch sticky shop controllers again.

Not as bad as buying a second hand Wii and seeing the state of the controllers.
    I swear if they took a few swabs from those and sent them to the lab those controllers would wind up in a WHO research facility somewhere.
    It's the slightly tacky feel, and the unidentified crap that seems to collect in the grooves in the casing and around the buttons that causes the most concern.
    But then you don't know what sort of ass scratching, nose picking, groin juggling numpty was using it before you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Wii U has become my main gaming machine in the last 4-5 months. Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World, Zelda, MK8 and all the E-Shop stuff.

• Advertisement

I seem to finding gaming time evaporating lately, while once i got a couple of hours in a day now it's a couple of hours a week.
    Some of my collection is looking for 40/50 hours to complete so, really, what's the point?
    But then, I pick more up anyways :(

I am sinking available time into the WiiU though, as well as the 3DS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I seem to finding gaming time evaporating lately, while once i got a couple of hours in a day now it's a couple of hours a week.
    Some of my collection is looking for 40/50 hours to complete so, really, what's the point?
    But then, I pick more up anyways :(

I am sinking available time into the WiiU though, as well as the 3DS.

Same here. Squeeze in an 1/2 to an hour of mk8 once or twice a week, with like maybe 10mins of Pokemon X on the go. But I picked up Metroid Prime T and a free Wind Waker download recently. Time to play those two? Forget about it.

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Same here. Squeeze in an 1/2 to an hour of mk8 once or twice a week, with like maybe 10mins of Pokemon X on the go. But I picked up Metroid Prime T and a free Wind Waker download recently. Time to play those two? Forget about it.

I might suggest you make the time to play Metroid Prime trilogy, particularly the beautiful and balanced first one.
    Man, games like that are the reason I play video games.

I might suggest you make the time to play Metroid Prime trilogy, particularly the beautiful and balanced first one.
    Man, games like that are the reason I play video games.

Got Metroid prime 3 in the post today, just need my wii remote and nunchuck to arrive, didnt bother with the trilogy as its still rather pricey to pick up, 100 quid approx.. Big mistake? >_<

I did play most of the first one on the gamecube but didnt get to finish (atleast im pretty sure this is the one in the trilogy), gave the cube a lend to a friend and he broke it, so i never got to finish it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

nix wrote: »
    Got Metroid prime 3 in the post today, just need my wii remote and nunchuck to arrive, didnt bother with the trilogy as its still rather pricey to pick up, 100 quid approx..

The Trilogy was going in Tesco for €10 a couple of weeks ago, but a few people went in and grabbed them all.. So it's unlikely you'll see them at a decent price..

Allyall wrote: »
    The Trilogy was going in Tesco for €10 a couple of weeks ago, but a few people went in and grabbed them all.. So it's unlikely you'll see them at a decent price..

Go again, it was only a fiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Go again, it was only a fiver!
    :eek:

9TzE8byac.gif

I ransacked 4 Tescos looking. I'd say I looked like an eejit trying to see them bottom shelves, Women folk trying to pass me to do their shopping..
    I found none.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Allyall wrote: »
    I'd say I looked like an eejit trying to see them bottom shelves, Women folk trying to pass me to do their shopping.

Pervert :P

What.....

Tescos ive been in didnt even have Wii games

They were selling the trilogy for €10????? Where?

Why are all on amazon like £90+??

WTF!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Look, let's have a pact - if you find a shelf of them, pick a bunch up for the Boardsies and sell them on at cost.

(Since I already know my local doesn't have any, I fully endorse this pact)

Advertisement