Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options
1626364656668»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Jebus Nintendo, how can you keep fking things up this badly. Splitting your customers with a version 1.5 of a console? And it still doesn't deliver the sort of control method people have been crying out for? They have lost the plot entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Shiminay wrote: »
    Jebus Nintendo, how can you keep fking things up this badly. Splitting your customers with a version 1.5 of a console? And it still doesn't deliver the sort of control method people have been crying out for? They have lost the plot entirely.

still does not nearly as annoys me sony abandoning the vita completely and making it a indiestation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Interesting point. I wonder will there be a stream of New 3DS exclusives in the future, abandoning the standard version in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I saw reports there are games in the works for the New 3DS.

I wonder if it still plays DS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

still does not nearly as annoys me sony abandoning the vita completely and making it a indiestation

If the vita had absolutely no more releases of any kind I'd still have enough to keep me going for years. In particular on the RPGs side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So when are they planning on launching this new 3DS? Any price speculations?

I might upgrade my 3ds XL for one when Monster Hunter 4 comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Out early next year outside of Japan, the prices for the 3DS/XL will probably remain as they are now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

True,
    You'll never see the PC gaming market having an incremental update meaning different users have different qualities of experiences depending on their outlay... Oh , wait, you see it all the time!

And how on earth do you or anyone else know if the second control stick is properly implemented or not.
    No demo, just photos and a text description, why not be patient and await a play test of the new devices?

Have you owned a 3ds up to now?
    Were you likely to buy one of the new models, keeping in mind they've been announced only 24 hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I reckon the upgrade will be attractive next year when a few essential titles emerge for the format that require the c button.
    The lack of emphasis on it is appropriate given the lack of its requirement in most Nintendo titles to date, but until I get to try it out I'll reserve judgement on its usefulness.
    Metroid Prime 3D please!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    True,
    You'll never see the PC gaming market having an incremental update meaning different users have different qualities of experiences depending on their outlay... Oh , wait, you see it all the time!

A difference in quality is one thing, not being able to play new games at all is another.

I'm not pushed about the Xenoblade port but if more games start appearing that require the upgraded internals or the new trigger buttons, then that would annoy me. I only recently got an XL, I'm not going to fork out again for another. A circle pad pro fine, but not a new machine entirely.

I know info has only just come out but I noticed the SNES button colours are only shown on the 3DS and not XL version - presumably Nintendo won't make a cockup of leaving the choice at that.

• Advertisement

But we don't know if it won't run on the new hardware
    And there was a precedent in the DS to DSi shift, especially when all those folk has bought into the enormously popular DS Lite and then out came the DSi with improvements all round, including access to a online store.
    And yet the DSi sold huge numbers too and I don't recall DS lite owners feeling terribly hard done by.
    But, I'll grant you, we are in different times and if I'd only picked up a 3DS XL I'd be a bit ticked off too, but aside from Xenoblades it's hard to see a developer making a game exclusively for the updated device, perhaps we are more likely to see titles emerge with features only available to the new console, plus one can assume that functionally the c nubbin and extra buttons replicate the Circle Pad Pro so anything released with that c thingy in mind will have control options for all 3DS owners not just tokes with the "new" machines or the CPadPro.
    The processing power seems to be more aimed at improving the OS and screen, maybe loading times, rather than being essential to gameplay rendering previous consoles obsolete.
    But it's still all mere speculation pending play testing.

Kinda interesting that no mention was made at the E3, though they already had a busy couple of days, and we can assume that this leaves less room for the speculative QoL concept around handheld/console integration.
    Or perhaps we will see 3DS be usable as a auxiliary touch pad for the WiiU seeing as it now will replicate the entire button and feature set of the WiiU controller, including Amibo.
    A WiiU console with a New 3DS as main controller in a pack for Christmas 2015?
    Streaming off screen play to the New 3DS from the WiiU?
    More speculation but sure that's half the fun!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    A difference in quality is one thing, not being able to play new games at all is another.

I'm not pushed about the Xenoblade port but if more games start appearing that require the upgraded internals or the new trigger buttons, then that would annoy me. I only recently got an XL, I'm not going to fork out again for another. A circle pad pro fine, but not a new machine entirely.

I know info has only just come out but I noticed the SNES button colours are only shown on the 3DS and not XL version - presumably Nintendo won't make a cockup of leaving the choice at that.

