Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, on the one hand you have people who want something different from what went before, on the other you have those who don't want it too different.
    There are really those who will find fault, regardless of the title.
    I have the played the golf game in the demo and was well impressed.
    Makes you also realise what a Tiger Woods title could do with the technique, something that can't be offered on any other single format, console or PC.

Not so, i'd be happy if they stayed essentially the same in their controls etc. I kind of enjoyed the "pick-up-and-play party" aspect of the sports games. Of course it makes very little odds as I can still play wii sports and sports resort on my wii u. But I just feel like i'm missing out on the new stuff. I guess the proof will be in the pudding with the wii u sports boxed release. I never enjoy golf games when they are too serious. I'm more of an "arcade" sports game player :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well it uses Motion Plus and frankly I always found it very good at reacting to your real life movements, while being fun. It's not something that youtube vids will gives you the full story on. IT would be worth picking up if you can get one 2nd hand. If you don't like it sell it on. But it's really nothing like Wii Sports Tennis it feels more like a proper game. Of course i'm not a tennis player but this is a good game and well worth a shot. Like the ever so slight twist of your wrist as you swing will give you top/bottom spin, and depending on how you follow through after making contact with the ball will determine the arc of the ball and make it go closer to the edges

I'll grab it if I see a copy so and let ya know the result.

For now I'll stick to the golf as it frustrates me a lot less especially after a few nice beers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Good things for the WiiU,

Mario Kart 8 has sold 2 million copies, and as Mario Kart games sell over the lifetime of the console this is likely to be no where near the final number sold, plus we have the Amiibo integration to come, which can only spur on more sales this Christmas.

link

The demo of Legend of Zelda seen at the recent E3 was running on an actual WiiU, and not a PC pretending to be the hardware.

link

Bayonetta 2 isn't out as yet, and with the original game included as a bonus it is looking like another must have, but Platinum are saying they are happy to go again, making Bayonetta 3 if the market demands it, and it'll be a Nintendo exclusive as well,
    link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Can't be doing too bad if iwata was re elected because sales are up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I finally put my money where my mouth was today. :)

14527208335_42bd6be99d_z.jpg

I wasn't planning on picking up Blacklist or Black Flag but they were going for half nothing so I couldn't pass them up. Black Flag will be my first Assassins Creed since No.2 so it might be nice to jump back into the series.

I'll have to decide what the free downloadable game will be. Swaying towards SMB at the moment. Great problem to have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No Monster hunter though... You make me sick! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

He can choose it as his free game with MK8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Pac1Man wrote: »

I wasn't planning on picking up Blacklist or Black Flag but they were going for half nothing so I couldn't pass them up. Black Flag will be my first Assassins Creed since No.2 so it might be nice to jump back into the series.

I'll have to decide what the free downloadable game will be. Swaying towards SMB at the moment. Great problem to have!

How much was Lego City? And where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

:D I have for the 3DS but have yet to give it a proper go. The first time I switched it on, my primary thought was that there's a lot to take in. Then I got scared, switched it off and stuck in Luigi's Mansion! Just waiting for a rainy day to try again.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »

They were all bought in Smyths. Lego City was €50, so no deal to be found there. In total it came to €380 which I thought was decent with 5 games (4 physical, 1 downloadable).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

HMV/Xtravision are selling it for €30 at the moment, might have to go looking for it though

• Advertisement

HMV/Xtravision are selling it for €30 at the moment, might have to go looking for it though

The big box version?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Pac1Man wrote: »

14527208335_42bd6be99d_z.jpg

How much it set you back for everything? I want one ish but im waiting on the right deal to pop out at me

basically can get a wii u and 3 games for 289 but what 3 do I pick

Zelda WindWaker HD ( Wii U )
    Add
    FIFA 13 ( Wii U )
    Add
    Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed ( Wii U )
    Add
    Nintendo Land ( Wii U )
    Lego city undercover

I have sonic for the vita so probably not much point so really between fifa and Nintendo land. Fifa even worth it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nintendoland is a nice little compilation of tech demos for the WiiU and it's strengths.
    But you may get bored with that.
    I know nothing about Fifa unfortunately.