Theyre on the xl too, the button labels are printed in the snes colours making it harder to spot in the promotional shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think its pretty clear its meant to bridge the gap while Nintendo work on the rumoured combined home console/portable thing. But I'm still excited, and I'm still gonna buy it. I'm hoping xenoblade will mean more ports, and I'm hoping the console will mean maybe (wishful thinking) unified accounts at last, GBA and SNES games on 3DS. If you only ported wii games, you'd have access to of the best zeldas, two of the best marios, etc.

I mean Luigis mansion, as the closest port of a gamecube I can think of on the 3DS, looks fantastic, and it runs great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Theyre on the xl too, the button labels are printed in the snes colours making it harder to spot in the promotional shots.

Not the same thing though. The blue XL model looks nothing like the SNES controller. Anyway, a moot point since I won't be getting either. It might annoy other folk though.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    ... it's hard to see a developer making a game exclusively for the updated device, perhaps we are more likely to see titles emerge with features only available to the new console, plus one can assume that functionally the c nubbin and extra buttons replicate the Circle Pad Pro so anything released with that c thingy in mind will have control options for all 3DS owners not just tokes with the "new" machines or the CPadPro.

That's what I'm hoping. I've no issue with them releasing updated versions of hardware, it's excellent news for those that haven't got a 3DS of any kind (or addicts like you who have to buy every single one! :P), just don't alienate the existing user base when it comes to new games. I'm sure that won't happen though, too much revenue to lose out on if they did.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    I think its pretty clear its meant to bridge the gap while Nintendo work on the rumoured combined home console/portable thing. But I'm still excited, and I'm still gonna buy it. I'm hoping xenoblade will mean more ports, and I'm hoping the console will mean maybe (wishful thinking) unified accounts at last, GBA and SNES games on 3DS. If you only ported wii games, you'd have access to of the best zeldas, two of the best marios, etc.

I mean Luigis mansion, as the closest port of a gamecube I can think of on the 3DS, looks fantastic, and it runs great.

I'd much prefer new games rather than a rake of ports of games I probably already have. That's just me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm sure on a brand new console, we will. On a stand in console, I'm perfectly happy with what we'll get.

Bump. See Bayonetta 2 is now coming out in 3 versions her on October 24th.

The standard version, which does NOT come with the first game. The Limited Edition, which comes with a disc copy of Bayonetta. And the First Print Edition, which is exclusive to Game as usual, comes with a disc copy of Bayonetta, an art book and is packaged in a replica of the angel guide(cant remember its name) from the game.

Edit: Yay, Game are blocking non-UK addresses for the First Print Edition :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Edit: Yay, Game are blocking non-UK addresses for the First Print Edition :(

You could use Parcel Motel, but still that's a load of ass, because Nintendo bundle us in together with the UK.

Allyall wrote: »
    You could use Parcel Motel, but still that's a load of ass, because Nintendo bundle us in together with the UK.

Was just a glitch. Was able to order later in the day. Also Game have Parcel Motel blocked and won't deliver there. Nintendo also had it on their store, but the First Print Edition has now sold out across Europe. 15,300 copies sold in less than 48 hours isn't bad for a Wii U LE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was playing Splatoon earlier. No shortage of players whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I can't find my copy of Mario Kart 8, it's been missing for some time. I think I might have mistakenly thrown it out.

I put on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on as well. There were people online there as well.

But the game I played most online this evening was Call of Duty: Black Ops II. I played team death match, again, plenty of players, though it did drop off as time went on.

I hadn't played my Wii U in ages, though I still use it regularly for its web browser. So I encountered some errors when trying to start up some of the games. I think it's due to failing eMMC chips.

I found a workaround by deleting the updates, but copying my save data over to my SSD, then redownloading the update to there.

The servers for COD: Black Ops II were still working after everything was supposed to be shut. I might try it again tomorrow to see what it's like.

That game was terrific on Wii U. The online was flawless, no crappy phone app for voice chat, just used the gamepad or headset. You could have 2 people play online with the one Wii U, each with their own screen. And this evening when I wanted to use the TV to watch some programmes, I just switched the action to the gamepad as the screen, used the Wii U pro controller and did both.

The Wii U had a tonne of potential that largely went untapped by the majority of developers. Wii U got 2 Call of Duty games and here we are a decade later and Switch has none.

Advertisement