Nintendoland is a nice little compilation of tech demos for the WiiU and it's strengths.

Yea I get you.

Any of you order fro gsmestop? It says next day delivery is available but does that mean I need to sign or anyone needs to? Says its free :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

rafi bomb wrote: »

Add
    FIFA 13 ( Wii U )
    Add
    Add
    Nintendo Land ( Wii U )
    Lego city undercover

I have sonic for the vita so probably not much point so really between fifa and Nintendo land. Fifa even worth it?

Zelda, Sonic & All Stars and Lego City are the only 3 sensible options there TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The big box version?

Yes, got it myself in HMV Dundrum at the start of the month for €30 with the minifig. They had another copy too, but I haven't been out there since so I don't know if it is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You could go for Lego City Undercover Wii U + 2 copies of Zelda WindWaker HD

Bring one into CEX and get a €27 Voucher

And buy 2 (With change leftover) or more of these:

NBA 2K13 - €8
    Avengers, the Battle for Earth - €12
    Darksiders 2 - €12
    Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - €12
    Fifa 13 - €12
    Splinter Cell Blacklist - €15
    ZombiU - €15
    Assassin's Creed - €15
    Sports Connection €15
    Deus Ex Human Revolution - €15
    Mass Effect 3 Special Edition - €15 (€12.48 in Argos)
    Warriors Orochi Hyper - €15

And MORE HERE

So, for example you could have Wii U + Lego City Undercover + Zelda WindWaker + Darksiders 2 + Warriors Orochi Hyper

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

rafi bomb wrote: »

Add
    FIFA 13 ( Wii U )
    Add
    Add
    Nintendo Land ( Wii U )
    Lego city undercover

If you already have Sonic then Zelda, Nintendo Land & Lego City.

Nintendo Land is a lot more than a collection of tech demos to be fair to it. But I would say you'll get more out of it with a few people playing together rather than solo.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    If you already have Sonic then Zelda, Nintendo Land & Lego City.

Nintendo Land is a lot more than a collection of tech demos to be fair to it. But I would say you'll get more out of it with a few people playing together rather than solo.

He's right you know.
    I did have a lot of fun with the Donkey Kong game and there is lots of fun to be had with the multiplayer titles there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

He's right you know.
    I did have a lot of fun with the Donkey Kong game and there is lots of fun to be had with the multiplayer titles there.

I had a lot of fun with the Metroid and Pikmin games too. When there's a few people around, the Luigi's Mansion one and Mario Chase usually go down well.

I'd love to see Mario Chase released on its own or even just a dlc for it.

I'd love to see the Donkey Kong one expanded onto the 3DS, I haven't played it in a while but had a blast with it.
    The Chase game is fun, but is there enough to sustain a full game?

I'd love to see the Donkey Kong one expanded onto the 3DS, I haven't played it in a while but had a blast with it.
    The Chase game is fun, but is there enough to sustain a full game?

Maybe just a few new maps. I just love driving my brother mad playing it, seeing as I can't beat him in anything else anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Nintendo posted €72.3m loss this quarter despite mario kart 8 release.

Not good news!

Mario Kart 8 wasn’t enough to save Nintendo from a €72 million loss

http://jrnl.ie/1596539

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario Kart appeared right at the end of that quarter so doubt it will have affected it much. Next quarter should be interesting and holiday sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Honestly? Knowing that Nintendo has such massive resources and they will try to win us over. More deals and they will try harder.
    Lets alone that Mariokart 8 deal. Feck me it was nice. More of those!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Smash is going to be big for them in Xmas. Will be interesting to see if the wiiu keeps up the momentum from mario kart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Face it lads the wii u is the hipsters console. Whos with me in growing an unruly beard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i am certain smash and amiibo will more than apenough cover Nintendo losses and while Mario kart 8 2.82 million sales are impressive consoles are much harder to move in summer time . Christmas time will be interesting to see as I am sure nintendo will bank on it.

Advertisement